There aint no doubt in no ones mind | The Boneyard

There aint no doubt in no ones mind

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
We had guts, fight, emotion, alot of energy and Paige. The biggest difference last nite was when it got tight, when it looked like we were heading for trouble somebody stepped up and made a play. The biggest difference, we had the better guard play. Our guards made plays and SC didnt. Then as the clock ran down and time was short Super Women took over and thats all she wrote. She is simply amazin. You know its Paige Time when the game is on the line. She does the improbable when the game is on the line.

Some of the posts Ive read bring up the juniors. Well I have a few thoughts on that. Evina needs to get healthy and at this point needs to rest and if that means sit out a couple of games so be it. Can you imagine if Evina and Anna were healthy what might've happened to SC???? Just a thought. We should be able to win the next couple of games without Evina playing. Its more important now to get her healthy for the tournament. As far as our juniors not playing up to our expectations. My feeling is they are what they are and we need to accept that...for now. Im sure they will work hard to improve but until they do be patient and accept them for who they are. I will say this. Liv is not afraid to shoot from the outside and when her shots start fallin....well hey we are going to be alot better. Speaking of better we are getting alot better each and every game and we have so much more to improve on that wont take long, like setting screens. Thats fixable and will be quickly fixed by the coaches. Again imagine what might have been without all those illegal/moving screens.

Alot of freshman have gotten playtime and for good reason. They are making the ball move and their moving themselves just not standing around and watching. They do that because they dont know any better because Geno taught them what to do and theyre doin it without a second thought. Its called execution. They have earned their place on this team. They are makng this team go. While Evina is rested we will see alot more from the other players that are not in the top 7 yet. There is a reason Saylor has been getting time and I think she will be getting more playtime over the next few games. When she catches on at 6'2 with a quick release, well Im hoping she does and can see some minutes in big time games comin up.

There were alot of "IFs" in last nites game as mentioned in other threads. The biggest was Bostons 4th foul being giving to another player. They Boston not being called for charges. Keeping her in the game kept SC in the game. It reminded me of Dungee not being called for pushing off in the Ark game. Not calling that foul kept Boston in the game a little longer then when Boston was sent to the bench with 4 fouls the parade of illegal screens etc allowed SC back in the game. It those are not called UConn couldve won in a blowout. Those illegal screens will be addressed at practice.

So moving forward we are what we are. Your not gonna change your players so you can only accept them for who they are and hope they improve. If they dont improve then... If you cant change your players, then you have to change your players. We proved last nite that we are the best team in the country. We are now 4-1 again top 25 teams and in our only loss we shot over 50% and were in foul trouble. We've come along way over the past few weeks and we're still gettin better every game. Moving forward the coaches will address getting Paige some help and Im looking for some other players to step up and give Paige some help from the outside. For all the great shooters we've seen this season and for all the great scorers weve seen there is not one player who can fill up the stat sheet like Paige can. I guess you can say this is a new Paige in UConns illustrious history.

Reaction Score
I think the negativity aimed towards the juniors (more so CW) is that in big games she is nowhere to be seen.The only big game she has stepped up in so far in her UConn career was the ND game her freshman year. That is not great considering the number of big games UConn schedules so she has played in quite a few. She will get 20+ against teams in Big East and everyone is happy and she is driving to the basket and doing what shes good at, then come the big moments in March she will be nowhere to be seen. That is peoples opinion and so far I am not sure she has done enough to change their minds.
Evina has been good so far but clearly had her worst game for whatever reason last night. ONO did better than last year and her passing from the high post is an improving aspect of her game, its the shot selection that makes people tear their hair out.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I've been concerned about the Juniors and their role for some time...not so much this season; but for next.

This season.with all the injuries, a playing time crisis has been pushed into the future...but the growth in the freshman, even excluding Paige, has been
compelling, remarkable...and Geno, ever the pragmatist, will be compelled to put the best five out on the floor...and he certainly didn't recruit the best shooter in he country, to sit her on the bench.

One can foresee a fascinating depth chart next fall.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
If Nelson-Ododa is going to take those outside shots teams are giving her, she should at least step outside the three-point line. She takes way too many shots with her foot on the 3-point line or just inside it.
It's uncanny. She's made it an art form.

Reaction Score
I wish that I could be as eloquent as you, Tony and dissect the situation as well as you can. You are correct, it is what it is and, frankly, it is pretty darn good. UConn has its own "Wonder Woman". And she is surround by some pretty gutsy freshman who want to play, try, very hard and succeed as excellent Team players. As far as the Juniors are concerned, give them credit as well. Good stuff going on here and we are the benefactors of watching all this come together.

Reaction Score
On the Juniors, they are expected to advance on the court, assume more responsibility off of it, and take more of a leadership role. That started with being leaders of each pod.

As far as their play, I am mildly disappointed. They are clearly very good college players, but all were very highly ranked and I expected a little bit more.

As for leadership, well some have it and some don't. Evina I think has been good with the younger players, but not everybody can be a leader just because they are older than the other players. Christyn and Liv are not IMO natural born leaders. Leadership can also be shown by example, and in the season's big games.

From the coaches comments this freshmen class can into the Uconn family already being very competitive, hardworking, unselfish etc. Beyond their basketball abilities they had "The Right Stuff", if you will. You could almost say they are showing the juniors leadership by example, and in the big games.

So let me throw a thought out there. Next year with three key additions coming in, if you were the coaching staff, who would you be steering them towards, to know what to do, how to prepare, how to be a better "Uconn " player? Would it be the sophomores or the seniors? I vote for the former.

Reaction Score
Paige the Pied Piper will lead UConn for the next 3-4 years. She just has that "it" factor and her teammates will do everything in their power to hang with her. So far the freshman and sophomores are content and competent in their roles. Not so sure about the Jr's just yet

Reaction Score
I've been concerned about the Juniors and their role for some time...not so much this season; but for next.

This season.with all the injuries, a playing time crisis has been pushed into the future...but the growth in the freshman, even excluding Paige, has been
compelling, remarkable...and Geno, ever the pragmatist, will be compelled to put the best five out on the floor...and he certainly didn't recruit the best shooter in he country, to sit her on the bench.

seems like a pretty easy task to come up with a starting five........PB, , ONO AE and CW............I expect Westbrook to go pro leaving NM to be the second point guard with AG the first forward, Mir number two, and DeBerry the first big off the bench...........Anna M, Ducharme and Poffenbarger will fight it out for big shooting guard/wing.........you could make a pretty darn good possibly Top Twenty second team out of this group........

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
An expression I use alot is you plant your seeds and some grow fast, some grow slow and some take a long time to grow. Look at this team. Look at where we were in December and look at where we are now? Its only gettin better folks. A few months back we could see what we had and we dreamt of what it could be. Last nite we get a look of what we are becoming. Our expectations were high and now we are seeing where we're headed. Alot of the top teams are struggling against lesser competition. Alot of teams are playing tuff teams in their conferences. Alot of top teams have a couple of tuff teams in their conference but not alot of really good teams after that. UConn has shown improvement in every game. Theyve shown theyve got the want to. Theyve got all the little things that make a team great when theyre not scoring at the clip we expect....not yet but its comin. Yeah we really good. We just beat a really good team. The best thing about this team is they dont see what we see. Geno does and thats why we will win the NC. We will win the NC because no other team is improving and getting better at the rate we are. When these guys realize how good they are.....look out.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
If Nelson-Ododa is going to take those outside shots teams are giving her, she should at least step outside the three-point line. She takes way too many shots with her foot on the 3-point line or just inside it.
I agree in part, but I actually think she should move a step in the other direction - closer, that is. Boston was generally way off of her, in the middle of the paint, Olivia could have moved in one more step and taken a fifteen footer. She has a high release on that shot (unfortunately not so high around the hoop) and it won`t get blocked. But I agree, the worst shot in basketball is with your foot on the three point line and she does that a lot.

Paige`s three pointer is already legendary, but it was really Liv`s shot, it was open for a moment. She gave it up to Paige in an awkward spot with the shot clock almost expired. Paige then did the practically impossible. Unless, of course, Geno had told everyone that Paige was going to take the shot no matter what, which is possible.

If you followed the 1969 Celtics, you know what I mean when I say that Paige got the Don Nelson bounce!

UConn is using the high pick and roll more now than I can ever recall, but they only have one player comfortable with pulling up with the 15-16 footer if the post defender doesn`t come out. Any guesses who that might be? If I were Geno I would get Nika, Evina and Christyn (and Anna, when she is ready) comfortable with taking that shot. The three point shot has made those kinds of shots kind of an afterthought but it was Paige`s midrange game that won it for us last night.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
We will win the NC because no other team is improving and getting better at the rate we are. When these guys realize how good they are.....look out.

That's the essence...still a long way to go but improving with every game
and learning how to play together and win....impressive for a bunch of frosh.

Reaction Score
On the Juniors, they are expected to advance on the court, assume more responsibility off of it, and take more of a leadership role. That started with being leaders of each pod.

As far as their play, I am mildly disappointed. They are clearly very good college players, but all were very highly ranked and I expected a little bit more.

As for leadership, well some have it and some don't. Evina I think has been good with the younger players, but not everybody can be a leader just because they are older than the other players. Christyn and Liv are not IMO natural born leaders. Leadership can also be shown by example, and in the season's big games.

From the coaches comments this freshmen class can into the Uconn family already being very competitive, hardworking, unselfish etc. Beyond their basketball abilities they had "The Right Stuff", if you will. You could almost say they are showing the juniors leadership by example, and in the big games.

So let me throw a thought out there. Next year with three key additions coming in, if you were the coaching staff, who would you be steering them towards, to know what to do, how to prepare, how to be a better "Uconn " player? Would it be the sophomores or the seniors? I vote for the former.
Your right and that’s soooo sad. I was so happy for Saniya Chong and her great play her senior year and also Kiah Stokes and how they continued to fight and showed everyone that they are excellent players that can be counted on. I know with these two juniors it’s a little different because more was expected from them from the beginning, but I’m hoping for a fantastic finish from them this year and next. Since the beginning of this year, it rubbed me the wrong way, that Evina who transferred in and here in less time became our freshman’s go to ahead of our two three year huskies. I always felt like that was not a good sign.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score

I'm not concerned and here's why. The best players will play. Sure Christyn and Olivia will be seniors, but Aaliyah was in the game at crunch time as was Nika. CW and ONO were nowhere to be seen.

If Evina does not leave, and CW and ONO continue to NOT earn coaches trust, it would not surprise me to see Geno shuffle up the starting lineup.

I was one of the people who said all summer "NO WAY WILL ANNA BE TAKEN OUT OF THE STARTING LINEUP ON DAY 1". I was right but... she quickly was replaced due to an injury. Even before she was replaced, her play was on the decline and Geno did what was best for the team.

CW and ONO are fine in games where nothing is on the line. While ONO was decent last night, CW was less than. I will be fascinated to see how/if they respond, and what happens going forward. I have ZERO concern we won't have a great starting 5, and incredible bench next season. But the actual make-up of the core group really remains to be seen!

Reaction Score
I think we all just need to accept that the juniors are who they are and that they are going to be supporting cast the rest of their UConn careers. It is what it is. If they can play that role to the best of their ability, we will be fine. Liv was better than last year and we need to acknowledge that. I think her transformation to the high post is where she ultimately needs to be and let Aaliyah and Aubrey work down low. That's fine and I have to think the jump shots will start falling for her as she gets into the role. The assists are already happening.

The youth of the team is our future so let's embrace it.. Paige, Nika, and Aaliyah are where the fire and ice is on this team. Azzi is another player who can have the Paige, Maya, DT type impact along with her club coming in next year. This is the reality and its going to be great!

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
seems like a pretty easy task to come up with a starting five........PB, , ONO AE and CW............I expect Westbrook to go pro leaving NM to be the second point guard with AG the first forward, Mir number two, and DeBerry the first big off the bench...........Anna M, Ducharme and Poffenbarger will fight it out for big shooting guard/wing.........you could make a pretty darn good possibly Top Twenty second team out of this group........
Agree with you CBB except for Westbrook going pro, here's why. IF she was 100% healthy, I would agree with your take, but she's not. Few teams would draft her and pay her to rehabilitate while being a roster player. If she's drafted, she will be expected to play and be available for every game. No doubt she'll find out what her projected place in the draft. Staying at UConn would not be the worse thing that could happen. She'd complete her master's degree course work, rehabilitate her knee as close to 100% as it can get, while playing enough minutes every game to raise her draft stock.

That's a tall task as it's been reported that she IS NOT 100 % healthy or close to it. If she goes to the WNBA, she'd be coming off four+ months of daily practice and games with little time for rest before WNBA team practice sessions begin. Not sure if her knees could take another 5 months of daily practice and play at this time. However, after spending 5 years at the college level, I'm sure she's ready to "play for pay."

All things in time. It may be better for her to enter the draft next year as she continues to rehabilitate her knee with UConn's medical staff, and improve her draft stock by playing her senior year. As UConn will have a plethora of guards next year, she will not be asked or expected to carry a heavy or unreasonable load. I think her going pro after this year was the plan, but her knees may have other ideas forcing her to resort to plan B.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Agree with you CBB except for Westbrook going pro, here's why. IF she was 100% healthy, I would agree with your take, but she's not. Few teams would draft her and pay her to rehabilitate while being a roster player. If she's drafted, she will be expected to play and be available for every game.

That's a tall task as it's been reported that she IS NOT 100 % healthy or close to it. If she goes to the WNBA, she'd be coming off four+ months of daily practice and games with little time for rest before WNBA team practice sessions begin. Not sure if her knees could take another 5 months of daily practice and play at this time. After spending 5 years at the college level, I'm sure she's ready to "play for pay."

All things in time. It may be better for her to enter the draft next year as she continues to rehabilitate her knee with UConn's medical staff, and improve her draft stock by playing her senior year. I think her going pro after this year was the plan, but her knees may have other ideas forcing her to resort to plan B.
What you're saying makes sense but look at Morgan Tuck.........I think she had worse knee issues yet turned pro despite that........

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
What you're saying makes sense but look at Morgan Tuck.........I think she had worse knee issues yet turned pro despite that........
True, she threw a 7 on the "come out" roll. She's still having issues with her knees, and hasn't played much the last two years. The Sun gave up on her. I don't remember her having a significant impact with the Storm. Admittedly I didn't follow her (or the Storm) that close last year. Do you think she makes the cut this year? I have my doubts.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Thread title had a triple negative. Lost me right there.

Reaction Score
True, she threw a 7 on the "come out" roll. She's still having issues with her knees, and hasn't played much the last two years. The Sun gave up on her. I don't remember her having a significant impact with the Storm. Admittedly I didn't follow her (or the Storm) that close last year. Do you think she makes the cut this year? I have my doubts.
I really don't follow the pro game very much...........it's a real shame because she is such an intelligent and efficient player that deserves to be on the court playing for somebody .......

Reaction Score
Agree with you CBB except for Westbrook going pro, here's why. IF she was 100% healthy, I would agree with your take, but she's not. Few teams would draft her and pay her to rehabilitate while being a roster player. If she's drafted, she will be expected to play and be available for every game. No doubt she'll find out what her projected place in the draft. Staying at UConn would not be the worse thing that could happen. She's complete her master's degree course work, rehabilitate her knee as close to 100% as it can get, while playing enough minutes every game to raise her draft stock.

That's a tall task as it's been reported that she IS NOT 100 % healthy or close to it. If she goes to the WNBA, she'd be coming off four+ months of daily practice and games with little time for rest before WNBA team practice sessions begin. Not sure if her knees could take another 5 months of daily practice and play at this time. After spending 5 years at the college level, I'm sure she's ready to "play for pay."

All things in time. It may be better for her to enter the draft next year as she continues to rehabilitate her knee with UConn's medical staff, and improve her draft stock by playing her senior year. I think her going pro after this year was the plan, but her knees may have other ideas forcing her to resort to plan B.
Agree and right now the only logical explanation for the last 3 games is her knee. It is too much wear and tear after two surgeries and not playing a full season in 2 years for the day in day out grind that a full season is bringing. She has a great upside still and needs another year to get healthy for it to be realized. A masters is a smart move while playing on a team with a once in a generation backcourt.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
We had guts, fight, emotion, alot of energy and Paige. The biggest difference last nite was when it got tight, when it looked like we were heading for trouble somebody stepped up and made a play. The biggest difference, we had the better guard play. Our guards made plays and SC didnt. Then as the clock ran down and time was short Super Women took over and thats all she wrote. She is simply amazin. You know its Paige Time when the game is on the line. She does the improbable when the game is on the line.

Some of the posts Ive read bring up the juniors. Well I have a few thoughts on that. Evina needs to get healthy and at this point needs to rest and if that means sit out a couple of games so be it. Can you imagine if Evina and Anna were healthy what might've happened to SC???? Just a thought. We should be able to win the next couple of games without Evina playing. Its more important now to get her healthy for the tournament. As far as our juniors not playing up to our expectations. My feeling is they are what they are and we need to accept that...for now. Im sure they will work hard to improve but until they do be patient and accept them for who they are. I will say this. Liv is not afraid to shoot from the outside and when her shots start fallin....well hey we are going to be alot better. Speaking of better we are getting alot better each and every game and we have so much more to improve on that wont take long, like setting screens. Thats fixable and will be quickly fixed by the coaches. Again imagine what might have been without all those illegal/moving screens.

Alot of freshman have gotten playtime and for good reason. They are making the ball move and their moving themselves just not standing around and watching. They do that because they dont know any better because Geno taught them what to do and theyre doin it without a second thought. Its called execution. They have earned their place on this team. They are makng this team go. While Evina is rested we will see alot more from the other players that are not in the top 7 yet. There is a reason Saylor has been getting time and I think she will be getting more playtime over the next few games. When she catches on at 6'2 with a quick release, well Im hoping she does and can see some minutes in big time games comin up.

There were alot of "IFs" in last nites game as mentioned in other threads. The biggest was Bostons 4th foul being giving to another player. They Boston not being called for charges. Keeping her in the game kept SC in the game. It reminded me of Dungee not being called for pushing off in the Ark game. Not calling that foul kept Boston in the game a little longer then when Boston was sent to the bench with 4 fouls the parade of illegal screens etc allowed SC back in the game. It those are not called UConn couldve won in a blowout. Those illegal screens will be addressed at practice.

So moving forward we are what we are. Your not gonna change your players so you can only accept them for who they are and hope they improve. If they dont improve then... If you cant change your players, then you have to change your players. We proved last nite that we are the best team in the country. We are now 4-1 again top 25 teams and in our only loss we shot over 50% and were in foul trouble. We've come along way over the past few weeks and we're still gettin better every game. Moving forward the coaches will address getting Paige some help and Im looking for some other players to step up and give Paige some help from the outside. For all the great shooters we've seen this season and for all the great scorers weve seen there is not one player who can fill up the stat sheet like Paige can. I guess you can say this is a new Paige in UConns illustrious history.
She is more than a "Paige" @Tonyc . She is the whole darn book. A tome even!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom