The Yankees are dead. | Page 3 | The Boneyard

The Yankees are dead.

Reaction Score
Boone didn't utilize the team strength early enough: bullpen. Yankee starters era was north of 10.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Still need good starters to win in the post-season.

Reaction Score
Good series. Yankees going to be tough for next decade. Should sign a starter or two.

Boston is legit..but a scary pen. Astros will be rough.

Unbelievably it has now been 14 years and 4 straight games where Boston beat Yankees in NY in the playoffs. Unthinkable pre-2004.

Reaction Score
Boone was a disaster. Yankees need an ace starting pitcher badly they should have already gotten Cole now they need to get MadBum, they'll probably waste money on Harper.

Reaction Score
Good series. Yankees going to be tough for next decade. Should sign a starter or two.

Boston is legit..but a scary pen. Astros will be rough.

Unbelievably it has now been 14 years and 4 straight games where Boston beat Yankees in NY in the playoffs. Unthinkable pre-2004.
Houston is a team without any glaring weakness. Would have liked the Boston pen a lot better if Wright was available for long and spot relief.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Yanks have a few serious problems/ holes to deal with. This falls squarely on Cashman's shoulders.

1. Two quality starting pitchers. Nothing in the minors ready to make the jump. Montgomery may be ready for next season but Tommy John surgery can take up to 18 months for complete recovery. Cash wants to stay under the salary cap but you have got to spend some too get some.

2. A legitimate leadoff hitter and number 2 hitter. Both need to average .300+ for a full season.

3. Sorry to Boone and Girardi but Judge is not a number 2 hitter. He should be hitting in the 3, 4 or 5 spot. Too many solo homeruns - nobody on base.

4. Need a healthy and productive first baseman. Bird is not the answer. Voit looked very good in his time but not sure he is the answer. But I'll play Voit over Bird.

5. And a note to Cashman and Boone - get your nose out the damn saber metrics notebooks and look what is happening on the field. Trust your eyes and your gut.

Rant over!! For now.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Boone didn't utilize the team strength early enough: bullpen. Yankee starters era was north of 10.

Bingo. I'll give him a pass for it to some extent in Game 3 because Severino is the supposed staff ace. I think he was hoping to get through 5 and that Severino would eventually figure it out as he went through the 2nd turn in the lineup. He didn't. But no excuse for last night. CC was not sharp right out of the gate. Left way too many good pitches out over the plate all night. Elimination games have to be managed differently than others. If a SP doesn't have it early, especially one of your mid to back-end rotation SPs, then you need to quick hook him. And especially since the strength of the Yankee pitching rotation is its bullpen, like you said.

Ironically, Cora managed last night how Boone should've. First sign of tiring from Porcello and he was out. Wasn't going to let Judge face him a 3rd time as Ron Darling mentioned last night. Very smart. Brought in his best middle guy to get out Judge-Didi-Stanton then pick and chose spots to get to Kimbrel.

Reaction Score
The Yankees' window is a lot wider than the Sox, who have to start paying up on young players soon. Sox are just a better team right now.

Reaction Score
Yanks have a few serious problems/ holes to deal with. This falls squarely on Cashman's shoulders.

1. Two quality starting pitchers. Nothing in the minors ready to make the jump. Montgomery may be ready for next season but Tommy John surgery can take up to 18 months for complete recovery. Cash wants to stay under the salary cap but you have got to spend some too get some.

2. A legitimate leadoff hitter and number 2 hitter. Both need to average .300+ for a full season.

3. Sorry to Boone and Girardi but Judge is not a number 2 hitter. He should be hitting in the 3, 4 or 5 spot. Too many solo homeruns - nobody on base.

4. Need a healthy and productive first baseman. Bird is not the answer. Voit looked very good in his time but not sure he is the answer. But I'll play Voit over Bird.

5. And a note to Cashman and Boone - get your nose out the damn saber metrics notebooks and look what is happening on the field. Trust your eyes and your gut.

Rant over!! For now.

Relates to your point #2, but I don't think a team built on bludgeoning the opponent to death is going to be as successful in the post season, when pitching is better, than in the regular season. If you're going to win in the regular season, you need people who can deliver singles with RISP a decent amount of the times. That was not the Yankees.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I waited a day. Now it's my time to yell "Aaron Boone!"

Reaction Score
Fans like that are embarrassing, how is the 27 rings even relevant right after you got eliminated.

Reaction Score
They're fans because they want to experience championships. Known in England as "glory hunters". My own brother is a Man City fan somehow, all of the sudden. Used to be into the Yankees.

Reaction Score
Took a day or two to breath; but, have to give credit to the Sox for a great season and a well played ALDS. Cora out-coached Boone, the Sox got better performance out of their starters than the Yanks, and the Sox hitters took what they could get. That said, I think Houston is going to take then in 6.

For 2019, the Yanks need to address a few things:

1 - Starting pitching. Severino's fade during the second half of the season really hurt and now one else really stood out on a consistent basis.

2 - Baserunners. I believe the Yanks score over 50% of their runs off of HR's in 2018. The Yanks need more runners on base so that can score with small ball when their power hitter go cold for whatever reason.

3 - Coach. I say Boone gets one more year. He did not have a great ALDS and the pressure will be on him to improve the team next year.

So, this is my though on next year's starting line-up.

Batting/Fielding

1) Gleybar Torres 2B
2) Aaron Judge RF
3) Manny Machado 3B
4) Giancarlo Stanton D H
5) Gary Sanchez C
6) Didi Gregorius SS
7) Luke Voit 1B
8) Aaron Hicks CF
9) Clint Frazier LF

Pitchers
1) Patrick Corbin L
2) Masahiro Tanaka R
3) Luis Severino R
4) JA Happ L
5) Best of Chance Adams R, Luis Cessa R, Domingo Germán R, Jonathan Loaisiga R, Jordan Montgomery L, Justus Sheffield R

Long Reliever) 2nd & 3rd best of 5th starters noted above
Mid-Reliever) Chad Green R, Jonathan Holder R, Tommy Kahnle,
7th Inning Reliever: Zach Britton
8th Inning Reliever: Dellin Betances
9th Innig Reliever: Aroldis Chapman

Last edited:

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Relates to your point #2, but I don't think a team built on bludgeoning the opponent to death is going to be as successful in the post season, when pitching is better, than in the regular season. If you're going to win in the regular season, you need people who can deliver singles with RISP a decent amount of the times. That was not the Yankees.

I agree on trying to out score/ out homer teams. The Yankees have not had a legit leadoff hitter in several seasons. It costs you come the playoffs. And the RISP stats have not been good for a few years. But this is all on Cashman.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Cora out-coached Boone, the Sox got better performance out of their starters than the Yanks, and the Sox hitters took what they could get. ... I say Boone gets one more year. He did not have a great ALDS and the pressure will be on him to improve the team next year.
Boone is a first year coach of team that racked up 100 wins. Hard to say he didn't have a good year. That said, yeah Cora out coached him with a very vulnerable Red Sox team. Agree that Houston is the favorite in the ALCS.

Reaction Score
Boone is a first year coach of team that racked up 100 wins. Hard to say he didn't have a good year. That said, yeah Cora out coached him with a very vulnerable Red Sox team. Agree that Houston is the favorite in the ALCS.

Its the New York Yankees. The expecation, right or wrong, is to win the World Series each year. Anything less will always raise questions about the Manager.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Its the New York Yankees. The expecation, right or wrong, is to win the World Series each year. Anything less will always raise questions about the Manager.
I'm fine with replacing Boone since I'm a Sox fan. Being a major league manager is hard. Yeah Boone made mistakes but year one, he did a great job. JMHO, though.

Dooley

Reaction Score
I think alot of the Yanks' pitching woes can be traced back to having a mediocre (being kind here) defensive catcher. Pitchers need to be 100% confident that if they bounce one, like they often have to do, that their C is going to block it. Because that confidence is not there, grips and release points aren't as strong, which affects spin rates and velocity. Thus, pitches are left out over the white and can be hammered by good MLB hitting. Not to mention, Sanchez is an awful framer/receiver and struggles to even call a good game. His inability to read hitter's swings and approaches is troubling.

Just give me a catcher who has complete control over the pitching staff and I'll be happy. Hit him 8th or 9th and if he hits .230, that would actually be around a 50 point improvement over what Sanchez provided in 2018.

Reaction Score
DiDi undergoing Tommy John surgery and will be out until summer. Last year of contract. Machado says thank you.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Took a day or two to breath; but, have to give credit to the Sox for a great season and a well played ALDS. Cora out-coached Boone, the Sox got better performance out of their starters than the Yanks, and the Sox hitters took what they could get. That said, I think Houston is going to take then in 6.

For 2019, the Yanks need to address a few things:

1 - Starting pitching. Severino's fade during the second half of the season really hurt and now one else really stood out on a consistent basis.

2 - Baserunners. I believe the Yanks score over 50% of their runs off of HR's in 2018. The Yanks need more runners on base so that can score with small ball when their power hitter go cold for whatever reason.

3 - Coach. I say Boone gets one more year. He did not have a great ALDS and the pressure will be on him to improve the team next year.

So, this is my though on next year's starting line-up.

Batting/Fielding

1) Gleybar Torres 2B
2) Aaron Judge RF
3) Manny Machado 3B
4) Giancarlo Stanton D H
5) Gary Sanchez C
6) Didi Gregorius SS
7) Luke Voit 1B
8) Aaron Hicks CF
9) Clint Frazier LF

Pitchers
1) Patrick Corbin L
2) Masahiro Tanaka R
3) Luis Severino R
4) JA Happ L
5) Best of Chance Adams R, Luis Cessa R, Domingo Germán R, Jonathan Loaisiga R, Jordan Montgomery L, Justus Sheffield R

Long Reliever) 2nd & 3rd best of 5th starters noted above
Mid-Reliever) Chad Green R, Jonathan Holder R, Tommy Kahnle,
7th Inning Reliever: Zach Britton
8th Inning Reliever: Dellin Betances
9th Innig Reliever: Aroldis Chapman

I'm all in on Machado too but only if he agrees to move to 3B. I wonder if they'd ever entertain Andujar at 1B. Or maybe Andujar would be a very enticing lead name in a trade package to acquire a front end starting pitcher.

I love Corbin and think his stuff would play well even in Yankee Stadium. I'm also on-board with re-signing Happ just for his career line against the Sox. CC has been terrific in the clubhouse but his production is way behind his price tag. Time to move on there. I'm a fan of Loaisiga - love the 2-seam movement. If they can't trade for a front line SP, I'm more than comfortable giving him a shot in spring training.

Britton is trash. He'll surely ask for closer money and is not worth it. If the Yanks are going to pay for premium LHP in the pen, put that money in Andrew Miller's pocket. Not Britton.

I'd love to see the Yanks look into a bona fide MLB catcher. I don't know if that means Stanton will have to play the OF so they can DH Sanchez, but I'm more than done with that experiment. There are a few decent names available in free agency (Lucroy?) and JT Realmuto has been available for a year now. Realmuto will cost a top prospect but I'm more than okay with it if it means a marked defensive improvement behind the dish.

Dooley

Reaction Score
DiDi undergoing Tommy John surgery and will be out until summer. Last year of contract. Machado says thank you.

I'd move Torres back to SS before playing Manny there but yeah, Machado just won some negotiation leverage with this news.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Headline: The Yankees are dead. My take: So are the NY Football Giants!!! At least the Yankees waited until the end of the season to roll over and die. The Giants (1-5) drew their last breath last night....... in the 6th week of the season. Not even at the halfway point, and on national TV no less. Colin Cowherd called them a "Dumpster Fire". :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
I'm all in on Machado too but only if he agrees to move to 3B. I wonder if they'd ever entertain Andujar at 1B. Or maybe Andujar would be a very enticing lead name in a trade package to acquire a front end starting pitcher.

I love Corbin and think his stuff would play well even in Yankee Stadium. I'm also on-board with re-signing Happ just for his career line against the Sox. CC has been terrific in the clubhouse but his production is way behind his price tag. Time to move on there. I'm a fan of Loaisiga - love the 2-seam movement. If they can't trade for a front line SP, I'm more than comfortable giving him a shot in spring training.

Britton is trash. He'll surely ask for closer money and is not worth it. If the Yanks are going to pay for premium LHP in the pen, put that money in Andrew Miller's pocket. Not Britton.

I'd love to see the Yanks look into a bona fide MLB catcher. I don't know if that means Stanton will have to play the OF so they can Dan Hurley Sanchez, but I'm more than done with that experiment. There are a few decent names available in free agency (Lucroy?) and JT Realmuto has been available for a year now. Realmuto will cost a top prospect but I'm more than okay with it if it means a marked defensive improvement behind the dish.

Didi's Tommy John surgery is a surprise and a big shake-up as he likely will not be back before the All-Star break. I do also agree that it gives Machado leverage; but, I think he has always had interest in the Yanks.

What I do not see is interest in Bryace Harper as the Yanks do not need another big HR bat in the outfield. Got a pair of them already and the Yanks need baserunniners more that power hitters.

As a FYI, Corbin is actually from the Syracuse area and has stated that is dream has always been to play for the Yanks. So, that could help.

The Yanks just don;t seem to be 100% on Andujar, especially in comparison to Torres. There has been talk in the local paper about moving him to 1st or the OF, too. That said, package him and Gray, who needs a change of scenery, for a top-of-the-line starter, could make sense if the Yanks do land Machado. Torreyes and Wade can hold 2nd while Torres covers SS while Did is out, who by the way is in a contract year for 2019.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom