This team cannot win without Carlton. Period. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

This team cannot win without Carlton. Period.

Reaction Score
Carlton is a limited player who brings some good things to the table. He’s a solid college center who I think he gets way too much criticism from this board.

But it really all comes down to Bouknight’s and Akok’s development. It probably won’t make a huge difference this season, but they have a chance to be a good team next year with those two leading the way. It’s time for Hurley to start building toward that.
Ater is back?

Reaction Score
If opponents are too physical for us with Carlton in there. What chance do we have without him?

Hurley has to commit to Carlton and push him to get better.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Hurley got the credit for Josh winning MIP player in the league last year.

Guess he has nothing to do with what we are watching this year.
Hurley gets indirect credit for Carlton...for hiring Kenya Hunter, who has unfortunately missed a good chunk of this season.

Reaction Score
Maybe we should sit him closer to the blocks specifically to set picks and get put backs?

not sure having him 25 ft out setting picks plays to his strengths.

lowering his expectations and making him a garbage man/hustle guy may be best. The only thing he would have to worry about is his hustle.

Reaction Score
Another poster said this after the Cinci loss; Carlton looks like he’s taken 50 sleeping pills before the game. It’s true. He has zero exuberance. He is the antithesis of Akok who openly celebrates everything positively and excites his teammates. Josh’s utter lack of any emotion, jumping, dunking, love for the game, etc should be why he comes off the bench. AG, CV and all others show heart even if they have problems of their own.

Reaction Score
Another poster said this after the Cinci loss; Carlton looks like he’s taken 50 sleeping pills before the game. It’s true. He has zero exuberance. He is the antithesis of Akok who openly celebrates everything positively and excites his teammates. Josh’s utter lack of any emotion, jumping, dunking, love for the game, etc should be why he comes off the bench. AG, CV and all others show heart even if they have problems of their own.
My wife has been saying he looks like he’s asleep.

Reaction Score
Everyone remembers the way he came on last year right? What was that and why so different now? Seriously.

Reaction Score
We can’t win with him or without him....PERIOD. Hopefully DH message to Carlton somewhat got to him today and he can give us something.

Reaction Score
So Sid has been in the dog house .. but honestly, other than the three ball, what do we gain by exiling Sid and giving Polley so many minutes? Sid is active on the boards on both ends and attacks with aggression. The way he played today doesn't look like someone that should have been relegated to not even taking off his warm-ups the last few games.

And I was far more impressed with Whaley than JC today. I don't dislike JC, but he just seems two steps behind the rest of the game.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score

I was right about something. Mark your calendars folks.

SwingDog

"THIS is the life you have"
Reaction Score
I think uconnbill is right; he needs a fire under his butt!

As far as I'm concerned, in order for this team to be successful we need Josh to be all he is capable of being in terms of a sizable defensive presence in the paint, a formidable rebounder, a scorer- and a good passer. When he is "on" other things start clicking for the team. The whole team needs to get some fire and intensity, with Josh being one of its leaders. He needs to own his clearly defined role on this team for this to be a season of progress and moving forward for the program. There is literally no one else capable of filling his shoes at this present time. Josh is not the most agile center around but he does have talent; he just needs to play smart and inspired basketball.

I think Coach Hurley benching Josh against USF for most of the game was his way of trying to light a fire under his butt. We'll what happens on Wednesday against Tulane.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If opponents are too physical for us with Carlton in there. What chance do we have without him?

Hurley has to commit to Carlton and push him to get better.
He's really bad, there isn't much to commit to. He's physically weak, he turns it over, he can't jump, and he flips the ball up at the backboard hoping it goes in. We're stuck, he's not a starting center at this level and Whaley would be a nice player for Niagara. We have no point and no center, our two true talents are freshmen. It's not a good situation.

Reaction Score
Husky, we didn’t get Kofi. Can only dance with the one you brought
wow gee. thank you so much for your analysis. i wonder how you came up with the fact that we never got Kofi.

Reaction Score
Whaley outplayed him by a mile. We lost bc of Akok getting two fouls, Hurley pocketing his timeouts, Hurley not making any adjustments, Hurley making subs 3-4 players at time, not playin your best and athletic players, etc. Akok cannot come out of the game unless he’s exhausted. We also need two ball handlers on the floor at all times and push Vital to the three when he plays. We don’t play the right lineups at all. Gaffney should play more as well as he can push the ball and is aggressive
Unfortunately we do not have reliable ball handlers or high IQ guards on our team. Until the light bulb turns on for our upperclassmen it’s going to be tough sledding.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
It all goes back to how limited we are recruiting with the KO investigation overhang. It’s hard to compete with the purity standard we are holding ourselves to.
I
Our next investigation will come out of your Bone Yard posts. You have expressed this enough

Reaction Score
Don't believe me. Watch the second half over and over. We needed a second center this past recruiting period. We didn't get one. Water over the dam. If we don't play Carlton, we are a donut. There is no other option.

Hurley decided to make a point today. To send Josh a message. Decided it was more important than winning. We'll find out if it was the right move. But once Carlton went out the game was -- it was OVER.

Josh has been crushed the past two games. He is playing scared. Frightened. Hurley has said that he isn't coaching well enough. That Carlton hasn't gotten the ball close enough to the basket. Today he got it closer and couldn't finish. His confidence has been destroyed. His focus was drek. He rushed. He was waiting for something bad to happen. He is waaaaaaaaaay outside of his comfort zone.

But take him out and we have no chance. None. Zero. Zip. Nada. Null set. That's the truth.
Can they win with Carlton? Have to ask that question as well.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom