Thread on Cuse board: BC going to B1G | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Thread on Cuse board: BC going to B1G

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
For what it's worth, Syracuse has the 81st ranked TV market while Hartford/NH as we know by now is 30th. Boston is 7th.
From what I recall about the RU rationalization, the B10 network gets $ from each cable subscriber in a state the B10 has a school in, as long as the cable provider carries the B10 network. So the game is to compile potential tv households, not actual tv viewers. And NY state has got em.

Reaction Score
From what I recall about the RU rationalization, the B10 network gets $ from each cable subscriber in a state the B10 has a school in, as long as the cable provider carries the B10 network. So the game is to compile potential tv households, not actual tv viewers. And NY state has got em.
This is why the consumer needs to be able to pick and choose. The BTN would be worthless to me if UConn wasn't in it.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
if the b10 took cuse and bc then the acc would look a lot better cept for the $ lol

Reaction Score
This is true to an extent. They do get money per subscriber, but if the product isn't worth it, such as, if they took Albany, the cable companies won't agree to the charge. So, the cable companies must agree that its worth the charge. Would Comcast Boston agree BC is worth X number of $$ for the BTN? Who knows.

Reaction Score
Has BC ever been in the AAU?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Only when people get it confused with the University down the street on Commonwealth Avenue. Then it's in the AAU. Maybe the Big10 is confused by this the same way the ACC was confused by it.

Reaction Score

But of course the truth is that states like PA (and let's say PSU is more popular in PA than RU is in NJ) the BTN is not on basic or the first tier of cable. The BTN hasn't struck gold in PA. yet.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
This is true to an extent. They do get money per subscriber, but if the product isn't worth it, such as, if they took Albany, the cable companies won't agree to the charge. So, the cable companies must agree that its worth the charge. Would Comcast Boston agree BC is worth X number of $$ for the BTN? Who knows.
My understanding is that its partnered with Fox(?) or another heavyweight and gets shoved down their throats. I know it's available to me on comcast xfinity, but I don't pay for the extra sports package so I can't watch it. But instead of getting a couple of bucks a month for the subscription, the B10 still gets like 50 cents just for being there. I may be talking out of my ass at this point, but it sounds incredible.

Reaction Score
My understanding is that its partnered with Fox(?) or another heavyweight and gets shoved down their throats. I know it's available to me on comcast xfinity, but I don't pay for the extra sports package so I can't watch it. But instead of getting a couple of bucks a month for the subscription, the B10 still gets like 50 cents just for being there. I may be talking out of my ass at this point, but it sounds incredible.
I get BTN on my cable in Boston as part of a premium sports package. We also get random western fox sports networks as well.

Reaction Score

Fox produces it and takes half the profits. That's the beauty. The Big10 doesn't even run it. They just sit back and allow the cash to roll in. They don't have to get involved in hiring broadcasting pros, no equipment or offices to purchase, none of that.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
I have BTN on my Uverse U300 package. I watched quite a bit of women's softball last spring.

Reaction Score
I get BTN in Boston and I don't have any premium packages. It's nice -- it means an extra FB game to pick from when I'm flipping the dial on Saturdays.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
I get HD BTN on fios in the Boston burbs, and it's not even the extra sports package. My extra sports package would include Yes, SNY etc.

Reaction Score
For what it's worth, Syracuse has the 81st ranked TV market while Hartford/NH as we know by now is 30th. Boston is 7th.

It's not that simple.
  1. Market penetration. 90% of the #50 market > 5% of the #10 market
  2. Demographics. What are the ratings for males 18-49? What are the ratings among high income folks?
  3. Potential. How much is the size of the market expected to grow, and how much could ratings grow within that market?
  4. Ratings in ancillary markets. Syracuse, for example, probably does well in Rochester, Buffalo, and Albany.
  5. National. Nobody cares that Notre Dame is from the tiny South Bend market. But it attracts fans and haters and casual observers from across the country.

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
I think there are two camps, the chicken littles that think BC is going to be with Holy Cross, Fordham, Stony Brook and the like and those that realize the ACC isn't dead because a bottom feeder that wasn't a big television draw left.

But in reality more are focused on the most important hiring process in a while that's starting in about 72 hours.

Bottom feeder? That's pretty funny. BC has hockey, MD lacrosse. But both are bottom feeders otherwise, especially in football. The only difference is some in Maryland care about terrapin sports, and hardly anyone in Boston knows when bc plays.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Bottom feeder? That's pretty funny. BC has hockey, MD lacrosse. But both are bottom feeders otherwise, especially in football. The only difference is some in Maryland care about terrapin sports, and hardly anyone in Boston knows when bc plays.

Take it easy, man. Claver seems decent enough.

RMoore1999

Reaction Score
Take it easy, man. Claver seems decent enough.

He certainly could be. I actually like very much most I know from bc. But a bc fan labeling Maryland a "bottom feeder" certainly is hilarious in my book.

Reaction Score
It's not that simple.
  1. Market penetration. 90% of the #50 market > 5% of the #10 market
  2. Demographics. What are the ratings for males 18-49? What are the ratings among high income folks?
  3. Potential. How much is the size of the market expected to grow, and how much could ratings grow within that market?
  4. Ratings in ancillary markets. Syracuse, for example, probably does well in Rochester, Buffalo, and Albany.
  5. National. Nobody cares that Notre Dame is from the tiny South Bend market. But it attracts fans and haters and casual observers from across the country.

Good points, but...

2 thru 5 don't matter. Conn. demographics are higher, upstate has been losing population, Cuse does not do well in Rochester and Buffalo (I get more UConn up here than Cuse, thanks to SNY, and the sports fans hardly ever mention Cuse at all--in fact, the big sports station here which is 85% Bills-Sabres talk will focus more on U. Buffalo football). Cuse, however, does have a much more significant following in Albany. I've lived in all 3 upstate cities (Albany, Rochester and Buffalo) and only Albany is a Cuse city.

Reaction Score
Bodes well in a sense, wouldn't a natural addition b UConn 2?

Doubt this happens, but who knows. NE is 15mm people, that is more than AL, Tenn, MS combined.

http://syracusefan.com/threads/i-am-hearing-bc-is-gone.36976/

No idea what is going on but with all the smoke it seems like the B1G is not done. apparently on ESPN OTL Katz said something about a discussion with a B1G AD who said they do not like 14 for the league. It was either 12 or 16.

Reaction Score
Good points, but...

2 thru 5 don't matter. Conn. demographics are higher, upstate has been losing population, Cuse does not do well in Rochester and Buffalo (I get more UConn up here than Cuse, thanks to SNY, and the sports fans hardly ever mention Cuse at all--in fact, the big sports station here which is 85% Bills-Sabres talk will focus more on U. Buffalo football). Cuse, however, does have a much more significant following in Albany. I've lived in all 3 upstate cities (Albany, Rochester and Buffalo) and only Albany is a Cuse city.

I was speaking generally, not of any specific teams.

#5 doesn't matter?
Much as UConn fans are in denial about this, UConn has no national name in football. Syracuse, much as it has sucked lately, does.

RMoore1999

Reaction Score
Even with our current buffoon of a head coach, you realize since joining the ACC (8 seasons, pretty decent sample size) we're averaging 7.5 wins per season right? Don't think that qualifies as a bottom feeder. Maryland is averaging 5.5

As for the people don't care about BC, you do realize we have a higher attendance per game than Maryland does in our worst season in decades (coming off what was our worst in a decade)? And both of us are several thousand ahead of UConn.

But never let facts get in the way of a good rant.

It was more of an observation of relative value than a rant, but whatever. But attendance? That's an interesting measure, to be sure.

If the ACC could retain either bc or MD, who would they select?

Reaction Score
I was speaking generally, not of any specific teams.

#5 doesn't matter?
Much as UConn fans are in denial about this, UConn has no national name in football. Syracuse, much as it has sucked lately, does.

Judging from the ACC reaction last year, this difference is absolutely minimal. The treatment of Syracuse football across the nation is similar to the treatment of UConn football, even if Cuse has a lot more history.

Reaction Score
It was more of an observation of relative value than a rant, but whatever. But attendance? That's an interesting measure, to be sure.

If the ACC could retain either bc or MD, who would they select?

They pad their attendance. UConn saw this up close in Maryland this year. Not nearly as much as claimed. Both schools have a U Miami sense of attendance, while UConn counts the gate. I haven't been to a BC game recently but plenty of Husky fans report that the numbers are not nearly what BC claims.

Reaction Score
Even with our current buffoon of a head coach, you realize since joining the ACC (8 seasons, pretty decent sample size) we're averaging 7.5 wins per season right? Don't think that qualifies as a bottom feeder. Maryland is averaging 5.5

As for the people don't care about BC, you do realize we have a higher attendance per game than Maryland does in our worst season in decades (coming off what was our worst in a decade)? And both of us are several thousand ahead of UConn.

But never let facts get in the way of a good rant.

Edit: thanks zls
Claver here's the last three years for you. Not including this season.

Uconn:
2009 38229
2010 38248
2011 36668

Bc:
2009: 35716
2010: 38369
2011: 35709

Maryland:
2009: 44452
2010 39168
2011: 42355