The Vomit Offense | The Boneyard

The Vomit Offense

Reaction Score
Man it doesn't matter what offense we run if we can't put the ball in the rim. Holy smokes! Watching that game yesterday was painful. These are D-1 players...on scholarship!! Whatever happened to pride!? My JV girls basketball that I coach can shoot better than what our Huskies did yesterday.

Reaction Score
bring it down and throw it up. I watch all these other colleges running good stuff, getting open layups, uncontested shots. We don't screen away from the ball. We jog through cuts. It's becoming unwatchable.
It really is garbage stuff, and it starts with the fact that we haven't recruited or developed a single offensive threat down low. They can barely catch the ball cleanly.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It really is garbage stuff, and it starts with the fact that we haven't recruited or developed a single offensive threat down low. They can barely catch the ball cleanly.

Disagree. Diarra had a couple of nice offensive moments, and Carlton has shown excellent hands and a nice touch. What we don't do is run any plays to get them the ball, except once or twice to Carlton when he was way too far from the rim.

Reaction Score
This ^ and not just 102 points yesterday but stopped competing against the Spartans 2 days prior in the 2nd half letting Winston laugh at them.
It’s really worrying cuz Winston is not known as a scorer by any stretch. Great passer though.

Reaction Score
Disagree. Diarra had a couple of nice offensive moments, and Carlton has shown excellent hands and a nice touch. What we don't do is run any plays to get them the ball, except once or twice to Carlton when he was way too far from the rim.
Carlton does not know what to do when he has the ball most of the time.

Reaction Score
bring it down and throw it up. I watch all these other colleges running good stuff, getting open layups, uncontested shots. We don't screen away from the ball. We jog through cuts. It's becoming unwatchable.
Ha, that's a wonderful name for it.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Carlton does not know what to do when he has the ball most of the time.
Hmm, probably because he was recruited and profiled as "unheralded big man that if you start as a freshman against high major opponents will look like he does not know what to do". Putting blame on Carlton for being exactly what he was pegged as being and everyone who wasn't waving pom poms all summer knew him as being is in no way his fault. The front court recruiting has simply been horrendous since Ollie stepped foot here.

But recruiting isn't an issue and two days ago the subject of front court recruiting was touted as "reactionary". Looking at you clowns like polycom.

Attachments

• IMG_0395.PNG
    IMG_0395.PNG
    368.3 KB · Views: 67
Reaction Score
Hmm, probably because he was recruited and profiled as "unheralded big man that if you start as a freshman against high major opponents will look like he does not know what to do". Putting blame on Carlton for being exactly what he was pegged as being and everyone who wasn't waving pom poms all summer knew him as being is in no way his fault. The front court recruiting has simply been horrendous since Ollie stepped foot here.

But recruiting isn't an issue and two days ago the subject of front court recruiting was touted as "reactionary". Looking at you clowns like polycom.
Yeah but people are saying that he is really good with the ball. He has good hands, which I guess is a luxury for us since our recent bigs had boulders for hands, but that doesn’t mean he is someone we should run the offense through.

BUConn10

Reaction Score
Yeah but people are saying that he is really good with the ball. He has good hands, which I guess is a luxury for us since our recent bigs had boulders for hands, but that doesn’t mean he is someone we should run the offense through.
Having good "hands" is like requirement/priority #212 for a starting Big man at The University of Connecticut.

The capital "T" was not a spelling error, it means something.

Reaction Score
I like an both, but neither is threat opponents have to account much for.

Reaction Score
Having good "hands" is like requirement/priority #212 for a starting Big man at The University of Connecticut.

The capital "T" was not a spelling error, it means something.
Respectfully disagree.

BUConn10

Reaction Score
Respectfully disagree.
You disagree about him having good hands? I am agreeing with you that we can't really expect consistent results when we are touting Carlton as the anchor of our front court game to game.

Reaction Score
You disagree about him having good hands? I am agreeing with you that we can't really expect consistent results when we are touting Carlton as the anchor of our front court game to game.
No that it is not important for our bigs to have good hands. Unless I understood your post wrong.

BUConn10

Reaction Score
No that it is not important for our bigs to have good hands. Unless I understood your post wrong.
It's 100% important, but I was agreeing with you half jokingly that "good hands" is far from enough for a front court anchor.

Reaction Score
Offense has always been vomit. We have limited talent to overcome such inadequacies. There are so many reasons why we stink but it always start with the coach. He can't recruit, coach or motivate. I really thought after we won the Championship with Napier that recruits would come flocking our way but I was dead wrong. The second half yesterday was just pitiful. There was no accountability or pride among the players or Ollie. He sat there like a deer in the headlights. Totally lost. Great man but not a great coach. He deserves to ride out the season and unless we do a 180 and make the tournament, he's got to go.

Reaction Score

I'm by no means an apologist after the abysmal performance from the entire team, but when were talking about bigs that's one area you have to cut Ollie and this team some slack.

3 experienced bigs, (yes including Vance), who were supposed to return this year left, and literally every single big we now have are playing their first games as Huskies. I think Carlton has the highest upside but even other teams are recognizing that and doubling him down low.

Let's get Cobb back, show some semblance of consistent defensive rebounding, and get out in transition because obviously relying on our half court offense isn't going to translate to many wins.

Reaction Score
Our offense is terrible, but what's worse is watching how lackadaisically it is run. Watch off the ball. The cuts are done at 3/4 speed, our screeners, more often than not (especially on the baseline) do not actually screen anyone. I watched Larrier "olay" screen for multiple possessions. We run a high screen for our PG most possessions with players who will NEVER be offensive threats. Geez, KO, do you think teams might scout us and decide to double the ball handler b/c David O or Carlton are barely threats from 2 feet away, let alone 22? We did this with Amida for three straight years and wondered why our offense relied on dribbling and shot clock heroics. We have been running the same crap for years; there is no alteration or adaptation for the talent on the roster. Just the same stuff that worked at times when we had at least 2-3 players on the court who could bail us out (Bazz, Boat, Deandre).

And I do not buy the "limited talent" angle. We have two guards who were 4/5 star players, Vital and Anderson who we know are better than their respective rankings and a 4/5 star player in Larrier. Diarra, Polley, and Carlton would be outstanding recruits for many teams. The frontcourt is weak, but we have more talent on our roster than a lot of teams who can actually play half-court basketball. That's on the system, the seeming lack of trust/respect towards the coaching staff, and players who are not being put in their best position to utilize their talents.

Reaction Score
Basketball is pretty simple. You have to have shooters. We have no shooters. We have scorers but no shooters.

We get those same shots Arkansas got last night, and we’d miss them.

I agree that the PnR should be with pg/Larrier, but Larrier is going to actually need to be willing to screen.

I also think Vital needs to start. A good way to address the chemistry issue is to, you know..play the guys that have played together.

I’m not surprised at all by what happened. The team was in a let down mode, we’ve got no offense other than one on one and PnR.

Reaction Score
We played the # 4 team in the country. The offense sucked... translated into horrific defense. Players basically gave up because Ollie didn’t get into anyone’s face and doesn’t have the balls to sit his studs that play like garbage and don’t run the offense. Makes no sense.

We need to put up 100 on Columbia and hold them to 50 for me to gain an ounce of respect back.

Reaction Score
It’s really worrying cuz Winston is not known as a scorer by any stretch. Great passer though.

Yep actually a very nice player, tough competitor but you're right he was at 6.5a game going in and went way off and no one seemed to give a . I mean he's flipping in open 12 footers like nothing and no one is running at him or making a point NOT to let him score, that is scary. We need players with pride man.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom