This game will say a lot and I consider it a must win | The Boneyard

This game will say a lot and I consider it a must win

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This is the type of regular season top matchup that mature UConn National Title winning teams usually win. That was the goal coming into the season. Not just Final Four but National Title.

The thought process coming into the season was that only Baylor had our talent. I agree with that. Some ragged wins at home vs MD and PSU seems to have lowered some of the confidence. I think we should win tomorrow even with Stanford's home court streak. Even if Chiney has a great game more of our players should be able to match her and our supporting cast SHOULD be much stronger. If it's not, that's a disappointment.

If we lose tomorrow, it will tell me we still maybe another year away from a national title. With all due respect to Stanford, if you can't beat Stanford, your probably not going to beat Baylor this year.

Reaction Score
I'd call it a nice to have win...if the goal is the NC (it is)...then this game is to indoctrinate our freshman into big-time D1 basketball, and experiment with various ways to attack Stanford's personnel. If we just go for the win, we miss an opportunity to learn about ourselves and a likely Final Four opponent...

Reaction Score
I'd call it a nice to have win...if the goal is the NC (it is)...then this game is to indoctrinate our freshman into big-time D1 basketball, and experiment with various ways to attack Stanford's personnel. If we just go for the win, we miss an opportunity to learn about ourselves and a likely Final Four opponent...

I disagree based on historical evidence. You can usually spot a UConn National Title winning team coming based on how they respond in their top regular season battle. 1995 vs Tennessee in Gampel, 2000 vs Tennessee in 2 split regular season decision, 2002 vs everyone, 2003 vs Duke in Cameron and the come back against TN in Hartford in OT, 2009 vs everyone, and 2010 vs Stanford in Hartford. The lone outlier was in 2004 when the team was stunned from the Duke come back in Hartford and really never recovered until the NCAA tournament where they found another gear. But 4 of UConn's National titles were undefeated teams, the other 2 had only 1 loss each by 1 pt (on a Semeka Randall buzzer beater, a TN team we had just beaten in Knoxville the previous month) and a 4 pt loss to Villanova.

In the years they show some weakness in these games (2012 losing the close ones against ND and Baylor), 2011 vs Stanford, 2001 getting blow out vs ND) you can see that the team has some flaws in their make up that will ultimately likely deny them a championship. UConn usually doesn't need to lose to learn from their mistakes in order to get better. They are a very business like program. They are ready to go on November and want to win every game. When they don't it usually means there is a flaw in the team make up that will prevent them from reaching the title. That's why I think a win tomorrow will say a lot and a loss will also. There are not many people who thought Stanford would be as good or better than us so it's a game we should win.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
A December game against #1 Stanford on its home court is not a must win. It just isn't. It's more important that the team play well and handle the environment. But no game in December falls in the must win category, particularly when there are remaining games against Baylor, Duke and Notre Dame X2 (or 3).

Reaction Score
This is the type of regular season top matchup that mature UConn National Title winning teams usually win. That was the goal coming into the season. Not just Final Four but National Title.

The thought process coming into the season was that only Baylor had our talent. I agree with that. Some ragged wins at home vs MD and PSU seems to have lowered some of the confidence. I think we should win tomorrow even with Stanford's home court streak. Even if Chiney has a great game more of our players should be able to match her and our supporting cast SHOULD be much stronger. If it's not, that's a disappointment.

If we lose tomorrow, it will tell me we still maybe another year away from a national title. With all due respect to Stanford, if you can't beat Stanford, your probably not going to beat Baylor this year.

Really? A Must Win? A game in December is a MUST WIN? Funny I thought the games that really mattered were in March and April.

While I believe we will win, I do not see it is a Must Win.

I love how you said if we lose tomorrow, it will tell me we still maybe another year away. First of, go back and reread that statement. Secondly, who care what you think. Thirdly, opinions are like body parts. I am sure you can figure out which part.

And if we do not beat Stanford we will not beat Baylor? Wow.... what a leap. In March/April all we need is another team to beat Baylor for us. I love how you make it sound like tomorrow will determine the entire season.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
There's a middle ground to be had here. Yes, Uconn could absorb an L tomorrow and be in fine position come March. However, there is truth to the notion that UConn teams that win national championships have tended to look like champions in December and January as well. These games with Stanford and Notre Dame are huge, just huge. Although UConn was ultimately on no real danger against UMD or Penn State, those were not championship-caliber victories. Tomorrow, we see if this team is ready to be the front-runner, or of it's going to get exposed and take it on the chin. If the latter occurs, Geno will have to complete a different sort of coaching job to win an NC from any he's done before.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
There's a middle ground to be had here. Yes, Uconn could absorb an L tomorrow and be in fine position come March. However, there is truth to the notion that UConn teams that win national championships have tended to look like champions in December and January as well. These games with Stanford and Notre Dame are huge, just huge. Although UConn was ultimately on no real danger against UMD or Penn State, those were not championship-caliber victories. Tomorrow, we see if this team is ready to be the front-runner, or of it's going to get exposed and take it on the chin. If the latter occurs, Geno will have to complete a different sort of coaching job to win an NC from any he's done before.

I agree with everything you said except for what I bolded.

Not playing your best, having a rusty Hartley and missing Lewis for a full half, UConn found a way to win handily against two top 11 teams.

I can find games during any championship season where the team didn't play their best and still won handily.

Reaction Score

Agree with everything you said. I overstated it saying it was a must win because technically there are no must wins in late December. But if you look deeper a loss could signal some warning signs if again the ultimate goal is not just Final Four but a championship. While it's hard to really measure Stanford and Baylor because of Simms absence I just consider Baylor to be a different animal than everyone else because of the Griner and Simms combo. If we can go out there and beat Stanford and snap their home court streak it would tell me we are ready for them. It just seems to me we should be able to beat this Stanford team.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I hate losing and I dont think losses are good losses for this team. Baylor has Simms and Griner. We have KML Hartley Breanna Stewart BB Kelly and all can put up alot of points. They can all put up as many points as Chiney. Now we have to slow Chiney down and even if we dont I think we win because Stanford has to slow down everybody at UConn. It s simple. Stanford IMO cant keep UConn under 80 and Stanford cant score 80 againest UConn unless, there are injuries and or phantom calls and even then with our bench we can put up alot of points.

Alot of this may be hype and because its at Maples. We have to may scorers who can put up big numbers. They dont.

Reaction Score
... we still maybe another year away from a national title. .

The concept of inevitability regarding a title next year seems to have been assumed by many (not picking on ASweet here). I'm guessing it originates from a widely held perspective that the competition will be weaker next year (BG graduation) and/or that UConn will be a vastly improved team next year. Considering (a) the numbers and intangibles that Kelly contributes, (b) the stability and numbers that CD the younger has contributed, and (c) that we just have one freshman next year, IMHO, it is assuming a lot to believe that our current freshman, sophomores, and juniors will improve to the extent that they not only make up for the loss of Kelly and CD, but also improve to the extent that UConn overall is clearly substantially improved next year. I hope they do improve that much and believe they can, but my point is that by no means is that level of improvement or a title next year assured. I believe that Kelly, in particular, is going to leave major gaps to be filled. I also believe that we should save this topic until the off season, when we BYers will need something like this topic to churn on...;)

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
Of course a clash of #1 vs. #2 undefeateds says a lot. But in December it says a whole lot less than it does in March or April as Cat has already eluded to. It's still way early in the season and we're playing #1 in their house.

Frankly, I think Stanford has far more to lose (psychologically) from a loss tomorrow - Possibly losing their short-lived perch at the #1 ranking...a spot they're historically unaccustomed to having and holding for an extended period. Plus all the swag they've enjoyed since beating Baylor (by only 2 points and sans Sims, BU's floor general and AA candidate). Plus the long home winning streak that will be severely tested and possibly snapped on this Cardinal team's watch. And if they lose to an opponent that is superior on paper and then on the court, how much does that get into their heads now, or perhaps down the road if/when we meet again?

The greater pressure is on Stanford tomorrow - They're #1. They're at home. They're defending a home win streak. They've got match-up challenges.

Reaction Score
Tomorrow is a must win for Stanford, if they lose to UConn at home they know they have no chance at a title. Before the end of the season Geno will get the most out of Breanna, but this early she is just learning what she needs to do to help this team. The team tomorrow is no-where near a finished product, it will get better all through the season.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
A December game against #1 Stanford on its home court is not a must win. It just isn't. It's more important that the team play well and handle the environment. But no game in December falls in the must win category, particularly when there are remaining games against Baylor, Duke and Notre Dame X2 (or 3).
Well said. This will be the toughest team so far and probably the toughest venue all season. How will the team, particularly the underclassmen, perform? If Stewie and Kaleena have their A game, I like our chances. A lot.

If we lose a close one, it will be a lesson that hopefully we can learn from.

AllAmerRedHeads

Barnstorming America author
Reaction Score
I hope we win and think we will. However it would be just a first loss and provide lots of info on things to work on against the best teams.

Only must wins are in March unless you are on the bubble for the tournament imo

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
There's a middle ground to be had here. Yes, Uconn could absorb an L tomorrow and be in fine position come March. However, there is truth to the notion that UConn teams that win national championships have tended to look like champions in December and January as well. These games with Stanford and Notre Dame are huge, just huge.
The bolded sentence had me scratching my head. Mid-January to early February is typically the period when the Huskies have played their ugliest games. This is the time when the team is living in hotels then has to adjust to the dorms again and freshmen hit the wall. Even the vaunted 2001-2002 team had issues during this time. The Virginia Tech (Phantom Phoul) game where UConn had its smallest margin of victory of 9 points was in January.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
This persistent -- but inconsistent -- difficulty with players' names is a curious trait of many otherwise basketball-wise posters. (Call me a "-wise guy" today.)

Just as everyone figured out Lauren's name was Engeln and not Englen, she left town. After two seasons of often botched references to Stephanie, the consensus is now the correct Stefanie.

Amazingly, everybody seems to know the difference between Breanna (Stewart) and Brianna (Banks). Similarly, the Ogwumike sisters (both Nneka and Chiney) apparently command such universal respect that all posters nail their unusual name.

But in this thread (and many others) the marvelous AA Baylor guard (Sims) gets confused with the NFL analyst (Phil Simms). Hey, 'Yarders, the last thing we need is for her to be pissed off at us when she arrives in Hartford on February 18. It's Sims!

I'll conclude this little vent/rant by suggesting that the guy writing in the Stanford Daily (see DD's comprehsive links to blogs today) should learn that his HoF coach is named VanDerveer, not Vanderveer. HA-RUMPF!

(Oh, yeah, I almost forgot. UConn by 12.)

Reaction Score
Think about last season when the team had 2 losses late in the year. They turned the ship around and won the BE Tournament and went to the FF. Some losses can help the team refocus and realize what they need to improve on.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Guys I really dont think on a good day Stanford can beat us. We have just to many weapons. This team is just starting to come together. Yes Tuck Stoke and Mojeff were out the last game. They will over the next month develop more as we get into the conference schedule. As for non freshman we are healthly except for Kiah. Those guys can put up alot of big numbers and play as a unit.

Im not worried about UConn losing this game. Here are my reasons. Let me ask you this? Do you think Stanford can score 65 pts againest UConn? I dont. Do you think Stanford can keep UConn under 65pts? I dont. Do you think Stanford can keep KML Bria Breanna Stef and Kelly under 10 pts each? I dont. Do you think Stanfords starters can score in double digets againest UConn? No. Case Closed. For Stanford to win its going to take alot. Stanford is going to have to have a fantastic shooting day and UConn will have to not be able to shoot the ball in the ocean. We have way to much fire power inside and out. Againest Baylor Stanford shot 50% on treys and had 40 rebounds. I dont think with Breanna playing the periminter Stanford shoots 50% on treys and I dont think they get 40 rebounds.

Last season Bria and KML poured it on. If it wasnt for Nneka and James off the bench with 14 (remember her) Stanford wouldnt have had anybody in double figure. Nneka has graduated and I dont think Camp has another career day today. Chiney in two games againest UConn was in foul trouble.. I dont think that happens today. Chiney must stay out of foul trouble. UConn by double digets.

I expect Stanford to try and keep the game in the 60's or less. I expect UConn to pressure the ball and try to keep it out of Orranges hands. I also expect UConn to take it right had Chiney. I dont think the defenders on Stewart KML and Hartley can keep up with them. I dont think Tinkle and Ruef can play Stef one on one. I dont think Chiney will go off with Kelly guarding her. When we go on one of our runs I think we blow it open. JMO

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
This persistent -- but inconsistent -- difficulty with players' names is a curious trait of many otherwise basketball-wise posters. (Call me a "-wise guy" today.)

Just as everyone figured out Lauren's name was Engeln and not Englen, she left town. After two seasons of often botched references to Stephanie, the consensus is now the correct Stefanie.

Amazingly, everybody seems to know the difference between Breanna (Stewart) and Brianna (Banks). Similarly, the Ogwumike sisters (both Nneka and Chiney) apparently command such universal respect that all posters nail their unusual name.

But in this thread (and many others) the marvelous AA Baylor guard (Sims) gets confused with the NFL analyst (Phil Simms). Hey, 'Yarders, the last thing we need is for her to be pissed off at us when she arrives in Hartford on February 18. It's Sims!

I'll conclude this little vent/rant by suggesting that the guy writing in the Stanford Daily (see DD's comprehsive links to blogs today) should learn that his HoF coach is named VanDerveer, not Vanderveer. HA-RUMPF!

(Oh, yeah, I almost forgot. UConn by 12.)

So let me get this straight. You believe that a Boneyarder accidentally misspelling an opponent's name is what is going to propel that opponent to greater heights against us??? Wow... :eek:

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
Points (being REALLY conservative):

Stewie 10
KML 15
Stef 10
Bria 12
Kelly 8
BB 8
Bench 5

Total 68

Waddya think?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Points (being REALLY conservative):

Stewie 10
KML 15
Stef 10
Bria 12
Kelly 8
BB 8
Bench 5

Total 68

Waddya think?
Unless there is injury or foul trouble, I'm thinking 35-40 combined for Stewie and Kaleena.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
That would be incredible, and would do it! So over 15 a piece, give or take...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom