This thread is hilarious | Page 3 | The Boneyard

This thread is hilarious

Reaction Score
Haven't visited that site in years. It was a toilet so I took a dump and left without flushing.

Honestly didn't know it was still up until this thread.

Reaction Score
I scoped their site. They have a hate thread on us since '17. I do find it funny to see how there is cross pollination of fanbase posts between boards. They clearly come and spend time here, likely more so than we do there.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
That's just denial talking. This year will pass and Syracuse will make way more money than us based on their conference affiliation. They ain't leaving.

BTW, UNC fans love us for knocking out Duke in 1999 and 2004.

Lol - the guy talking denial is the one with his arms crossed in the corner mumbling “zombie big East .”

Have a run at their board, pal, you would fit right in.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
The key is they are not mad. Please do not print on the internet that they are mad.

They're not mad at all.

All we have is 4 national championships and the fact that Tyler Olander has more titles than Jim Boeheim. That's it! Why would they be mad?

Reaction Score
They're not mad at all.

All we have is 4 national championships and the fact that Tyler Olander has more titles than Jim Boeheim. That's it! Why would they be mad?

They don’t care, they got 1 and that’s all that matters. Someone there actually said he just wanted 1. That’s the difference between ourfan bases. They are happy with one in a lifetime. I’m pissed if we only get one per decade.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
We need to get out of the BE and into a real conference. One that pays like the ACC.
That's a lot like getting a million dollars and not paying taxes. First, get a million dollars...

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
They're not mad at all.

Lol, I laughed at the one poster who quoted that. It is definitely in their heads.

Reaction Score
Lol - the guy talking denial is the one with his arms crossed in the corner mumbling “zombie big East .”

Have a run at their board, pal, you would fit right in.
I'm a UConn fan and alum. I am not all warm and fuzzy about the ZBE. I just cannot pretend that it's 1990. I find the teenage gushing about the BE sophomoric. I am not happy we failed in the AAC. Sorry to intrude on your pajama party with some reality. But please, knock yourself out.

CL82

Reaction Score
I'm a UConn fan and alum. I am not all warm and fuzzy about the ZBE. I just cannot pretend that it's 1990. I find the teenage gushing about the BE sophomoric. I am not happy we failed in the AAC. Sorry to intrude on your pajama party with some reality. But please, knock yourself out.
So, just be clear...
1) Are you unhappy to have more games against regional opponents, like Villanova, St. John's, PC and Seton Hall? (Blah, blah Marquette, Creighton... blah blah, yes I know but that doesn't change that BE is way more regional for us than the American.

2) Are you unhappy to be playing in a league that is more attractive to top recruits? We've already heard guys saying that being in the BE was a factor for them.

3) Are you unhappy in actually playing in our natural recruiting area? New England, NY, NJ, Philly and DC is our targeted recruiting area. Is it possible that you don't see a benefit to playing games in the area that we actually draw recruits from?

4) Are you unhappy about playing more games in MSG? Because I actually enjoy seeing games there quite a bit. The BET at MSG is an outstanding experience. It is tough to imagine any MBB fan not being excited about it.

5) Are you unhappy about having drivable road games? Living in the NYC metropolitan area it is pretty attractive to me.

6) Are you unhappy about all the positive national press the move has gotten us? We needed a new narrative, now we have one.

7) Are you unhappy that our athletes and coaches won't be getting home in the wee hours of the morning due to our being a geographic outlier in the American? Because that seems like a good thing to me. No more getting home at 3:00 AM with a class in six hours.

Last edited:

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score

I'm also an alum, and a fan. I've been to more football games than most. I thoroughly enjoy being a fan of both teams in just about equal measure.

The AAC was an anchor on the basketball program. That being said, i was extremely skeptical of our ability to draw up a decent schedule and TV contract for football as an independent, though, so i get why this isn't the biggest slam dunk of all time.

ADDave has massively outkicked coverage on this - it's a shame that the majority of the hardest scheduling work he'll need to do will likely be for naught, but it was impressive what he was able to pull off. It bodes well for the future, too, as timing constraints will lessen with time. This year's football schedule told me that this indy thing might just work, and the basketball is a notable step up - it's not even close, and NCAA seeding will prove this out.

Hell, if you're that pessimistic, the "old" big east stopped being all that impressive for about 10 years, and we wiped the floor with it. Were you decrying the inability of schools (mostly the catholic 7) back then?

Reaction Score

Reality?
Stop pretending it's 1990. that was 30 years ago.

Reaction Score
So, just be clear...
1) Are you unhappy to have more games against regional opponents, like Villanova, St. John's, PC and Seton Hall? (Blah, blah Marquette, Creighton... blah blah, yes I know but that doesn't change that BE is way more regional for us than the American.

Nova is the only nationally relevant team in the conference. Do you really care about Seton Hall or PC? Nova versus UConn will be the big national game of the year. We're a national program not a regional one. Our biggest games (except Nova) will be intersectional.

2) Are you unhappy to be playing in a league that is more attractive to top recruits? We've already heard guys saying that being in the BE was a factor for them.

We had a top five recruiting class in the AAC. Did we ever have one as high with the HUGE BE recruiting advantage? Our problem wasn't the league, it was we sucked. That was the real issue.

3) Are you unhappy in actually playing in our natural recruiting area? New England, NY, NJ, Philly and DC is our targeted recruiting area. Is it possible that you don't see a benefit to playing games in the area that we actually draw recruits from?

I would much rather play in the less geographically friendly ACC or B10 or even the B12. It's not that important.

4) Are you unhappy about playing more games in MSG? Because I actually enjoy seeing games there quite a bit. The BET at MSG is an outstanding experience. It is tough to imagine any MBB fan not being excited about it.

We have been playing all along at MSG. The conference tourney at MSG is nice but I really didn't miss it.

5) Are you unhappy about having drivable road games? Living in the NYC metropolitan area it is pretty attractive to me.

I get that. It helps basketball road games. Sure.

6) Are you unhappy about all the positive national press the move has gotten us? We needed a new narrative, now we have one.

We needed a new narrative because we sucked. Hurley would have gotten us out of that hole with or without the BE. He improved recruiting before the move. Winning would have improved the narrativ
e.

7) Are you unhappy that our athletes and coaches won't be getting home in the wee hours of the morning due to our being a geographic outlier in the American? Because that seems like a good thing to me. No more getting home at 3:00 AM with a class in six hours.

You're close to the real reason for the move. Travel costs. Which wouldn't have mattered if we were winning. IMHO, we let down the AAC much more than they let us down. If we had played to our potential, it would have lifted the profile of the AAC. Instead we were a mediocre nothing in the league. We did nothing for them. They provided tough competition. Hell they even they fielded BCS Bowl teams. Returning to the BE is a sign of failure. That's the sad fact. Besides, getting home late is a reality of college sports. If the team got home late after a win, it's they would have plenty of energy. They we coming home late bad loss after bad loss. That was the problem.

Look. We're in the BE. That's the fact. It ain't changing. But reading the joyous posts like this was some kind of victory dance is makes me shake my head. It's celebrating failure. I rooted for UConn in the Yankee Conference. I hope to get a chance to root for them this year. But we're in the Big East because the university screwed up conference realignment completely. Hurrah.

Reaction Score
You're close to the real reason for the move. Travel costs. Which wouldn't have mattered if we were winning. IMHO, we let down the AAC much more than they let us down. If we had played to our potential, it would have lifted the profile of the AAC. Instead we were a mediocre nothing in the league. We did nothing for them. They provided tough competition. Hell they even they fielded BCS Bowl teams. Returning to the BE is a sign of failure. That's the sad fact. Besides, getting home late is a reality of college sports. If the team got home late after a win, it's they would have plenty of energy. They we coming home late bad loss after bad loss. That was the problem.

Look. We're in the BE. That's the fact. It ain't changing. But reading the joyous posts like this was some kind of victory dance is makes me shake my head. It's celebrating failure. I rooted for UConn in the Yankee Conference. I hope to get a chance to root for them this year. But we're in the Big East because the university screwed up conference realignment completely. Hurrah.
And yet UConn won more NCAA tournament games than the rest of the entire league. They're now in a way better basketball league which commands way more interest and respect, is way more appealing to recruits, and it's better for football as well. You're so far out of your element, stick to Spock and Capatain Kirk.

Reaction Score
And yet UConn won more NCAA tournament games than the rest of the entire league. They're now in a way better basketball league which commands way more interest and respect, is way more appealing to recruits, and it's better for football as well. You're so far out of your element, stick to Spock and Capatain Kirk.
Both Jewish!

CL82

Reaction Score

So your answers to those questions are...

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
So your answers to those questions are...

Exactly. What pal doesn't get, or refuses to admit, is that there isn't a better solution at present. The BE move is a net positive financially and prestige-wise, even if it's not as great as it was before. We also avoid the forthcoming downfalls of the AAC TV contract (which will be awesome to watch from outside).

For football, assuming we can keep our scheduling momentum, it's a net positive, too - we get linear national TV for most of our games, a better potential opponent set, and have flexibility in scheduling. A bowl tie-in would be the most notable subtraction, but the AAC's bowl allotment isn't exactly fantastic. I would rather align geographically here, and get the reputation of being an eager fanbase.

Reaction Score
The move to the Big East further solidified UConn as a basketball school. In a basketball league.

As far as being Independent in football? That is up to to the future prowess of the Huskies.

The independent scale runs from Notre Dame and BYU to UMass (leaving out Army because of uniqueness).

The very best that could happen for UConn is that they approach the football brand level of BYU....

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom