Thoughts/Commentary (long and mostly non-legal) on Geno Auriemma | The Boneyard

Thoughts/Commentary (long and mostly non-legal) on Geno Auriemma

Status
Not open for further replies.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
As an aside, my post in the main "Geno being sued" thread (about the waiters and the better restaurants) was designed to bring a little humor to a very serious situation (for those of you who remembe the buildup to the 2003 game between Duke and UConn).

If all of the allegations against Geno Auriemma are true, then his conduct is deplorable and he needs to be held accountable.

If the allegations against Geno Auriemma are not true or have no basis in fact, then the claimant's actions are deplorable in bringing the lawsuit (and she and her lawyers needs to be held accountable under the state law equivalent of Rule 11, Federal Rules of Civil Procedure).

If Geno Auriemma is dismissed as an individual Defendant on a jurisdictional basis or for the inability to state a claim, or even if the entire case is dismissed on a summary judgment motion at the end of discovery, then the damage has still been done. His critics/detractors will still claim that he "got out on a technicality" or that he "used his lawyers to get him out of it," even though there was no finding of liability and the claims against him were dismissed.

If the case is settled to avoid having a very public distraction for Geno Auriemma, UConn (by virtue of Geno's involvement in the litigation), USA Basketball, the Olympics, etc., then Geno's critics/detractors will still claim that Geno "bought her off" even though Geno likely will not be paying for any settlement and the fact that the overwhelming of majority of cases settle due to the expense (not just money, but time, resources, etc., not to mention things like litigation holds and preservation of electronic discovery) of litigation (and generally, in settlements, the defendants still deny any liability and have made no admissions of liability).

I started posting on basketball message boards in 2002. I posted on Duke boards, but also the Boneyard (then on the Rivals site), the Summitt, Hornsfans (Texas), Stanford's board (when it was free), etc. Initially, I loathed UConn, Diana Taurasi, Geno, and UConn's fans. When Phoenix drafted Taurasi (and I had several meetings with Seth Sulka, then-Mercury GM, where we watched tape of Taurasi and Alana Beard), things started to change. I grew to not just like her, but to be amazed by her and what she could do on the court (most notably, her court vision and her ability to think/see a play develop three passes before it happens). And when UConn took a step back (relatively speaking) in 2005 and 2006 while Duke reloaded (and went to the championship game, something Beard did not do), many Boneyard posters began to respect Gail Goestenkors as a coach and, by extenion, me as a poster (though a lot of that had already started to change when I began posting my game observations/analysis about Taurasi in Phoenix).

In 2005 or 2006, I was hanging out with Seth Sulka and Bill Laimbeer before a Mercury-Shock game. Seth was telling us stories about hanging out with Geno at Mohegan Sun. Seth explained Geno's sense of humor, but also reiterated how there is never any malice behind it. His point was that Geno ripped on everyone, including (and in some cases, especially), himself.

Around the same time (it was actually during the 2006-2007 college season), Rob Clough (who writes for DWHoops and who is a very well-respected journalist) made the comment that the players on Duke really liked Gail Goestenkors but that Geno's players truly loved him. People who play for him truly believe he is their surrogate father/older sibling/harshest critic/best friend all in one.

Over the years, I have grown to not just respect Geno for his accomplishments, but to admire him for the way he achieved them. He has taken teenagers and turned them into successful adults, both on the court and off. And I have a much better appreciation for his sense of humor now than I did eight years ago. In many ways, I have realized how very similar my sense of humor is to his!

As I said earlier, if all of the allegations against Geno Auriemma are true, then his conduct is deplorable and he needs to be held accountable. But if they are not true or if there is no finding of liability, then I truly feel sorry for Geno. His critics/detractors will always "proclaim his guilt" (to take a criminal law term out of context), irrespective of the lack of finding of liability.

Having lived through the Duke lacrosse scandal and saw how Mike Nifong (the disgraced former District Attorney), fans on message boards, certain members of the media (Nancy Grace, I am looking at you), several professors at Duke, etc. rushed to judgment and convicted and condemned the entire Duke lacrosse team for allegations that were not just false but that were part of a cover-up by the District Attorney in spite of the player's innocence (the state Attorney General declared the players "innocent"), I have a tremendous amount of sympathy for Geno Auriemma should the allegations prove to be not true or if there is no finding of liability. In some ways, the damage has already been done.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Cam, as I add my thanks, let me express my admiration and appreciation for your contributions (to the Geno Sued thread and to women's basketball).

I trust that you took my snarky comment ("a little promise in the field of jurispudence") in the friendly and humorous context in which it was posted.

Bear in mind, of course, that all this mushy stuff ends at the next tipoff when Duke plays UConn.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Thanks, Cam. An admirable and well written read. I agree with Kib, though...game time, all bets are off
(Laughed out loud when I read your reference to a Duke waiter in the other thread - I remember that sequence with Geno and the Duke students very well)

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Great post Cam. Glad you take time to chat on our board!

Reaction Score
Right now I have a very sick feeling in my stomach. As Cam stated the damage may have already been done. I guess my questions are, how can UCONN recover from this terrible situation? Also, will any top recruit, or any recruit for that matter want to come to UCONN now? I hope and prey that Geno is found completely innocent of these charges, but as I read more and more about this incident, alot of questions still need to be answered.

Reaction Score
In 2005 or 2006, I was hanging out with Seth Sulka and Bill Laimbeer before a Mercury-Shock game. Seth was telling us stories about hanging out with Geno at Mohegan Sun. Seth explained Geno's sense of humor, but also reiterated how there is never any malice behind it. His point was that Geno ripped on everyone, including (and in some cases, especially), himself.

Many people, and (especially) many females:) might not (fully) get (all of) that. Maybe it's worth some expansion.

Geno grew up in Phili, and picked up a similar (interpersonal) behavior that New Yorkers have. It's probably due (in some part) from the close-knit neighborhoods & the cultural (immigrant) cosmopolitan populations that all live together in such places. Outsiders often see New Yorkers as a bit forward & rude... but they're only behaving naturally from their own experience.

We call it "knocking" today, but some use the term "put down" (which is not fully accurate). It's been (waaay) too long since my social psychology classes, but I think it's called "railing"... an interactive type of behavior that males engage in.

Friends I've worked with over the years (some not all ;)), would quite often greet each other saying something like "hey balloon knot... what's up"... or maybe: "hey fatso... what's up?" to someone who'd been putting on some pounds over the preceding months. Guys don't take such comments personally at all. It's actually an endearing form of communication.

But if you grew up in a rural area (like say the midwest), or you're a female, such bantering could be seen as rude, obnoxious, or disrespectful. Imagine a woman greeting her friend with "Hey Jane, you're really getting fat... heh heh heh!" A woman would be mortified. And she'd never forget it. But to a guy, it means nothing.

Geno once talked about a similar (male-female) interpersonal difference (dichotomy) he'd discovered after coaching for a while. If he really yelled & put down a player in practice, it was important to say something positive to her before she left the gym, otherwise she would (really) think he didn't like her (days later).

Now... any guy growing up has had their dad or coach give them holy hell for doing something (stupid or lazy or whatever)... maybe while helping their dad fix a car or plumbing project... or maybe while loafing or fooling around during athletic drills. The guy getting yelled at (put down) ... has forgotten that 2 minutes later... bam, it's gone. It means nothing. Maybe it's because they're able to understand there's no maliciousness (hate) involved... it's (simply) all talk. Maybe it's partly because the male ego is (naturally) stronger or reacts differently (to verbal cues). But guys intuitively know it's for motivation & utilitarian action. They know their dad or coach... doesn't really hate 'em.

You add in Geno's (Phili) upbringing with his Italian (very verbal) interpersonal nature, and it's a large part of why he's so successful. Communication skills are vitally important for both recruiting & coaching (& the media). The fact some people don't get it, or don't know him well enough to differentiate serious talk from (that) good-natured banter is... their problem. :p :)

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Bear in mind, of course, that all this mushy stuff ends at the next tipoff when Duke plays UConn.
Well actually about a week before the game. :rolleyes:

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Jack of all Trades, without having your entire post reprinted, permit me to add that I am among many guys raised in a very urban environment, then had my interpersonal communications skills honed during a career in the Army. I have always thought of the exchanges you write about so knowledgeably as "traditional scatalogical pleasantries."

I hope that works for you.

Reaction Score
I am among many guys raised in a very urban environment, then had my interpersonal communications skills honed during a career in the Army. I have always thought of the exchanges you write about so knowledgeably as "traditional scatalogical pleasantries." I hope that works for you.

:)
I've recently been listening to some (missed) old Jean Shepard broadcasts, including many of his old Army stories. It's interesting, Shep was from the mid-west but moved to NYC where he did live gigs at the Limelight, his WOR radio broadcasts, & wrote his stories (his books are among the best of that era). He fit into that NYC environment like a fish to water. ;)

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, every person in the public eye, particularly those involved with chidren, as are coaches, are 5 minutes away from personal disaster regardless of the facts. This is a factor that does not bode well for our society.

Reaction Score
As an aside, my post in the main "Geno being sued" thread (about the waiters and the better restaurants) was designed to bring a little humor to a very serious situation (for those of you who remembe the buildup to the 2003 game between Duke and UConn).

If all of the allegations against Geno Auriemma are true, then his conduct is deplorable and he needs to be held accountable.

If the allegations against Geno Auriemma are not true or have no basis in fact, then the claimant's actions are deplorable in bringing the lawsuit (and she and her lawyers needs to be held accountable under the state law equivalent of Rule 11, Federal Rules of Civil Procedure).

If Geno Auriemma is dismissed as an individual Defendant on a jurisdictional basis or for the inability to state a claim, or even if the entire case is dismissed on a summary judgment motion at the end of discovery, then the damage has still been done. His critics/detractors will still claim that he "got out on a technicality" or that he "used his lawyers to get him out of it," even though there was no finding of liability and the claims against him were dismissed.

If the case is settled to avoid having a very public distraction for Geno Auriemma, UConn (by virtue of Geno's involvement in the litigation), USA Basketball, the Olympics, etc., then Geno's critics/detractors will still claim that Geno "bought her off" even though Geno likely will not be paying for any settlement and the fact that the overwhelming of majority of cases settle due to the expense (not just money, but time, resources, etc., not to mention things like litigation holds and preservation of electronic discovery) of litigation (and generally, in settlements, the defendants still deny any liability and have made no admissions of liability).

I started posting on basketball message boards in 2002. I posted on Duke boards, but also the Boneyard (then on the Rivals site), the Summitt, Hornsfans (Texas), Stanford's board (when it was free), etc. Initially, I loathed UConn, Diana Taurasi, Geno, and UConn's fans. When Phoenix drafted Taurasi (and I had several meetings with Seth Sulka, then-Mercury GM, where we watched tape of Taurasi and Alana Beard), things started to change. I grew to not just like her, but to be amazed by her and what she could do on the court (most notably, her court vision and her ability to think/see a play develop three passes before it happens). And when UConn took a step back (relatively speaking) in 2005 and 2006 while Duke reloaded (and went to the championship game, something Beard did not do), many Boneyard posters began to respect Gail Goestenkors as a coach and, by extenion, me as a poster (though a lot of that had already started to change when I began posting my game observations/analysis about Taurasi in Phoenix).

Around the same time (it was actually during the 2006-2007 college season), Rob Clough (who writes for DWHoops and who is a very well-respected journalist) made the comment that the players on Duke really liked Gail Goestenkors but that Geno's players truly loved him. People who play for him truly believe he is their surrogate father/older sibling/harshest critic/best friend all in one.

Over the years, I have grown to not just respect Geno for his accomplishments, but to admire him for the way he achieved them. He has taken teenagers and turned them into successful adults, both on the court and off. And I have a much better appreciation for his sense of humor now than I did eight years ago. In many ways, I have realized how very similar my sense of humor is to his!

As I said earlier, if all of the allegations against Geno Auriemma are true, then his conduct is deplorable and he needs to be held accountable. But if they are not true or if there is no finding of liability, then I truly feel sorry for Geno. His critics/detractors will always "proclaim his guilt" (to take a criminal law term out of context), irrespective of the lack of finding of liability.

Having lived through the Duke lacrosse scandal and saw how Mike Nifong (the disgraced former District Attorney), fans on message boards, certain members of the media (Nancy Grace, I am looking at you), several professors at Duke, etc. rushed to judgment and convicted and condemned the entire Duke lacrosse team for allegations that were not just false but that were part of a cover-up by the District Attorney in spite of the player's innocence (the state Attorney General declared the players "innocent"), I have a tremendous amount of sympathy for Geno Auriemma should the allegations prove to be not true or if there is no finding of liability. In some ways, the damage has already been done.
I've decided to come out of hibernation just to take my hat off to you, Cam - Well said!
Those who know the guy love and admire him, which is why I don't personally give a rat's behind about what the crew at that Other Board (or anyone else with an agenda) thinks of him. I felt for the Duke players as I feel for anyone who is falsely accused of anything (it does not matter what it is) but, as a woman, I also take these sort of accusations very seriously. It's just too bad that the court of public opinion no longer seems to hear the word "alleged" and immediately equates an accusation to a guilty verdict.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
My bet is that , at this point, the only people who give this story any credence are those who desperately want to.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
The almost universal response I've gotten from non-UConn fans has been, "I don't believe a word of it."

Reaction Score
My bet is that , at this point, the only people who give this story any credence are those who desperately want to.
I agree. In checking all opponents message boards none even mention it except for the Summitt.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I agree. In checking all opponents message boards none even mention it except for the Summitt.
One person on the Penn State board started a short thread.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I'd like to take this opportunity to thank Cam for making it possible for me to say that one of my best friends is a Dukie with a straight face. :)

010.JPG

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Jack of all Trades, without having your entire post reprinted, permit me to add that I am among many guys raised in a very urban environment, then had my interpersonal communications skills honed during a career in the Army. I have always thought of the exchanges you write about so knowledgeably as "traditional scatalogical pleasantries."

I hope that works for you.

Kib - I think it's a bit different from the typical military ball busting/scatalogical humor . In the military it was more profane and less personal. The rank structure may have had a lot to do with that.

I spent 22 years in the military followed by 15 years working for an outfit that was headquartered on the south end of Broad St. Most of the employees were south Philly Italian. For them busting stones was an art form. It took me a while to understand (and embrace) it. More personal than profane - "where'd ya get that suit, Home Depot?", sort of stuff and seldom intended to be taken seriously. Wiseass was second nature and just like with Geno it sometimes got people into trouble.

Incidentally, it wasn't just males, most of the women were just as good at it.

Reaction Score
As an aside, my post in the main "Geno being sued" thread (about the waiters and the better restaurants) was designed to bring a little humor to a very serious situation (for those of you who remembe the buildup to the 2003 game between Duke and UConn)....e.
Really great post, Cam! I used to wonder why a Duke guy posted on the Boneyard so often, but over time I've come to enjoy your posts...mostly. anyways!
I am also concerned that whatever the outcome, the damage has been done. I am a great admirer of Geno, and I love his sense of humor. I am among the multitude who don't believe he did anything untoward. While I'd like to have a chance to sit down and talk to Geno, I know that will never happen. The closest I came was at the autograph session at the last Supershow. It was interesting, though:When he signed my poster, he looked up, and like he was greeting an old friend, he said "How are you doing?" I thought that was way cool...

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

The Notre Dame board (such as it is) has a thread with a couple of posts that would rival some on the Summitt (at least based on past history as I stay away from the Summitt).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom