Things I love and hate | The Boneyard

Things I love and hate

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Love:
In your face man to man defense. So glad they have lost most any zone they played so much last year. UConn bball is in your face man to man defense.

How fast they get the ball down the court and into offense - whether it's running for a break or just getting it down the floor after a made basket, just so much better than walking up the floor and waiting for the defense to set up.

Aggressiveness of the bigs down low. Not always effective yet, but so much different than never using bigs. No passing around the perimeter waiting for a guard to jack a hero ball late in the shot clock.

Intense rebounding on both sides. How many more offensive rebounds have we seen this year vs the last couple years.

Beating teams we are supposed to beat handily without the game ever being in question.

90+ points against bad teams.

Having a team that is energized and excited to play. I've watched more of the games this year already than the last two years combined.

Hate:
Losing guys on switches for wide open threes.

Over penetration that leads to turnovers and easy baskets.

Defense that loses focus and allows easy baskets or leads to fouls from the bigs trying to erase mistakes.

Missing free throws.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Spot on analysis. Our perimeter defense needs to improve. Vital and Adams need to stop gambling so much and rotate and get their hands up, stop giving up open 3s. Something that is not fixable is that our guards just don’t have much length(something Bouknight will improve) B Adams has size but isnt very agile, constantly getting beat his minutes will be limited against top competition imo. Also, Why was Cobb/Carlton hedging on the perimeter in 4 guard lineups leaving the basket wide open? That can not be by design.

No grips at all about our offense, offense is stellar. We have so many ways to score the ball. Even when everything breaks down in the half court we have multiple pieces now who can create their own shot.

Reaction Score
Spot on analysis. Our perimeter defense needs to improve. Vital and Adams need to stop gambling so much and rotate and get their hands up, stop giving up open 3s. Something that is not fixable is that our guards just don’t have much length(something Bouknight will improve) B Adams has size but isnt very agile, constantly getting beat his minutes will be limited against top competition imo. Also, Why was Cobb/Carlton hedging on the perimeter in 4 guard lineups leaving the basket wide open? That can not be by design.

No grips at all about our offense, offense is stellar. We have so many ways to score the ball. Even when everything breaks down in the half court we have multiple pieces now who can create their own shot.

My thoughts exactly with Cobb/Carlton hedging - got beat every single time on that tonight

C

Chief00

Love:
In your face man to man defense. So glad they have lost most any zone they played so much last year. UConn bball is in your face man to man defense.

How fast they get the ball down the court and into offense - whether it's running for a break or just getting it down the floor after a made basket, just so much better than walking up the floor and waiting for the defense to set up.

Aggressiveness of the bigs down low. Not always effective yet, but so much different than never using bigs. No passing around the perimeter waiting for a guard to jack a hero ball late in the shot clock.

Intense rebounding on both sides. How many more offensive rebounds have we seen this year vs the last couple years.

Beating teams we are supposed to beat handily without the game ever being in question.

Having a team that is energized and excited to play. I've watched more of the games this year already than the last two years combined.

Hate:

Defense that loses focus and allows easy baskets or leads to fouls from the bigs trying to erase mistakes.

Missing free throws.

Excellent post - a homerun!

Reaction Score

It is by design. That's Hurley style defense. They double on screens way away from the basket, and have a long recovery. It's up to the other players to rotate, which they're not.

And the timing on hedge can be tricky. It's a VERY difficult style of D. But incredibly effective if done well. It will take time.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
My thoughts exactly with Cobb/Carlton hedging - got beat every single time on that tonight

May not be THE solution but you saw a glimpse of the future against teams with "bigs" who hang on the perimeter and back cut.

Wilson at the four and Polley at the 5 with three guards. For this season, it's UConn's "best" defensive alignment against smaller, quicker opponents. Expect to see this rotation once each half to see how it works. Offensively it's five out, zero in with plenty of cuts, off the ball movement and penetration.

Reaction Score
Love:

Hate:

Missing free throws.
Turnovers trending as of late

Reaction Score
May not be THE solution but you saw a glimpse of the future against teams with "bigs" who hang on the perimeter and back cut.

Wilson at the four and Polley at the 5 with three guards. For this season, it's UConn's "best" defensive alignment against smaller, quicker opponents. Expect to see this rotation once each half to see how it works. Offensively it's five out, zero in with plenty of cuts, off the ball movement and penetration.
Prefer Whaley at the 5 for this

Reaction Score
It is by design. That's Hurley style defense. They double on screens way away from the basket, and have a long recovery. It's up to the other players to rotate, which they're not.

And the timing on hedge can be tricky. It's a VERY difficult style of D. But incredibly effective if done well. It will take time.
The key to that is to double the ball HARD. That should make the ball handler retreat and it makes the pass out of the double that much harder, giving the rest of the defense time to recover.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Prefer Whaley at the 5 for this

He may be a better option but until he shows he can play 20-25 minutes per game Polley has that spot.

What's the saying? The most important "ability" is availability or reliability.

UconnU

Reaction Score
Prediction: we come out and aggressively D up Zona like our lives depend on it. I just hope it doesn’t result in us getting into foul trouble. It will depend on how the game is called. Us blowing Umess Jr. out while struggling on D was probably the best result going into a big game. Hurley will be riding their asses all week.

UconnU

Reaction Score
Damnit. Just had to look.

Total offensive rebounds (through 7 games)
2018-19 --> 95

2017-18 --> 63

2016-17 --> 59

2015-16 --> 69

2014-15 --> 50

2013-14 --> 54

2012-13 --> 53

2011-12 --> 98
That 2011-2012 team should have been one of the best Uconn teams ever. I still scratch my head about that season.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Why am I seeing an ad right now for $12 tickets to Sunday's game? We haven't sold that out yet?

UconnU

Reaction Score
Why am I seeing an ad right now for $12 tickets to Sunday's game? We haven't sold that out yet?
Unfortunately not. That’s why I posted earlier that everyone, who can, should go to the game. XL center half empty is like playing on a neutral court.

caw

Reaction Score
Damnit. Just had to look.

Total offensive rebounds (through 7 games)
2018-19 --> 95

2017-18 --> 63

2016-17 --> 59

2015-16 --> 69

2014-15 --> 50

2013-14 --> 54

2012-13 --> 53

2011-12 --> 98

Not disagreeing with the point but I’d like to see the pace adjusted stats. Although that alone is something to discuss.

It is fun watching a UConn team blow out lower level teams and (Iowa aside) score over 80 every game.

C

Chief00

That 2011-2012 team should have been one of the best Uconn teams ever. I still scratch my head about that season.
Calhoun missed so many games throughout that season with a suspension and illnesses, as did Boatright with his suspension. So they never got the usual Calhoun improvement traction.

Reaction Score
Calhoun missed so many games throughout that season with a suspension and illnesses, as did Boatright with his suspension. So they never got the usual Calhoun improvement traction.

Everything prior to the 2017 season this decade has become such a blur to me. But the problems were I seem to remember 1. Post Championship hangover 2. Drummond struggled big time and never became the player he is today until in the NBA. You could count on one hand the strong games he had in a UConn uniform 3. Drummond and Oriakhi never co existed well together. In fact Oriakhi just looked sour all year. The beginning of the end of his UConn career. Coombs McDaniel drama also happened that year which probably played a role in this. 4. Shabazz struggled at times in his first year role as the floor general.

So while on paper 2012 should have been one of our best Drummond and Napier didn't become the players they are today until the following year or two. And chemistry issues.

C

Chief00

Everything prior to the 2017 season this decade has become such a blur to me. But the problems were I seem to remember 1. Post Championship hangover 2. Drummond struggled big time and never became the player he is today until in the NBA. You could count on one hand the strong games he had in a UConn uniform 3. Drummond and Oriakhi never co existed well together. In fact Oriakhi just looked sour all year. The beginning of the end of his UConn career. Coombs McDaniel drama also happened that year which probably played a role in this. 4. Shabazz struggled at times in his first year role as the floor general.

So while on paper 2012 should have been one of our best Drummond and Napier didn't become the players they are today until the following year or two. And chemistry issues.

Dre did well enough to be a top ten draft pick. Boat’s suspension delayed team development. But mostly Calhoun was out too much.

Reaction Score
Spot on jleves.

Add to HATE:

Guys who play within the system while the team is successful to take a 34-9 lead then decide they need to find ways to score and get on the board ruining the team concept that looked so damn good.

Guys who play defense like they did under KO what it was allowed and can still get away with it because they are our best player.

Coach letting a guy (or 2) play too many minutes who was out of control and playing selfishly.

As a side note they can really play defense when they want, at times early on they looked like they had 6 guys on the floor when they opened the game up to a 23-25 point lead. Then they sink back into the old style of selfish one on one basketball players. That honestly scares me that Coach can't get those bad habits out of their system. Not blaming him not his fault at all but the kids, how doesn't a guy like Jalen Adams understand by now nothing but 100% effort all the time is acceptable and will be the only way you WIN?

I will say this, out of the players who returned with habits which needed to be broken the worst may have been Christian Vital. I'm a guy who has ridden him for those displays last year and I will say this, his focus on being the player Hurley wants has been nothing short of impressive. He's worked his tail off to make better decisions and make plays within the system. He's missed on a few but so has everyone else, he has easily been the most complete guy in most games so huge kudo's to CV for being a great teammate and a very solid player. AG was very good on both ends last night minus a couple showtimes but that was the guy we need. Polley had a nice game too, Carlton also.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom