This team still has no PG... | The Boneyard

This team still has no PG...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Now I understand Gibbs had a great game, big time 3s and clutch free throws. But our half court offense, particularly in the first half was real hard to watch.

I was specifically keeping track of how long it took Gibbs to get it up the court off the inbound and how long it took for him to get it out of his hands. Waaaay to slow. The ball movement wasn't really starting until 15 seconds into the shot clock. How many times were we inside 5 seconds on the shot clock throwing up shots. It was only around the end of the first half when I think Ollie scream at Gibbs to run it up the court when he started doing so.

If Jalen keeps committing silly fouls and Gibbs continues his sluggish starts of possessions our offense will be in trouble moving forward.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Now I understand Gibbs had a great game, big time 3s and clutch free throws. But our half court offense, particularly in the first half was real hard to watch.

I was specifically keeping track of how long it took Gibbs to get it up the court off the inbound and how long it took for him to get it out of his hands. Waaaay to slow. The ball movement wasn't really starting until 15 seconds into the shot clock. How many times were we inside 5 seconds on the shot clock throwing up shots. It was only around the end of the first half when I think Ollie scream at Gibbs to run it up the court when he started doing so.

If Jalen keeps committing silly fouls and Gibbs continues his sluggish starts of possessions our offense will be in trouble moving forward.
i hope you forgot to add /s at the end of this post... i dont even know why I responded to this bait

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Ollie has to make the biggest adjustment this year of his career. For his first three seasons,
when the ball went up he either had the best point guard in the country or one of the best. Now, he has none. He has no one who can stop and pop, drive and dish, or drive dish or finish. Dham needs Brimah.

Reaction Score
Wasn't the ball movement a lot better tonight? Last time I looked Magic Johnson wasn't on our roster. I think that Adams, DHam, and the team teed Gibbs up quite well. I think they are starting to understand that the guy can make a 3 when they get him open.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Adams will be the point guard of the team by March. Ollie is trying to figure out how to manage Adams, Gibbs and Purvis.

Adams is the true point guard of the bunch.

Gibbs is a better point guard when he's playing off the ball than he is when he is playing point guard.

Purvis is an adventure when he tries to create for others.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Gibbs and Adams combined had 1 turnover tonight over a span of 54 minutes of playing time.
Hard to turn the ball over when your passing back and forth on the perimeter.
Wasn't the ball movement a lot better tonight? Last time I looked Magic Johnson wasn't on our roster. I think that Adams, DHam, and the team teed Gibbs up quite well. I think they are starting to understand that the guy can make a 3 when they get him open.

Ollie had Gibbs pass off and then run the floor hoping Gibbs would get free for an open look. Far different than having Gibbs trying to penetrate and dish out. Ollie was taking the ball out of Gibb's hand on almost every set.

Reaction Score
Gibbs and Adams combined had 1 turnover tonight over a span of 54 minutes of playing time.
To play devil's advocate they also combined for 1 assist in those 54 minute.

Reaction Score
Ollie has to make the biggest adjustment this year of his career. For his first three seasons,
when the ball went up he either had the best point guard in the country or one of the best. Now, he has none. He has no one who can stop and pop, drive and dish, or drive dish or finish. Dham needs Brimah.

Doubling down on a stupid post just makes you look stupid...don't do it. There are teams that would kill to have Adams or Gibbs as their PG.

Reaction Score
This team is averaging about .7 points per possession on the pick n roll. Meaning we are one of the worst offensive PnR teams in the country. Gibbs is many things(good shooter, poised kid) but he is not a PG in the sense that he can get where he wants and be creative with the ball. If he's not hitting 3's or FTs, he isn't doing a ton of good stuff on offense. He can't finish or dish around the tin.

He knows this, so unless the clock is running down, he's going to reject the ball screen and rotate the ball.

Not a knock, its who he is. We all have to learn to accept that, and Ollie has to learn how to incorporate that into the plan.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Doubling down on a stupid post just makes you look stupid...don't do it. There are teams that would kill to have Adams or Gibbs as their PG.
Well, name the teams who are contesting for a title this year who have worse point guards than Gibbs and Adams.
In fact Adams and Gibbs would not be out Earl Kelly, Chris Smith, Kevin Ollie, Taliek Brown, Williams,
Bazz, Boat, Tate, Deron, Kemba. We have to go back to Hobbs and Whelton, maybe.
Adams has talent but he is not close to where he needs to be.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Wow not sure about this thread after tonight. Just mind boggling to even concern yourself with a negative post about a guy who just got 26 or whatever and won the game? :confused:

I'm not aiming criticism at his play, I'm aiming criticism at his ability to run the team as A PG! Right off the bat I preface my statement that he had a great game and was clutch. Gibbs is a shooting guard, NOT a PG. All of his points came in the manner of a SG.

He's the starting PG on a top 25 team, played the most amount of minutes on the team, and has 1 assist....common

Reaction Score
I'm not aiming criticism at his play, I'm aiming criticism at his ability to run the team as A PG! Right off the bat I preface my statement that he had a great game and was clutch. Gibbs is a shooting guard, NOT a PG. All of his points came in the manner of a SG.

He's the starting PG on a top 25 team, played the most amount of minutes on the team, and has 1 assist....common

Did you happen to see a better one tonight? Just curious.

Reaction Score
Shabazz Napier's of the world are rare. He was a true PG, even moving Kemba (our best ever) off the point. Just saying true point guards are hard to find. Jalen and Gibbs appear to be combo guards. Ollie will convert Adams to a 'true' PG in time.

But why does he play Adams at the 2 so often when Adams is playing? Personally I wish Ollie would commit Jalen to the PG position at all times when he's on the floor.

Reaction Score
Shabazz Napier's of the world are rare. He was a true PG, even moving Kemba (our best ever) off the point. Just saying true point guards are hard to find. Jalen and Gibbs appear to be combo guards. Ollie will convert Adams to a 'true' PG in time.

But why does he play Adams at the 2 so often when Adams is playing? Personally I wish Ollie would commit Jalen to the PG position at all times when he's on the floor.

Agreed.

It'll be interesting next year. I think Jalen will play the role of a 2 guard a bit more next year with Alterique coming in.

This year keep the guy at the point! We need it badly.

Reaction Score
Agreed.

It'll be interesting next year. I think Jalen will play the role of a 2 guard a bit more next year with Alterique coming in.

This year keep the guy at the point! We need it badly.
Jalen has a leadership quality about him making him ideal for running the team. I don't know about AG, but Jalen has 'it'.

Reaction Score
If you're referring to a better PG that's obviously the whole point of this thread...there isn't one, yet.

I'm still waiting for more Jalen at the point and Gibbs on the wing at the same time

The reason Adams is playing the 2 is that UConn is developing him as a 2. Gilbert will be the PG going forward with Adams the 2 guard (next year). As far as complaining about Gibbs...there were a lot of people here in 2004 complaining about how Taliek Brown sucked...that worked out for us pretty well. You don't NEED a star PG to win championships, although it helps. We didn't have an All American PG in 1999 or 2004 and those teams did just fine. One of the reasons he only had 1 assist tonight was 2 of his main targets were a combined 4-18.

Reaction Score
As far as complaining about Gibbs...there were a lot of people here in 2004 complaining about how Taliek Brown sucked...that worked out for us pretty well. You don't NEED a star PG to win championships, although it helps. We didn't have an All American PG in 1999 or 2004 and those teams did just fine. One of the reasons he only had 1 assist tonight was 2 of his main targets were a combined 4-18.

I'll agree that Ricky and Taliek weren't the best on their teams, and I'm not expecting Gibbs to be a Kemba/Shabazz...But Ricky and Taliek were more naturally PGs than Gibbs is. How often do you find Gibbs dishing crafty assists the way Taliek did, & Jalen does now? Gibbs is averaging less than HALF of the amount of assists Taliek was averaging his senior year, at just shy of 3.

...still say he's a true SG.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score

I said the same thing a few games ago and got destroyed. If you watch the games with a knowledge of basketball, you can simultaneously think (a) Gibbs is a valuable guard for this team and (b) he hasn't been a good PG for our offense this season, mostly.

His best attribute is as a knock down shooter. Adams, for our offense, has the better traits, but isn't yet ready it seems to take the reins entirely.

But I really don't get why people can't differentiate between his PG play and his stat line/clutch 3s.

Reaction Score
I said the same thing a few games ago and got destroyed. If you watch the games with a knowledge of basketball, you can simultaneously think (a) Gibbs is a valuable guard for this team and (b) he hasn't been a good PG for our offense this season, mostly.

His best attribute is as a knock down shooter. Adams, for our offense, has the better traits, but isn't yet ready it seems to take the reins entirely.

But I really don't get why people can't differentiate between his PG play and his stat line/clutch 3s.

YES

Thank God there is a rational person on this thread with common sense

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I do get the PG vs G point. But it is not like we have a better option at this point. Adams is getting minutes so he can learn. Gibbs is improving but he won't ever be the assist guy we'd like. We work around it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom