The Yankees are dead. | Page 4 | The Boneyard

The Yankees are dead.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
The Did Tommy John surgery is a surprise and a big shake-up as he likely will not be back before the All-Star break. I do also agree that it gives Machado leverage; but, I think he has always had interest in the Yanks.

What I do not see is interest in Bryace Harper as the Yanks do not need another big HR bat in the outfield. Got a pair of them already.

As a FYI, Corbin is actually from the Syracuse area and has stated that is dream has always been to play for the Yanks. So, that could help.

The Yanks just don;t seem to be 100% on Andujar, especially in comparison to Torres. There has been talk in the lcoal paper about moving him to 1st or the OF, too. That said, package him and Gray, who needs a change of scenery, for a top-of-the-line starter, coudl make sense if the Yanks do land Machado. Torreyes and Wade can hold 2nd while Torres covesrs SS while Did is out, who by the way is in a contract year for 2019.

Spot on. I wrote that before I learned about Didi so now the Machado pursuit becomes very real. I think they have to offer him market or above market value and even succumb to letting him play short while Didi is out...but only with the understanding that he gets the hell out of short when Didi returns. Not sure how Didi's injury impacts any Andujar trade talk plans. Pre-injury, I thought signing Machado to play 3B and packaging Andujar for a frontline SP was the play.

I actually knew that about Corbin. I would love to see him in pinstripes. Very under-rated starter and would be a very nice 2nd/3rd rotation piece. If they don't trade Andujar for pitching, I'd give Corbin a lucrative 4 year deal and a 2 year deal to Happ and that would likely result in CC going elsewhere. They could still sign 1 or both of these guys this offseason, depending on what they do in the Machado pursuit.

I have no interest in Harper. He's way too expensive, way too fragile, way too polarizing, and plays a position that Yanks have depth. I really hope Frazier can stay healthy and claim LF. If he can't, then I think Andujar's long-term position (assuming he's not traded) will become LF.

I'm really interested to see what they plan to do with Sanchez. His trade value couldn't possibly be lower so I think they're stuck. But they really have to address catcher defense. Most important defensive position on the diamond and the Yanks can't continue to run out a subpar catcher behind the dish and expect different results. I think the front office is souring on him - hence the prolonged stay in the minors this year for "conditioning" - but what can they do? Perhaps standing him up at 1B is an option or shifting Stanton to LF/RF with Judge to free up the 'DH' for Sanchez. It's alarming when our best pitcher has zero confidence in his catcher (and rightfully so). He's not alone either.

Dooley

Reaction Score
I love the Boneyard. The Designated Hitter acronym is Dan Hurley here and only here. Love it!

Reaction Score
Spot on. I'm really interested to see what they plan to do with Sanchez. His trade value couldn't possibly be lower so I think they're stuck. But they really have to address catcher defense. Most important defensive position on the diamond and the Yanks can't continue to run out a subpar catcher behind the dish and expect different results. I think the front office is souring on him - hence the prolonged stay in the minors this year for "conditioning" - but what can they do? Perhaps standing him up at 1B is an option or shifting Stanton to LF/RF with Judge to free up Dan Hurley for Sanchez. It's alarming when our best pitcher has zero confidence in his catcher (and rightfully so). He's not alone either.

Sanchez is only 25 and we have seen he can hit and can throw well from behind the plate. It's his focus that remains the issue. I think he gets one more year to prove himself and could be trade bait in 2020 if he continues to have defensive issues. I think questions around him may have led to the Yanks signing Stanton this year to ensure they have 2 big bats in case Sanchez washes out.

How Yankees' Gary Sanchez intends to fix 1 of his problems over winter

I actually see Stanton to FL before Judge. Judge has the better outfield arm. But, I agree, my preference would be Frazer in LF with the DH sport primarily for Staton; but, Judge and Sanchez going there from time to time to rest. Having a hitter in Frazier versus a power guy is important for this batting order.

I would also take Yapp over CC, though CC's dugout presence is a big thing.

If the Yanks can get Corbin and Machado via FA, thought it would be a bidding war for both. Beyond those two, could the Yanks get and under 30 proven top-of-the-line starter for a package that includes Andujar and Sheffield or Adams. That would be a game changer. Gray can be traded for some combination of prospects, mid-relief help (if Britton, Robertson, etc. land elsewhere) or outfield depth (say Frazier does not come back). Have to also remember that Montgomery should be back at the All-Star break and he has proven to be a reliable back-end starter.

Last edited:

Dooley

Reaction Score
Sanchez is only 25 and we have seen he can hit and can throw well from behind the plate. It's his focus that remains the issue. I think he gets one more year to prove himself and could be trade bait in 2020 if he continues to have defensive issues. I think questions around him may have led to the Yanks signing Stanton this year to ensure they have 2 big bats in case Sanchez washes out.

How Yankees' Gary Sanchez intends to fix 1 of his problems over winter

I actually see Stanton to FL before Judge. Judge has the better outfield arm. But, I agree, my preference would be Frazer in LF with the Dan Hurley sport primarily for Staton; but, Judge and Sanchez going there from time to time to rest. Having a hitter in Frazier versus a power guy is important for this batting order.

I would also take Yapp over CC, though CC's dugout presence is a big thing.

If the Yanks can get Corbin and Machado via FA, thought it woudl be a bidding war for both. Beyond those two, could the Yanks get and under 30 proven top-of-the-line starter for a package that includes Andujar and Sheffield or Adams. That would be a game changer. Gray can be trader for some combination of prospects, mid-relief help (if Britton, Robertson, etc. land elsewhere) or outfield dept (say Frazier does not come back). Have to also remember that Montgomery should be back at the All-Star break and he has proven to be a reliable back-end starter.

I hope he can improve his defense. I can stomach less offense from a C as long as they provide quality MLB level defense. I know it takes the longest time to develop catchers - that's why alot of them are moved out like Harper, Schwarber, etc - because the bat is waaaay ahead of the glove. But hot damn, he was awful in 2018 after facing a ton of criticism for his defense in 2017 (particularly the ALCS).

Agree re: Stanton. He's better off in LF so Judge's arm can be best utilized in RF. Stanton is not a slow poke slugger by any means. LF is still spacious at the new yard but I think Stanton can cover it. Of course the primary worry with Stanton is his long injury list and playing him in the field leaves that exposed a bit. But if they platoon the Dan Hurley (thank you Boneyard for this!) spot between Stanton/Sanchez/Voit or maybe Didi if his arm isn't ready for SS, I'd be okay with that.

Just read an article in the NY Post that two teams with Sonny Gray history that *could* be interested are Milwaukee and San Francisco. Both have pitching coaches who have worked with Gray before and both have a bit of MI depth. Perhaps there is a match there with Milwaukee for Schoop or Arcia or with SFG for Panik, like the article suggests. Also threw Jurickson Profar's name out there, who I'd love to acquire for the versatility and prospect pedigree. I'm not as high on Daniel Murphy because of the defense but do admit his type bat is very much needed at the top of the lineup. Zobrist too and his defense is about league average.

Prior to the Didi news, I thought the Yanks could explore the possibility of engaging the Giants in trade discussions for Bumgarner. He's exactly the kind of pressure cooker front line starter we need. I thought we matched well there if we offered Andujar as the lead guy. MadBum only has 1 year remaining on his current deal so the price wouldn't be as high as a guy with multiple years left. Andujar and a few prospects would, I think, be very enticing to San Fran who desperately need a bat like Andujar's. I wonder if something bigger could be expanded with Gray, Andujar and a few prospects fly out west for Panik and MadBum. I'd have zero issue with extending MadBum at premium dollars for 4 or 5 years if there are any player/agent contingencies involved. He doesn't have trade veto rights but I do think the SFG would listen to his wishes as he's meant so much to that club and city. Interesting food for thought any way.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Wonder if the Yanks would take the "cheaper" route, pass on Machado, but sign Brian Dozier to a more affordable 3 year deal. Plug him in at 2B, shift Gleyber to SS, and keep Andujar at 3B (hope the glove comes). Dozer is a gold glove defender but is more of the boom or bust variety at the plate. With this route, it keeps more dollars available to bolster the pitching staff. Corbin, Happ, Andrew Miller, etc. When Didi returns, they pivot Torres back to 2B and find Dozier a home at one of the corners.

Reaction Score
Caught this in one of the local papers in jersey.

Projecting Yankees' 2019 lineup, roster if they spend big | Harper included

My primary disagreement is the Yanks going for Harper over Machado. The only plus that Harper has for the Yanks is as a left-handed hitter. Machado's bat is about the same as Harper and the can make room for him in the infield if Andujar is moved. Even Machado's growing 'bad boy' image may not be such a bad thing as every team needs one and would balance out Judge and Giancarlo's nice guy view. Plus, Harper would block Frazier getting back to the field (reports are that he is finally at 100%) along with Florial's eventual arrival (I see him replacing Hicks in 2020, whose contract expires after 2019).

Singing Murphy as a infield utility player (filling in at 2B while Didi is out with Torres and Machado splitting time at SS), left bat, and veteran leadership (replacing Walker) is intriguing.

This writer also has Corbin going to the Yanks; but, I believe the Yanks need at least 1 more top of the rotation starter as Severino has yet to prove he can be a #1 starter for an entire season and as Tanaka is one bad pitch away from Tommy John himself.

Now, a trade with the Marlins that would swap Sanchez for Realmuto is interesting, too. The Yanks would get a much better defensive catcher with a slightly higher batting average and a little less pop than Sanchez while a moving away from the pressure cooker that NYC is for baseball may be a better fit for Sanchez's personality. May not be a bad idea.

What I also like in 2019 is that if the Yanks are in it, a mid-season trade may not be needed as they will hopefully be getting Didi (INF), Heller (RHP), and Montgomery (LHP) back by August for a significant playoff drive.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Hope the Yankees sign Machado. We Sox fans have nobody to hate since ARod retired. Actually like ARod a lot as a baseball commentator.
The Yankees need top of the order table setters who make consistent contact.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
One difference between Harper and Machado is that one guy admits to not hustling.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Caught this in one of the local papers in jersey.

Projecting Yankees' 2019 lineup, roster if they spend big | Harper included

My primary disagreement is the Yanks going for Harper over Machado. The only plus that Harper has for the Yanks is as a left-handed hitter. Machado's bat is about the same as Harper and the can make room for him in the infield if Andujar is moved. Even Machado's growing 'bad boy' image may not be such a bad thing as every team needs one and would balance out Judge and Giancarlo's nice guy view. Plus, Harper would block Frazier getting back to the field (reports are that he is finally at 100%) along with Florial's eventual arrival (I see him replacing Hicks in 2020, whose contract expires after 2019).

Singing Murphy as a infield utility player (filling in at 2B while Didi is out with Torres and Machado splitting time at SS), left bat, and veteran leadership (replacing Walker) is intriguing.

This writer also has Corbin going to the Yanks; but, I believe the Yanks need at least 1 more top of the rotation starter as Severino has yet to prove he can be a #1 starter for an entire season and as Tanaka is one bad pitch away from Tommy John himself.

Now, a trade with the Marlins that would swap Sanchez for Realmuto is interesting, too. The Yanks would get a much better defensive catcher with a slightly higher batting average and a little less pop than Sanchez while a moving away from the pressure cooker that NYC is for baseball may be a better fit for Sanchez's personality. May not be a bad idea.

What I also like in 2019 is that if the Yanks are in it, a mid-season trade may not be needed as they will hopefully be getting Didi (INF), Heller (RHP), and Montgomery (LHP) back by Agust for a significant playoff drive.

If given the choice between Machado/Harper, I'd sign Machado 100x over Harper. Yanks need SS/3B far more than OF. I agree with you that Frazier should have a spot open for him and Florial, if he's not traded for a front line SP, in a few years. But to be honest, I'm leaning more towards passing on both free agent giants and spreading the money around better to strengthen pitching and defense.

I'm not so keen on Murphy's defense but his bat would be wonderful at the top of the lineup. Could hit him 2nd. Maybe even leadoff because of the high OBP. He's no speed demon but clubs are shifting away from that in the leadoff spot anyway.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE (1000 more LOVEs) the idea of trading Sanchez for Realmuto. Just swapping out catcher will help the pitching staff. We don't need more home runs. We need better pitching and better catcher defense. Realmuto can hit and will give professional at-bats all year. Plus he can play 1B in an emergency.

Corbin and Happ: completely onboard with both. 5 yrs/$95M for Corbin; 2 yrs/$28M for Happ.

Sign Andrew Miller - 3 yrs/$36M. Would love to bring this beast back to the pen.

Reaction Score
Sign Andrew Miller - 3 yrs/$36M. Would love to bring this beast back to the pen.

I agree with everything except for the last part. Chapman will be 31 next season and with is pitching style and history of knee issues, I think the Yanks need to take a look at the current bullpen and the minors to see who can take over his role by 2020. Thus, I would pass on Miller to save money and to develop what is already on-hands. Of course, I am not Cashman, so its just my opinion.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom