This Conference Needs Us | Page 2 | The Boneyard

This Conference Needs Us

Reaction Score
I got news for you.

I saw all the AAC teams up close. Olejeye was the only player that wowed you up close in the entire league.

A UConn team from 10 years ago dominates this league. Something is off with this program and it's either the coaching or recruiting or this league.
Except our recruiting js legitimately better that 90% of "power 5" schools. I've seen our players up close and rique, jalen, and larrier all "wow" you with their abilities. When brimah was catching lobs and blocking shots he was very impressive to watch. Even purvis was a freak athletically. Our peoblem isnt talent and "wow" factor. I problem is IQ and confidence/swagger. We used to go into games knowing we'd straight dismantle the opposing team just because we were UConn amd thats what we did. Our players have to get back to that mindset. We dont just want to just find a way to win or grind it out, we want to annihilate you. Thats whats missing

Reaction Score
I got news for you.

I saw all the AAC teams up close. Olejeye was the only player that wowed you up close in the entire league.

A UConn team from 10 years ago dominates this league. Something is off with this program and it's either the coaching or recruiting or this league.

It's both actually, coaching and recruiting. They both suck, let's start from scratch!:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
If we are recruiting as well as you say and finish lower than 2nd next year, Ollie should have the heat turned up to 360.

I made this point in another thread. And let me preface this - we got extremely unlucky with injuries this year. But the point remains that UCONN had 9 top 100 players on our opening season roster and the rest of the conference combined for 7 top 100 players. (Based on the composite recruiting system)

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
We need to be the regular season Gonzaga of this conference, and then UConn in March.

MASSconn

Pretentious CR Critic
Reaction Score
Agreed. We are just fine. We have everything we need to be the kings of the AAC. We just have to do it

Um we haven't done it once yet. We actually haven't even finished in the top 2. Classic optimistic thinking of this board "we'll dominate next year."

Reaction Score
Um we haven't done it once yet. We actually haven't even finished in the top 2. Classic optimistic thinking of this board "we'll dominate next year."
I didnt say we'd do anything. I said we have everything we need. I actually havent seen anyone make one gurantee. So who are you reffering to?

Classic boneyard case of creating issues

MASSconn

Pretentious CR Critic
Reaction Score
I didnt say we do anything. I said we have everything we need. I actually havent seen anyone make one gurantee. So who are you reffering to?

The many apologists on this board. Here's the reality: we haven't even come close to winning this conference, and if we don't next year we should think about sending Kevin Ollie back to the NBA as an assistant.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
I hate being in this conference more than anyone but I can't get on board with any of these sentiments. No conference needs us. The conference isn't killing us. We need to perform to the potential of our talent and we will be all set and hopefully things will fall into place.

Yeah, nobody slights Gonzaga for playing in a pathetic conference that they perenially dominate. If you do that playing a tough OOC schedule, nobody berates you.

Reaction Score
The many apologists on this board. Here's the reality: we haven't even come close to winning this conference, and if we don't next year we should think about sending Kevin Ollie back to the NBA as an assistant.
No one disagrees. Weve covered this subject sooooo mamy times. I thinl everyone is tired of talking about it. KO has no excuses next year. THE ENTIRE FAN BASE AGREES WITH YOU:)Head bang

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
What a novel idea. Glad somebody thought about it.

Reaction Score
I would chuckle at some of the Mid Majors that would get one or two bids out of their conference, get a high seed, hear them bitch, and then one and done in the tourney. Let's face it, P5 fans are chuckling at us. The American Sucks, and we are destined to be dragged down with it.

Reaction Score
Yeah, nobody slights Gonzaga for playing in a pathetic conference that they perenially dominate. If you do that playing a tough OOC schedule, nobody berates you.

Exactly. Gonzaga got a 1 seed in a conference that has 3 teams in the KenPom top 100 and 4 teams lower than 200. The American sucks. The WCC is even worse. Especially considering decent programs like Memphis and Temple had down years. If we can take care of our OOC, we will have a great opportunity at a very high seed.

I do have to admit that trying to argue that we can be Gonzaga-esque does make me sick to my stomach. F conference realignment. But lets not absolve our program of all blame.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Gonzaga plays a better OOC schedule than anyone in the AAC.

They beat Arizona, Iowa State, and Florida!

SMU played nobody but USC and Michigan in their OOC schedule that turned out to be any good. They lost by 22 to the Wolverines. They also somehow managed to lose to Boise State by nine points???

They got the seed and result they deserved. Until such time as these AAC teams want to go out and actually schedule some nationally relevant competition OOC, expect a continued diet of snow seeds.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
They got the seed and result they deserved. Until such time as these AAC teams want to go out and actually schedule and beat some nationally relevant competition OOC, expect a continued diet of snow seeds.
FIFY

And that goes for us, too. We do need to finish annually top in our league, no worse than third certainly. But we've also got to beat some pretty good teams OOC, like OKSt, Oregon, Auburn, Ohio State, Georgetown.

H

huskymagic

I don't know why anybody is surprised by SMU losing to a good USC squad with good talent who already beat them this year. Nobody in the American other than UCONN is anything.

Like I and a few others have said we need to be proactive and get Cinci onboard for a package deal to the Big East for basketball making the Big East the premiere basketball conference in the Northeast and America. By doing this the AAC will have no leverage to prevent us and will keep us in football. We need to force ESPN's hand bigly. Keep sitting on our ass and hope for the miracle to come and we become St. John's, UMess, Georgetown.

PS: What does this say about Ollie and his consistent 6th place finishes in the American?

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score

Yeah, plenty of top candidates are going to be knocking down our door. Look at the great names other AAC schools have brought in: Johnny Dawkins, Mike Dunleavy Sr., Kelvin Sampson, Frank Haith. Definitely the kind of guys who are going to bring things back to Calhoun levels.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Yeah, plenty of top candidates are going to be knocking down our door. Look at the great names other AAC schools have brought in: Johnny Dawkins, Mike Dunleavy Sr., Kelvin Sampson, Frank Haith. Definitely the kind of guys who are going to bring things back to Calhoun levels.
It's a morgue of washed up coaches. Watch Crean land here too.

Reaction Score
Let's be clear: SMU was still a very good team and they were still under-seeded. Losing by one point in a game in which they led throughout is not an indictment on the league. The indictment on the league is what the league does OOC every year, which is nothing.

Cincinnati is also very good and they were seeded about where they were supposed to be. What they do in the tournament has little to do with the league being a train-wreck.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

Sorry, but no.

Same conference or not, UConn isn't fishing off the same pier as Tulsa or South Florida.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Sorry, but no.

Same conference or not, UConn isn't fishing off the same pier as Tulsa or South Florida.

We're not getting the Archie Millers who rebuff their ACC alma maters either.

If the people advocating for KO's removal think that the program has sunk low enough to warrant a coaching change, it's illogical for them to think that we'd have our pick of the litter when selecting his replacement.

Reaction Score
I made this point in another thread. And let me preface this - we got extremely unlucky with injuries this year. But the point remains that UCONN had 9 top 100 players on our opening season roster and the rest of the conference combined for 7 top 100 players. (Based on the composite recruiting system)
Nice to see you think so highly of UConn basketball. Putting us at the same level as Tulsa and Tulane.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom