This feels like the end of a dynasty...like the Patriots | Page 2 | The Boneyard

This feels like the end of a dynasty...like the Patriots

Reaction Score
I have no ties to Uconn, either the school or the state. Always a basketball junkie, first as a player, then as a high school coach but always a fan. Became a Uconn WBB rooter gradually, mostly in admiration of the way Auriemma and Dailey could incorporate the best of talents into a team.

It goes without saying the program set the bar so ridiculously high that it is just unrealistic, if objective, to expect that there would not be periodic “bumps in the road.” A bump in the road for Uconn? Losing consecutively in two FF semi-finals in incredibly close games and losing a regular season game to the defending NCs.

I agree with those who do not think this team stacks up to past Uconn teams. So what? Uconn and the two coaches almost singlehandedly lifted WBB to the point where their dominance is challenged. If you listened years ago to Auriemma discuss the “Uconn is bad for women’s basketball” mantra he was consistent in challenging other programs to catch up. To a large degree that is what has happened with a small sprinkling of Uconn being NOT QUITE as good, but still really damn good.

I did not think Uconn played very well last night, even the three stars who scored had holes in their games. Again, so what? It happens and it happened. If I have one concrete criticism it is that those three did not seem to trust their teammates and IMO appeared to be willing to play 3 on 5. That is what I saw but others could have seen it differently and I certainly respect that. As another poster shared, not being in practices, meetings, etc. gives one a very difficult angle to analyze the why of what happened.

Anyway, my two cents and I will just end with this, to all live and die with each game Uconn WBB fans, you can pretty much count on one hand the sports teams that have provided the sustained level of success your team does and there really is no end in sight.

Love every word! Thank you...........Littlemin

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Oh yeah, one more point on the home winning streak thing: Uconn ended the #3 Standford streak, and the tied for #4 home streaks of Baylor and TN. So Uconn is referenced in all 6 of the longest home streaks.

Reaction Score
Clearly, Olivia was simply overwhelmed with the magnitude of the moment. However, in her defense, she was already in a bit of a slump, and imo was lacking confidence just when she needed it most. The player I was disappointed in was Megan. This was a game , the game, for her to step up and affirm herself as the “go to” leader on this team! However, it was Williams who seemed to be the leader, who tried to will the team to victory and who was fearless and aggressive! Meg seemed tentative and just ...intimidated! Chrystal seemed to have a moment, (I think in the second half, where she got p****d and really started playing like a senior leader. However, again imo, it seemed as if those two, Williams and (to some extent) Danger, were the only players who didn’t seem intimidated!! I mean, Meghan at least was able to contribute something, but she and everyone else seemed like deer in headlights! That, more than anything, alarms me! In the immortal words of Ike Clancy in Tombstone, (paraphrased) “ Being intimidated just don’t go round here! “ UConn is the intimidator! Geno has a lot of work to do! This team just doesn’t have the swagger of a great team! I believe they can still become one, but first they have to start thinking, acting, and playing with some attitude!

Reaction Score
I think these reports of Uconn's demise are a bit exaggerated................the only generational talent that I'm aware of will be playing for the Huskies next year and she's not 6'5" and the next generational talent will hopefully be following her to Uconn a year later.............add the other known recruits and you've got a pretty darn good team that should compete for an NC for years to come..........

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
OMG Please guys. If Westbrook played last nite we wouldve won. Think about that. We had 3 players 0-14 and down 1 pt with 4 minutes left. Next season we loose Dangerfield and bring in Westbrook Bueckers and our terrific freshman class then the following season Deberry and Saylor and who ever else then the following season Ice Brady. We will be loaded.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
UConn & Patriots teams - feels like their 20+ year dynasties are coming to an end. Teams are no longer afraid of them. Teams are catching up in terms of coaching and talent development. I know we're supposed to have a good recruiting class coming in next year, but we all know that is a crapshoot. This team is far behind in terms of physical players with size. That doesnt get fixed in a year. Look at South Carolina. That team is stacked with young, gifted physical players, including Boston who is a generational talent. The days of dominance are over I'm afraid....

Thanks for this. I needed a good laugh today. This might be the ultimate "Chicken Little" post of the season. But maybe that was the goal? Bring absurdity to a new level.

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score
LMAO. You're exposing your bias for Boston. But we can see that by your logo and repeated claims of her being a "generational" talent. And can you tell us what your description of a generational talent is? BTW, why don't you list ONO as one? After all, her stats are better in 2 of 3 categories. Boston- 13 PPG, 8.9 Reb, and 50 Blocks. ONO- 12 PPG, 9.3 Reb, and 55 Blocks in 3 less games.
Hey....if Ono does that against the likes of Maryland, Baylor, Kentucky, Arkansas, and others...you can compare. I think Boston is much better than Ono at this stage. Sorry, but it's true.

Reaction Score
UConn & Patriots teams - feels like their 20+ year dynasties are coming to an end. Teams are no longer afraid of them. Teams are catching up in terms of coaching and talent development. I know we're supposed to have a good recruiting class coming in next year, but we all know that is a crapshoot. This team is far behind in terms of physical players with size. That doesnt get fixed in a year. Look at South Carolina. That team is stacked with young, gifted physical players, including Boston who is a generational talent. The days of dominance are over I'm afraid....
Go to the water fountain your glass is half empty

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
The sky isn't falling, and I know from the sky falling, having had limbs coming through my roof a couple of times, and having to cut a path to my front door with a chainsaw. This isn't that.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
The O.P. raise a valid post. All good things must come to an end.

The Louisiana Tech Lady Techsters, The Tennessee Lady Vols, The Houston Comets, and The New England Patriots. At one time these dominant teams won the game before the ball, or coin, was tossed in the air. They struck fear in the heart of their opponents. Eventually, someone bigger and stronger ventured down the road and knocked them off the hill.

Is this the fate of the Mighty UConn Huskies? Are they destine to be stuck on 11? If this is their lot in life, it was a marvelous run.
You could've saved us the schmaltzy clichés because that wasn't OP's point at all.

Reaction Score

Let me see Uconn looses 1 game on a rebuilding year with players out injured and one wasn't allowed to play this year and it's the end of a dynasty. That is really laughable and a joke.

Reaction Score
Talk about bad takes...

Losing to another title contender early season in a rebuilding year is not the end of the world. If anything the team proved that they are at least in contention this year by hanging with Baylor until the 4th quarter.

Did anyone expected this team to have a perfect season this year and dominate WCBB? I'm not sure if anyone truly expected them to even be a Final Four team. So far they've outperformed preseason expectations, even with this loss. Lots to be optimistic about.

Reaction Score
I agree with the premise that there are more teams with superior talent that will make it harder for UConn to be as dominant as they have in the past, but the Patriots need to rebuild and potentially may not be too good for awhile, UConn is one of the best teams in the country and will continue for the foreseeable future. I'd be happy to place a bet on at least one NC in the next 3 years.
Me, too. But we are dealing with this season's team. At least that is the basis of my thoughts.

Reaction Score
A down year or end of a dynasty would be crashing like ND. UConn is still a final four team and would be even better if Westbrook's waiver had been approved. Like another poster said this is just a blip in the road, maybe not Championship level but pretty close. Next year returns the dominance back again.

Reaction Score
???A bit too many adult beverages? Love Huskie's future and I have heard the Pat's run has been over for about 10 years. Where is this coming from?

Reaction Score
I have no ties to Uconn, either the school or the state. Always a basketball junkie, first as a player, then as a high school coach but always a fan. Became a Uconn WBB rooter gradually, mostly in admiration of the way Auriemma and Dailey could incorporate the best of talents into a team.

It goes without saying the program set the bar so ridiculously high that it is just unrealistic, if objective, to expect that there would not be periodic “bumps in the road.” A bump in the road for Uconn? Losing consecutively in two FF semi-finals in incredibly close games and losing a regular season game to the defending NCs.

I agree with those who do not think this team stacks up to past Uconn teams. So what? Uconn and the two coaches almost singlehandedly lifted WBB to the point where their dominance is challenged. If you listened years ago to Auriemma discuss the “Uconn is bad for women’s basketball” mantra he was consistent in challenging other programs to catch up. To a large degree that is what has happened with a small sprinkling of Uconn being NOT QUITE as good, but still really damn good.

I did not think Uconn played very well last night, even the three stars who scored had holes in their games. Again, so what? It happens and it happened. If I have one concrete criticism it is that those three did not seem to trust their teammates and IMO appeared to be willing to play 3 on 5. That is what I saw but others could have seen it differently and I certainly respect that. As another poster shared, not being in practices, meetings, etc. gives one a very difficult angle to analyze the why of what happened.

Anyway, my two cents and I will just end with this, to all live and die with each game Uconn WBB fans, you can pretty much count on one hand the sports teams that have provided the sustained level of success your team does and there really is no end in sight.

Bravo, great post. I, like you, have no ties to UConn, have been involved with basketball every year since my 7th grade teacher entered the room crying about our President being shot and killed, and became a fan because of how the UConn program was built. After college basketball, coaching became a passion at different levels (other than junior high) and genders. I have observed some of the tactics used in recruiting against UConn: Geno’s age, even if you play and win there you’ll be compared to their former greats, and the most frequent Is Geno’s demanding style and “candor”. Not every player, or parent, will accept that, but my experience has been that good players want to be coached, and great players want to be told the truth.

The only thing I would add to your statement about being able to count the programs who have the sustained success of UConn’s program on one hand, is that when you are done counting you would have several fingers left.

Reaction Score
Stop with the generational player for freshman on college. Stewie is the generational player. Won 4 national championships. Lost 1 game the last 3 years of college. In her 3rd year in the WNBA Seattle went from last to winning the championship.
In 2018 WNBA, regular season MVP. Playoff MVP. Then leads Team USA to World Championship, again the MVP. Then goes to Russia and is 1st half MVP. That is a generational player.

Reaction Score
Stop with the generational player for freshman on college. Stewie is the generational player. Won 4 national championships. Lost 1 game the last 3 years of college. In her 3rd year in the WNBA Seattle went from last to winning the championship.
In 2018 WNBA, regular season MVP. Playoff MVP. Then leads Team USA to World Championship, again the MVP. Then goes to Russia and is 1st half MVP. That is a generational player.
Exactly. You need a resume to be that type of player. I told this guy to tell us what his description of a generational player is and I predictably got crickets for a response.

Reaction Score
Bravo, great post. I, like you, have no ties to UConn, have been involved with basketball every year since my 7th grade teacher entered the room crying about our President being shot and killed, and became a fan because of how the UConn program was built. After college basketball, coaching became a passion at different levels (other than junior high) and genders. I have observed some of the tactics used in recruiting against UConn: Geno’s age, even if you play and win there you’ll be compared to their former greats, and the most frequent Is Geno’s demanding style and “candor”. Not every player, or parent, will accept that, but my experience has been that good players want to be coached, and great players want to be told the truth.

The only thing I would add to your statement about being able to count the programs who have the sustained success of UConn’s program on one hand, is that when you are done counting you would have several fingers left.

To be specific, you would have 5 fingers left.:cool:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom