Thoughts on Hurley | The Boneyard

Thoughts on Hurley

Reaction Score
I know we have a million threads on this, but wanted to offer some positive spin. I blame at least 50% of the loss yesterday on Hurley deciding he wanted to be a mail instead of a hammer. When you have the more talented team, you are ALWAYS the hammer, he needs to not forget that.

Here’s my take on it. He already knows he screwed up even if he hasn’t admitted it publicly. He also has too many good mentors to not learn from this (his father, JC, Geno among others). Just like players need to learn from their mistakes coaches do too. Luckily this mistake was learned during the regular season. Don’t let it happen come post season time! The team will learn and move forward. Also, make your damn free throws and your coach doesn’t look so bad.

Reaction Score
As bad as his in game reactions were, I’m more worried about what has happened since. First, the Sanogo admission that has been dissected ad nauseum. And now today calling out Gaffney and Polley and basically saying don’t blame me for the poor free throw shooting. He needs to man up and put it on himself, whether he believes it or not. This is how you lose a team.

Reaction Score
I blame 100% loss on the players. LOL. They play the game. Hurley was fine. I would have tried Sanogo against their small lineup, but he isn't Shaq out there. Would have liked to have seen Hurley try. But if he has Sanogo out there, Whaley has to sit. We want to do that?

UConn is just offensively challenged. Without Bouknight, there is no breakdown scorer. Because of that, they have to execute to score. They ran some really nice offense on Monday and got good shots and didn't convert.

It's amazing how good a coach you look when you have a player who can create his own offense and how bad a coach you look like when you have players that can't. That's basketball at this level. Brutal loss though.

Reaction Score
100% agree. The key is learning and improving. He has more than enough pluses to be successful. To be great, though, requires excelling in all facets. He needs work with in-game management.

Reaction Score
I blame 100% loss on the players. LOL. They play the game. Hurley was fine. I would have tried Sanogo against their small lineup, but he isn't Shaq out there. Would have liked to have seen Hurley try. But if he has Sanogo out there, Whaley has to sit. We want to do that?

UConn is just offensively challenged. Without Bouknight, there is no breakdown scorer. Because of that, they have to execute to score. They ran some really nice offense on Monday and got good shots and didn't convert.

It's amazing how good a coach you look when you have a player who can create his own offense and how bad a coach you look like when you have players that can't. That's basketball at this level. Brutal loss though.
Your post contradicts itself. The offense wasn't offensively challenged. It was Sanogo in the second half, it was running though him and he was getting whatever he wanted. You don't ever take the best player off the floor and sit him for the remaining 13 minutes. That Hurley did it with an 8 point lead because he was scared of St. John's makes it all the more indefensible.

Reaction Score
Your post contradicts itself. The offense wasn't offensively challenged. It was Sanogo in the second half, it was running though him and he was getting whatever he wanted. You don't ever take the best player off the floor and sit him for the remaining 13 minutes. That Hurley did it with an 8 point lead because he was scared of St. John's makes it all the more indefensible.

Sanogo had a couple of good shots. He also missed two easy baskets. Hardly a sure thing. I would have brought Sanogo back to see if St. John's reacted. But Hurley was going to rely on Whaley at the 5 as he has all year down the stretch. Post doesn't contradict itself. You are critiquing based on the result, not the decision-making. Too much arm-chair coaching here and way too much made of that sub. The bigger issue was the inability to contain or help off the dribble.

St. John's quickness annihilated the backcourt on offense and defense. Also, I like Cole off ball.

Reaction Score
Hopefully, Hurley and staff learn from this. We have to remember that Hurley is still pretty young in his coaching career. Sanogo should have been put back in, but hopefully yesterday was a blip and not the start of a pattern for UConn's coach.

Reaction Score
Sanogo had a couple of good shots. He also missed two easy baskets. Hardly a sure thing. I would have brought Sanogo back to see if St. John's reacted. But Hurley was going to rely on Whaley at the 5 as he has all year down the stretch. Post doesn't contradict itself. You are critiquing based on the result, not the decision-making. Too much arm-chair coaching here and way too much made of that sub. The bigger issue was the inability to contain or help off the dribble.

St. John's quickness annihilated the backcourt on offense and defense. Also, I like Cole off ball.
You said they are offensively challenged and then say they ran some really nice stuff on Monday. The nice stuff they ran was when Sanogo was in the game, it was being run through him because he was the best player on the court and St. John's couldn't stop him with double teams. He was on his way to an easy 20 point night.

It's not based on the result, myself and the majority of the chat was going crazy when Hurley took him out and going crazy for the next 12 minutes when he didn't put him back in the game. Just a brutal performance by Hurley, Anderson punked him.

Reaction Score
You said they are offensively challenged and then say they ran some really nice stuff on Monday. The nice stuff they ran was when Sanogo was in the game, it was being run through him because he was the best player on the court and St. John's couldn't stop him with double teams. He was on his way to an easy 20 point night.

It's not based on the result, myself and the majority of the chat was going crazy when Hurley took him out and going crazy for the next 12 minutes when he didn't put him back in the game. Just a brutal performance by Hurley, Anderson punked him.
I would have gone with the big lineup and play some zone to cover up our defensive deficiencies but Hurly is a stubborn Capricorn and he never changed.

Reaction Score

Sure. I thought St. John's was just relentless. And
I would have gone with the big lineup and play some zone to cover up our defensive deficiencies but Hurly is a stubborn Capricorn and he never changed.
I would have too. I think he was spooked by St. john's hitting 6 second-half 3s. that's what I saw from the transcript anyway. Guys gotta play better though. If they needed Sanogo to win that game for them, that's a problem. I am more concerned with the defense TBH. Wasn't good.

Reaction Score
Have to agree. Keep feeding the hot hand on O. Danny would have continued to get Sanogo the ball when he was playing.

Reaction Score
While he's recruited great, I can't fathom how they were comfortable going into season with Cole and Gaffney at PG and basically one guy on roster that can create a shot!!!!

We're on the right track but some cracks in the armor. Sanogo thing, just wow. I believe in him and hope he gets it rectified. He's never been at this level so he gets the benefit of the doubt at this point. So happy we are on the right track. Disappointed at our PG situation and inability to create on roster esp since he loves guards so much.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
While he's recruited great, I can't fathom how they were comfortable going into season with Cole and Gaffney at PG and basically one guy on roster that can create a shot!!!!

We're on the right track but some cracks in the armor. Sanogo thing, just wow. I believe in him and hope he gets it rectified. He's never been at this level so he gets the benefit of the doubt at this point. So happy we are on the right track. Disappointed at our PG situation and inability to create on roster esp since he loves guards so much.

I think if Jackson didn't get hurt, he would be contributing more by this point of the season, and Hurley expected Gaffney to be contributing more. Getting close to zero from the two of them combined in addition to Bouknight's injury is a huge loss.

Reaction Score
I think if Jackson didn't get hurt, he would be contributing more by this point of the season, and Hurley expected Gaffney to be contributing more. Getting close to zero from the two of them combined in addition to Bouknight's injury is a huge loss.
This is a good point. Even if Jackson's shooting is quite poor.. his passing vision, handle, athleticism and defense prob are something being missed as well. He would've had a lot of Polley's minutes in the second half.

Reaction Score

It does contradict itself. You said they are offensively challenged which I agree especially without Bouk. But the one way they most definitely weren't offensively challenged was throwing it in to Sanogo against that smaller St Johns team and it was more than evident. He did moss a couple but he also made 6, which was much more than Adams, polley and Gaffney were going to make so another 8-10 minutes of him would've given them fits. I have no issue with not blaming coach for all but 100% players is beyond ridiculous in this one.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Sure. I thought St. John's was just relentless. And

I would have too. I think he was spooked by St. john's hitting 6 second-half 3s. that's what I saw from the transcript anyway. Guys gotta play better though. If they needed Sanogo to win that game for them, that's a problem. I am more concerned with the defense TBH. Wasn't good.

Put the players in a position to win. That's what the coach does. If the Giants line up all cornerbacks on the DL and can't stop the run, is that on the players?

St. Johns isn't good. That should have been a double digit win if we put the players in a position to win. That means not having Polley guard guys who torched him over and over again. It means not asking the perimeter players to play tight D to cut down 3's and then give them no rim protection in the paint. Instead, that leads to easy layups. Whaley was our 5, but he was pulled outside, leaving a giant flashing OPEN sign on the rim.

It's pretty simple. Hurley acted like St. Johns was the GS Warriors of a few years back because they hit a few lucky 3s. They aren't actually that good. He responded by welcoming them to make layups at will. At the same time, he took away his one advantage on offense, size and inside presence. He managed to make the defense and offense worse at the same time. If you can't guard 5 out in Man, the answer is simple: don't play Man. The answer is never to give up uncontested layups. If you want to play tight on outside shooters, you must keep a rim protector near the basket. The Celtics knew this. Calhoun knew this. Hurley should damned well know this. Sanogo and Josh aren't Bill Russell or Emeka Okafor. But against that glorified HS team? If I recall, Sanogo had just had three straight blocks or steals on the defensive end when he came out. And Hurley took him out for defense?

He's a very good coach. He knows more basketball than I ever will. He also has a stubborn streak that can lead to mistakes. I hope he learns from it. Let people shoot 3s. Don't ever let them get easy layups at will.

Reaction Score
Agreed. Does anyone know when his 6 week timetable is up? I know he has an important appointment this week, if it hasn't happened already, so hopefully we start to see him for a few minutes vs Creighton.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Agreed. Does anyone know when his 6 week timetable is up? I know he has an important appointment this week, if it hasn't happened already, so hopefully we start to see him for a few minutes vs Creighton.

Hurley talks to the Horde the day before games, so I'll bet we get an update on Friday.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
They went small so we took out the guy who would have blocked those little dudes at the rim.

Reaction Score
They went small so we took out the guy who would have blocked those little dudes at the rim.
One thing not talked about much either is that Sanogo was guarding Champagnie for at least a few possessions before he went out. On one possession where Champagnie tried taking him one-on-one Adama stayed in front of him and then blocked the shot. I believe Sanogo has quicker feet on defense and can move laterally quicker than Polley can, so Hurley's excuse here doesn't hold up.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
I still think he's the right guy for the job while I disagreed with his usage of Adama last game.

My hope is that he was completely open with AS (and others) while recruiting him and set expectations appropriately. Was reading an article the other day on transfers and in most cases, players who become disgruntled and transfer felt as though they were told one thing and then had a different experience once they got going. There are three sides to every story, the coach, the player and the truth somewhere in the middle but I just hope DH has been open with Adama on why he's doing what he's doing because this last game was a bit of a head scratcher.

Reaction Score
I still think he's the right guy for the job while I disagreed with his usage of Adama last game.

My hope is that he was completely open with AS (and others) while recruiting him and set expectations appropriately. Was reading an article the other day on transfers and in most cases, players who become disgruntled and transfer felt as though they were told one thing and then had a different experience once they got going. There are three sides to every story, the coach, the player and the truth somewhere in the middle but I just hope DH has been open with Adama on why he's doing what he's doing because this last game was a bit of a head scratcher.
I think he has been open with Adama judging from the comments after the last game. Can (and many here do) disagree with the reasoning but Hurley and Adama were publicly on the same page that he wasn't in because St John's was playing 5 out

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom