This aged well | Page 3 | The Boneyard

This aged well

Reaction Score
This is a very dumb take. Every team would take one NBA Championship for 4 to 5 bad seasons after that. Lebron wins a championship everywhere he goes
Well this is a very dumb response. I never said teams don’t or shouldn’t take it. I just clearly outlined Pre/with Lebron/post Lebron life. Also acknowledged he wins one there. It’s just flash in the pan success

Reaction Score
Lebron would have been a role player at best if he played in the 90s. Game was too physical.
That's absolutely ridiculous beyond belief if you are being serious and not sarcastic. A role player? Really? The 90s were more physical, but to say that would diminish Lebron into a role player is beyond dumb.

I am not even a Lebron fan, but the guy has shrugged off plenty of hard fouls as if they were nothing while other players like Jordan, Magic, or Bird get hurt or displaced by those same fouls.

Also, in the 90s zone defenses were not allowed yet so no satellite defenders could hover around the offensive player with the ball.

Reaction Score
I don't hate him, but he's probably the least likable major star the NBA has had, at least that I can remember. Bird, Magic, Jordan, Duncan, Kobe, Shaq, Oajuwon, Isaiah Thomas, all those guys had personalities. So I have rooted against him at every stop and look forward to his retirement.
Hard to say if he is the least likeable major star the NBA has had. I think a lot Jordan lovers hate him and can't root for Lebron for fear that he might be viewed as better than Jordan. I don't really have an opinion one way or other between him Jordan.

Isiah Thomas had a personality that was liked by a lot which is why he is in media now, but he was not liked by most players and a lot of fans as the Pistons broke the stranglehold the beloved Lakers and Celtics had on the NBA and that they kept beating the Bulls. His personality and the fact he made a lot of enemies was one of the reasons he was kept off the Dream Team. Isiah had to have his attitude to make it as far as he did. He is very underrated as far legends conversations go and if we are talking about skill and accomplishments alone, he definitely should have been on the Dream Team.

Reaction Score
I've never met anyone else with this opinion because it seems to always be the opposite, but:

College basketball >>>> NBA
College football <<<< NFL

I absolutely hate the NBA. College is just so much more exciting and fun to watch as a neutral fan. Every regular season game means something in college, and the conference tourneys / NCAAT are right up there with the NFL playoffs for the best postseason events

Reaction Score
The Lakers are a mess, but they are tied with the celtics with 17 titles. They are one of 2 organizations that didn't need to blow everything up just to win 1 title with Lebron. No other franchise has more than 6.

Phenomenal player, but organizations collapsing after he leaves isn't just because their best player left, it's because they often dumped every young potential star in an effort to sign/keep/pay Lebron.

Reaction Score
Russ’ descent has been insane, and AD being arguably the softest player in the league doomed them. If I was LeBron, I may consider returning to Cleveland. Great young core there.
Doesn't he still have a mansion in Akron or thereabouts?

Reaction Score
Hard to say if he is the least likeable major star the NBA has had. I think a lot Jordan lovers hate him and can't root for Lebron for fear that he might be viewed as better than Jordan. I don't really have an opinion one way or other between him Jordan.

Isiah Thomas had a personality that was liked by a lot which is why he is in media now, but he was not liked by most players and a lot of fans as the Pistons broke the stranglehold the beloved Lakers and Celtics had on the NBA and that they kept beating the Bulls. His personality and the fact he made a lot of enemies was one of the reasons he was kept off the Dream Team. Isiah had to have his attitude to make it as far as he did. He is very underrated as far legends conversations go and if we are talking about skill and accomplishments alone, he definitely should have been on the Dream Team.
I do think people feel that it was beneath Lebron to join forces to win a championship in his prime, KD of course took that to another level. I dont blame him for doing so having all that pressure delivering a title since he was out of high school, and being the chosen one since he was probably 13.

The 2011 Finals I think sealed the Lebron-MJ GOAT conversation. Winning your 1st title with your franchise is looked upon differently then joining forces to do it, Lebron is an all-time great but not MJ no one else is either no shame in that.

Reaction Score
Giannis title last year is looked upon differently then Lebron and KDs titles, theres something about overcoming the struggle to win one, joining forces to do it in your prime looks more cheesy, you can deny it all you want and there are plenty of good reasons to join forces but it does remove yourself from GOAT debates in a lot of peoples eyes, I mean that from NBA HOF opinions not just average NBA fans.

Reaction Score
rank lebron wherever you want, but if you're a basketball fan and you're not thrilled to have been alive during his career, i'm not sure what to tell you. what he's done on and off the court for the duration of his career has been nothing short of spectacular. if you're looking for reasons to hate, maybe just find a mirror to look in. somebody hurt you and it isn't lebron

not saying there isn't valid criticism regarding him, but come on. how many times does this discussion have to be had. we get it, things were soooooo great back in your day

Reaction Score
He's also jumped around from team to team playing GM. He's surrounded himself with Hall of Famers so it's worked a fair amount of the time. His most impressive feat was when he was doing it with the Cavs team he was drafted by. The East was incredibly weak then but he did get through that Pistons team which was a hell of an accomplishment. Incredible success with some major duds.

His legacy is intact and he'll pass Kareem in all-time scoring but he'll never pass Jordan and be considered the best ever which is what he's been chasing his entire career, it's what Kobe was chasing his entire career too. It's like they were chasing a ghost but the ghost is still alive and still way more popular than them.
I agree he’ll never catch MJ, and while some people amazingly look at that through the lens of some kind of disappointment, I couldn’t imagine doing so. He’s clearly the 2nd best player ever, which only in this case do some view that as a negative or a reason to make fun. Imagine doing that for any other player in any other sport?

As far as jumping around—who really cares if he’s the best player on each team? It’s not like he jumped around to ring chase as a role player. Or went to a team that won 73 games without him. Also, had he not been drafted by one of the most incompetent and worsts owners in the NBA I bet his career would have been just Cleveland and then LA.

Reaction Score
Also his most impressive feat was the 3-1 comeback vs GS—probably one of the most impressive feats in recent sports history actually

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Also his most impressive feat was the 3-1 comeback vs GS—probably one of the most impressive feats in recent sports history actually
Others to consider are his first and last trips to the finals with Cleveland. On either squad, replace him with the second, third or fourth best small forward in the league and you're looking at a 30 win team.

Reaction Score

If people are being honest part of the Jordan love stems from the fact that he bent over backwards to avoid saying a single interesting thing in 20 years as a public figure. People like that.

Reaction Score
If people are being honest part of the Jordan love stems from the fact that he bent over backwards to avoid saying a single interesting thing in 20 years as a public figure. People like that.
Republicans buy sneakers too. ;^)

Reaction Score
He brings the hate on himself with his actions. LeBron is an insufferable ego-maniac that has absolutely no self awareness. I mean the guy refers to himself as "the king". I guess that's what happens when you're surrounded by a bunch of "yes men" by the time you're 10/11 years old.

View attachment 75340

Remember this tweet from August?
Youre old arent you? Its a different generation. I dont remember the tweet because i really dont pay much attention to what these guys do off the court for the most part and i dont do social trash.

Reaction Score
totally different world during MJs run and he was about winning and getting his money and keeping it at that which was much simpler then.

Reaction Score
I do think people feel that it was beneath Lebron to join forces to win a championship in his prime, KD of course took that to another level. I dont blame him for doing so having all that pressure delivering a title since he was out of high school, and being the chosen one since he was probably 13.

The 2011 Finals I think sealed the Lebron-MJ GOAT conversation. Winning your 1st title with your franchise is looked upon differently then joining forces to do it, Lebron is an all-time great but not MJ no one else is either no shame in that.
And that's fair and it's good point. I just don't like it when people just hate on Lebron and then they let it cloud their judgement when they compare him to other greats.

Reaction Score
Lebrons career is very reminiscent of Arod and Randy Moss. All world talents and fun to watch but you feel there was something missing.

Reaction Score
Lol neither of those players are considered the 2nd best player ever in their sports. It’s amazing that people equate “not as good as MJ” with something missing.
Baseball doesn’t really rate guys on a GOAT scale btw Ken Griffey who many consider GOAT doesn’t have a ring. Football rated by position, qbs are glorified more, there are still a lot of fans who rate Moss ahead of Rice. Many people say ARod is the best player they ever saw and Moss best WR.

Lebron has had moments where he dissapeared in the playoffs. Those guys I listed all had those moments including their freak moments where they absolutely explode.

Reaction Score
Russ’ descent has been insane, and AD being arguably the softest player in the league doomed them. If I was LeBron, I may consider returning to Cleveland. Great young core there.
He should go back to Cleveland. They would be awesome with him. Perfect team built on defense.

As far as Russ. Anyone who watched him knee once he lost some explosiveness he would lose effectiveness. He is a high usage player that can’t play without the ball

Reaction Score
Baseball doesn’t really rate guys on a GOAT scale btw Ken Griffey who many consider GOAT doesn’t have a ring. Football rated by position, qbs are glorified more, there are still a lot of fans who rate Moss ahead of Rice. Many people say ARod is the best player they ever saw and Moss best WR.

Lebron has had moments where he dissapeared in the playoffs. Those guys I listed all had those moments including their freak moments where they absolutely explode.
He really only had one bad moment in the playoffs and it was awful (Mavs). But he came out stronger on the other side and was dominant in pretty much every playoff series after. Look at his career playoff stats and career elimination game stats. They’re truly insane.

Reaction Score
Lebron is in a class of his own. He is absolutely unique. He’s Michael. He’s Magic. He’s Kobe. He’s Jerry West. He’s Bill Russell. You take all of these great, great players, and you put them in a blender and mix them up; LeBron’s got something of all of them in him.

Reaction Score
I mean, neither come across as authentic: Jordan was calculated silence and LeBron PR-driven voice.

Reaction Score
Lebron is in a class of his own. He is absolutely unique. He’s Michael. He’s Magic. He’s Kobe. He’s Jerry West. He’s Bill Russell. You take all of these great, great players, and you put them in a blender and mix them up; LeBron’s got something of all of them in him.
Jordan (who I think is the GOAT) was a natural development of Dr. J and Thompson and others, just brought to perfection. LeBron is a wonderful mixture of basketball genius. He's not like anything we've seen.

It's a shame that so many people hate the dude for a variety of reasons (and this goes back even before the Decision) and can't appreciate him for the freak he is. Some of this is on jealousy, some of this is on how he has handled himself, and some of this is on sports journalism covering him ad nauseum. But he's an absolutely special player, and to be doing what he's doing right now at his age (even if I think his season is a little overrated because of the quality of his team and his defense) may not be seen for a long time.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom