The View From Section 241 | The Boneyard

The View From Section 241

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
In conference, there is no such thing as a bad win. Ugly win -- sure. That was an ugly win. So reminiscent of the 2005 win that you could interchange the videos and not know which game was which (I'd say except for the weather, but I see that Holtz was using the weather as an excuse. LOL). But we executed well enough to get a lead and hold it, the players showed a lot of heart and desire at a time that they could have packed it in, and the coaches showed some growth by flexibility in letting the D hold a 4th Q lead once you had it in a game in which they were in control, not letting the O lose a game and not blitzing on every damn down. All things that they weren't ready to do a month earlier in Nashville. Were there things to criticize? Heck yes. But on this day we let the other team beat itself with 4 TOs, 2 missed FGs and 9 penalties, and we made enough plays when we had to. And now we're back in the Big East race (but more on that later).

On special teams, the three kickers kicking consistently up to their capability is in and of itself a big step forward because you can only win ugly ball by kicking well. We did. Punt coverage also looked a bit better, though I had trouble seeing who the gunners were on the TV coverage. Kickoff coverage -- well, I've been saying all year our guys in the middle are too small, we're not busting up wedges and we were going to get beat up the middle. But for a great effort by Gratz to not give up on the play and USF not converting on the short field, that could have cost us this game. Could we please, please change the scheme? Our returns just get worse and worse. I don't even know what to say. But overall the FG kicking, ours and theirs, was a huge difference, maybe "the" difference, in the game. I still think better special teams play is needed, but I still don't see why that isn't possible.

The D was great, just absolutely great, in the first half, and solid enough to get us the victory in the second. Making Daniels throw into more packed coverage was the right move, especially because you don't always bring him down when you get to him on a blitz anyway. I thought Jennings had his best game since Joseph came back. Trevardo makes more and more plays (still needs to be a little more careful about protecting the edge on the pass rush). Byron Jones looked light years better witht the extra week at corner. Tymeer Brown looks so good that, when Blidi is back, I am really tempted to move Jones back to Junior's spot and start Jones and Brown as a pairing that will stay together for years. And Dwayne Gratz really did step up his play.

On O, yes, they didn't score an offensive TD for the second straight week, but, but, but .... The run blocking was the best it has been this year, and McCombs looked the sharpest and most decisive he has by far. The answer to "what other BCS team would he be starting for" is that within our conference he would be starting or challenging for the job at USF, RU, and LV. His pass blocking is absurdly bad at this point, but he is going to have a good career carrying the rock. He may not be Todman or Brown (although he will have far more yards as a frosh than either, and possibly more than the two of them together), but he absolutely can be Brockington or Dixon. McEntee was good throwing the ball. But for the horrible drop with room to run by I. Moore, receivers were fine. The problem was the pass blocking, which has deteriorated beyond belief the last game and a half. You want to be on the coaches, I'd stop the nit picking about not taking a knee one play earlier (which was blown but get over it) or handling the last two minutes of the first half -- the only thing I'd be asking now is why are people coming so free on blitzes. If you listened to P yesterday, I think he was admitting much of it was schematic and not execution. If true, I wonder what the conversations between P and Deleone are like this week. But, having said that, look at what the O did. It held the ball for 35 minutes, which you have to do if you want your D to win you the game. It converted a boatload of third downs. And, it drove the field enough for FGs to get enough points to win. It did what it had to do. We can't turn the ball over twice a game and hope to win, and we have to eliminate the sacks, but that was a talented D. Can the O muster up enough to get us by Syracuse, LV and Rutgers at home?

So that's what I saw (having watched the first half on TV and the second on my computer very late last night). What do we have going forward? Still, beats the heck out of me. If we beat Pitt, who has played one good game to blow out USF at home but has sucked offensively two straight games, with Sunseri looking more and more lost, with that three game home stand coming up we are actually in the Big East race. The position is just like last year, where sucking OOC ultimately has nothing to do with your conference play if you just play better. If we don't beat Pitt, we at least get to go for bowl eligibility at home, against teams with as many issues as us (but, in Rutgers case, who have managed to get wins despite the issues). Is this team good enough to win at Pitt? Pitt is 3-4, and still has to play WV and Cincy, probably the two best teams in the conference? have they lost enthusiasm and confidence? Or do they play with purpose? Can our D shut them down? I think there is that chance. Can we stop with the mistakes (the turnovers and the sacks allowed)? To me, that is now the key to salvaging this season. We don't play a good team until Cincy, if at all. Do I think we're a good team -- no. But I think we can get on a role if we continue to start playing more like the '10 Huskies and less like the team that wasn't able to do what the coaches wanted them to the first half of this year. Managing the transition -- doing things a way you don't believe in because your players are more comfortable doing it that way -- that is now one of the real keys for the rest of the season. The staff took a big step in that direction this week. The other two keys -- eliminating turnovers, as we did down the stretch last year, and finding a way to pick up blitzes. A healthy Blidi wouldn't hurt either, by the way. Nor would getting Nick Williams untracked on returns.

One last note. We've played seven straight weeks, and McCombs has held up. We now have only two games between now and November 18, before we host Louisville on the 18th and play the last three weeks. Injury is always a risk, but in terms of exhaustion I think we've gotten McCombs through the worst. I have not given up on this team at all.

Reaction Score
Pass protection was really weak in the first half. P's comments suggest that USF brought blitzers from spots on the field (I believe an ILB and a safety, that they hadn't done before all year on film, and the offesne was totally unprepared for it, and failed to pick them up until after they made the adjustments at the half. They adjusted in the second half and did a much better job of at least identifying the blitzers.

McCombs, as an every down back, is simply a problem though, and this is no surprise. I love the kid. He's a freshman, and just look at the kid in the huddle next to the other players. He's been standing up to try to pass protect in the past games, and he was getting better at picking up the protections, but he was taking big shots as he's getting his body in there on much, much larger defenders to slow them down, but he's been getting run over, in this game, his pass protection went way backwards.

On saturday, he went to a cut block technique to try to pass protect, probably in an effort either made by himself, or a change in technique dictated by the coaches to save his body for the rest of the season b/c we need him. Perfectly legal technique, but it looks to me he's never done it before, b/c he was missing badly. Real bad. I think he dove in there a couple times and came up with nothing but a face full of grass as the blitzer or normal pass rush block assignment stepped right around him.

If your'e going to do that blocking technique, you need to land shoulder pad to thigh pad on the rusher and get in close and get your head across the body. He'll learn.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I've been wondering about the o-line all year (well, more accurately, I should say I've been wondering about the blocking in general) - was it schematic? Or missed assignments? And unfortunately it seems like a combination of both so far. Not gonna dwell on it much, just... get it straightened out ASAP.

Reaction Score
Great post as always. Completely agree with you about b jones taking over junior at safety with t brown doing so well. I really hope the coaches see this as well. With 5 minutes to go in the 4th junior took an awful angle on bj Daniels 40 yard scamper. Agree as well that our specials look small and weak and will continue to get exposed until we make a change.

Reaction Score
Tymeer Brown and Byron Jones have to stay on the field when Blidi comes back. That would give us our best pair of safeties since...ever.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
McCombs definitely had his best game running. As a commented in the chat room, he actually broke a few tackles, dragged a few defenders and was able to fall forward for that extra 1- 1 1/2 yards. Small, but positive steps.

As for his feeble attempts at pass blocking, after listening to the head coach yesterday talking about USF blitzing from spots the team wasn't prepared for, I'll give him half of a mulligan. But, he doesn't square up when he sees the defender and the dive block is a high risk manuever both for chance of success and for injury. We don't want to lose our most productive RB to a shoulder injury because he tried to take out a 250lbs+ defender. Simply put, he has to block better. Plus, last week he got called for a chop block because he dove at a defender who was supposedly engaged by a linemen (I think the call was BS). But refs learn player tendencies and will focus on stuff like that.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
But, having said that, look at what the O did. It held the ball for 35 minutes, which you have to do if you want your D to win you the game. It converted a boatload of first downs. And, it drove the field enough for FGs to get enough points to win. It did what it had to do.

I posted this link in another thread but thought it would be of interest in this thread as well.

Voodoo Five blog with animated drive chart for UConn & USF

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I posted this link in another thread but thought it would be of interest in this thread as well.

Voodoo Five blog with animated drive chart for UConn & USF

Funny you write this. I really liked that graphic and was gonna make a separate thread on it.

Matter of fact, screw it, I will make a separate thread on it.

Reaction Score
Love the win. Defense awesome. Offensive line very god.

I agree the kicking game had it's best day by far. That was huge in terms of field position.

Once again, you give Mac a pass. He is simply not getting it done. He can't recognize the blitz. The Offensive line does not deserve the blame for Mac's inability to read defenses and go to his hot read. He is not "good throwing the ball." He should have had numerous INTs (thank you USF DBs). QBs are suppose to be play makers, JM rarely makes plays. BTW, every QB has WRs drop the ball occasionally. However, name another BCS QB who has gone two games without leading the offense to a score who has kept his job. Heck, it's actually no TDs in three out of six games.

Scoring a TD just isn't that hard. Almost every team does it every week. Even huge underdogs find the end zone. Mac's performance is not "fine." I am amazed how many Boneyarders think zero offensive TDs is a good day by the offense.

Reaction Score
A cut block when done properly is not dangerous. It's a cross body block, and one of the oldest blocking techniques in football. To do it right, you're going shoulder pad to thigh or hip pad, most padded part of the body on the blocker to the strongest leverage point on the body of the defender.

I might be wrong, but I'm reasonably sure that it's exactly what McCombs was trying to do, and it makes sense to me, b/c it's going to protect his own body, and for everyone's safety, if you don't do it right, you'd rather miss than connect with somebody's knee with your helmet.

It's when you start getting the pads and helmet down around the knees or lower on the defenders that you've got problems, both to the defender, and risk of head injury to the blocker getting kneed or kicked in the head.

i guarantee, that if the coaches on this team are teaching it, they're teaching it right. There are a lot of coaches out there, that do it, and don't teach it right, or will blatantly tell their players to go low at the knees.

A chop block, is somethign entirely different, if that's what maybe you're thinking about.

Our offensive lineman have each gotten beaten one-on-one through the season. It happens. It's the brain-farts in protections that you have to minimize.

I didn't really see many, aside from those blitzes in the first half yesterday, but they got that cleaned up.

Big difference between not knowing who to block, or recognizing that somebody needs to be blocked vs. failing to actually block your assignment.

Reaction Score

I agree the kicking game had it's best day by far. That was huge in terms of field position.

Once again, you give Mac a pass. He is simply not getting it done. He can't recognize the blitz. The Offensive line does not deserve the blame for Mac's inability to read defenses and go to his hot read. He is not "good throwing the ball." He should have had numerous INTs (thank you USF DBs). QBs are suppose to be play makers, JM rarely makes plays. BTW, every QB has WRs drop the ball occasionally. However, name another BCS QB who has gone two games without leading the offense to a score who has kept his job. Heck, it's actually no TDs in three out of six games.

Scoring a TD just isn't that hard. Almost every team does it every week. Even huge underdogs find the end zone. Mac's performance is not "fine." I am amazed how many Boneyarders think zero offensive TDs is a good day by the offense.

The one thing McEntee did really well yesterday, was play the QB position tough.

I guarantee he was in pain with every breath yesterday, after the big #46 from USF kept falling on top of him and rolling him around. He kept getting up and kept going right at it.

Now, I will give you - that if those USF DB's had held on to the pig once or twice, the outlook of the game is totally different.

Doesn't necessarily mean we lose that game, but just a lot different.

Things are never as good as they seem, and they're never as bad as they seem when you look at a football game.

We won, and it's a huge step. But there is a LOT that needs work.

Reaction Score

1. I said he throws the ball well. Not that he's a good QB. He is a limited QB in his movement isn't good enough (except the first half against WVU) and he, like most first year starting QBs, needs to make quicker reads.

2. I thought most of the sacks were schematic where JM had no chance to get rid of the ball. P took the blame and said the same thing yesterday. You probably know more football than I do, but I'm going to go with P's conclusion on this one.

3. THIS Offense doesn"t have playmakers. Mc is not one, which is why I hoped Nebrich would have won the job by now. He hasn't, and we're not likely to change now until we get to 7 losses (which I pray we don't). But the lack of playmakers, or playcalling to overcome it, is not why we don't score TDs. If we had one Jordan Todman, or Marcus Easley, we'd have an easier time scoring. The fact that we don't isn't JM's fault, and to be blaming him for it is just unfair.

4. Most importantly, I didn't give JM a pass BECAUSE YOU DON'T NEED A PASS WHEN YOU WIN THE GAME. There is nothing to be given a pass for. Like Zach did for five games last year, JM made every play he needed to make to keep us from losing.

You are becoming like TDH with your one trick pony routine. Feel free to take that as a compliment, or however else you'd like to. We won the game. Coaches and players deserve credit. Nebrich might be better right now but we will never know that and for goodness sakes, you don't know that.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
1. I said he throws the ball well. Not that he's a good QB. He is a limited QB in his movement isn't good enough (except the first half against WVU) and he, like most first year starting QBs, needs to make quicker reads.

2. I thought most of the sacks were schematic where JM had no chance to get rid of the ball. P took the blame and said the same thing yesterday. You probably know more football than I do, but I'm going to go with P's conclusion on this one.

3. THIS Offense doesn"t have playmakers. Mc is not one, which is why I hoped Nebrich would have won the job by now. He hasn't, and we're not likely to change now until we get to 7 losses (which I pray we don't). But the lack of playmakers, or playcalling to overcome it, is not why we don't score TDs. If we had one Jordan Todman, or Marcus Easley, we'd have an easier time scoring. The fact that we don't isn't JM's fault, and to be blaming him for it is just unfair.

4. Most importantly, I didn't give JM a pass BECAUSE YOU DON'T NEED A PASS WHEN YOU WIN THE GAME. There is nothing to be given a pass for. Like Zach did for five games last year, JM made every play he needed to make to keep us from losing.

You are becoming like TDH with your one trick pony routine. Feel free to take that as a compliment, or however else you'd like to. We won the game. Coaches and players deserve credit. Nebrich might be better right now but we will never know that and for goodness sakes, you don't know that.[/quote]

You took the bait on that one. He is a two-trick pony. Once this horse is dragged, flogged and drawn&quartered, he'll bring up using Nick Williams more in the offensive sets.

Then, if McEntee is more productive, he is still right because the improvement in offense because of Nick, not Johnny Mac.

And, for the record, I think we should be finding ways to get Nick the ball more on offense.

Reaction Score
I'm really happy that Coach P said the issues with pass blocking were schematic and not execution. It seems to me that MCEntee has no idea when a blitz is coming and never seems to change his protections at the line. At least three tiems in the sedcond half I saw 7 or 8 USF players at the line of scrimmage and all three times UConn had an empty backfield. two of those times the back actually motioned or shifted out of the backfield prior to the snap. Even Mike Martz wouldn't make that call, Uconn is never going to be successful trying to block 7or8 with 6 guys as was the case way too often. I think McEntee has no clue how to read the defneses (either he hasn't been taught or just doesn't get it) and either does not ahve the authority to change protection schemes at the line or doesn't know when to do it. The examples I cited were football 101. I'm sure if I went back and watched the game again there would be more.

Of course, maybe he knows McCombs is worthless trying to pick up a blitzer and said "WTF, let's run it" but I can't believe that

Reaction Score
and here's what happens when you have a smaller player blocking a larger player and trying to get leverage, but has no idea what they're doing. Lights out. (btw - olbermann doesn't know wtf he's talking about. This is not a chop block. It could have been called a crack back though on the unconsccious Trent Green.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egbiNFcY4fI&feature=related

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Here's how a tail back in a single back set cut blocks effectively a larger pass rusher coming full speed and nobody gets hurt. Get's his shoulder pad right into the guys 'center of gravity' kinesiology term and sends him flying.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=n13d2Vz7KvQ

A correct block is just as safe as a correct tackle.

My concern is that McCombs isn't very good at blocking- period. And an incorrectly executing cut block can be very dangerous, just as an incorrect tackle is dangerous for the tackler. Additionally, defenders are pretty smart and when the cue on his tendency to dive low, they can hurdle over him and get to the QB easily. The danger on poor execution is getting the QB hurt, the danger on poor technique is getting himself hurt.

It's a high risk, low reward technique. He'd be better off just standing there, getting plowed over and hope the defender gets tangled up on his feet.

We really missing having 8 straight years of Deon Anderson and the Sherman Tank.

Reaction Score
We were one yard away from scoring a TD in the 1st qtr after a solid drive down the field. If we get any kind of push up the middle, we score an offensive TD and the people harping on that one stat are satisfied (maybe).

The team as a whole did what they needed to do to win this game. That's what matters.

Reaction Score
BL:

Loving this appropriate and effective use of all-caps. It's beautiful and it does my heart good to see it on this board. I hope people are taking notes......

Reaction Score

-Fair enough

-With the exception of one blitz up the middle, most of the other blitzes were tipped by creeping DBs or LBs. Mac did throw the ball away once. He needs to do it more. And I am not surprised that Pasqualoni is protecting his QB from criticism which I think he was doing in this case.

-I think there are playmakers on the Huskies. My guess is that both Nick Williams and JJL are play makers. We just haven't identified them or gotten them the ball in position to make plays. Please note: these are guesses. I would love to see these guys get a chance. I could be wrong but both seem to have the talent (IMHO) to make a difference. Once again, it's hard to be a playmaking RB or WR if you never get the ball.

-A player can have a poor game and the team can still win. Every player on a winning team does not deserve a "pass." Every player needs to held accountable and improve each week.

You are becoming like TDH with your one trick pony routine. Feel free to take that as a compliment, or however else you'd like to. We won the game. Coaches and players deserve credit. Nebrich might be better right now but we will never know that and for goodness sakes, you don't know that.

-I have many tricks. However, there is no question that the lack of production at QB needs to be addressed and I have been surprised that P. seems so comfortable with this level of play. And as I've said a zillion times, I don't know if Nebrich would be better. I would just like to see him have a fair chance.

Reaction Score

Having a personal vendatta against a kid is also not "fine". You want MN, who has had what 20 snaps, to play? And you say the OL was good - you said god, but they were anything but god-like. How would MN have fared against a D that determined their best chance to beat us was to send blitz plackages early and often. I'm ok with criticizing kids, but this is getting downright silly and personal.

Reaction Score
"You are becoming like TDH with your one trick pony routine. Feel free to take that as a compliment, or however else you'd like to. We won the game. Coaches and players deserve credit. Nebrich might be better right now but we will never know that and for goodness sakes, you don't know that. "

Biz, keep pi$$ing in a cup an calling it microbrew. What's that they call many of the Red Sox fans? . . Oh yeah, Pink Hats. Wow get the pom-poms out.

The offense sucked . . . again. Let's not sugar coat it. Except for the field goal kicker. . . they are awful. Yeah, McCombs had a big day running, so he gets a pass in that aspect. But the rest is awful. Can't pass, can't pass block, can't catch reliably. Can't think clear enough to have your QB take a knee on 2nd and 3rd down. Insist on throwing to #94 (who has been a reliable receiver) short of the first down marker where he's not likely to outrun anyone. And . . . is flippin touchdown averse. Is there a less productive offense in the BCS?

How much fun would this year be if there was an offense even close to the caliber & effectiveness of the UConn defense? They played a monster game. And hell, they probably know they have to score TD's too since no one else seems to be able to. They might actually do better playing one-platoon football.

If you're gonna point out "one trick ponies" how bout focusing on the great defense, solid FG's and the abysmal lack of offense game day routine as an out-dated, recipee for more losses than wins.

Reaction Score
"You are becoming like TDH with your one trick pony routine. Feel free to take that as a compliment, or however else you'd like to. We won the game. Coaches and players deserve credit. Nebrich might be better right now but we will never know that and for goodness sakes, you don't know that. "

Biz, keep pi$$ing in a cup an calling it microbrew. What's that they call many of the Red Sox fans? . . Oh yeah, Pink Hats. Wow get the pom-poms out.

The offense sucked . . . again. Let's not sugar coat it. Except for the field goal kicker. . . they are awful. Yeah, McCombs had a big day running, so he gets a pass in that aspect. But the rest is awful. Can't pass, can't pass block, can't catch reliably. Can't think clear enough to have your QB take a knee on 2nd and 3rd down. Insist on throwing to #94 (who has been a reliable receiver) short of the first down marker where he's not likely to outrun anyone. And . . . is flippin touchdown averse. Is there a less productive offense in the BCS?

How much fun would this year be if there was an offense even close to the caliber & effectiveness of the UConn defense? They played a monster game. And hell, they probably know they have to score TD's too since no one else seems to be able to. They might actually do better playing one-platoon football.

If you're gonna point out "one trick ponies" how bout focusing on the great defense, solid FG's and the abysmal lack of offense game day routine as an out-dated, recipee for more losses than wins.

Thank you for not letting me down my friend! I knew I could count on you being miserable after yet another win over that was not accomplished in the manner you think wins need to come..

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
After all the moaning the last couple of weeks about losing the game in the fourth quarter, now it's not good enough to win - now it's got to be pretty, too?

I guess even after losing several key players from last year and depending on a bunch of inexperience and less talented players this season, bringing in Coach P was supposed to turn the Huskies into Oklahoma immediately. Who knew?

Reaction Score
A correct block is just as safe as a correct tackle.

My concern is that McCombs isn't very good at blocking- period. And an incorrectly executing cut block can be very dangerous, just as an incorrect tackle is dangerous for the tackler. Additionally, defenders are pretty smart and when the cue on his tendency to dive low, they can hurdle over him and get to the QB easily. The danger on poor execution is getting the QB hurt, the danger on poor technique is getting himself hurt.

It's a high risk, low reward technique. He'd be better off just standing there, getting plowed over and hope the defender gets tangled up on his feet.

We really missing having 8 straight years of Deon Anderson and the Sherman Tank.

Agreed, on the safety issue. Cut blocking is something I'd prefer to see more from the OL's firing out in run plays , fire out in front of those defenders play side and get down on your hands and feet in a four points and bear walk those DL's and LB's right out of the play. I don't think that kind of running game is what these coaches like though. I think they prefer a more heads up type of blocking scheme. I don't think we miss the FB position so much, we're jsut a much more diverse offense this year than at any time in the recent pass, so you don't see the power I run that much anymore. Our FB's did a pretty good job against USF I thought, in blocking and receiving.

I suppose it's pick your poison, because if you're going to spread the field out on passing downs and get a single back set, and even with a two back set, you need to have a backfield that can pick up pass blocks.

Would you rather have McCombs go chest to chest head up on blocker, or try to get lower and use whatever leverage he can?

I think he's got a greater chance of exiting the game stage right if he's standing up in there.

These guys have played seven straight weeks of football after camp. McCombs is listed at what 175? If he's 175 at this point in the season, after the work he's put in, he's got to be eating a side of beef every other day. He's probably playing weight about 165 right now and eating like a horse trying to get up to 170.

He's simply not going to last if he's in there picking up 230lb linebackers and 300lb DL's on pass protection going chest to chest, and we're extremely thin on backfield players that can stay in there and have any threat of running and passing diversity on offense.

Needs to get better at his craft.

He ran the ball very well on Saturday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member