These losses are getting tiresome | Page 2 | The Boneyard

These losses are getting tiresome

Status
Not open for further replies.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
But, how does Cincy get a call from the refs with 12 seconds left in the game?
Because Miller wasn't using his brain: if you foul a guy, make sure you foul him hard enough so that he doesn't score.

Reaction Score
Purvis 5-17
Hamilton 2-11

Damn , try Calhoun it cannot get any worse and Adams has to handle the ball, even though he had that big to. We had 3 straight possessions where the clock either ran out or we had to take a desperation shot. I am disgusted.

and most of those misses were inside the foul line, it's on the players, missed some big free throws as well.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Phil wasn't acceptable. He had a bad game on both ends of the court. Blocked several (and several is kind) times by guys several (several again kind) inches shorter - stupid fouls that got Cincy in the bonus in the first half and we lose. He had a bad game not aceptable.

Reaction Score
Why doesn't Facey play more? He gets the quick hook too many times to me. He actually rebounds, and can finish around the rim

He never saw the court again after his O rebound where he refused the kick the ball out.

Reaction Score
If Ollie isn't going to have this team run an offense then he needs to break up the old boys network on the staff and hire someone who can. Our offense has been terrible for a good portion of his tenure, and a lot of that falls on him. We have 5 guys on this team who averaged double digits last year, and after tonight we'll probably be out of the top 120 on offense overall. It's pathetic.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure it's about coaching though. Ollie and co. have to have plays designed, now if they are good plays or not is surely debatable, but it's not like he's telling Gibbs to dribble until the shot clock runs out, or Hamilton to do the same, or Adams to make a lazy pass. We have had bad coaching in other games no doubt, but this one is on the players. Missed countless easy layups and execution was nothing less than terrible the last 4 minutes.
I agree with a lot of this, but tonight that final "play" was awful that he drew up. My biggest issue tonight was going from a small lineup which was great in the first half to playing Nolan in the second half. If you are rolling with a lineup stick with it.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
AND he knows it. SO senior Nolan you are about to enter the real work worls - what you gonna do?

Reaction Score
If Ollie isn't going to have this team run an offense then he needs to break up the old boys network on the staff and hire someone who can. Our offense has been terrible for a good portion of his tenure, and a lot of that falls on him. We have 5 guys on this team who averaged double digits last year, and after tonight we'll probably be out of the top 120 on offense overall. It's pathetic.

I have no idea what Karl Hobbs and Glenn Miller add to this staff. I sincerely doubt recruits are kicking down doors to go play for Karl Hobbs and Glenn Miller. Player development is poor, in-game coaching is poor.

Reaction Score
This and Temple are wins with AB.

Putting Nolan back in the game for Cincy's final possesion so he could screw up the help side double team was just so fitting for both Nolan's performance tonight and Ollie's insane decision to play him as much as he did when the team was 100 times better with him on the bench.
When Nolan goes up for a dunk he could be knocked 3 feet off course by a sneeze from a fan sitting in the balcony

The dude is straight up weak.

Reaction Score
and most of those misses were inside the foul line, it's on the players, missed some big free throws as well.

Purvis was 1-3 from the line. His is so inconsistent.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
Adams basically blew the game.
He put us up 57-53, he hardly blew the game. That falls on Miller for his failure to foul hard enough to avoid a basket, and for trying to get a foul at the end instead of trying to make the layup.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Ollie, I love you man. The passion for UConn, the recruiting, etc. But please learn how to manage late game situations. And please google "how to run a half-court offense without Shabazz Napier".
Its hard when you don't have a gutty leader who you can turn to SO you answered your own question

shizzle787

Reaction Score
When Nolan goes up for a dunk he could be knocked 3 feet off course by a sneeze from a fan sitting in the balcony

The dude is straight up weak.
Which is ironic because he is one the best at forcing charges.

Reaction Score
Down the stretch we played not to lose rather than to win... And you almost always lose playing that way. We tried to run clock but did so in such a way that we did not give ourselves any opportunity to get a good shot, and in what 3 instances, any shot at all. Just a lethal combination of poor coaching and terrible execution. The losses are tiresome but watching the exact same issues game after game is even more so.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
He put us up 57-53, he hardly blew the game. That falls on Miller for his failure to foul hard enough to avoid a basket, and for trying to get a foul at the end instead of trying to make the layup.
Agreed

Reaction Score
Agreed. Adams did fine. He should have driven to the basket which he is good at rather than trying that pass to Hamilton but the team isn't in it at that point without him.

Reaction Score
God please cut the crap. Cincy just scored freakin 58 points not 98.

We didn't score or get good shots again and ran CRAPPY offense down the stretch.
For you to think that Brimah is not +2 points better than Nolan, especially the Nolan that played tonight is downright insane.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I have no idea what Karl Hobbs and Glenn Miller add to this staff. I sincerely doubt recruits are kicking down doors to go play for Karl Hobbs and Glenn Miller. Player development is poor, in-game coaching is poor.

I don't subscribe that the narrative that we are missing out on recruits because our assistants aren't attractive enough to them. Furthermore, I love how the reaction is "we lose games, ergo our assistants suck". Have you been to a practice/do you know someone who has to back up your assertion? Are they running the wrong drills? Teaching poor technique? Or is this just blowing off steam and frantically searching for scapegoats?

Reaction Score
For you to think that Brimah is not +2 points better than Nolan, especially the Nolan that played tonight is downright insane.

C'mon you're not that stupid are you? Just add 2 point s to this game because of the final score and that's how you come up with the final margin if Ab plays? Wow

Reaction Score
I agree with a lot of this, but tonight that final "play" was awful that he drew up. My biggest issue tonight was going from a small lineup which was great in the first half to playing Nolan in the second half. If you are rolling with a lineup stick with it.
Completely agree - we were in control til he went with the big lineup and Cincy made their run. Nolan and D Ham should never ever be on the floor together - like playing 5 on 3 offensively. Add in Gibbs, who is a good player that needs to be out there but not quick enough to penetrate consistently, and you have the recipe for a stagnant offense.

Reaction Score
C'mon you're not that stupid are you? Just add 2 point s to this game because of the final score and that's how you come up with the final margin if Ab plays? Wow
Wait you do not understand that concept? That when you replace a player who is terrible with a player who is much better you are a better team? And that better player can be worth 2 points more than the bad player in a game? Do you realize how sports work? And how when a player is injured the spread changes because their replacement stinks?

Maybe you just did not watch the game tonight and are still waiting Nolan's charge highlight

You cannot be this obtuse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3