This team still has no PG... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

This team still has no PG...

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I'm not aiming criticism at his play, I'm aiming criticism at his ability to run the team as A PG! Right off the bat I preface my statement that he had a great game and was clutch. Gibbs is a shooting guard, NOT a PG. All of his points came in the manner of a SG.

He's the starting PG on a top 25 team, played the most amount of minutes on the team, and has 1 assist....common
he fed the post about a dozen times and the bigs couldn't finish... it's kind of hard to get an assist when they dont finish, or when the ball stops moving... he's a point guard on a new team with new schemes who are just getting their chemistry together, hopefully

Reaction Score
Gibbs is like Rashad Anderson for this team but because JA is young he has to take point duties as well. KO has to try and get JA into the point slot more while winning games. DHam has gotten used to bringing the ball up court as well so it's going to be tough getting things straightened out.

Reaction Score
I said the same thing a few games ago and got destroyed. If you watch the games with a knowledge of basketball, you can simultaneously think (a) Gibbs is a valuable guard for this team and (b) he hasn't been a good PG for our offense this season, mostly.

His best attribute is as a knock down shooter. Adams, for our offense, has the better traits, but isn't yet ready it seems to take the reins entirely.

But I really don't get why people can't differentiate between his PG play and his stat line/clutch 3s.

Everyone "gets" it. But no one has done anything to differentiate themselves as the lead PG now have they. Simply put for the rational posters, we don't have a great PG at his point and what Sterling has done is as good as we have for now. When Jalen turns the corner we will all obviously be better for it, especially Mr Gibbs who is a much better shooter with his feet set and his body square rather than dribbling into a shot. This is not rocket science boys, it's just facts for now. My point to all of this is last night was not the game to pick on Sterling at all. And to worry about his assist stats vs Taliek's is rather ridiculous. One you would rather shoot than pass the other you would rather never shoot unless it's a lay up. And this lends itself to the understanding of where we are, we have a 2G as our best PG option for now. Let's all hope it changes in a month or so with some confidence by our freshman.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Shabazz Napier's of the world are rare. He was a true PG, even moving Kemba (our best ever) off the point. Just saying true point guards are hard to find. Jalen and Gibbs appear to be combo guards. Ollie will convert Adams to a 'true' PG in time.

But why does he play Adams at the 2 so often when Adams is playing? Personally I wish Ollie would commit Jalen to the PG position at all times when he's on the floor.
Maybe because the future of the PG will be in A. Gilbert's hands and JA will be the 2. Just a thought.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
The problem is that by trying to establish Gibbs as a conventional UConn point guard,
Ollie inadvertently diminished Gibbs' contributions to the team. Once Gibbs returns to a role in which he is more comfortable, we may see that 2nd team all Big East player of last year. Going forward it may be point guard by committee where everyone especially DHam and Adams have to due much of the work. Everyone agrees that Gibbs is functioning better running his man through the lane and popping out for a jumper than he is at beating his man off the dribble and then trying to finish at the rim.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Going forward it may be point guard by committee where everyone especially DHam and Adams have to due much of the work.
This is no great mystery. It's been that way for several games now.

Reaction Score
he fed the post about a dozen times and the bigs couldn't finish... it's kind of hard to get an assist when they dont finish, or when the ball stops moving... he's a point guard on a new team with new schemes who are just getting their chemistry together, hopefully

He wasn't getting assists b/c he wasn't getting players off balance and putting our bigs in situations where the baskets come easy. All of his passes down low were standard entry passes getting the bigs in 1v1 post ups. ANYONE can do that. Nolan could do that. Not seeing anything coming from Gibbs pick and roll game, and its taking him way too long to bring the ball up the court and run some plays. We're half way through the season, and to someone else's point I know he is a brand new husky, but he better figure it out fast and take the lead on this or were going to have to start Jalen sooner than later so he has some confidence at the point moving into March.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
My biggest knock on Gibbs running point is more of a pet peeve: I can't stand the one-handed passes. They look lazy and drive me crazy.

But I've had pet peeves about other point guards who turned out to be serviceable (Taliek) to great (Shabazz). I can get over it if he shoots like he did last night.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
He wasn't getting assists b/c he wasn't getting players off balance and putting our bigs in situations where the baskets come easy. All of his passes down low were standard entry passes getting the bigs in 1v1 post ups. ANYONE can do that. Nolan could do that. Not seeing anything coming from Gibbs pick and roll game, and its taking him way too long to bring the ball up the court and run some plays. We're half way through the season, and to someone else's point I know he is a brand new husky, but he better figure it out fast and take the lead on this or were going to have to start Jalen sooner than later so he has some confidence at the point moving into March.
The only person making cuts or moving hard without the ball is Adams, maybe purvis occasionally. How can Gibbs get assists when no one is moving? If miller finished those chances you wouldn't be complaining about Gibbs' assists. Has anyone else been watching adams play? There is no way he starts over Gibbs. None. Gibbs has his best complete game of the year by far, starts hitting his 3s and people still call for him to be benched by a freshman who as of now just handles the ball and hasn't been finishing or staying in front of his man on defense. People need to stop hating on Gibbs because his moves look lazy or methodical compared to adams

Reaction Score
My biggest knock on Gibbs running point is more of a pet peeve: I can't stand the one-handed passes. They look lazy and drive me crazy.

But I've had pet peeves about other point guards who turned out to be serviceable (Taliek) to great (Shabazz). I can get over it if he shoots like he did last night.

What irks me is that if he, (and Purvis), don't shoot they way they did last night in future games (which is very likely), then where do we stand? It's so crucial that we have a natural PG on this team who can create for our bigs when shots aren't falling, especially on a Uconn team where our bigs need those setup passes b/c the majority of them can't create shots for themselves on the block (minus Miller).

We shot very well last night and only won the game by 3 points! It's very scary and hard to watch when our shots aren't falling. That's when true PG play has to come into play, which were strongly lacking and will lose us games moving forward.

Reaction Score
The only person making cuts or moving hard without the ball is Adams, maybe purvis occasionally. How can Gibbs get assists when no one is moving? If miller finished those chances you wouldn't be complaining about Gibbs' assists. Has anyone else been watching adams play? There is no way he starts over Gibbs. None. Gibbs has his best complete game of the year by far, starts hitting his 3s and people still call for him to be benched by a freshman who as of now just handles the ball and hasn't been finishing or staying in front of his man on defense. People need to stop hating on Gibbs because his moves look lazy or methodical compared to adams

Read further up on this thread, particularly Mr. French's comments which were spot on. I am not criticizing Gibbs' stat line, clutch shots, or play in general. I am criticizing him as a PG! Running the offense efficiently, and getting others involved. I find myself repeating my points to people like you who are taking what I am saying out of context. I am not in the slightest saying to bench the kid, and have yet to say that this entire thread. Play him alongside Jalen as a SG.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
People need to stop hating on Gibbs because his moves look lazy or methodical compared to adams
I hate the term "hating on," but this is definitely the essence of it for me and I realize that. I've been a supporter though and just trying to figure out what the issue is because something clearly was not clicking.

Reaction Score
Read further up on this thread, particularly Mr. French's comments which were spot on. I am not criticizing Gibbs' stat line, clutch shots, or play in general. I am criticizing him as a PG! Running the offense efficiently, and getting others involved. I find myself repeating my points to people like you who are taking what I am saying out of context. I am not in the slightest saying to bench the kid, and have yet to say that this entire thread. Play him alongside Jalen as a SG.

No one said he's a great PG read along please. But have you seen Jalen playing, he's not ready. Everyone agrees we need JA to be better but he's not yet. Leave it alone, the guy had a great game, he's a 2 we know that but he was fine as the "PG" last night.:eek:

Curiouser
Reaction Score
No one said he's a great PG read along please. But have you seen Jalen playing, he's not ready. Everyone agrees we need JA to be better but he's not yet. Leave it alone, the guy had a great game, he's a 2 we know that but he was fine as the "PG" last night.:eek:
They even noted during the broadcast last night that Ollie had commented earlier yesterday that he had hoped Jalen would be further along than he is right now in terms of his development.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
he can only do as much as the team allows him when it comes to running the offense and getting assists... you rarely see a "true" pg anymore... they're scoring guards... i agree, i have been saying that he would be good coming off of screens to shoot or get to the rim, but as for him being benched for adams, no

Reaction Score
I thought the ball movement was fine when we had the 3 guards I there together. Hopefully dham learns to become unselfish again and we will be fine with our playmaking.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
What irks me is that if he, (and Purvis), don't shoot they way they did last night in future games (which is very likely), then where do we stand?
We shot very well last night and only won the game by 3 points! It's very scary and hard to watch when our shots aren't falling. That's when true PG play has to come into play, which were strongly lacking and will lose us games moving forward.

Well, hopefully in the future Hamilton won't suck. That would be a game changer.

So, if I get your point, Gibbs is not a real P.G. and we should pick one up on the free agent market?

Or , is it just an observation for future reference that was poorly timed after Gibbs' best game?

Reaction Score
Terrance Samuel.

So ... You start a thread & then argue for 2 pages on what is a pretty obvious conclusion.

We recruited Samuel. He gave us great moments. But, it's obvious to anyone Connecticut or connected ... He's not going to be THE UConn PG. And we've has wonderful lead guards. With variety. So, we have Jalen Adams coming in. Unlike Melo Trimble, we have a staff that saw & chose that Adams wasn't the solution. Immediately on campus. Adams will be developed. Gilbert too. Our staff made the conscious definitive decision to get Gibbs. Best available. And he has proven his veteran bonafides. But ... I don't think Gibbs (or either of his brothers) are the prototype UConn lead we have seen. Actually Boatwright wasn't either. Gibbs is our stopgap. And you plan accordingly.

The real issue? We need Hamilton & Adams to step up & be better. Gibbs has shown his predictable standard. We can WIN with structure when Brimah comes back.

But, our future of Adams & Gilbert feels good from where I sit. And as I've posted before, both Miller & Gibbs needed time to integrate into Team. We just have to get better.

Reaction Score

This is a wild overreaction.

Reaction Score
Well, hopefully in the future Hamilton won't suck. That would be a game changer.

So, if I get your point, Gibbs is not a real P.G. and we should pick one up on the free agent market?

Or , is it just an observation for future reference that was poorly timed after Gibbs' best game?

Read the full thread and then I'll respond

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer