This decade's Ryan Gomes... | The Boneyard

This decade's Ryan Gomes...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm drawing a blank, but can someone refresh my memory on how we let Kris Dunn get out of this state? Were we not interested? Was he not interested?

Reaction Score
Two things I believe. One is that we didn't have a scholarship. We barely found a way to squeeze Drummond in. Two is that we had Bazz heading into his junior year and Boat heading into his sophomore year so we could not offer the play time at PG that PC could.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
He wanted to go to Providence.

So he went.

No great mystery there.

Gomes was a much different story - even Providence didn't want him initially. That was just a great job by a high school coach to convince someone to take a shot, a great job by Gomes to get himself into condition and a great job by Welsh to help develop a player.

Reaction Score
He wanted to go to Providence.

So he went.

No great mystery there.

Gomes was a much different story - even Providence didn't want him initially. That was just a great job by a high school coach to convince someone to take a shot, a great job by Gomes to get himself into condition and a great job by Welsh to help develop a player.

Wayne S was his AAU coach, was he his HS coach also? But you are correct, nice job by Welsh and his team, and of course Gomes himself, to develop that way.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I should have mentioned Wayne as well.

Reaction Score
I don't believe Dunn had any intention of going to UConn. I remember reading about the close relationship he has with PC coach Ed Cooley. Cooley was recruiting him back when he was HC at Fairfield. When Providence hired EC Dunn followed him there. I believe UConn did had a scholarship issue where they had to give one up from a player already on the roster to transfer it to Drummond. The other factor was the timing. We were coming off a championship and we weren't desperate or hungry like PC was. I don't believe Dunn alone can bring a championship to PC thought but will without a doubt become a fantastic NBA player. PC should be proud with just that. How often did we hear the NBA commissioners say "draft ____ from Providence College" at the draft? Not very often. I can only think of three : Ryan Gomes, Marshawn Brooks, and Ricardo Ledo which none of them are still playing in the NBA.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
And with the walk-ons. Just sayin. . . . . . . . . . . . .

Yeah, but Phil actually contributed. Played solid (not great) D for them throughout. Brimah spent a LOT of time on the bench because of foul trouble. I still feel like that was Phil's best year.

Reaction Score
Yeah, but Phil actually contributed. Played solid (not great) D for them throughout. Brimah spent a LOT of time on the bench because of foul trouble. I still feel like that was Phil's best year.
We need a win, you guys are too serious.

Reaction Score
It's very simply two words: Ed Cooley

Has little to do with Providence, UCONN, Fairfield, or anything else. Ed was in early and the connection was strong.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't give Welsh too much credit for developing Gomes, he was ready to play from his first game on and was pretty much a great college player from the first time he picked up the ball at PC. We didn't have a scholarship for Dunn but Cooley recruited Dunn way before anyone, he was going to his games when he was coaching Fairfield and when he got the Providence job he continued to go to every single one of Dunn's games. Dunn is best buddies with Drummond so if we had a scholarship to give him Dunn would have had a decision to make but I still think he probably would've picked Providence and Cooley deserved that because of his efforts.

Reaction Score
I look at it that Dunn being here in 2014 changes something. Either personnel or rotation or chemistry. And I'm happy with 2014 just the way it is.

We were also going on probation. We couldn't keep a lot of the players we already did have, never mind trying to convince new talented ones to come.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Andre's situation had nothing to do with Kris Dunn. They didn't go to college at the same time. If Kris came to UConn I'm sure Andre would've stayed an extra year though.

caw

Reaction Score
Andre's situation had nothing to do with Kris Dunn. They didn't go to college at the same time. If Kris came to UConn I'm sure Andre would've stayed an extra year though.

The NCAA ban made that unlikely with or without Dunn.

Reaction Score
It's very simply two words: Ed Cooley

Has little to do with Providence, UCONN, Fairfield, or anything else. Ed was in early and the connection was strong.

Ed Cooley's a very good coach. He's doing things at PC that nobody since Pitino has done (although Gillen had his moments). I'll be very interested to see how PC does in the post-Dunn era--that's when we'll figure out just how good Cooley really is.

Reaction Score
Andre's plan was to stay another season before the APR nonsense happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom