The World According to Phil (Nolan) | The Boneyard

The World According to Phil (Nolan)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
How an article like this can go by without comment while we get the latest updates on stone's love life is beyond me. More smoke for an emerging Facey.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
How an article like this can go by without comment while we get the latest updates on stone's love life is beyond me. More smoke for an emerging Facey.

Must...get...Stone...

Reaction Score
Phil's a dal good guy you could always tell. I'm sure he's a Husky through and through, campus wise etc......great to hear about Kentan from another player rather than JC!! LOL

pj

Reaction Score
Funniest line: "In an odd statistical quirk, in UConn’s 32 wins Nolan averaged 3.9 points and 2.5 rebounds, but in eight losses had just 1.0 ppg and 1.8 rpg."

In an odd statistical quirk, most players on every team in the NCAA, NBA, NFL, and MLB last year had better stats in wins than in losses.

Mazhude

"Bark, Bark!"
Reaction Score
I like to hear this:
One thing that had changed on the Huskies is the leadership with Shabazz Napier on to the NBA and lone senior Ryan Boatright returning to take over the role. “He definitely talks way more,” Nolan said. “You can tell every day in pick-up he’s just trying to make sure guys keep their heads and he’s trying to steer them in the right direction.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Funniest line: "In an odd statistical quirk, in UConn’s 32 wins Nolan averaged 3.9 points and 2.5 rebounds, but in eight losses had just 1.0 ppg and 1.8 rpg."

In an odd statistical quirk, most players on every team in the NCAA, NBA, NFL, and MLB last year had better stats in wins than in losses.

Seriously, that was a ridiculously dumb statement, even for a sportswriter.

Reaction Score
Another statistical anomaly identified by this writer is that on average winning teams tend to score more points than losing teams.

Reaction Score
Nolan getting stronger is a great thing. With experience we should increase our expectations. If he compliments Brimah and the other bigs, our big men will no longer be our weakness. We are already 'very' strong in the guard department.

All eyes on Omar and DHam in the 3 spot. To me that's the focus. If that area produces then the pundits are all wrong, very wrong.

Reaction Score
Nolan getting stronger is a great thing. With experience we should increase our expectations. If he compliments Brimah and the other bigs, our big men will no longer be our weakness. We are already 'very' strong in the guard department.

All eyes on Omar and DHam in the 3 spot. To me that's the focus. If that area produces then the pundits are all wrong, very wrong.

Pundits are saying that Hamilton isn't going to produce?

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
Seriously, that was a ridiculously dumb statement, even for a sportswriter.
In defense of the writer, we do not know if the difference is within the range of a standard deviation or out of its range. One would need to compile all of his game statistics and determine the STD. I would suspect given the low numbers it's out (and as such your criticism is valid) but without doing the work, you just don't know. For all we know, both the high and low are within the STD, so both his argument (low leads to loss) and your argument (high leads to win) are unsupported by the statistics.
Therein lies the problem, the people who use statistics to argue are less likely to understand which method to use or what conclusions to draw from the results.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
In defense of the writer, we do not know if the difference is within the range of a standard deviation or out of its range. One would need to compile all of his game statistics and determine the STD. I would suspect given the low numbers it's out (and as such your criticism is valid) but without doing the work, you just don't know. For all we know, both the high and low are within the STD, so both his argument (low leads to loss) and your argument (high leads to win) are unsupported by the statistics.
Therein lies the problem, the people who use statistics to argue are less likely to understand which method to use or what conclusions to draw from the results.

Although he worded it a bit too strongly, I didn't think it was a dumb statement at all. Most athletes don't average 4 times as many points in wins as they do in losses. Of course, the numbers are small. But still.

Reaction Score

You gotta be careful with STDs.

Reaction Score

its probably true that in losses he played fewer minutes against the better teams. and more minutes against the cupcakes. regardless, its a meaningless stat.

I think that 25 pounds will help him finish around the rim. good for him

Reaction Score
25 pounds in six months (March/September)? That does sound like a lot. Hope his body has adjusted.

Reaction Score
How can you not like Nolan, just a cool dude.

See I see him as the opposite, a totally weird, awkward bird, but he has fun with it and isn't afraid to let out his weird. I've said it before but I find it to be an extension of the weird brotherhood that began with JLamb and Roscoe as freshman, and Oriakhi to a degree too. That shot of him doing the shake to the Nth degree during the 2011 championship run will always be imbedded in my brain

intlzncster

Reaction Score
See I see him as the opposite, a totally weird, awkward bird, but he has fun with it and isn't afraid to let out his weird. I've said it before but I find it to be an extension of the weird brotherhood that began with JLamb and Roscoe as freshman, and Oriakhi to a degree too. That shot of him doing the shake to the Nth degree during the 2011 championship run will always be imbedded in my brain

Apparently, he's a riot to hang out with. And pulls more than his fair share. FWIW, most girls say he's the best looking on the team.

Reaction Score
Really happy Phil stuck around. He has been valuable to this team in more ways than one and I'm excited to see his continued development on and off the court.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
25 pounds in six months (March/September)? That does sound like a lot. Hope his body has adjusted.

He seems to have a good body frame for adding weight. I'm curious to see how his squat numbers increased and other explosion numbers improved to get to his new weight.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
He seems to have a good body frame for adding weight. I'm curious to see how his squat numbers increased and other explosion numbers improved to get to his new weight.

Do they release that stuff?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul