Three days in Chicago: Where should we stay? What should we do? What should we eat and drink? | The Boneyard

Three days in Chicago: Where should we stay? What should we do? What should we eat and drink?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Calling all Chicago peeps (@superjohn , @QDOG5 ) and frequent travelers.

On a whim, because Avelo has a 65% off sale that ends tomorrow, I just booked a long weekend in Chicago for my wife and me in late October. Aside from stopping by for a few hours while driving across the country almost 30 years ago, we have never been.

We already have suggestions from others but I like to hear from the yard. Most of you have a pretty good idea about what I like and like to do. We like to eat and drink and see and do the things you’d recommend to your friends. Foodie stuff and classic stuff. We love live music and similar events (comedy shows? plays?), museums, parks, boat tours, notable sites, unique experiences, etc.

Nothing else booked but the flights (flying into Midway). Accommodations will be next, so any advice there very much appreciated. Hotel or AirBnB? Location?

Anything else that requires advance purchase or reservations next, especially must-hit restaurants or shows.

Oh, and we’d like to not get shot.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions and advice.

Reaction Score
I spent a long weekend there about 5 years ago and stayed in wicker park in a hostel. I don’t think SJ would recommend you do that anymore, but it’s an easy ride from downtown out along the blue line.

The neighborhood and Bucktown nearby were cool, plenty of pubs, and I bet there are tons of foodie options now.

I spent half a day in the AIC and Millenium Park. Bomb bars all around it. Billy Goats is a classic burger spot in the general Loop area I believe, I was very drunk when I visited

Then I would spend a day all round Wrigley, obviously

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Do the architectural boat tour - make sure to do the river and lake one. It’s absolutely stunning seeing all the skyscrapers from the water.
Funny that was the first recommendation my wife’s co-worker gave.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
A couple thoughts:

You absolutely can’t go wrong with the architectural boat tour, but if you’re feeling a bit adventurous you can rent kayaks right on the Chicago river and it’s a completely different and cool perspective.

Wrigley should not be missed even if the cubs are out of town, take the tour.

Grab a city bike and ride along the north shore.

Be careful of river north these days, it’s a lot less safe than it used to be. I’m not saying don’t go there, just be aware of your surroundings.

for food:
if you like SushI, I highly recommend Sunda.

Breakfast: eggys diner near millennium park. See the bean.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I spent a long weekend there about 5 years ago and stayed in wicker park in a hostel. I don’t think SJ would recommend you do that anymore, but it’s an easy ride from downtown out along the blue line.

The neighborhood and Bucktown nearby were cool, plenty of pubs, and I bet there are tons of foodie options now.

I spent half a day in the AIC and Millenium Park. Bomb bars all around it. Billy Goats is a classic burger spot in the general Loop area I believe, I was very drunk when I visited
Then I would spend a day all round Wrigley, obviously
Barring a miracle, unfortunately it won’t still be baseball season for the Cubs this year then.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Sorry for double post, check out the Palmer hotel near millennium park. It’s reasonably priced, comfortable rooms and there’s a huge vaulted ceilings main floor lobby with a posh bar and painted ceilings, feels like you’re staying in a museum.

Reaction Score
Stayed at Radisson Blu last year and enjoyed it. Outdoor pool and tornados. Enjoy! I love walking around that city

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Sorry for double post, check out the Palmer hotel near millennium park. It’s reasonably priced, comfortable rooms and there’s a huge vaulted ceilings main floor lobby with a posh bar and painted ceilings, feels like you’re staying in a museum.
Thanks. Sounds like the kinds of places I like to stay.

Reaction Score
Too bad you’ll miss Wrigley. Best stadium to see a game. Don’t miss Second City.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I assume if you haven't already been to Alinea, you're at least thinking about it.

Wish I could give you something, but a whole bunch of my faves from 90s/00s are gone and all the smoky blues clubs I enjoyed on the South Side are now smoke-free. I would probably go see Second City though. I've always enjoyed that (although I'm not a big fan when they break into song). And if you're near the Bean or Art Museum, there's an Intelligentsia coffee nearby. I'd probably do Topolobampo as I loved that place, but it's been awhile so I'd defer to SJ if it's still wonderful, or if he's got better Mexican sit-down options.

Anyway, I do hope you leave room for a Chicago-style dog. I'll let SJ make the recommendation for best, but I love those things even though I'm not a purist and leave off the phosphorescent green relish.

btw, if you get homesick, across from the Bean there's a place called Brown Bag Fish that serves a $34 New England lobster roll with truffled tater tots :D

Reaction Score
Love Chicago. Last time I went with the wife we had too much food and wine at Topo Gigio, stumbled over to 2nd City and laughed our faces off. Do that.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
Go up on top of the old "Sears Tower." (I don't know what they call it now).
A Great view of the city from there.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Go up on top of the old "Sears Tower." (I don't know what they call it now).
A Great view of the city from there.
Lol. That was the one thing I did when I was there for a few hours decades ago.

Reaction Score
Chicago Architecture Tour is a must. More of a summer thing but we have Indian summers out here so you should be good in October.

MIllennium Park and the Chicago Art Institute are right next to each other, they're great. Chicago Athletic Association hotel is right across the street. Have a drink and or a snack/lunch in the lobby on the second floor (it has a Shining Hotel feel.) I've vegged out in there for the whole day in the winter....Giant fireplaces, with old school bars, a gameroom and the most comfortable chairs and couches around (you can order right from the couches and chairs and get a pretty damn good Caesar salad with anchovies and a really good fried chicken sandwich. Actually tour the whole building if you can, the Cherry Circle Room and rooftop is supposed to be cool but usually a line for rooftop....

Walk over to the Palmer House Hotel and have a drink in the lobby, it's my favorite lobby anywhere. Miller's Pub is right down the street and a classic Chicago pub, one of my favorites.

The Green Mill is a classic, Al Capone's old hangout but that would be a hike if you're staying downtown. A couple of total dives downtown are Rossi's and Snickers, Larry Bird would hangout at Snickers when he was in town with the Pacers. Old Town Ale House in Old Town by Second City. It might be a little smelly and cash only but every comedian you can think of hung out there/still does and has their picture on the wall.

Walk around The Gold Coast and look at the Architecture. You could start at the Old Playboy Mansion and then just walk around all those streets, some amazing Architecture. They have one of those Restoration Hardware anchors over there and it's like a museum inside and out. Your wife would probably like having lunch in the 3 Arts Cafe atrium in there.

A lot of people like the Signature Room at the top of the Hancock for the 360 degree views of the city. I wouldn't wait in any line for it though, the view is great but then you'll be buying way overpiced drinks and food. Gibson's is a classic for steaks and people watching.

I love French restaurants, it's my favorite cuisine when having a nice meal and 4 of my favorites have all closed (Bistro Zinc, Cochon Volant, La Sardine, Kiki's Bistro.) Le Bouchon in my neighborhood Bucktown is still around and has always been really good...same owner as La Sardine, he sadly passed away a few years ago. The Bristol down the street is also really good (owner was carjacked and shot right outside the restaurant) but is fine now. Rich folks in my neighborhood got together because of all the carjackings and muggings and hired private security for the neighborhood which seems to be working. If you make it this way go the Map Room, it's one of my locals and has 26 beers you're unlikely to find on tap anywhere else and something like 200+ beers on hand at all times.

Some other favorite restaurants of mine are Tango Sur, Osteria Via Stato, The Publican. You can't really go wrong with Frontera Grill (moderate) and Topolobompo (expensive) Rick Bayless places are classics but there's more inventive higher end Mexican places now most of which I haven't been to. I can't really think of other higher end Mexican restaurants (I usually go to little grocery store kitchens for Mexican) but get Mexican. We probably do it better than anyone....

Stephanie Izzard's restaurants are all really popular and incredibly hard to get into. Some of these restaurants you really have to make reservations far ahead of time. My friend was a chef at Nico Osteria, owned by Paul Kahan. Same owner as The Publican it's known for it's crudo. Only went once when he worked there, it's really good but really expensive.

River North and the West Loop have so many restaurants and you really can't go wrong with any of them. A lot of cool bars and restaurants in Logan Square, it's our big young hipster area, used to be Wicker Park.

I always tell people our restaurants are comparable to Manhattan prices, same with downtown drinks at the fancier cocktail places (I avoid all that stuff like the plague) our hotels tend to be way cheaper.

If you haven't made a hotel reservation yet, I would do the Palmer House. It's enormous, packed with history and I just love being in the place. It's also insanely inexpensive for what you get. Scratch that, just looked it up and it's way more expensive than it used to be. All the hotels are trying to make their money back now and are short staffed.

I wouldn't bother with Italian beefs, deep dish, Chicago dogs, or breaded steak sandwiches. They're all good but you probably won't he near the places who do them the best. Unless you want to go to Portillo's. It's a chain but you'll get a good Chicago dog or a good Italian beef there, get the combo with the smoked sausage link and giardinera.

Haven't been to Second City in many years, not a huge fan of improv but that's a good suggestion. I used to hang out with a lot of those guys and Improv Olympic guys. Check on concert venues and comedy venues, there might be a musician or stand up you really like who is playing then, there's a lot of venues for both. Steppenwolf theater (John Mahoney, Traci Letts) has a great reputation for plays. We lost Blues on Halsted due to the Pandemic, it was the best but Kingston Mines and Buddy Guy's have legit performers every night.

Reaction Score
As everyone knows elite food city. Have had great meals there including
  • El Cid for mexican
  • Steak at Gibsons
  • Kuma's Corner for burgers

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Chicago Architecture Tour is a must. More of a summer thing but we have Indian summers out here so you should be good in October.

MIllennium Park and the Chicago Art Institute are right next to each other, they're great. Chicago Athletic Association hotel is right across the street. Have a drink and or a snack/lunch in the lobby on the second floor (it has a Shining Hotel feel.) I've vegged out in there for the whole day in the winter....Giant fireplaces, with old school bars, a gameroom and the most comfortable chairs and couches around (you can order right from the couches and chairs and get a pretty damn good Caesar salad with anchovies and a really good fried chicken sandwich. Actually tour the whole building if you can, the Cherry Circle Room and rooftop is supposed to be cool but usually a line for rooftop....

Walk over to the Palmer House Hotel and have a drink in the lobby, it's my favorite lobby anywhere. Miller's Pub is right down the street and a classic Chicago pub, one of my favorites.

The Green Mill is a classic, Al Capone's old hangout but that would be a hike if you're staying downtown. A couple of total dives downtown are Rossi's and Snickers, Larry Bird would hangout at Snickers when he was in town with the Pacers. Old Town Ale House in Old Town by Second City. It might be a little smelly and cash only but every comedian you can think of hung out there/still does and has their picture on the wall.

Walk around The Gold Coast and look at the Architecture. You could start at the Old Playboy Mansion and then just walk around all those streets, some amazing Architecture. They have one of those Restoration Hardware anchors over there and it's like a museum inside and out. Your wife would probably like having lunch in the 3 Arts Cafe atrium in there.

A lot of people like the Signature Room at the top of the Hancock for the 360 degree views of the city. I wouldn't wait in any line for it though, the view is great but then you'll be buying way overpiced drinks and food. Gibson's is a classic for steaks and people watching.

I love French restaurants, it's my favorite cuisine when having a nice meal and 4 of my favorites have all closed (Bistro Zinc, Cochon Volant, La Sardine, Kiki's Bistro.) Le Bouchon in my neighborhood Bucktown is still around and has always been really good...same owner as La Sardine, he sadly passed away a few years ago. The Bristol down the street is also really good (owner was carjacked and shot right outside the restaurant) but is fine now. Rich folks in my neighborhood got together because of all the carjackings and muggings and hired private security for the neighborhood which seems to be working. If you make it this way go the Map Room, it's one of my locals and has 26 beers you're unlikely to find on tap anywhere else and something like 200+ beers on hand at all times.

Some other favorite restaurants of mine are Tango Sur, Osteria Via Stato, The Publican. You can't really go wrong with Frontera Grill (moderate) and Topolobompo (expensive) Rick Bayless places are classics but there's more inventive higher end Mexican places now most of which I haven't been to. I can't really think of other higher end Mexican restaurants (I usually go to little grocery store kitchens for Mexican) but get Mexican. We probably do it better than anyone....

Stephanie Izzard's restaurants are all really popular and incredibly hard to get into. Some of these restaurants you really have to make reservations far ahead of time. My friend was a chef at Nico Osteria, owned by Paul Kahan. Same owner as The Publican it's known for it's crudo. Only went once when he worked there, it's really good but really expensive.

River North and the West Loop have so many restaurants and you really can't go wrong with any of them. A lot of cool bars and restaurants in Logan Square, it's our big young hipster area, used to be Wicker Park.

I always tell people our restaurants are comparable to Manhattan prices, same with downtown drinks at the fancier cocktail places (I avoid all that stuff like the plague) our hotels tend to be way cheaper.

If you haven't made a hotel reservation yet, I would do the Palmer House. It's enormous, packed with history and I just love being in the place. It's also insanely inexpensive for what you get. Scratch that, just looked it up and it's way more expensive than it used to be. All the hotels are trying to make their money back now and are short staffed.

I wouldn't bother with Italian beefs, deep dish, Chicago dogs, or breaded steak sandwiches. They're all good but you probably won't he near the places who do them the best. Unless you want to go to Portillo's. It's a chain but you'll get a good Chicago dog or a good Italian beef there, get the combo with the smoked sausage link and giardinera.

Haven't been to Second City in many years, not a huge fan of improv but that's a good suggestion. I used to hang out with a lot of those guys and Improv Olympic guys. Check on concert venues and comedy venues, there might be a musician or stand up you really like who is playing then, there's a lot of venues for both. Steppenwolf theater (John Mahoney, Traci Letts) has a great reputation for plays. We lost Blues on Halsted due to the Pandemic, it was the best but Kingston Mines and Buddy Guy's have legit performers every night.
Thanks. Very much appreciated.

Yeah I was a bit surprised by the prices at Palmer House and Raddison Blu. Both $450+ per night. I’ve been looking at AirBnBs because we‘ve had very good luck with them elsewhere (I read the reviews and stick to Superhosts) and they seem plentiful and very reasonably priced by comparison. We like living like locals. We don’t mind using public transportation or Ubers to get to places we should see and things we should eat. With that in mind, how are the following neighborhoods to stay in:

Wrigleyville
Pilsen Historic District
East Village
Lincoln Park
West Town

We have to at least try deep dish. Peqoud’s? I definitely want to know about the Italian beefs and breaded steak sandwiches too.

I’ve been known to travel for a good dog: I just chuckled watching the All-Star Game because they did a little feature on Pink’s, which I death-marched my family to on a hot, dry and windy day, thinking it would be a much shorter and nicer walk. It was like two miles on a crappy, busy street with bad or no sidewalks. They all cursed me, but everyone was happy once we were there.

Reaction Score
One of the best sandwich (well, maybe three) I ever had came from JP Graziano Grocery Market in the West Loop/Fulton Market neighborhood. Spent a few weeks on a due diligence project near there a few years ago and kept migrating back for another one.

Reaction Score
Thanks. Very much appreciated.

Yeah I was a bit surprised by the prices at Palmer House and Raddison Blu. Both $450+ per night. I’ve been looking at AirBnBs because we‘ve had very good luck with them elsewhere (I read the reviews and stick to Superhosts) and they seem plentiful and very reasonably priced by comparison. We like living like locals. We don’t mind using public transportation or Ubers to get to places we should see and things we should eat. With that in mind, how are the following neighborhoods to stay in:

Wrigleyville
Pilsen Historic District
East Village
Lincoln Park
West Town

We have to at least try deep dish. Peqoud’s? I definitely want to know about the Italian beefs and breaded steak sandwiches too.

I’ve been known to travel for a good dog: I just chuckled watching the All-Star Game because they did a little feature on Pink’s, which I death-marched my family to on a hot, dry and windy day, thinking it would be a much shorter and nicer walk. It was like two miles on a crappy, busy street with bad or no sidewalks. They all cursed me, but everyone was happy once we were there.
The hotel prices are insane now. I'm not even joking, before the pandemic you could stay at the Palmer House for around $100.

Those neighborhoods are all fine. Lincoln Park probably has the most going on. Wrigleyville has changed a lot with the ballpark renovations and some of the surroundings but still kind of a lot of bars with 20 somethings. West Town and East Village are more up and coming, they're right next to Ukranian Village and Wicker Park, a lot of restaurants on Division street in Wicker. I'm only about a mile away in Bucktown...

Pilsen is cool, it's always been a Mexican neighborhood that's gentifying more and more. That's probably around 7 miles away so I don't know it as well. I've eaten at a lot of good Mexican places there so could give you recommendations. There's the cool free National Mexican Museum of Art over there. Haven't been in several years and I know Bill Gates ex-wife gave them $8 million.

Pequod's is a bit different than the other popular deep dish places and it's my favorite but I think they're all pretty good. I don't even know for hot dogs anymore, I never eat them. They all pretty much use the same Vienna dog and run it through the garden. Italian Beef I'm not sure anymore either. Johnny's Beef is the best but it's going to be a bit of a hike for you. Mr. Beef was always solid. Ricobene's for a breaded steak sandwich.

If you're going the airbnb route let me know what streets you're looking at and I can tell you if that's a good location and what's around there. The hotel prices are a bummer, they're shocking.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom