This decade's Ryan Gomes... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

This decade's Ryan Gomes...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
No matter the circumstances, it's not easy to see a potential NPOY from Connecticut playing for another team. Of course I wouldn't trade 2014 for anything, but there's nothing wrong with saying it would be nice to have this guy

Reaction Score
I don't believe Dunn had any intention of going to UConn. I remember reading about the close relationship he has with PC coach Ed Cooley. Cooley was recruiting him back when he was HC at Fairfield. When Providence hired EC Dunn followed him there. I believe UConn did had a scholarship issue where they had to give one up from a player already on the roster to transfer it to Drummond. The other factor was the timing. We were coming off a championship and we weren't desperate or hungry like PC was. I don't believe Dunn alone can bring a championship to PC thought but will without a doubt become a fantastic NBA player. PC should be proud with just that. How often did we hear the NBA commissioners say "draft ____ from Providence College" at the draft? Not very often. I can only think of three : Ryan Gomes, Marshawn Brooks, and Ricardo Ledo which none of them are still playing in the NBA.

Drummond paid his own way. No scholarship transfer.

Reaction Score
He wanted to go to Providence.

So he went.

No great mystery there.

Gomes was a much different story - even Providence didn't want him initially. That was just a great job by a high school coach to convince someone to take a shot, a great job by Gomes to get himself into condition and a great job by Welsh to help develop a player.
Exactly. Here is hoping we don't get a 3 year Gomes like run of posts on Dunn.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
There was rumor from the New London area that Dunn was going to commit to Fairfield early on, before he blew up (last summer of AAU ball). UConn was always there but the interest wasn't as high as Cooley's.

Also remember Dunn got injured and sat out a year - we didn't have the playing time at PG and Providence (of course) did and hired Cooley. If we seriously went after him, he'd be in a Husky uniform and we likely would have made the tournament last year.

Reaction Score
He wasn't going to UCONN regardless of how hard they went after him. The only way he was going to UCONN is if UCONN hired Cooley.

caw

Reaction Score
If we seriously went after him, he'd be in a Husky uniform..

Nope.

He wasn't going to UCONN regardless of how hard they went after him. The only way he was going to UCONN is if UCONN hired Cooley.

And nope.

Before UConn got Omar Calhoun it was at best a 50/50 proposition at getting Dunn to UConn. There was interest on both sides. If UConn had not taken Calhoun, I don't think the decision would have changed but UConn was recruiting him and he was highly considering them. We will never know how things would have played out if UConn had not taken Calhoun but with no APR penalties and with Drummond it would have been closer than PC fans would care to admit (though due to Boat and Napier I would still say it is likely he ends up at PC). UConn got a NC with its backcourt so UConn can't complain with the results and PC can't brag about it. Worked out for all involved.

Reaction Score
Dunn said in his own words. Watch some video on him, read some stories if you really want the answer. He wasn't going anywhere but where Cooley was.

caw

Reaction Score
Dunn said in his own words. Watch some video on him, read some stories if you really want the answer. He wasn't going anywhere but where Cooley was.

I trust who I talked to and when I talked to him (as in during the recruitment).

Reaction Score
As do I....but keep making pretend you know what you are talking about. It's entertaining.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
The NCAA ban made that unlikely with or without Dunn.
Eh. Kris and Andre are bestfriends. If Kris came to UConn I'm sure he would've stayed just to play and be with Kris. The reason he went to UConn was because Kris decided to go back to New London instead of St Thomas Moore. Otherwise Andre would've just stayed another year in high school and went to the NBA.

caw

Reaction Score
As do I....but keep making pretend you know what you are talking about. It's entertaining.

Ahh, I see you have a new handle. Didn't realize you were the previous PC fan. Ignored. And PC sucks donkey balls.

Last edited:

caw

Reaction Score
Eh. Kris and Andre are bestfriends. If Kris came to UConn I'm sure he would've stayed just to play and be with Kris. The reason he went to UConn was because Kris decided to go back to New London instead of St Thomas Moore. Otherwise Andre would've just stayed another year in high school and went to the NBA.

Yes, I know. And I don't know Drummonds thoughts personally so you could be right and maybe I phrased my response poorly there. My point was the APR ban played a bigger role than Dunn not coming IMO, but without the APR issues Dunn may have come, so chicken and egg argument.

Reaction Score

Why are you even here? Why do you even care what people here think, he's at PC, does this offend you that at one time his mind was thinking UConn? Maybe if that 8th ranked team could get by the powerhouse Marquette squad you'd be in a better mood. I know no one around here is in a good mood so putting up with d-bags like you doesn't help with the morale. Move on to Coren and crew, although because of that I don't blame you for wanting to be with intelligent fans.

Reaction Score

This thread started with Gomes. PC folk talk, with glee, remembering when Calhoun went off on the reporter from the NH Register.
Bottom line, in '04, is UConn went on to win it's 2nd NC. PC got knocked off in the 1st round. And, didn't make the tourney for another 10 years.
When Dunn signed with PC, UConn was coming off it's 3rd NC. Since Dunn's time at PC, UConn has won it's 4th NC.
Coming from a UConn fans viewpoint, who cares how, or why Gomes and Dunn ended up at PC. UConn won it's 2nd, 3rd, & 4th NC, during that time. Plus an additional F-4 appearance. PC hasn't won a tourney game since the 90's. Cooley has never won a tourney game.
So take your Dunn, Gomes, & Cooley. I'll take UConn's situation any day.

Reaction Score
This thread started with Gomes. PC folk talk, with glee, remembering when Calhoun went off on the reporter from the NH Register.
Bottom line, in '04, is UConn went on to win it's 2nd NC. PC got knocked off in the 1st round. And, didn't make the tourney for another 10 years.
When Dunn signed with PC, UConn was coming off it's 3rd NC. Since Dunn's time at PC, UConn has won it's 4th NC.
Coming from a UConn fans viewpoint, who cares how, or why Gomes and Dunn ended up at PC. UConn won it's 2nd, 3rd, & 4th NC, during that time. Plus an additional F-4 appearance. PC hasn't won a tourney game since the 90's. Cooley has never won a tourney game.
So take your Dunn, Gomes, & Cooley. I'll take UConn's situation any day.

I agree with all of that. I've never said anything like "HAAA PROVIDENCE HAS DUNN UCONN SUCKS" but that's how you read it in your translator. UCONN has won national championships. They were awesome. Incredible teams. Providence has not had NCAA success in a very long time. They've sucked terribly in the NCAA's since Pete Gillen left. That's stated and agreed upon by all parties. K? Check it off your list.

However it has nothing to do with what we were talking about or with what I've said. The question was why isn't Dunn on UCONN. The answer is very simply Ed Cooley. Whether you want to believe that or not, it's up to you, but it has nothing to do with the other noise.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I imagine you're an expert in the field.

Providence could win every game between now and the end of time and they would still suck.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
It's clear there are very few active NBE message boards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom