The World Cup Thread | The Boneyard

The World Cup Thread

Reaction Score
Let’s get some predictions going. I will be pulling for Germany. Which isn’t much different than usual because I usually pull for them after the US bows out.

I am actually starting to get excited about this, I just hope we don’t get expert commentary from Bruce Arena on FOX.

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
I am actually starting to get excited about this

Same -- the opening round is the best part of the tournament for me. The simplicity of group play keeps so many potential outcomes available.

Once it gets to the knock-out stages I always become less interested ...

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
With no US, I'm rooting for Messi.
They are on my short list. Do they have a keeper?

My rooting interests are:

Contenders: England, Belgium, Argentina
Pretenders: Egypt, Peru, Iceland
Root Against: Mexico (the US scores in extra time of the last game to qualify Mexico, they repay us by tanking? No thanks.)

Last edited:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
In case anyone missed it. One Jonathon Gonzalez did not make the Mexico preliminary roster. Guess he wasn't going either way this time.

I usually cheer on a game by game basis. And sometimes for Arsenal players.

Reaction Score
With no US, rooting for golazos from all over the field and feats of incredible team and individual play.

I'll pull for Messi to lift the trophy, but I don't see them stacking up against Spain, France, Brazil or Germany.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I'll be pulling for Iceland. Really enjoyed their Euro run. Also will be pulling for Australia as well. Always seem to be a fan of the underdogs and not the big programs.

Still not sold that it'll be enjoyable to watch on Fox. If there was one complaint, that would be it. I'll miss ESPN and Ian Darke calling games.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Still not sold that it'll be enjoyable to watch on Fox. If there was one complaint, that would be it.
Fox blows. They will do a horrible job. But as long as the cameras stay pointed at the field they can't wreck it.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
With no US and no Italy, I'm going to be rooting mostly for underdogs.

Iceland would be awesome.
Any country from Africa would be awesome.

If all those teams fail, I tend to root for Argentina as a fallback position ("Little Italy"). Forza Messi...

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
With no US and no Italy, I'm going to be rooting mostly for underdogs.

Iceland would be awesome.
Any country from Africa would be awesome.

If all those teams fail, I tend to root for Argentina as a fallback position ("Little Italy"). Forza Messi...
I wouldn't mind seeing Messi get a WC Championship.

Reaction Score
Due to my ancestry and - coincidentally - the club I support, I’m hoping to see Belgium and England go far. There will be current and former Spurs all over the field when they play each other June 28th.
After that, as others have said, would love to see Messi lift the cup.

As for who I think will win, I’m going with the heavy hitters. I think the semis will be Brazil v Spain and Germany v Argentina. A Brazil v Germany final... and Brazil exacts revenge over the last World Cup drubbing by Germany, and hoists the cup. (This hinges on Neymar being 100%).. otherwise I go Spain v Germany and the Germans repeat.

Reaction Score
Whoever he plays for, rooting for this year's version of 2010 Diego Forlan

Reaction Score
For: Argentina, England, Belgium, Portugal (probably in that order)
Against: Mexico, France

Reaction Score
Leroy Sane left off Germany. Theyre gonna steamroll everyone

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Leroy Sane left off Germany. Theyre gonna steamroll everyone
And France.

Germany - Leno, Mustafi, Heinrichs, Sane, Can, Gotze,

France - Digne, Zouma, Koscielny (inj), Sissoko, Coman, Rabiot, Martial, Lacazette, Ben Yedder, Payet

You could make a round of 16 team out of those left behind. Any of them would walk into USA starting lineup.

Reaction Score
Don’t be surprised when Russia gets some really favorable calls through VAR. Video Assists Russia.
Not just VAR, don’t be surprised when Russia gets many really favorable calls in general. Not just the not too unusual host country benefit of the doubt, the refs may not want to leave Russya in a box!

Reaction Score
And France.

Germany - Leno, Mustafi, Heinrichs, Sane, Can, Gotze,

France - Digne, Zouma, Koscielny (inj), Sissoko, Coman, Rabiot, Martial, Lacazette, Ben Yedder, Payet

You could make a round of 16 team out of those left behind. Any of them would walk into USA starting lineup.

Your point -- that the major soccer powers could send out their 4th and 5th teams and still be favored over us -- is certainly accurate, although it begs the question about why, over the last 20 years, our results have been as good as they have overall.

But leave Sissoko off the list. He couldn't walk into the starting lineup for anyone. It's truly amazing how someone with his physical skills can contribute so little to helping a team win.

Reaction Score
For anyone interested - AO Hartford's home bar, Tavern Downtown, has teamed up with ESPN who's sending Twellman and two other unconfirmed talent to host live showings from the bar. The schedule unfortunately follows Mexico through the group stage and includes some of the knockout rounds. Should be a fun atmosphere to watch the games. I know AO is planning to have a presence, rooting against Mexico (of course), and will be providing their drink/food specials and the running food drive to those in attendance. Anyone who donates 3+ food items will have their first beer on the chapter. FB event links below;

Tavern Downtown Event Page

AO Hartford's Root Against Mexico Party

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom