Think the rumor was kicking before? Buckle up. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Think the rumor was kicking before? Buckle up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It would be fantastic to see Pitt's President in this situation after he shivved the BE, rejected the B12, and bowed at Swofford's feet.

According to the WVU board, Oliver Luck is advocating for Pitt to the B12.

Have to say I am enjoying seeing the Syracuse and Pitt fans squirm a bit.

Reaction Score
I hope this happens, I really do. I don't expect it to, but if it did and Louisville was the #4 to the Big XII, we'd essentially be back to back to what the UConn administration thought they'd be getting in the Big East when they joined.

My ideal scenario would have UConn, Rutgers, and (wishful thinking) Notre Dame as the replacements for Clemson, FSU, and Georgia Tech.

UConn thought it was getting (pre-raid Big East): Boston College, Miami, Pittsburgh, Rutgers, Syracuse, Virginia Tech, and West Virginia)... and it would be getting (dream post-raid ACC): Boston College, Miami, Pittsburgh, Rutgers, Syracuse, Virginia Tech, Maryland, Virginia, North Carolina, NC State, Wake Forest, Duke and (wishful thinking) Notre Dame.

If that came true, sign me up, I'd trade West Virginia for (wishful thinking) Notre Dame, and the ACC remenants any day of the week.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
nd will never goto the acc. the $$ is to good elsewhere. and btw, that conf may look ok and 5th best post b12 raid. but just wait 2 years ater when the bcs goes to 8 teams and all the confs go to 16. now your left out and stuck with duke/wake/bc/cuse in that acc conf. no thanks. i'll wait for my invite in the nbe and get a better tv contract to boot.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
nd will never goto the acc.

I agree with that 100%. I just don't get all of the rumors that have floated around for about 6 months now, stating that ACC would be the conference of choice for ND if they ever decided to give up independence. It just doesn't make sense at all! I grew up watching ND football, and I can tell you with a high level of confidence that they fashion themselves as a pseudo-Big10 team. If they called the Big10 office for an invite today, they would have a certified-mail invitation on their doorstep the next morning. So to think that ND is going anywhere else but the Big10 seems kind of nuts to me. I have heard recent rumors that state a Big12 with FSU and Clemson on board could have enough (with Texas and OU) to coerce ND into joining the Big12. Maybe, but I just don't see it. To me, that school will fight to the bitter end to be independent, and when the fighting stops (no pun intended), it will be the Big10.

Reaction Score
Being in the "New Big East" or the ACC will be irrelevant if there is further expansion to 16. UConn will only have one option if the ACC is to be raided further, the Big Ten, UConn is no more likely to go there if it sits in the "New Big East" with the Bad News Bears or in a geographically sensible conference filled with rivals that the team has its history (such as it is) with.

I'm not talking money, I don't care, that's up to the AD, but as a fan, the ACC (post-raid) is so much more interesting to me than the "New Big East" its not even close. TV dollars wise, do you really think that UConn, Rutgers, #2 Ohio school & market, #4&5 Florida school, #5&6 Texas school, #3 Tennessee school, Temple, Boise, and San Diego St is going to draw a bigger deal than a conference, that excepting Philadelphia covers every major East Coast media market from Charlotte to Boston, owning (as much as possible) each of the markets, and has Miami who still is a national name, and legitimately brings that market. I find it hard to believe, regardless of how "bad" the ACC deal looks.

The "New Big East" is a life raft, every survivor on it, would happily step on the others for a lifeline onto any of the bigger ships.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
u do not understand the acc contract. if uconn never gets a invite to a big 4 conf, we need to be in the nbe with a fresh contract from nbc or espn or fox. the accs contract is a no go. also while bball may be great with cuse/wake/duke/bc, those schools are trying to be bad at fball. usf/ucf/temple/bsu/uh/ecu/mem etc etc are trying to be good at fball. give me those in the same boat trying for the same thing, not those just living offs the 70's.

Reaction Score
u do not understand the acc contract. if uconn never gets a invite to a big 4 conf, we need to be in the nbe with a fresh contract from nbc or espn or fox. the accs contract is a no go. also while bball may be great with cuse/wake/duke/bc, those schools are trying to be bad at fball. usf/ucf/temple/bsu/uh/ecu/mem etc etc are trying to be good at fball. give me those in the same boat trying for the same thing, not those just living offs the 70's.

First, the ACC contract will be ripped up if those teams leave. Secondly, the ACC will become THE basketball conference. Third, the idea that a small team like UConn or whoever is going to come out of the Big10 or SEC or other Big4 conference as one of the playoff teams is totally farfetched. It will be more traditional schools. UConn football has a much better chance going 12-0 in the ACC and being ranked #4. Will the money hurt UConn? $17 million rather than $20 million or $25 million is not going to end UConn football, and I suspect the basketball side will ramp up.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
First, the ACC contract will be ripped up if those teams leave. Secondly, the ACC will become THE basketball conference. Third, the idea that a small team like UConn or whoever is going to come out of the Big10 or SEC or other Big4 conference as one of the playoff teams is totally farfetched. It will be more traditional schools. UConn football has a much better chance going 12-0 in the ACC and being ranked #4. Will the money hurt UConn? $17 million rather than $20 million or $25 million is not going to end UConn football, and I suspect the basketball side will ramp up.

a 12-0 team from a crappy acc unless its miami(who won't be playing fball for the next 10 years all the rumors point to, more news is going to drop on them soon) will never crack the top 5. u guys are still living on bball. i love uconn bball as much as the next guy, but we can schedule a tough ooc and live in the nbe for bball and do just fine. once the big 4 expand there each after next tv contract going to be looking at 25-30 mil atleast each. also with the bowls now being set up like they are those teams per year are going to be getting 35-40 mil each at the end of the day. the crappy acc will get 15-20 at the end of the day. thats a HUGE difference. the nbe can hold tight together and kill off duke/bc/wake...get that same 15-20 but have teams that actually have shown somwthing in fball like uh/bsu. 12-0 vs a couple quality schools on the sos might get a nbe team in the top 5 and a shot at a playoff bid. the nbe has a better chance of getting a team in the playoff and a better chance at more $$ from tv. uconn has great tier 3 $$ from bball mens and wmens with sny and w/e else. that tier 3 $$ in the accs contract gets spread(i think right?). uconn can make more $$ in the nbe and have a better/tougher schedule in the nbe. stop living on bball. our bball programs can live as indys if we have to. but with temple/cincy and possibly lville we will be just fine, not to mention the rise of usf and uh lately and add memphis.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
It's not a sure bet that the NNBE football will be any better than the ACC. They might be a bit better, but they're both crappy football conferences, and if they both exist 10 years from now they will continue to be crappy football conferences. Sure, there's some potential in UH, Boise is obviously a solid add but the rest are completely "on paper".

As far as $$$... the BE prez's decided to go to market after the PAC12 deal but it's not obvious to me that if the NNBE holds together it'll be anywhere near what the top 4 get, or even that much better than the ACC. UConn doesn't have to worry about how is it going to et 40 million a year, because it's not going to get 40 million a year. As far as tier 3 in the ACC, my understanding is that UConn would control its SNY stuff the way their bball schools do (and the FSU guy was wrong about their own tier 3 deal at one point).

To me, the academics of the ACC plus having more regional rivalries (esp. if Rutgers comes with us) outweighs playing Boise once every few years and even a few million dollars. And sorry Dan, I doubt that the main decision makers (Herbst, the trustees, gov. Malloy) are going to base the decision on which conference UConn has a better chance of being ranked top 5 in. PP/WM (and JC/GA) will have input but aren't making the decision. Of course if the NNBE gets a good contract and signs grant of rights to guarantee stability, the decision makers will have to decide based on all the facts at hand.

Reaction Score
Love for a purged ACC is making me nauseous. You people out of your minds?! There will be nothing left! The B1G strives to have strong football, basketball and hockey programs. Exactly what UConn is aiming for.

Reaction Score

Wake is not trying to bad at fball. We have basically renovated our entire stadium. New fieldhouse top 10 in size in cfb video board. Hired new coaches. We are improving we just lack the fan base.

Reaction Score
Love for a purged ACC is making me nauseous. You people out of your minds?! There will be nothing left! The B1G strives to have strong football, basketball and hockey programs. Exactly what UConn is aiming for.

Hold up... I don't know that anyone has weighed ACC v. Big Ten.. we are discussing ACC versus the "New Big (Frankenstein) East" That said... in the various ACC implosion scenarios, UConn is far from assured a Big Ten invite... and I'd still take the rump ACC schools over the FrankenEast under either conferences umbrella. Yes in the event the ACC completely implodes, the Big Ten would be prefered, but if that invite doesn't come... would you rather a relationship with BC, Syracuse, Duke, and Miami or SMU, Houston, and Memphis? To me that's a no brainer.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Here's the thing.... if the Big East had made a Sworford type take it or leave it, it's now or never to Kansas and Kanas St. when Big 12 was on the brink of collapse, the Big 12 breaks up, Syracuse and Pitt stay, and we are not in the nightmare conglomeration. Instead, the Big East promised to be a safety net for the B12 and helped to stabilize it. It's amazing to me that Big 12 has come back to be a major player but a big reason for that is that the BE with it's not ready for pirme time leadership squandered another opportunity to stabilize itself.

Reaction Score
Here's the thing.... if the Big East had made a Sworford type take it or leave it, it's now or never to Kansas and Kanas St. when Big 12 was on the brink of collapse, the Big 12 breaks up, Syracuse and Pitt stay, and we are not in the nightmare conglomeration. Instead, the Big East promised to be a safety net for the B12 and helped to stabilize it. It's amazing to me that Big 12 has come back to be a major player but a big reason for that is that the BE with it's not ready for pirme time leadership squandered another opportunity to stabilize itself.
I think the bigger reason the B12 is where they are is one word, Texas. Once the biggest, baddest football program on the planet decided not to go to the PAC12 that gave the B12 all the stability they needed. Any league with the Horns, and OU, was going to get a seat at the big boys table.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I think the bigger reason the B12 is where they are is one word, Texas. Once the biggest, baddest football program on the planet decided not to go to the PAC12 that gave the B12 all the stability they needed. Any league with the Horns, and OU, was going to get a seat at the big boys table.

Yep but the time to act was while Texas was looking. We had to act that window of opportunity that instability created. Of course that's always easier with hindsight.

junglehusky

Reaction Score
I was talking with a friend who was interviewing for a job. She had an interview at a small lab in Maine that did good work but was hours away from civilization (i.e. Boston). She got the offer but wasn't sure that was the right move... she decided not to go after talking to another scientist who had worked there, who said that because of their remoteness they were desperate for scientists. That way she could turn them down and in case she didn't get any other offers, re-establish contact a couple months later and most likely would still have an offer.

The Big east is exactly like the lab in Maine in this situation. We could have given Kansas an ultimatum and it would have no effect because they know if armageddon happens (like Boise leaving) they can still pick up the phone and call us because we'll be desperate for name recognition.

Reaction Score

What does hockey have to do with it? UConn is joining the top hockey conference in the nation. Surely you don't mean they should be playing Villanova and Temple instead.

Reaction Score
Besides a bit of schadenfreude, how does this help us? I went and read a few articles associated with this news and when they turned to the subject of team movement, UConn wasn't mentioned once. Rutgers and Louisville and ND, no UConn.
Not reading about Uconn going to every conference is a good thing.

Reaction Score
I agree with that 100%. I just don't get all of the rumors that have floated around for about 6 months now, stating that ACC would be the conference of choice for ND if they ever decided to give up independence. It just doesn't make sense at all! I grew up watching ND football, and I can tell you with a high level of confidence that they fashion themselves as a pseudo-Big10 team. If they called the Big10 office for an invite today, they would have a certified-mail invitation on their doorstep the next morning. So to think that ND is going anywhere else but the Big10 seems kind of nuts to me. I have heard recent rumors that state a Big12 with FSU and Clemson on board could have enough (with Texas and OU) to coerce ND into joining the Big12. Maybe, but I just don't see it. To me, that school will fight to the bitter end to be independent, and when the fighting stops (no pun intended), it will be the Big10.
I don't see ND joining and not getting equal or more pay than any other school in the conference... If Texas takes a back seat to the Irish, maybe this happens, otherwise it's the ACC.
Regardless of what the SEC, Big10, Big12 and Pac do, an ACC with FSU, ND, VT, Miami, Virginia, and GT is relevant. Even without, the ACC has at least 3 NC level programs, (FSU, VT, and Miami)...

Reaction Score
VT is a NC level program? VT has had one top 5 ranking in its history, which was 13 years ago with Michael Vick. VT has been perceived to be a top program because the ACC has been subpar over the past 10 years. They are 1-5 in BCS bowls, their only win being over Cincy. Similarly, West Virginia has been perceived as a top program due to the weakness of the Big East, although they are 3-0 in BCS bowls with wins over Georgia, Oklahoma, and Clemson.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Hold up... I don't know that anyone has weighed ACC v. Big Ten.. we are discussing ACC versus the "New Big (Frankenstein) East" That said... in the various ACC implosion scenarios, UConn is far from assured a Big Ten invite... and I'd still take the rump ACC schools over the FrankenEast under either conferences umbrella. Yes in the event the ACC completely implodes, the Big Ten would be prefered, but if that invite doesn't come... would you rather a relationship with BC, Syracuse, Duke, and Miami or SMU, Houston, and Memphis? To me that's a no brainer.

It is a no-brainer. I'd rather be in a conference with North Carolina, UVA and the MAC schools than in the NBE. Recent football success is irrelevant. What matters is associating with flagship universities with national reputations. Our stated goal with UConn 2000, which gave birth to our FBS efforts, was to be like Virginia and North Carolina. We are a basketball centric athletic department. The only reason we even play FBS football is to gain associations with major research universities that also play FBS football. Not to gain associations with glorified community colleges and commuter schools like Boise, Memphis and Houston. Nobody in their right mind expects UConn to become a football power.

Yes, the Big Ten is a fantastic result in the unlikely event that we get an invite. In the the real world however, nothing is better for UConn than FSU and Clemson bailing on the ACC, leading them to add Uconn and Rutgers. The entire original Big East (minus West Virginia and Temple) would be reunited with several excellent universities along the east coast. It's what the Big East football conference always dreamed of being.

Now here is part 2. UConn and Rutgers to the ACC collapses the BE. The hoop schools will split off. Notre Dame will be forced to a conference. I doubt that the B12 will add them just for olympic sports. Imagine the options available to them. 1. join the Big Ten 2: join the ACC. Could Notre Dame pull Penn State to the ACC? Maybe. The latter would create the true Eastern league everyone has been pining for. The TV contract would be better than fine.

junglehusky

Reaction Score
I don't think Penn state would leave the B1G for any reason outside of hostile aliens invading Chicago (but leaving the east coast alone for once), but I like the rest of your post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom