OT: - Things Somehow Get Worse at Alabama | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Things Somehow Get Worse at Alabama

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
IANAL, but I believe the difference between Miles and Miller from a legal standpoint is that Miles knew what his friend was planning on doing with the gun, which makes him an accessory, while it seems Miller has argued that he didn't know anything about the situation and was just simply bringing Miller his "property" because he asked him to.

Now, I personally don't believe for a second that Miller didn't know that something was going down. Regardless, if I'm a head coach or school admin and you are handling and randomly bringing guns to people who are hanging outside a club, AND those actions lead to a woman being murdered, you are off the team immediately, charge or no charge. I think it's insane that he is still playing basketball for Alabama.
From my understanding Alabama and their lawyers seem like they're arguing Brandon Miller had zero knowledge of the gun. He was just there to pick up Miles. Never saw the gun, never saw the text, never blocked the victims car from leaving. I find that all hard to believe but it seems to be the story they're rolling with.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
An SEC athlete gets to make up such a ridiculous story and get away with it. I wouldn't recommend anyone else try an alibi this stupid if they are ever an accessory to a felony.
Yeah, only an SEC athlete can do these things and you are one of the guilty before innocent judge
If Miller is in the wrong - it will come out - 99% of the time it does
Yet in 1982 Hawkins and Peyton of Cuse allegedly raped a young woman in Hartford but somehow she decided right before the trial to refuse to testify. When was Cuse in the SEC?

Reaction Score
If he’s done it all year, that means it wasn’t done in reference to the crime committed by his former teammate.

Yes, it’s a bad look now and is incredibly stupid, given current circumstances.

If Miller didn’t break any laws, there isn’t any reason for him not to play. But this story just won’t go away.
Pretty sure giving someone a gun is a chargeable offense.....

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
From my understanding Alabama and their lawyers seem like they're arguing Brandon Miller had zero knowledge of the gun. He was just there to pick up Miles. Never saw the gun, never saw the text, never blocked the victims car from leaving. I find that all hard to believe but it seems to be the story they're rolling with.
Originally Miles told two different stories about Davis getting shot. When police detective Culpepper told Miles they had surveillance video from the bar and MIller's dash cam Mile admitted to contacting Miller to bring him his gun.

Darius Miles asked Brandon Miller to bring gun used to kill Jamea Jonae Harris, police testify

There was another article which I couldn't find that a text on Millers phone indicated the gun was loaded. Add that Miller's car blocked the road and it certainly points to involvement and the appropriate action is to suspend Miller from the team.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Thank god they didnt make impermissible texts or phone calls to a recruit though. Thats when Ncaa really puts the hammer down.
Well, until after they punish us for it. Then they stopped caring.

CL82

Reaction Score
A pre-game patdown under normal circumstances is clever and fun. Get your panties out of a bunch.
And a pre-game pat down ritual after a former teammate just shot and killed a girl is stupid and insensitive. Maybe your sanctimony isn’t warranted?

CL82

Reaction Score
Originally Miles told two different stories about Davis getting shot. When police detective Culpepper told Miles they had surveillance video from the bar and MIller's dash cam Mile admitted to contacting Miller to bring him his gun.

Darius Miles asked Brandon Miller to bring gun used to kill Jamea Jonae Harris, police testify

There was another article which I couldn't find that a text on Millers phone indicated the gun was loaded. Add that Miller's car blocked the road and it certainly points to involvement and the appropriate action is to suspend Miller from the team.
You would think so wouldn’t you? At least, until some kind of resolution regarding his involvement took place. The problem is at this point in the season, that’s not happening before Alabama season is over.

Reaction Score
So Miller saw the text to pick up Miles but not the text to being the gun? So Miles stores his gun in Miller’s car?

Sorry, but if someone tells u to bring a gun to a bar at 1am, how does a reasonable person not assume something is going down?!

If Alabama wasn’t a top team I wager this gets handled differently.

Reaction Score

I totally agree he shouldn't be playing and the way Oats has handled this is fireable IMO. The University and lawyers seem to be saying Miller was unaware of everything. Miles never told him he had a gun when he was in Miller's car with him, the gun was covered by clothes, and Miller was already on his way to pick Miles up so never saw the text about bringing the gun, and never obstructed the car.

I get the sense police don't believe them but still don't think they have enough to charge him.

Reaction Score
So Miller saw the text to pick up Miles but not the text to being the gun? So Miles stores his gun in Miller’s car?

Sorry, but if someone tells u to bring a gun to a bar at 1am, how does a reasonable person not assume something is going down?!

If Alabama wasn’t a top team I wager this gets handled differently.
They seem to be saying Miller never saw the text, I think the text was sent 5 minutes before Miller got there and he was already on his way to pick Miles up.

Reaction Score
They seem to be saying Miller never saw the text, I think the text was sent 5 minutes before Miller got there and he was already on his way to pick Miles up.
Ok. Thx. But not plausible to me. Kids don’t just show up at a prearranged place/time like I did before cell phones. I wonder how many deleted texts there are on the providers servers.

Reaction Score
The pat down, seems pretty insignificant compared to driving friends to a bar where they murdered someone.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I totally agree he shouldn't be playing and the way Oats has handled this is fireable IMO. The University and lawyers seem to be saying Miller was unaware of everything. Miles never told him he had a gun when he was in Miller's car with him, the gun was covered by clothes, and Miller was already on his way to pick Miles up so never saw the text about bringing the gun, and never obstructed the car.

I get the sense police don't believe them but still don't think they have enough to charge him.
I'm quoting the article. It was written poorly but it indicates that in Detective Culpepper's testimony to the court Miles indicates he told Miller to bring his gun.

Finally, Culpepper said, police told Miles that all of it was caught on surveillance video from the Houndstooth Bar and it was then he admitted to being there during the shooting.

Culpepper said some of what happened was captured on dash cam from Miller’s vehicle.

After learning that, he said, Miles admitted to contacting Miller to bring him his gun and said Davis had gotten the gun from Miller’s vehicle.

I'm sure Miles had counsel present during the interview who advised lying would make his situation worse. Additionally I read texts were disclosed and in one of them Miller was supposedly told the gun was loaded. So the University may be spinning the story and perhaps some powerful political figures will get the detective to retract his testimony but as it stands now the court proceeding indicated things were more than just being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Reaction Score
I'm quoting the article. It was written poorly but it indicates that in Detective Culpepper's testimony to the court Miles indicates he told Miller to bring his gun.

Finally, Culpepper said, police told Miles that all of it was caught on surveillance video from the Houndstooth Bar and it was then he admitted to being there during the shooting.

Culpepper said some of what happened was captured on dash cam from Miller’s vehicle.

After learning that, he said, Miles admitted to contacting Miller to bring him his gun and said Davis had gotten the gun from Miller’s vehicle.

I'm sure Miles had counsel present during the interview who advised lying would make his situation worse. Additionally I read texts were disclosed and in one of them Miller was supposedly told the gun was loaded. So the University may be spinning the story and perhaps some powerful political figures will get the detective to retract his testimony but as it stands now the court proceeding indicated things were more than just being in the wrong place at the wrong time.
All the articles I've read about how the events transpired are so poorly written I can't make sense of what happened. The University and lawyers are clearly trying to spin it to make it look like Miller had no knowledge of the gun.

I find it extremely hard to believe he had no knowledge of the gun.

In the article when they say Miles told Miller about the loaded gun are they referring to the text or are they saying he actually told him, like spoke those words to him?

Are they just referring to the text which took place around 5 minutes before the shooting. If that's the only provable communication Bama and Miller may be able to hide behind saying he knew nothing.

Reaction Score
They weren't making fun of her. It's a tradition that they (and many other players) do every game. It was boneheaded and insensitive, not "making fun" of anyone.

I literally did this exactly same intro on senior night when I played in college and my sister was in prison on a murder charge... didn't think anything of it (I never got to start any other games lol).

The only thing that needs to happen here is a brief public apology and we move on with concern over the actual crimes that were committed.
Ok, I'll concede that it may have been routine, but STILL, how does the university not go into emergency protocol and cancel any suggestive mannerism? Especially after the backlash from Oats' insensitive presser and not suspending Miller at all. Just a really, really bad look after all that's been happening. You cannot possibly defend that. The gun culture needs to be eradicated there.

Reaction Score
Ok, I'll concede that it may have been routine, but STILL, how does the university not go into emergency protocol and cancel any suggestive mannerism? Especially after the backlash from Oats' insensitive presser and not suspending Miller at all. Just a really, really bad look after all that's been happening. You cannot possibly defend that. The gun culture needs to be eradicated there.

Like I said in a other post... Apologize and move on. It was a silly thing to overlook. Mistakes happen. I care that someone got murdered and no action is being taken by the university. I do not care that they overlooked a weird pre-game tradition.

I haven't at any point "defended" it. I said it was stupid from the start.

Reaction Score
You seem to be missing the point. These are not normal circumstances so therefore better judgement should have been used

I understood the point completely. If anyone is missing the point, it's you. Of course better judgment should have been used. I dare you to find a single post on here where I said it WASN'T stupid thing to do.

The person I responded to when I said this claimed that a pregame patdown is "insane" under normal circumstances. That was a stupid take.

Did you bother to read what I was responding to? Because what you're saying is equally as stupid.

Reaction Score
They've done it all year...many teams do it. It was a boneheaded, cringey error from the walk-on and Miller. There's nothing to see here. This mistake is harmless compared to the last one.

If it was our playerd I'd say the same thing "oof, not so bright man." And move on.

The level of outrage I'm seeing over this online is out of line. Stupid mistake. Move on.
The kid is literally partly responsible for a young mother’s murder and that’s what he does? That’s beyond “boneheaded”, “cringey”, and “not so bright”. More like “what farking planet are you living on?”

I’m glad we have never had to deal with murderers on our team. I know my reaction would be much more severe than “move on”.

Reaction Score
The kid is literally partly responsible for a young mother’s murder and that’s what he does? That’s beyond “boneheaded”, “cringey”, and “not so bright”. More like “what farking planet are you living on?”

I’m glad we have never had to deal with murderers on our team. I know my reaction would be much more severe than “move on”.

What do you want? Suspend him from the team for being an idiot but not for delivering a murder weapon? You're focusing on the wrong . Focus on the actual crime, not a stupid kid acting like a stupid kid.

Like I said before. The answer here is simple: apologize publicly and move on to what is actually important.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom