Thoughts on Kwintin Williams | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Thoughts on Kwintin Williams

C

Chief00

He’s a guy who actually likes the weight room. No one more than Chief railed against all his First Night like dunking utube videos. But, there are aspects of his game and effort that set him above others on the team in Chief’s opinion. I actually saw him do a Paul Silas and come in from underneath the basket and try to create space on the offensive boards. Quite frankly, he is the only guy on this team that’s done that.

I was impressed with his foul shooting results and form, which show he’s coachable.
Granted, to Fishy’s point, on another UConn team these things wouldn’t stand out. But, we are where we are.

Back in the day - Chief could focus on one or two nuances of the game - if we cleaned up - we would be Final 4 bound. Now the opportunity for improvement is much more macro. So I try to go one step at a time. Williams lesson last game was clean up foul shot rebounding.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
They’d have to evacuate the first four rows of seats around the court if we tried that.

The kid plays hard, but he has no idea what he’s doing. He’s a raw version of Whaley who is a raw version of Diarra who is a raw version of a basketball player.
Wasn't there a time when your signature was "40 minutes of WTF"? 2012-13?
Just put students in those first four rows.

Reaction Score
I like him. I’d like to see Kwintin, Whaley, and Diarra in together more. 3 energy guys with 2 guards and that’s a great lineup. He obviously needs some work with fundamentals but there is stuff to work with.
That lineup would possibly be capable of about 2 points, don't worry I'm sure Ollie will trot it out.

Reaction Score
Unsure why KO would call him out. It's not like the rest of the team is infallible. Everyone admires his boundless energy, sets excellent picks, back in play immediately, and he seems to play under control (sans the dumb foul against Tulsa out of frustration). If we are now playing kids based on fewest mistakes/40 minutes, then KW deserves more burn.

Reaction Score
I saw Kwintin make a play down low on the right side of the post where he either rebounded or received a pass, and the second he received the ball he just spun to the hoop so fast, so quick, so immediate, that I was like "whoa", and I think he was fouled on the play. Showed really good footwork and aggressiveness combined with quickness. It was a strong, tight move.

Reaction Score
Someone should teach him how to block shots. With his ability to elevate, we could have a rim protector.

He will not be a good shot blocker on the interior. He will have to leave hos feet too much--too many fouls.

I could see him getting some good blocks on closeouts occasionally with his speed though

Edit: play that stuck out to me was when he got the ball maybe a foot inside the foul line. He took off Tyler Phommachanh tomahawk slam the ball and ended up getting fpuled intentionally. So another teams game plan is to foul kwintin if he takes off anywhere within 8 feet of the hoop... talk about hops

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Remember when our biggest problem was Thabeet always dribbling after an offensive rebound?
I remember when folks would tremble when Wes B received his 3rd foul

Reaction Score
Sets a good screen. But looks spastic on the floor. Also, for a leaper, haven't seen his feet leave the floor for a board - poor positioning.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
He's already gotten better since day 1, seems to me someone IS coaching him. Imagine that?
He's averaging 2 points and 2 rebounds. He had three points and 3 rebounds last game. Guess that's impressive for Ollie now?

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Sets a good screen. But looks spastic on the floor. Also, for a leaper, haven't seen his feet leave the floor for a board - poor positioning.

He's averaging a board every 2.5 minutes. His positioning is better than anyone on this team.

Reaction Score
He's averaging 2 points and 2 rebounds. He had three points and 3 rebounds last game. Guess that's impressive for Ollie now?

Watch the game Hfl, if you know anything you see what I am saying. If you don't then you'll answer like this. Like I said baby steps but maybe there's things you don't understand I am sorry for that.

Reaction Score
He’ll be here for a couple years. I say let all the bigs split time. We may not be great down the stretch but we will be pretty decent come AAC tournament time with reps.

Reaction Score
Because he's the coach and he thinks that pointing out mistakes will help him be a better player?

I think he knows his players... calling KW out will make him a better player. You can tell he’s hungry and wants minutes just like the rest of them. Some people thrive on the constructive criticism... Some don’t. Take Cobb for example.

Reaction Score
Because he's the coach and he thinks that pointing out mistakes will help him be a better player?
Thanks for quoting me, but please do it in full context next time. If KO's Psychology degree and advanced analytics know that singularly calling out KW for mistakes will motivate him, why does he wait until the 15th game of an unaccomplished season to do so? That being the case, KO obviously does not feel his job is on the line. There were plenty of opportunities to play KW and make him a "better" player earlier in the season. Also, perhaps KO should start issuing motivating tactics on the players who frequent the floor, perhaps that will produce a better team.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom