Thoughts about the Ashland game | The Boneyard

Thoughts about the Ashland game

Reaction Score
I find it difficult to contribute to the game thread, so, for what little they are worth, here are a few thoughts about this game. Nothing earth-shattering, mind you, but IMHO.....

1. That first string was on fire. If KLS and Kia keep shooting threes like that, the team will be very difficult to stop.
2. Gabby looked better, meaning more consistent. There weren't those missed layups. And she rebounds like a demon.
3. Walker showed her stuff today. She looked good and, unlike in the first game, she fit in with the veterans. That may be the most important thing that happened, in terms of overall importance to the team.
4. Another good day for Z. Of course, she was playing against a much shorter team, so she did what she should have done.
5. I saw little to impress from AEH. Gordon was energetic. Coombs did not have a good day, let's just leave it at that.
6. Molly Bent got to play for a while, and did not disgrace herself. Her game is coming together, though I doubt she'll ever contribute much offensively.
7. Was Kyla ill? At the end of the 3rd quarter, she left the court breathing hard. She also did not have a good day on the court, either offensively or defensively.
8. The good news is the freshmen looked a lot less discombobulated than they did in the first game. But at this point, at least, anyone who thinks the last five could hold their own against a decent Division 1 team is crazy. They could keep even with Div. 2 Ashland, but that's all.

Reaction Score
Walker was good to great, for a frosh. AEH, Coombs showed energy, Gordon not so much. Danger is a leader. Molly is a mystery, Irwin is the Irwin of 2016. The 5 plus As zyou RAY is nearly all I hoped Z
would be. Stanford will show our strong points and some weaknesses. (not many). Can you believe Uconn was beaten in the 3rd quarter? Uconn starters plus MS Stevens and Walker--shot a bit around 70 percent. The Frosh, minus Walker, played like Frosh ---good moments some not so good.

Reaction Score
1. Start 5 plus Z just as good as anyone can image.
2. Megan is super talent. She can find the shots and score. ....edit....
3. AEH and Coombs are solid ball handling players. Fast and furious.
4. Molly, Kyla and Lexi need more time to improve.

Last edited by a moderator:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
1. Start 5 plus Z just as good as anyone can image.
2. Megan is super talent. She can find the shots and score. ....edit....
3. AEH and Coombs are solid ball handling players. Fast and furious.
4. Molly, Kyla and Lexi need more time to improve.
The starters plus Z may be the best top 6 I've seen.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I find it difficult to contribute to the game thread, so, for what little they are worth, here are a few thoughts about this game. Nothing earth-shattering, mind you, but IMHO.....

1. That first string was on fire. If KLS and Kia keep shooting threes like that, the team will be very difficult to stop.
2. Gabby looked better, meaning more consistent. There weren't those missed layups. And she rebounds like a demon.
3. Walker showed her stuff today. She looked good and, unlike in the first game, she fit in with the veterans. That may be the most important thing that happened, in terms of overall importance to the team.
4. Another good day for Z. Of course, she was playing against a much shorter team, so she did what she should have done.
5. I saw little to impress from AEH. Gordon was energetic. Coombs did not have a good day, let's just leave it at that.
6. Molly Bent got to play for a while, and did not disgrace herself. Her game is coming together, though I doubt she'll ever contribute much offensively.
7. Was Kyla ill? At the end of the 3rd quarter, she left the court breathing hard. She also did not have a good day on the court, either offensively or defensively.
8. The good news is the freshmen looked a lot less discombobulated than they did in the first game. But at this point, at least, anyone who thinks the last five could hold their own against a decent Division 1 team is crazy. They could keep even with Div. 2 Ashland, but that's all.

An honest observation tomcat, thanks for sharing. Sometimes hard and honest critiques are hard for some to swallow. Please keep them coming. I would just remind everyone that the freshmen will play like freshmen (just like Crystal did) all year. They're on a learning curve/journey that ALL freshmen MUST take.

This time next year, I expect to see that sophomore leap in skill, ability and understanding that we are seeing now in Dangerfield. Geno says it every year that most freshmen are not ready to play UConn basketball their first year. Most of them are like a deer in headlights. Jefferson definitely had that look on several occasions, so did Dangerous. As a freshman, you're playing against bigger, stronger, faster, older players that know what they're doing, and............................... you're trying to play fro Geno. :eek:

I agree that it does appear that Bent and Irwin need a little more seasoning. I implored others that were giving Crystal some undeserved shade last year to give her some slack, as she was doing the best she could under the circumstances...................being the 6th man, because Geno didn't have much of a choice.

Give the freshmen the benefit of a year's worth of maturation, I bet you'll like what you see.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I was thinking the same, and I certainly yield to your expertise. But didn't the incredible, but ill-fated 2000/1 team start out with D as sixth man?

In any case, the way Walker played today, it may be shaping up as the best top 7 ever....
That was a good squad too: Shea, Sveta, Shuey, Swin, Tamika, Asjha, Sue, Diana, et al. As of that year, Shea and Sveta had been named AAs. Others would go on to be named AAs, plus we had 2 POYs. This year, we have 3 AAs already and 4 others with AA potential. There are at least 5 NPOY candidates on this squad (in this season or future seasons).

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score
I was thinking the same, and I certainly yield to your expertise. But didn't the incredible, but ill-fated 2000/1 team start out with D as sixth man?

In any case, the way Walker played today, it may be shaping up as the best top 7 ever....

Walker is SPECIAL!!! Once the game slows down for her, and she fully understands exactly what she's doing (remember it took Gabby a year), we'll see why she was the #1 high school player in the entire country last year. All things in time! Geno will have two openings in his starting lineup next year. She will earn one of them!! :cool:

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Walker is SPECIAL!!! Once the game slows down for her, and she fully understands exactly what she's doing (remember it took Gabby a year), we'll see why she was the #1 high school player in the entire country last year. All things in time! :cool:

Gabby was pretty darn good as a freshmen which I think people forget. She averaged over 8 points and nearly 6 boards in under 16 minutes while shooting 64%. She wasn't quite ready to put those kinds of numbers up against Notre Dame but she was an excellent contributor against the majority of opponents. I'd love to see someone like Coombs contribute in a similar manner at some point.

Reaction Score
I agree with many of you about Meagan. She has been the most pleasant surprise for me. We all know how good the returning players and Z were going to be, and some of them have made real leaps since last year. But it's already starting to appear that when Kia leaves, Meagan may be able to slide right in to her starter's position next year, and that would be a blessing!

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Again, I was at the game and was impressed, as everyone else was, with the offensive exhibition by the starters. I agree that Megan Walker looked really good today, and it is easy to see why she was the #1 high school player last year. She seems to do everything well, including moving without the ball. She is certainly the athletic peer of anyone else on the team, and it isn't taking her long to see opportunities to be aggressive on offense. She is clearly #7 on the depth chart.

This is the second game where Kia was the #1 scorer, and it is mainly because of her 3-point shooting. So far, she is the most reliable 3-point shooter on the team. I think she does benefit from the defense worrying about everyone else first, but that's a good way to get her points. I now see no circumstances where she will be out of the starting lineup.

At the other end of the bench, I thought that Mikayla Coombs, when she finally got in the game, clearly outplayed Molly. Molly was the replacement when Crystal came out of the game, suggesting that she is under consideration to be the backup PG. But (as has been noted) she still seems to be more concerned with avoiding mistakes than with playing aggressively and opportunistically. Not only does she seem reluctant to shoot, but she also never makes an aggressive move to the basket -- the only backcourt player on the team of whom that can be said after these two exhibition games. By contrast, Mikayla played aggressively and made some mistakes, but aggressive mistakes are very forgivable. I think she will soon displace Molly (if she hasn't already) as Crystal's primary backup.

I don't quite see why Lexi Gordon is stuck at the end of the bench, playing only the last 5 minutes of each of these exhibition games. I thought that her minutes (in both games) were creditable, and should earn her more time. I get that she apparently has a conditioning problem, but obviously that can't be solved in a short time, and I would think that 10 to 12 widely spaced minutes would be more appropriate for her.

By contrast, Andra Espinosa-Hunter has gotten a lot of minutes in both exhibition games, and I'm not exactly sure why. She has played capably but (to me) has not distinguished herself in a way that warrants all those minutes. She is a little bit more offensively aggressive than Molly, but not a lot. She also seems more concerned with avoiding mistakes than finding opportunities to make an impact. That is understandable for a freshman early in the season, but none of the other three freshmen have played that way, and (in my opinion) they have had more of an impact on the games on a per-minute basis than she has.

Reaction Score
Again, I was at the game and was impressed, as everyone else was, with the offensive exhibition by the starters. I agree that Megan Walker looked really good today, and it is easy to see why she was the #1 high school player last year. She seems to do everything well, including moving without the ball. She is certainly the athletic peer of anyone else on the team, and it isn't taking her long to see opportunities to be aggressive on offense. She is clearly #7 on the depth chart.
That took a long time - until the 2nd exhibition game of her freshman season :p

Wait til she starts asserting herself. How long til #6...5...4...3........... ??

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Regarding Kia's excellent shooting, some of it is because the other players (Lou especially) draw the defense, but Kia is very good at using screens and getting open. She also has worked hard to become a great shooter. She led the conference in both 3-point shooting and FT shooting last year--not Lou, not Laksa of USF. She set a record for most 3-pointers in an NCAA tourney. Can she lead the nation in 3-point shooting? I think she'll be close. When she's open, she's money.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Walker is SPECIAL!!! Once the game slows down for her, and she fully understands exactly what she's doing (remember it took Gabby a year), we'll see why she was the #1 high school player in the entire country last year. All things in time! She will start next year!! :cool:
Well, offensively Meg seems to be grasping the flow at a quicker rate than the other freshmen. But defensively, she got beat just about every series, both to her left and right. It's not as if she dogging it on defense. On the contrary, she's putting out effort. She just has a way to go.

But all in all I'm very satisfied with this game. As compared to the game against Fort Hays their pace in the offensive end was just outstanding. They cut hard, passed crisply, shot well, and set a few good screens. The missed a few, but that will come. They scored mostly in transition in the first half, and as was pointed out during the broadcast, in secondary transition. They also, in secondary transition, spread the floor really well. Their pick and roll offense looks good. They need a little work on their hi/lo offense. They did struggle a bit once Geno slowed the pace and they worked their half court offense. This all will come. Lou is just terrific and the offense is clearly less hesitant and more explosive when she's on the floor. WCBB is in for it y'all, and I ain't feeling sorry for none of youse. This team has a weapon at all five on the floor, 1 through 6. When Meg plays well, 1 through 7.

Let's light this candle.

Last edited:

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score

This is the second game where Kia was the #1 scorer, and it is mainly because of her 3-point shooting. So far, she is the most reliable 3-point shooter on the team. I think she does benefit from the defense worrying about everyone else first, but that's a good way to get her points. I now see no circumstances where she will be out of the starting lineup.

At the other end of the bench, I thought that Mikayla Coombs, when she finally got in the game, clearly outplayed Molly. Molly was the replacement when Crystal came out of the game, suggesting that she is under consideration to be the backup PG. But (as has been noted) she still seems to be more concerned with avoiding mistakes than with playing aggressively and opportunistically. Not only does she seem reluctant to shoot, but she also never makes an aggressive move to the basket -- the only backcourt player on the team of whom that can be said after these two exhibition games. By contrast, Mikayla played aggressively and made some mistakes, but aggressive mistakes are very forgivable. I think she will soon displace Molly (if she hasn't already) as Crystal's primary backup.

I don't quite see why Lexi Gordon is stuck at the end of the bench, playing only the last 5 minutes of each of these exhibition games. I thought that her minutes (in both games) were creditable, and should earn her more time. I get that she apparently has a conditioning problem, but obviously that can't be solved in a short time, and I would think that 10 to 12 widely spaced minutes would be more appropriate for her.

By contrast, Andra Espinosa-Hunter has gotten a lot of minutes in both exhibition games, and I'm not exactly sure why. She has played capably but (to me) has not distinguished herself in a way that warrants all those minutes. She is a little bit more offensively aggressive than Molly, but not a lot. She also seems more concerned with avoiding mistakes than finding opportunities to make an impact. That is understandable for a freshman early in the season, but none of the other three freshmen have played that way, and (in my opinion) they have had more of an impact on the games on a per-minute basis than she has.
Lexi's problem from day one has been conditioning, not ability.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Well, offensively Meg seems to be grasping the flow at a quicker rate than the other freshmen. But defensively, she go beat just about every series, both to her left and right. It's not though as if she dogging it on defense. On the contrary, she's putting out effort. She just has a way to go.

But all in all I'm very satisfied with this game. As compared to the game against Fort Hays their pace in the offensive end was just outstanding. They cut hard, passed crisply, shot well, and set a few good screens. The missed a few, but that will come. They scored mostly in transition in the first half, and as was pointed out during the broadcast, in secondary transition. They also, in secondary transition, spread the floor really well. Their pick and roll offense looks good. They need a little work on their hi/lo offense. They did struggle a bit once Geno slowed the pace and they worked their half court offense. This all will come. Lou is just terrific and the offense is clearly less hesitant and more explosive when she's on the floor. WCBB is in for it y'all, and I ain't feeling sorry for none of youse. This team has a weapon at all five on the floor, 1 through 6. When Meg plays well, 1 through 7.

Let's light this candle.

What do you expect from UConn Sunday against Stanford? Do they avenge their 2014 loss? How far down on the bench does Geno go? How many minutes do the starters play? Final score?

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
What do you expect from UConn Sunday against Stanford? Do they avenge their 2014 loss? How far down on the bench does Geno go? How many minutes do the starters play? Final score?
I dunno about anyone else, but I expect a 30-pt win. Regarding 2014, its relevancy has come and gone. (It was huge, but only two on this team were there.)

Carnac

Reaction Score
I dunno about anyone else, but I expect a 30-pt win. Regarding 2014, its relevancy has come and gone. (It was huge, but only two on this team were there.)

True, but the coaches have not forgotten. A lot of Boneyarders remember it like it was yesterday, because it was not that they lost, but how they lost. I think a win would provide closure in that matter.

Not only that, lest I remind you that a loss to Stanford Sunday would mean 2 consecutive losses for the Huskies, thus another streak (24 years old) would be broken. I don't think the Huskies want Stanford to have the pleasure of breaking another UConn streak. That would be twice in two meetings. And THAT sir would be absolutely unacceptable.

Reaction Score
That was a good squad too: Shea, Sveta, Shuey, Swin, Tamika, Asjha, Sue, Diana, et al. As of that year, Shea and Sveta had been named AAs. Others would go on to be named AAs, plus we had 2 POYs. This year, we have 3 AAs already and 4 others with AA potential. There are at least 5 NPOY candidates on this squad (in this season or future seasons).

MilfordHusky- - -Geno has always said that 2000-2001 was the GREATEST TALENT ASSEMBLED EVER, even though they didn't win a championship! 7 AA's by the time they all left UCONN. If Svet and Shea had not been seriously injured UCONN would never have given up a 15 point 1/2 lead to ND because those 2 would have settled everybody including DT down and DT wouldn't had to shoot like a mad-woman to try and bring UCONN back!
UCONN just plays different in the FF even with the loss to MissSt last year and losing to ND earlier that season figured in, and they would have defeated The Muffett and ND would still be searching for their 1st title!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
MilfordHusky- - -Geno has always said that 2000-2001 was the GREATEST TALENT ASSEMBLED EVER, even though they didn't win a championship! 7 AA's by the time they all left UCONN. If Svet and Shea had not been seriously injured UCONN would never have given up a 15 point 1/2 lead to ND because those 2 would have settled everybody including DT down and DT wouldn't had to shoot like a mad-woman to try and bring UCONN back!
UCONN just plays different in the FF even with the loss to MissSt last year and losing to ND earlier that season figured in, and they would have defeated The Muffett and ND would still be searching for their 1st title!
I’m familiar with the 2001 team. They were loaded, but they lost 3 games, including 1 bad loss before Sveta’s injury.

This team may have 7 AAs and multiple NPOYs. We have a long way to go, but this team is very talented. I think they may compare with a healthy 2001 team. They can start to prove it in a week.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score

Stanford rarely gets crushed like that. Even recent UConn wins over the Cardinal have been a lot closer.

Reaction Score
I am surprised by the lack of a talent spark in the three highly touted freshmen. I would have thought that they would be showing the world why they were ranked among the top players in the nation as HS seniors. But their play has been sloppy, and, quite frankly, Ashland outplayed them. Without Walker and Stevens in there for the final five-plus minutes, Ashland outscored them 12-8 the rest of the way.

Too many turnovers, too many layups allowed, too many players left open, and too many outside shots missed.

No doubt that the first seven, including Walker and Z in whatever configuration Coach Geno comes up with, could be far and away the best seven in the nation. But after that, I'm not confident that the Other Five could come in and help against any opponent, Top 25 or even AAC also-rans.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom