Thoughts about the Ashland game | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Thoughts about the Ashland game

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I am surprised by the lack of a talent spark in the three highly touted freshmen. I would have thought that they would be showing the world why they were ranked among the top players in the nation as HS seniors. But their play has been sloppy, and, quite frankly, Ashland outplayed them. Without Walker and Stevens in there for the final five-plus minutes, Ashland outscored them 12-8 the rest of the way.

Too many turnovers, too many layups allowed, too many players left open, and too many outside shots missed.

No doubt that the first seven, including Walker and Z in whatever configuration Coach Geno comes up with, could be far and away the best seven in the nation. But after that, I'm not confident that the Other Five could come in and help against any opponent, Top 25 or even AAC also-rans.
The freshmen are still learning and getting acclimated to the system. Can you truly make a fair decision after two exhibition games? Many of Uconn's freshmen have struggled early in the season including Gabby.

Reaction Score
Lexi's problem from day one has been conditioning, not ability.
If Gordon is having a conditioning problem I’m surprised. At around 18 years old and probably having been told by future teammates and coaches what she was getting into, how does that happen? There were summer workouts, organized pre-Italy practices, and the dreaded preseason practices where the kids are pushed constantly. From what I’ve heard and read, her attitude is great so I can’t understand how by now there’s a conditioning problem.

Reaction Score
I am surprised by the lack of a talent spark in the three highly touted freshmen. I would have thought that they would be showing the world why they were ranked among the top players in the nation as HS seniors.

Next year you'll be singing a different tune with some of these talented players. IMO you are way over-rating h/s seniors. These kids other than Coombs (the other 2) weren't rated that high. You saw last year how much Danger struggled. And what about the big girl from Baylor? They struggled mightily as freshmen. And yet you are expecting these kids "to show the world . . ." Danger looked better because she was top 3 recruits. Overall, Gordon and Andra were not near this highly rated.

For example Collier was 1-7 in her 1st exhb game and 3-6 from the ft line vs mighty Lubbock Christian and there was the belief that she was actually the best freshman in the class. In the next exhb game UCONN won 98-18 v s Vanguard, Lou was 3-11 from the floor. What would they have shown the world in these games? They would have shown them that they are freshmen. And because they are so young they are going to get beat especially early on.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
I’m familiar with the 2001 team. They were loaded, but they lost 3 games, including 1 bad loss before Sveta’s injury.

This team may have 7 AAs and multiple NPOYs. We have a long way to go, but this team is very talented. I think they may compare with a healthy 2001 team. They can start to prove it in a week.
The 2015-16 team, with Stewie, Mo, Tuck, Kia, Gabby, Saniya, Pheesa and Lou, wasn't shy on talent, either.

Reaction Score
If Gordon is having a conditioning problem I’m surprised. At around 18 years old and probably having been told by future teammates and coaches what she was getting into, how does that happen? There were summer workouts, organized pre-Italy practices, and the dreaded preseason practices where the kids are pushed constantly. From what I’ve heard and read, her attitude is great so I can’t understand how by now there’s a conditioning problem.

It happens with nearly every freshman. How many bigs do you see fit to play 30 minutes for a top ten team - never mind a UCONN team that doesn't lose? Guards are more fit because everything they do - quickness and/or speed is needed. But Lexi is a hybrid 3 - 4. She's had knee issues. You think with her knee issues - and the fact she probably played at a slower pace in which she was able to use her skill/size vs more over-matched opponents, that she won't have a conditioning issue with the number 1 ranked team? It probably wouldn;'t be a conditioning issue with the 25th ranked team unless her knee hampers her even more than we can know. Just because you are young, doesn't mean you are "UCONN fit."

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
I find it difficult to contribute to the game thread, so, for what little they are worth, here are a few thoughts about this game. Nothing earth-shattering, mind you, but IMHO.....

1. That first string was on fire. If KLS and Kia keep shooting threes like that, the team will be very difficult to stop.
2. Gabby looked better, meaning more consistent. There weren't those missed layups. And she rebounds like a demon.
3. Walker showed her stuff today. She looked good and, unlike in the first game, she fit in with the veterans. That may be the most important thing that happened, in terms of overall importance to the team.
4. Another good day for Z. Of course, she was playing against a much shorter team, so she did what she should have done.
5. I saw little to impress from AEH. Gordon was energetic. Coombs did not have a good day, let's just leave it at that.
6. Molly Bent got to play for a while, and did not disgrace herself. Her game is coming together, though I doubt she'll ever contribute much offensively.
7. Was Kyla ill? At the end of the 3rd quarter, she left the court breathing hard. She also did not have a good day on the court, either offensively or defensively.
8. The good news is the freshmen looked a lot less discombobulated than they did in the first game. But at this point, at least, anyone who thinks the last five could hold their own against a decent Division 1 team is crazy. They could keep even with Div. 2 Ashland, but that's all.

For me, the telling stat as to whether the team played well is assists-to-baskets. It almost defines Geno's offensive philosophy. The rate all of last year was 72% (55% versus Mississippi State) and it's been around 75% in the two preseason games. That's a very good sign.

Neither Lou (2-10) nor Z (0-9) were able to find the range from behind the arc in the two preseason games but still managed to validate Geno's comment that "Just because you don't shoot well doesn't mean you didn't play well." UConn will be even more lethal once they get untracked.

There's a lot to like.

Reaction Score
Walker was good to great, for a frosh. AEH, Coombs showed energy, Gordon not so much. Danger is a leader. Molly is a mystery, Irwin is the Irwin of 2016. The 5 plus As zyou RAY is nearly all I hoped Z
would be. Stanford will show our strong points and some weaknesses. (not many). Can you believe Uconn was beaten in the 3rd quarter? Uconn starters plus MS Stevens and Walker--shot a bit around 70 percent. The Frosh, minus Walker, played like Frosh ---good moments some not so good.
"The 5 plus As zyou RAY is nearly all I hoped Z would be." Don't know if folks have noticed, but "Z"'s speed running down court during the fast break has been impressive - she motors, and finishes like no big I've seen. When other bigs we play against are dragging in the second half this year, believe "Z" will be getting some easy fast break buckets. And, when she begins to drain those "3"s, she'll get a bit more notice! While we've got plenty of talent, she will be the "Z" factor!:p Will we be untouchable? Its going to be fun to watch!

Reaction Score
The freshmen are still learning and getting acclimated to the system. Can you truly make a fair decision after two exhibition games? Many of Uconn's freshmen have struggled early in the season including Gabby.
Of course you are correct-it is too early to judge the frosh--but we do that so well. And we do that every preseason, it's almost a tradition---I speak as the leader of the judges judging the kids---some one in the long distance past said--judge not lest ye be judged. Here on the BY Ye be all of us.
Yet you are right.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Believe it.

Reaction Score
Again, I was at the game and was impressed, as everyone else was, with the offensive exhibition by the starters. I agree that Megan Walker looked really good today, and it is easy to see why she was the #1 high school player last year. She seems to do everything well, including moving without the ball. She is certainly the athletic peer of anyone else on the team, and it isn't taking her long to see opportunities to be aggressive on offense. She is clearly #7 on the depth chart.

This is the second game where Kia was the #1 scorer, and it is mainly because of her 3-point shooting. So far, she is the most reliable 3-point shooter on the team. I think she does benefit from the defense worrying about everyone else first, but that's a good way to get her points. I now see no circumstances where she will be out of the starting lineup.

At the other end of the bench, I thought that Mikayla Coombs, when she finally got in the game, clearly outplayed Molly. Molly was the replacement when Crystal came out of the game, suggesting that she is under consideration to be the backup PG. But (as has been noted) she still seems to be more concerned with avoiding mistakes than with playing aggressively and opportunistically. Not only does she seem reluctant to shoot, but she also never makes an aggressive move to the basket -- the only backcourt player on the team of whom that can be said after these two exhibition games. By contrast, Mikayla played aggressively and made some mistakes, but aggressive mistakes are very forgivable. I think she will soon displace Molly (if she hasn't already) as Crystal's primary backup.

I don't quite see why Lexi Gordon is stuck at the end of the bench, playing only the last 5 minutes of each of these exhibition games. I thought that her minutes (in both games) were creditable, and should earn her more time. I get that she apparently has a conditioning problem, but obviously that can't be solved in a short time, and I would think that 10 to 12 widely spaced minutes would be more appropriate for her.

By contrast, Andra Espinosa-Hunter has gotten a lot of minutes in both exhibition games, and I'm not exactly sure why. She has played capably but (to me) has not distinguished herself in a way that warrants all those minutes. She is a little bit more offensively aggressive than Molly, but not a lot. She also seems more concerned with avoiding mistakes than finding opportunities to make an impact. That is understandable for a freshman early in the season, but none of the other three freshmen have played that way, and (in my opinion) they have had more of an impact on the games on a per-minute basis than she has.
Do you think Kia just has less pressure/responsibility to run the offense and can just concentrate on being a scorer, a true 2?

JordyG

Reaction Score
Stanford rarely gets crushed like that. Even recent UConn wins over the Cardinal have been a lot closer.
First time for everything.

Reaction Score
Next year you'll be singing a different tune with some of these talented players. IMO you are way over-rating h/s seniors. These kids other than Coombs (the other 2) weren't rated that high. You saw last year how much Danger struggled. And what about the big girl from Baylor? They struggled mightily as freshmen. And yet you are expecting these kids "to show the world . . ." Danger looked better because she was top 3 recruits. Overall, Gordon and Andra were not near this highly rated.

For example Collier was 1-7 in her 1st exhb game and 3-6 from the ft line vs mighty Lubbock Christian and there was the belief that she was actually the best freshman in the class. In the next exhb game UCONN won 98-18 v s Vanguard, Lou was 3-11 from the floor. What would they have shown the world in these games? They would have shown them that they are freshmen. And because they are so young they are going to get beat especially early on.

Nothing personal but your attitude is an example of why highly ranked players don't end up at UConn...........the intense scrutiny each player is under from the coaching staff all the way to the fans is unlike any other program............playing for UConn is like joining the Navy Seals........it's something many want to do but few actually can........ the conditioning program nand the competitive atmosphere is unlike anything that these players have experienced..........I wouldn't be surprised if Geno's practices are tougher then those in the WNBA...........your expectations should be high but don't be surprised when a particular player takes additional time to reach the necessary goals..............and yes on occasion a player never reaches them..............I'm not sure what Lexi's situation is at the moment but I'm confident she'll work her way back into Geno's good graces...........

Reaction Score
Walker is SPECIAL!!! Once the game slows down for her, and she fully understands exactly what she's doing (remember it took Gabby a year), we'll see why she was the #1 high school player in the entire country last year. All things in time! Geno will have two openings in his starting lineup next year. She will earn one of them!! :cool:
I would think Z would take the other spot.

Reaction Score
You know, kudos to Ashland. They were well coached, they hustled, they stole the ball, they contested inbound passes, they rebounded relatively well, even though they were going up against a future All-american 6'6" center. And they never gave up. Indeed, they outplayed a group of highly touted freshmen. So I am going to pay attention to Ashland going forward. I'm guessing that they could win their own championship this year!

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Stanford rarely gets crushed like that. Even recent UConn wins over the Cardinal have been a lot closer.

Agreed. However...............being that this is the first game of the season..........and Stanford handed UConn a loss at their last meeting, Geno just might leave his foot on the pedal (leave the starters in longer) a little longer than he normally would.

Or, he may share the same mindset as Gus, in that this game has no relevance to the 2014 loss, and pull his starters once the game has been decided. We'll see. We say that in anticipation of UConn enjoying a "comfortable" lead late in the 4th quarter.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Agreed. However.....being that this is the first game of the season.....and Stanford handed UConn a loss at their last meeting, Geno just might leave his foot on the pedal (leave the starters in longer) a little longer than he normally would.

Or, he may share the same mindset as Gus, in that this game has no relevance to the 2014 loss, and pull his starters once the game has been decided. We'll see. We say that in anticipation of UConn enjoying a "comfortable" lead late in the 4th quarter.

I think the only UConn blowout over Stanford in recent memory was the 61-35 win in Palo Alto in 2012. Otherwise, UConn had to grind out wins or suffer a couple of defeats. Beating the Cardinal by 20 is like beating most other teams by 40.

JS

Reaction Score
I think the only UConn blowout over Stanford in recent memory was the 61-35 win in Palo Alto in 2012. Otherwise, UConn had to grind out wins or suffer a couple of defeats. Beating the Cardinal by 20 is like beating most other teams by 40.
Ah, but Stanford without any Ogwumikes or Samuelsons is post-apocalyptic for them. Biggest change in about 30 years.

Without all those potent sisters, they'll be going around their huddle reading the backs of each other's jersies, saying "Where's this year's sister? How we gonna play?"

Reaction Score
Nothing personal but your attitude is an example of why highly ranked players don't end up at UConn......the intense scrutiny each player is under from the coaching staff all the way to the fans is unlike any other program..playing for UConn is like joining the Navy Seals...it's something many want to do but few actually can... the conditioning program nand the competitive atmosphere is unlike anything that these players have experienced.....I wouldn't be surprised if Geno's practices are tougher then those in the WNBA......your expectations should be high but don't be surprised when a particular player takes additional time to reach the necessary goals....and yes on occasion a player never reaches them....I'm not sure what Lexi's situation is at the moment but I'm confident she'll work her way back into Geno's good graces......

Huh? Are you saying my post "would scare away" recruits?

Reaction Score
Huh? Are you saying my post "would scare away" recruits?

No, not at all........I'm saying that the hypercriticism which many UConn fans sometimes exhibit is an example of the microscope one plays under when joining the finest WBB program in the country............it starts with the coaching staff and extends to all of us...........some players thrive under it others run the other way and never look back.............

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
The 119-56 win Sunday was just a snapshot of what’s ahead this season. The team with three All-Americans and six or seven experienced players in its rotation was simply overwhelming for the team that traveled from Northern Ohio.

Consider the first quarter: UConn made 19 of 26 shots to take a 45-11 lead, behind Kia Nurse (13 points) and Katie Lou Samuelson (11). The Huskies led 79-21 at halftime, shooting 72.3 percent.

I'm wondering if UConn can pull this feat off against any team on their schedule this year? A 79 pt half time score. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
No, not at all...I'm saying that the hypercriticism which many UConn fans sometimes exhibit is an example of the microscope one plays under when joining the finest WBB program in the country..it starts with the coaching staff and extends to all of us......some players thrive under it others run the other way and never look back...

Did I say something bad/ hypocritical?

Reaction Score
Didn't UCONN beat Stanford convincingly in the '95 semi-final?

Reaction Score
Did I say something bad/ hypocritical?

My apologies, I somehow picked up your response to Fairfield Fan and BobbyJ's comments...........I was referring to their quick criticism of the freshmen.............your response to them was right on the money.........sorry about that........

JordyG

Reaction Score
Has anyone found interviews with the Ashland players or coaches?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom