This team has gotten worse | Page 3 | The Boneyard

This team has gotten worse

Reaction Score
You're clueless.
So, explain this to me. We have great athletes who could play fast? Cuz, let's be clear, I'm not saying our offense is great but we can't shoot and can't finish.

Or do you think our upperclassmen are good players? Because all but Martin and Cole are actively not particularly good.

The most athletic and talented players on this team are either injured, freshmen, or, in the case of Gaffney, still figuring himself out.

Hurley, and UConn, will be fine. When the other team has the two best players on the court, you're not going to win much despite coaching.

Reaction Score
Here is Providence's lineup:

Good shooting guard Duke playing out of position at PG.
#327 recruit freshman SG Breed shooting 32% from 3 playing 30 minutes a game.
AJ Reeves, basically Tyler Polley (can't do anything but shoot) but only shooting 32% from 3.
North Florida transfer Noah Horchler who lost starting job 1/3 of the way through the year and shooting 39% from 2.
Nate Watson, good center.

The bench:
Greg Gantt with 83 ORTG in conference games.
Syracuse reject Brycen Goodine who has scored 9 total points since December 5th
Kris Monroe hadn't scored since Christmas until he hit a 3 tonight.
Ed Crosswell averaging 1 point per game in the New Year.

Reaction Score
Why does UConn never ATTACK the press???
Because our guards have no handle to break the press. Give me Walker, Napier, Boat, and I’ll show you guards who could break the press and punish you for overplaying them.

Reaction Score
Man, if this is the Boneyard after a loss in the Big East, I can’t imagine what it’d look like after a loss in the AAC.
Unfortunately we have lots of evidence of that. Although I find people to be far more insufferable this year than when we were in the AAC. Exhibit A, rcarj right below you

Reaction Score
They lost to SH by 17
They split w Marquette
They split w Creighton
They lost to St John's by 11
They lost to three other opponents we haven't played (Gtown, Nova, Xavier)

OOC they got smoked by Indiana and Alabama. Their best OOC win is TCU.

Wow, that sounds like a powerhouse to me......
Alabama is very good. Indiana not so much. Oh well.

Are we going to beat those three teams without Bouknight? How much were we down to Seton Hall.

They basically look like a team that—if we had Bouk—we'd beat in a tough game, but beat 7 or 8 times out of 10. Without him, we're going to lose to them 8 out of every 10 times.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately we have lots of evidence of that. Although I find people to be far more insufferable this year than when we were in the AAC. Exhibit A, rcarj right below you
Issa bad team. ??‍♂️

Reaction Score
Right now we're bad. But I'm far more optimistic about this team once Bouk comes back (and he will)
If he comes back, it’s only because of bad pr. Team has other problems, not feeding the guys who can score, poor defense of 3’s, lack of offensive cohesiveness, inability to beat guys off dribble, bad ft shooting, poor finishing, etc...

Reaction Score
If he comes back, it’s only because of bad pr. Team has other problems, not feeding the guys who can score, poor defense of 3’s, lack of offensive cohesiveness, inability to beat guys off dribble, bad ft shooting, poor finishing, etc...
Very close to an Ollie season.

Reaction Score
So, explain this to me. We have great athletes who could play fast? Cuz, let's be clear, I'm not saying our offense is great but we can't shoot and can't finish.

Or do you think our upperclassmen are good players? Because all but Martin and Cole are actively not particularly good.

The most athletic and talented players on this team are either injured, freshmen, or, in the case of Gaffney, still figuring himself out.

Hurley, and UConn, will be fine. When the other team has the two best players on the court, you're not going to win much despite coaching.
Our players are more talented and more athletic than PC's players and we're deeper. Hurley was badly outcoached today.

Reaction Score
Our players are more talented and more athletic than PC's players and we're deeper. Hurley was badly outcoached today.
Which of our players is better than David Duke? Which of them are better than Watson?

I'd listen to Jackson and Sanogo. But they're freshmen and clearly not as good as them right now.

Duke and Watson are upperclassmen. Look, when your upperclassmen are as bad ours are, you aren't going to beat many good teams.

Reaction Score
Alabama is very good. Indiana not so much. Oh well.

Are we going to beat those three teams without Bouknight? How much were we down to Seton Hall.

They basically look like a team that—if we had Bouk—we'd beat in a tough game, but beat 7 or 8 times out of 10. Without him, we're going to lose to them 8 out of every 10 times.
That’s just not accurate at all. But I’m not gonna argue w you anymore. We have way more talent than PC that was on the floor TODAY.

Reaction Score
That’s just not accurate at all. But I’m not gonna argue w you anymore. We have way more talent than PC that was on the floor TODAY.
They had—objectively—the two best players on the floor. They've played more games. They've had more practices. They're best players are upperclassmen with Big East experience while our upperclassmen are A10 level talents and our best players are injured, were recently injured, and all are underclassmen. Give us a healthy Bouk and we still win.

In two years we're rolling out teams that house a team that looks like this PC team. I just don't understand why people can't objectively look at the what we've got.

Reaction Score
I dunno Hurley has been mixed in my casual fan opinion. Great reset of the culture, brought in top recruits and coaching during the pandemic is challenging but the injuries are piling up, the in game coaching has been so-so—I see him staring at that little piece of paper almost every time they cut over. What happened with Hunter leaving? And Brown? Guess only time will tell...

Hurleys seat is gonna be getting very hot soon if he goes 0/3 on making the tournament. This is UConn, not some bush league A10 team.

Reaction Score

UConn broke the press and then sat and waited for the defense to set up. I don’t think even once did they try and attack the basket once they broke the press. I consider that a tactical error/coaching error. It’s not necessarily fast but it’s an attacking approach. I think our offense is much too passive for a team without offensive firepower.

Reaction Score
They had—objectively—the two best players on the floor. They've played more games. They've had more practices. They're best players are upperclassmen with Big East experience while our upperclassmen are A10 level talents and our best players are injured, were recently injured, and all are underclassmen. Give us a healthy Bouk and we still win.

In two years we're rolling out teams that house a team that looks like this PC team. I just don't understand why people can't objectively look at the what we've got.
I don’t think you understand the meaning of the word objectively

Reaction Score
Plenty of talent. Really bad preparation, no consistency, no D and no execution I fear DH has got a DH problem more than a lack of BK problem.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
Let's focus on some things that can change for the better. On the offensive end AJax consistently ran to the corner to start our offensive sets. He is not a 3 pt threat so teams will gladly allow a pass to him there. DH needs to get him the ball at the top of the key early in the sets. He is clearly the best, most instinctive passer on the team. He had a sublime pass to IW that was not handled. He had at least two nice passes to Tyler Phommachanh that allowed Tyler Phommachanh to set his feet before shooting. AJax is going to make mistakes but he is also going to create offense. Tyler Phommachanh has to learn that the 3pt line pump fake, then one dribble inside the 3pt line and take a shot is the worst shot in all of basketball. DH runs the back screen to AJax for a dunk and we never see the play again. There are so many effective counters off of that set. No more doubling down in the post off of a same side shooter. We got burned for 3's a few times doing that. Lastly, I will make the case for Josh to get 12 minutes or so a game. Today he played 6 minutes and was 2-2 for 4 points with one rebound. Against SH he had 2 rebounds in 5 minutes while IW and AS had 4 in 52 minutes. I would pair him with AJax who is an excellent(and willing) post passer. He had 6 boards in 10 minutes against Butler. Our last victory btw.

Reaction Score
The idea you're okay with us scoring 59 points and think we aren't capable of beating Providence is a joke. They just gave up 92 points to St. John's their last game. They just ran a really weak press against us since the opening tip and Hurley never got them to adjust to it and attack it. Polley and Carlton are weak no doubt, Whaley is a good player. The rest of the team is all Hurley's recruits, if he can't be expected to win against Big East teams just because his star player is out we have major problems.

The BIg East is a very good conference but this is a weak year for the conference and Providence isn't good.
Because when we get thumped by a terrible team we're supposed to adjust our expectations downwards and our excuses upwards. Coach Cooley had his guys ready and Coach Hurley didn't. Along with our anemic shooting that hasn't been resolved that's the entire story. Not prepared and can't shoot. If I'm the Coach I'm making adjustments in preparation and gameplan. Shuffling the lineup has already been exhausted when everybody is just repeating the same plan and coming up empty. And I'm tired of the sideshow where my Coach seems more focused on extraneous calls than our lack of execution. We adjust too little, too late. Without a coach on the floor, a go to guy we look lost.

Reaction Score
Here's how I rank the players from the two teams over the course of the season.

Watson
Duke
Martin
Whaley
Sanogo
Cole
Gaffney
Jackson

Horchler
Polley
Reeves
Adams
Carlton

Breed <--- This guy started and played 33 minutes for Providence tonight
Gantt
Crosswell
Goodine
Monroe

Bynum and Nichols would go somewhere in the cluster of our guys. But this version of the Providence team we played tonight is really bad. Duke (outside of a couple minute stretch) wasn't even very good. They are mediocre AAC team bad. Tulsa level. This is not "You guys are complaining about losing to a good Big East team" reaction. This is we're in year 3 of Hurley with tournament aspirations and we lost to Tulsa.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don’t think you understand the meaning of the word objectively
Honestly, which non-Bouknight player on our team is consistently better than Duke or Watson?

Martin? Cole? Seriously man, are you high?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom