Things that decided the game | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Things that decided the game

Reaction Score
The only thing I’ll say is that it does kinda suck we lost to a team that traveled all the way from the west coast for an early start and had 2 days to prepare. We had triple there time so that kinda blows

Reaction Score
The only thing I’ll say is that it does kinda suck we lost to a team that traveled all the way from the west coast for an early start and had 2 days to prepare. We had triple there time so that kinda blows

Especially when our style of play is supposed to wear teams down. That's the point of playing 11 players.

Reaction Score
For me this game proved we are just not there yet. Getting closer each game, but still just not there. I give huge props to Zona coming in our building and not folding under fan, player and game pressure.

I'm not upset, frustrated yes, but not angry. Hurley inherited some bad player habits, that unfortunately surfaced at inopportune times today. Carelessness, lackadaisical defense, selfishness, panic, etc... are some of the 'old' issues I saw. Most glaring however was leadership, that player who can calm the young'uns down and show them how to win.

Miller's team has all new players but they are his players (i.e. recruits) and he can coach them through the stress particularly on the road knowing that they should respond. Our players seemed to tune Hurley out when things got tough (not on purpose).

Anyway, I really don't think we will lose these types of games come conference time. Or will at least play much more cohesively. This was a very good lesson on how to lose (or better how not to be able to win). Meaning AZ didn't really beat us we beat ourselves. However Zona played their arses off, and made those free throws and made less mistakes.

We may need to pump the brakes and just enjoy the show, we are not who we used to be and will get better, much better! I see 2 or 3 years but being patient ain't easy, when you see the future and how good it looks.

Reaction Score
My view from section 227:

If we have next year's Polley and Gilbert, we win;
We have nobody who defends the low post well. They either get lost or get into foul trouble;
Sid and Cobb were huge in the first half;
The crowd really was great today;
We played better D in the second half, but the first half was filled with guys who overhelped or simply drifted too far from their man to recover;

Thats all I got.

Reaction Score
Our guards, all of em need to look in the mirror. Can you make two free throws? Do you make unforced turnovers on passes repeatedly? Can you hit open 3's? Do you dribble into traffic and turn it over or get called for charging repeatedly? Do you foul a 3 point shooter ever? Can you defend and keep your man in front of you?

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
+ awful shots from Vital. 7 Box Score TO's but how many 'real' TOs?

Dude was brutal today. At least Al was finding open 'mates in the 2nd half
He had 7 turnovers.
But in your zeal to place the blame entirely on him, you're imagining the rest of his game being terrible.
He shot 50% overall, 50% on 3s, went 3 for 3 at the line and pulled down 3 boards.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Vital - 7 turnovers

Jalen - 5 turnovers & yes 21 points but missed FT in crunch time a killer

AG - 3 for 12

Tarin - 5 points, 2 asst in 30 mins

Our supposed strength wasn't up to the challenge today.

Cobb, Polley & Wilson gave us a combined 27 pts, 15 Reb and 1 turnover so I can't fault any of them.
And they all on the bench.

Reaction Score
Tarin's foul was huge but I am really impressed with our front court. They are not getting dominated on the boards.

Reaction Score
+ awful shots from Vital. 7 Box Score TO's but how many 'real' TOs?

Dude was brutal today. At least Al was finding open 'mates in the 2nd half

Yeah agree AG was better 2nd half but 1st half we was even more dreadful that CV. Jalen missed 5 wide open 3's probably should've passed up the last 2 he wasn't close. Tarin Smith played ok on D but 5 & 2 not good for 30 minutes. BrAdams threw that airball looked nervous never saw the floor again I don't think.

Reaction Score
1) foul shooting
2) a really bad stretch with about 10 minutes to go
3) The two missed travels before the foul on the three-point shot
Also the beginning of the 2nd half we missed like 5 or 6 three point attempts in a row. Looked like last year's team.

Reaction Score
Missed free throw by Adams and dumb foul by Smith on the three. Let him take that three it was super deep. Team know take away dribble penetration from UConn and they will turn it over.
Everyone sucked at the line

Reaction Score
Gilbert was a mason today with all the bricks he tossed.

Gotta hit something to count as a brick. Holy moly was he off. And he's been surprisingly pure from the outside prior to today. I don't know whether he was rattled from bouncing his head off the floor or what but a couple of those wouldn't have been close if he was shooting on a hula hoop.

Reaction Score
Our guards forcing way too much and Arizona's defense. They deserve a tremendous amount of credit for their defensive effort today.

Reaction Score
Alterique Gilbert.

I thought he started off playing fairly uncontrolled. Hit his head. And was the ONE thing that crucially left us bereft against a fairly good team. We are a new club - basically - and playing different roles and differently together. We saw many positive signs today and prior to this game. I do think we can expect more consistency from Carlton and Cobb from here on; neither are playing to last years mediocrity; I do see hope for both. Maybe someday it will be in the same game. Sidney Wilson was a revelation today. And while, Jalen Adams could take over that game like previous UConn greats, he played well. I accept Vital for who he is; his passionate fire is a welcome difference from others.

But Gilbert today was out of sync early; out of sync shooting totally; and looked groggy after the head crash; and out of sync when we needed him. He plays more controlled and better floor-manager and UConn is a much better club. His defense was reasonably good today on the little guy.

Reaction Score
We're going to be OK.

That said we need to improve our foul shooting.
3 point shooting was poor.
Polley was not nearly aggressive enough in the first half.
A few drives should have been kicked out.
Gilbert didn't have his best game.
And the ball was just not bouncing our way early on.

And we're going to be OK.

Reaction Score
The team never was never able to hold on to any momentum either. Whenever I thought they could go on a run it was squashed by a turnover, a silly foul or a defensive mistake.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom