Thoughts on last nite USF game | The Boneyard

Thoughts on last nite USF game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Some points. We had 15 turnovers they had 7. We blocked 3 shots they blocked 5. In the second half we had fouls called on us that imo weren't fouls. They had 11 steals we had 2. We shot 54% they shot 44%. USF played a smaller lineup which gave them more scorers and they played more one on one against us.

Much like the Stanford game penetrating guards hurt us, getting our bigs in foul trouble( Kiah and Morgan) opening things up. We need back side help when opponents guards get by our guards. I do believe if our bigs get in foul trouble and our opponents have penetrating guards we could have closer games. I know we let up in the second half it was obvious to me however USF didn't and played hard. Im sure these are things Geno will be working on for the next 12 days.

With that said opponents still need to defend us.

Reaction Score
I must give USF credit, they played hard and quick. Williams is an excellent
player and she is quick. She got by defenders with her quickness. I think after
playing Uconn three times it will help them in the Tourney. I can see them
as a real sleeper in the NCAA Tourney and would not be surprised to see them
send some teams home early. Should this happen, maybe some of the other
non conference teams will see the value of scheduling a game against the
Huskies. I think that making a good showing in the Tourney will give the
conference and USF a shot in the arm.

HGN

Reaction Score
The Huskies played a good team in USF.........It's as simple as that. Things like that are going to happen from time to time. Its actually good for both UConn and USF to play games like that and sharpen up their skills a little going into the tournament. It appears that good penetrating guards could give us trouble but our guards are going to give them trouble too on the other end.

Over time the AAC is going to be getting better and better with more teams like USF. And hopefully the Huskies keep getting better to stay ahead of them.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I enjoyed the game. It was refreshing to see a well coached team with talented players not quit when they were so far down at half time.

That said, it was obvious that Jose knows UConn's weakness' on defense and he exploited it. Combine that with a night where Conn's 3pt game disappeared and it made for an interesting 2nd half.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
"The Huskies scored 50 of their points in the paint while outrebounding USF 47 to 20 for the game."

That was the trade off. That was the difference. USF played their scorers, but lacked the rebounders.

Reaction Score
I thought Stewie played her butt off in the first half and was doubled and triple teamed constantly, which opened things up for others. In the second half, especially the last 1/4 of the game she looked pretty tired (understandably so), and roamed outside a lot, which I think lent to the offense slowing down. As far as the defense, USF has some scorers for sure, but still, surprising to let them get 70. Regardless, I'm pretty sure however many the other team scores UConn is going to score more.

Reaction Score
I enjoyed the game. It was refreshing to see a well coached team with talented players not quit when they were so far down at half time.

That said, it was obvious that Jose knows UConn's weakness' on defense and he exploited it. Combine that with a night where Conn's 3pt game disappeared and it made for an interesting 2nd half.
Well coached team - without a doubt; talented player - other than one, not really. If Jose had a few more talented player, this would be totally different thread.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Well coached team - without a doubt; talented player - other than one, not really. If Jose had a few more talented player, this would be totally different thread.

Jenkins certainly qualifies as a talented player. And their other two guards who went off aren't scrubs either.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Found these Geno thoughts on Gabby Williams interesting:

But then, in a 57-second span, she grabbed a pair of offensive rebounds and scored in the lane. She added an assist on a Moriah Jefferson 3-pointer, another offensive rebound resulted in a Breanna Stewart basket and another basket by Williams pushed the lead to 27 points, the largest of the game.

“There would have been a different feel to the game if Gabby hadn’t done that,” Auriemma said. “Then in the second half, she did a really good job defensively. Going forward, there are going to be players that we play against, I think, that for stretches, Gabby might be the only person on the team that can guard them. It was big for her to contribute, feel confident and feel like she did some good things. ... I think what she did was really, really important; important for her and important for us.”

http://www.nhregister.com/sports/20150310/uconn-freshman-gabby-williams-shows-she-belongs

Reaction Score
USF played their two best games against UConn and still lost by 37. If we were to meet in the Final, Geno will have the Huskies ready. He's the master strategist. Yes, I agree with Geno that Gabby will play a major part in the tournament. She's a rebounding put-back machine, and played tough D.

Reaction Score
One stat Chris Dailey brought up in the radio post game is that it took Courtney Williams 22 shots to get her 16 points. As usual Uconn defense made the other team's best player work really really hard to get her points. Good audition for Gabby for possible future defensive assignments on top offensive players.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
One stat Chris Dailey brought up in the radio post game is that it took Courtney Williams 22 shots to get her 16 points. As usual Uconn defense made the other team's best player work really really hard to get her points. Good audition for Gabby for possible future defensive assignments on top offensive players.
Courtney is really good. The key to defending her, as with anyone, is to make her shoot shots other than the ones she really wants. Give her a three or an off-balance runner. Do NOT give her a 4-15' pull-up jumper with her shoulders square. She's almost automatic on those.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
I think Alisia Jenkins was fabulous also. She blocked shots and created many steals and lose balls. If Jose had a Morgan or Kiah Stokes, they would be extremely dangerous!!!! I agree!

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
Courtney is really good. The key to defending her, as with anyone, is to make her shoot shots other than the ones she really wants. Give her a three or an off-balance runner. Do NOT give her a 4-15' pull-up jumper with her shoulders square. She's almost automatic on those.
She is absolute dynamite!!!! Can u imagine having Messiah as your 1 guard & Courtney as the 2 guard- Wow!!!!!

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
Jenkins certainly qualifies as a talented player. And their other two guards who went off aren't scrubs either.
Jenkins did yeomans work against overwhelming odds in the paint- she is extremely talented!

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
Found these Geno thoughts on Gabby Williams interesting:

But then, in a 57-second span, she grabbed a pair of offensive rebounds and scored in the lane. She added an assist on a Moriah Jefferson 3-pointer, another offensive rebound resulted in a Breanna Stewart basket and another basket by Williams pushed the lead to 27 points, the largest of the game.

“There would have been a different feel to the game if Gabby hadn’t done that,” Auriemma said. “Then in the second half, she did a really good job defensively. Going forward, there are going to be players that we play against, I think, that for stretches, Gabby might be the only person on the team that can guard them. It was big for her to contribute, feel confident and feel like she did some good things. ... I think what she did was really, really important; important for her and important for us.”

http://www.nhregister.com/sports/20150310/uconn-freshman-gabby-williams-shows-she-belongs
I hadn't seen this quote- I will tell you- this game, and Gabby's unbelievable quality minutes- again, may have taken a lot of Stokes minutes away, and Chong's. He may pull KML out as the 2 Gd, with Tuck and Stewie. We were down low across from USF bench. And her snaring of a few of those rebounds were highlight films. She made it happen on both ends. Even watching the TV replay today, didn't capture her explosiveness at both ends. She is pur unbridled dynamite!!!

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
She may be better than Renee M was- and that's pretty good!

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Having gone to the game and then watched the replay, I would emphasize the fact that the UConn offense was working very well for the entire game. They scored 84 points, shot 54%, and dominated in the paint (as they should against a small team such as USF). Even in the second half (when there were several bad post entry passes that resulted in turnovers and KML missed a few open 3-point attempts), UConn scored 38 points, which is certainly a successful half offensively.

As in the Stanford game, the problem was exclusively with defense, and in this case, the defensive problem existed only in the second half. To allow 47 points to any team (let alone USF) in one half is a major defensive breakdown -- which is proven by the fact that USF got only 23 points in the first half.

There can be no doubt that fatigue (the 6th half in 3 days) was a significant factor in the defensive deficiency in the second half -- probably it was the major factor. I also think that the adrenaline factor, which probably would have overcome the fatigue if the game had actually been close, was not really in play since the lead never dropped below 14 points. It is noteworthy that the lead was 19 with two minutes left, and by then the game was clearly decided.

Fortunately, in the NCAA tournament, UConn will not be required to play 3 games in 3 days, and most likely the adrenaline factor will be in play to a much greater degree than it was in Monday night's game. So I don't think this will be a recurring problem.

Another comment about Kia Nurse's recent productivity: In an article in the Courant this morning, she basically admitted to John A that she has been tired recently as a result of a full year of basketball without a break. Playing three times in three days would certainly make that apparent. Even so, I don't think her play has hurt the team -- she hasn't made a lot of mistakes or turnovers, and her defense seems to be as good as ever. Until Monday night, her assist totals were good, and I believe her excellent A/TO ratio has been maintained. I think that as she recharges her batteries in the next 10 days, she will be fine.

Her problem will come next October 15, when Ms. Williams and Ms. Samuelson will have an eye on her starting job.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Her problem will come next October 15, when Ms. Williams and Ms. Samuelson will have an eye on her starting job.

I think the chances Samuelson starts next year are slim and none. Geno all but let the cat out of the bag when he mentioned her defensive issues to the ESPN crew the other day.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Sluconn Husky said:
I think the chances Samuelson starts next year are slim and none. Geno all but let the cat out of the bag when he mentioned her defensive issues to the ESPN crew the other day.

I missed that! What did he say?

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
j66kicker said:
He said she shoots like KML, and also plays defense like KML.

Ahhhhh. Thanks. Didn't catch that

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
" . . . the problem was exclusively with defense, and in this case, the defensive problem existed only in the second half. To allow 47 points to any team (let alone USF) in one half is a major defensive breakdown -- which is proven by the fact that USF got only 23 points in the first half."

I agree, and just like the Stanford game the biggest defensive liability was Mosqueda-Lewis. I watched the 2nd half yesterday and she got beat on defense several times. I think USF scored 9-14 2nd half points by going at KML. I think Piccozzi repeated "she went right past Mosqueda Lewis . . ." at least 3 times.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
The issue with KML was about the match up. That same match up was exploited by KML at the other. The issue as I saw it was more about the help defense not getting the job done because just looking at paper it was clear that it was not a good match for Kaleena.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
The problem with UConns guards is opponents with good guards blow by us. We also blow by their guards. The biggest difference is we have the bigs who can blow shots when our guards get beat. IMO there are very few guards that cant beat their opponent one on one. For UConn their bigs do a terrific job of weak side help. UConns weakness will be when our bigs get in foul trouble. We need one big underneath and another up front. That's when our defense is the best. High low on offense and defense is UConns strength. When Morgan and Kiah were in foul trouble USF was able to get inside the 3 pt line and hit a lot of shots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom