The View From Section 241 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

The View From Section 241

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
My point is that the way the game was played yesterday is identical to the way it has been every game since Orlovsky left save a riveting second half in 2009. My point is that while some years we may get a layup home/away schedule from the Big East and by default of 37 tie-breakers end up in the BCS, every year we're still vulnerable to teams like Temple, Western Michigan, Virginia, Iowa State, even at home. My point is not that we are not Oklahoma, just that there has not even been a glimpe or flash where I could honestly convince myself that we might be. Calhoun had his dream season four years after being hired. Auriemma had his after six. P has a chance to build towards his, unfortunatly he seems to be leaning toward the perpetual 8-4, 8-5 land of RandyBall.

Oh and no of course you didn't explicity say we were playing not to lose, but how is that any different than praising Deleone for giving up what he is trying to teach and implement in favor of the conventional 30 yards and kick?

Reaction Score
My point is that the way the game was played yesterday is identical to the way it has been every game since Orlovsky left save a riveting second half in 2009. My point is that while some years we may get a layup home/away schedule from the Big East and by default of 37 tie-breakers end up in the BCS, every year we're still vulnerable to teams like Temple, Western Michigan, Virginia, Iowa State, even at home. My point is not that we are not Oklahoma, just that there has not even been a glimpe or flash where I could honestly convince myself that we might be. Calhoun had his dream season four years after being hired. Auriemma had his after six. P has a chance to build towards his, unfortunatly he seems to be leaning toward the perpetual 8-4, 8-5 land of RandyBall.

Oh and no of course you didn't explicity say we were playing not to lose, but how is that any different than praising Deleone for giving up what he is trying to teach and implement in favor of the conventional 30 yards and kick?

A "dream season," where we are competing to be one of the ten? five? two? best teams in the country will require an entirely different roster than we have. It will require a roster that really no Big East team has had, save WVU with White and Slaton, since Miami and VPI left. It will require one that I don't think Steve Spurrier or Urban Meyer would be able to bring here to Connecticut in ten years of trying because of the systemic disadvantages, but whether you think they could or couldn't remains irrelevant to why we should be designing an offense around players we'd like to have but don't instead of players we have.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
With respect to the last two posts:

1. JJL looked good on both his carries. I'm guessing you're not seeing more because the coaches are worried about ball security, but who knows. It was strange that he had two good carries early and then never got on the field again (although less strange I guess because McCombs was having his best day).

2. The very fact that anyone is comparing Saturday, which was a nice, crisp fall day, to the Ice Bowl is patently absurd.

The Rent has been a house of horrors for USF. They are 0-4, and they've lost in incredible fashion all four times. All but the '09 game were about USF not converting in the red zone. At least this time they didn't give up their chance with gimmick plays, like the double reverse pass on 4th and goal from the 5, or the naked bootleg on 2d and goal from the one. And, as I've said before, this game was as identical to the '05 game as any two football games could be to each other.

I would have liked to at least see us try JJL at least once in that 1st and goal series from the 1. I liked that we tried McCummings as well but the blocking on that play achieved no push and some (Corey Manning) got absolutely manhandled to the point where taking it to the outside was closed. Certainly the JMac draw on 3rd down was a disappointment. I understand that they were looking to surprise like they did in the same play against WVU a week ago but neither time did JMac have a chance of getting into the end zone. Just not his strength. There is no excuse for not getting the TD in three chances from the 1-2 yard line.

With respect to ball security, I know JJL missed that pitch once but I didn't see him carrying the ball in the wrong place (but also didn't look particularly carefully). As far as I'm concerned, he's just a trustworthy with the ball as McCombs or maybe even moreso since he should be able to handle bigger hits.

Reaction Score
A "dream season," where we are competing to be one of the ten? five? two? best teams in the country will require an entirely different roster than we have. It will require a roster that really no Big East team has had, save WVU with White and Slaton, since Miami and VPI left. It will require one that I don't think Steve Spurrier or Urban Meyer would be able to bring here to Connecticut in ten years of trying because of the systemic disadvantages, but whether you think they could or couldn't remains irrelevant to why we should be designing an offense around players we'd like to have but don't instead of players we have.

+1 ... Every single player, coach, and fan wearing green and white would have given up a lot to look as bad as UCONN did Saturday ...

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score

If Boise can do it. If TCU can do it. If Utah can do it. If WVU can do it. If VCU can do it.

UCONN can do it.

Not likely, but it can be done.

Reaction Score
If Boise can do it. If TCU can do it. If Utah can do it. If WVU can do it. If VCU can do it.

UCONN can do it.

I did not say "never." But WVU has a lot of advantages on us. History. Stadium size. More big time recruits within a two hour drive. Things that will take time before we can be in their position (and they were lucky (in the sense of being more than three standard deviations from their mean) to have Pat White be Pat White).

The others are comparing apples to oranges because they do not have to play quality opposition week in and week out. That is not knocking what Boise especially has accomplished.

More importantly -- this is still irrelevant to how we get better calling plays for athletes we don't have rather than the ones we do, which is what this discussion was about. If you think we should have Top 5 athletes -- more power to you. But if you think we have them, you're alone in this world

Reaction Score
I'm with you on a lot of this Biz but I wouldn't be so sure about saying "I don't think Urban Meyer would be able to bring (a top ten finish) here to Connecticut in ten years of trying because of the systemic disadvantages."
If by systemic disadvantages you mean the back door deals and admittance of unqualified students, or the failure of our program to sanction paying players--I agree. But if you mean recruiting the faster "Percy Harvins"to a northern school I don't agree. And, by the way does anyone think that if Urban Meyer was hired tomorrow, we would be kept out of a big boy conference. It's called star power. In the business side of show business it's called attachments. It's what makes a marginal musical a big Broadway hit.

Reaction Score
I'm with you on a lot of this Biz but I wouldn't be so sure about saying "I don't think Urban Meyer would be able to bring (a top ten finish) here to Connecticut in ten years of trying because of the systemic disadvantages."
If by systemic disadvantages you mean the back door deals and admittance of unqualified students, or the failure of our program to sanction paying players--I agree. But if you mean recruiting the faster "Percy Harvins"to a northern school I don't agree. And, by the way does anyone think that if Urban Meyer was hired tomorrow, we would be kept out of a big boy conference. It's called star power. In the business side of show business it's called attachments. It's what makes a marginal musical a big Broadway hit.

How long did it take Spurrier to get USC East near the level of talent he was used to at Florida? And that's in a state with more people than ours, with more football history, with a bigger fanbase, with more history, ....

I don't know what Urban Meyer could accomplish here. I think it's safe to say more than almost anyone else. But if you don't think his recruiting would have to "overcome" our lack of history, our membership in a less prestigious and troubled conference, our small stadium, northeastern weather, etc., etc., etc., -- well, I'd ask you how many national championships he won at Bowling Green. Or even at Utah. I'll tell you this -- like Spurrier at South Carolina, he will accomplish more if you give him time to build the fanbase, increase prestige and "buzz," cause a stadium increase, etc. than if you just bring him in and demanded immediate results.

Reaction Score

do you think maybe we're still playing Randy-ball in part because 100% of the players we have were identified and recruited by Edsall so they are both schooled in the Edsall style and they were recruited to fit his approach. To some degree we're seing an offense that simply doesn't have the players to play wide open style right now. That's just the way it goes. Beyond that, I think you exaggerate how vulnerable we are to some of those other schools. We've lost 2 games to the MAC since 2002. This is the first time in years that we've lost home non-conference games since 2006. The fact is that this team was going through a transition on both sides of the ball. We're trying ot make the best of a difficult situation on offense where we had no quarterback and no experienced running back.

Reaction Score
Recruiting is the lifeblood of any football program. Establishing a recruiting foothold as a northeast division 1-A football program destination of choice among the very best players coming into college, is the only thing, the ONLY thing this program has lacked when it comes to recruiting. That is changing.

And the beauty of it, is that you don't need the championships. You don't need the glitz and glamour and history. You need to be able to recruit players.

BUT - we've actually got it. We've been to teh BCS game. We've got the championship banners up there on the facade of the stadium. We've got the top notch facilities.

WHY?

The bottom line is that players choose to go somewhere, because they like the coaches.

That's what recruiting is all about. The facilities, the glitz, the glamour, the prestige, the conference affiliation, that's what gets the players through the front door easier.

The vast majority of palyers choose where they want to go because of the coaches and nothing else.

So far, given where they came from, how little time they had, and what they had to accomplish, I think this coaching staff has done a phenomenal job with everything they've done both on the field and off.

It's only going to get better, with a full year under their belt back in the saddle, and what everything the UConn football program brings to the table.

BTW - We kicked Spurrier's South Carolina's by the way.......and it wasn't that long ago when it happened.

and Pittsburgh right now, is in line for their whupping.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
We need a new punt returner. When the guy isn't calling for fair catches with no one within 8 yards he's letting it bounce costing us tons of field position. I have never seen a PR let so many balls drop to the ground. It's become chronic.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

Louisville in 2006, USF in 2007, Cincinnati 2009 and Wannstedt's last couple of Pitt teams were very good and were competing at a very high level.

There is no reason that UConn can not be one of the top teams in the country in football. It takes the right players playing smart with the right scheme. There is so much talent out there in football. No one has a monopoly on it.

Reaction Score
A couple of posts and then we can return to the When Urban Meyer is here we will ....

I never heard ANYONE say they were satisfied with the O, but to say it was not good means you were not watching the game. An O can not stay on the field as long as we did (and keep the opponent focused on watering their hands?) if it is not good. Is it where ANYONE wants it, no, but ball control was key to keeping an O that was averaging 500+ yards per game off the field. And ball control is really good for a D - nothing keeps them fresher then sitting back and watching the O chew up the clock.

Did JMac miss many open receivers? A year ago many of the posters on this board were pleading to see him on the field after watching him knock the sign off a pizza delivery car, and now we want him banished. I always thought the hype was exactly that, and would have preferred we turn over the reigns to one of the kids, but I can't stand here and say w/o him we would have a better record. Why would you sit him now? He's not ever going to be a great QB, but he is doing what is asked of him.

I am all in on the "go w/the 2 freshman at S" comment. JJ shows signs every game of developing in to a good player and then has an inevitable brain fart causing him to run a straight line on a play that ends up getting behind him and/or committing to a pass fake. The 2 kids have a nose for the ball and along w/Smallwood show a true knack for making the D an integral part of the O. JJ will simply get played like a novice at the poker table, inevitably falling for a fake.

Teams need confidence and winning is the ONLY thing that breeds confidence. Putting together a gameplan designed to WIN the game is the only thing that matters. You want style points, cheer on the Hawaii Rainbows. But if you think this is the same O as 10, then you're not watching and/or you're seeing what you want to see. It's not a finished product by far and it is never fun watching the sausage being made. But only here do we celebrate wins with calls for changes at QB.

Reaction Score

UCONN can do it.

There are schools where athletes actually go to class and there are schools where everybody is a Cam Newton. OK graduates 45% of their kids. At the SEC after Vandy grad rates are not great. We are over 80%. According to RE our admission standards may be some of the toughest. Boise in the 50's and TCU in the 60's. You have to find the right kid for our program. Can it be done - sure!!

PS Kudos to Miami - 75%.

Reaction Score
Biz, keep up the good work on these. Thank you.

I said at the beginning of the season that I would be happy with a bowl....any bowl. We are still in the running for that and I think it is very important for the program that we keep up the string of bowl appearances. Especially with a young team like this that could use the extra practice time.

Sat. some things came together, especially on the defensive side of the ball. I am absolutely pumped about some of the pups - Smallwood, Jones, Brown. Very pleased to see these coaches put a defensive game plan in place that made sense for the opponent.

On offense I actually think the OL did their best job of the season with run blocking and McCombs had his best game by far. The pass blocking was scheme, some of Johny Mac not being able to read blitz or get rid of the ball and McCombs who is an absolute liability in pass protection. I think JJL has to get more time if only for that reason alone.

Not sure what to make of Nick Williams on returns. He clearly should have gotten to that ball that USF downed at the two. On the sideline Coach P gave him an ear full, so I am wondering if his days returning punts are numbered or if he is going to step up.

We can win three more games this season. It won't be easy and I will take them anyway we can get them....no matter how ugly.

Reaction Score
Thanks for the write-up BL. Better than most of the reporters out there in terms of the details.

One play I noticed that I haven't seen get a lot of commentary was the 3rd and 2 play when JJL got the carry and absolutely barreled into the USF defenders making a loud thwack and falling forward for that first down. I just loved that physicality carrying the ball in a short yardage situation. Anyone else notice that play?
Yes - I wish he would get more carries.

Reaction Score
I don't think that Jerome Junior has done anything to lose a starting job. But I do think that there's some competition coming up behind him taht's going to push him harder than he might be used to getting pushed recently, and that's a good thing, because that's what makes a team better. He was in positino to make some plays back there in pass coverage, and let a sure interception bounce off his pads late in teh game. The defense came right back and the line deflected a pass that landed in our LB's hands.

Junior has absolutely done things to lose the starting job. In the 2nd half last year, he appeared to be turning the corner, and had some big games. This year, he has gone back to his old ways. Missed tackles, blown coverage, and taking absolutely atrocious angles on the ball leading to huge gains. The starting safeties when BWW comes back should be Ty Meer Brown and Byron Jones. Both have great closing speed, and are making plays.

Reaction Score
Recruiting is the lifeblood of any football program. Establishing a recruiting foothold as a northeast division 1-A football program destination of choice among the very best players coming into college, is the only thing, the ONLY thing this program has lacked when it comes to recruiting. That is changing.

And the beauty of it, is that you don't need the championships. You don't need the glitz and glamour and history. You need to be able to recruit players.

BUT - we've actually got it. We've been to teh BCS game. We've got the championship banners up there on the facade of the stadium. We've got the top notch facilities.

WHY?

The bottom line is that players choose to go somewhere, because they like the coaches.

That's what recruiting is all about. The facilities, the glitz, the glamour, the prestige, the conference affiliation, that's what gets the players through the front door easier.

The vast majority of palyers choose where they want to go because of the coaches and nothing else.

So far, given where they came from, how little time they had, and what they had to accomplish, I think this coaching staff has done a phenomenal job with everything they've done both on the field and off.

It's only going to get better, with a full year under their belt back in the saddle, and what everything the UConn football program brings to the table.

BTW - We kicked Spurrier's South Carolina's by the way.......and it wasn't that long ago when it happened.

and Pittsburgh right now, is in line for their whupping.

Carl,

You might find this an interesting read. The author refrences several studies on this subject

http://www2.uwstout.edu/content/lib/thesis/2009/2009destachet.pdf

Reaction Score
That's a nice paper, and says exactly what I've been saying.

Recruiting is about players liking their coaches. #1 priority identified among wisconsin student athletes is that the school has the desired academic coursework and scholarship opportunity, and #2 is the head coach personality. After that is facilities and campus/social life.

These coaches we've got right now are just getting started on recruiting, and they know the landscape, and they're all-in on building this program.

Conference affiliation, all the other stuff, pretty even across the board, not so much.

thanks again, I'm going to make sure that paper gets into somebody's hands at uconn, if they're not already aware of it.

Reaction Score

This viewpoint is never popular on this site, but is more accurate than not. You used the word "vulnerable" and the UConn offense (save for the "riviting second half in 2009")has continously left the Huskies' "game outcomes "at risk" since the Dan O era ended.

I honestly felt that UConn had turned the corner during that "riviting second half in 2009". They suddenly found an offense and could put up TDs with the best of them. They won a OT shootout at Notre Dame. They almost knocked of BE Champ Cincy in a shootout on the road. They were exciting. Anyone forget the ending of the "Wintery Mix" Bowl against South Florida. The Bulls and the same QB (Daniels) we saw on Saturday had rallied to go ahead with little time left. But just for once, the confidence level in the ability of the offense to move the ball into FG range was almost palpable. I was supremely confident in that offense at that point . . . and that is almost never the case (still digusted over potential game winning drive against Virginia in Charlotteville in "07).

Point is that UConn appeared to have arrived and appeared to have unimaginable potential as far as what that program could become. And now . . . they are smack in the middle of huge uncertainty.

Reaction Score
We need a new punt returner. When the guy isn't calling for fair catches with no one within 8 yards he's letting it bounce costing us tons of field position. I have never seen a PR let so many balls drop to the ground. It's become chronic.

No question. Our return teams, specifically Nick Williams have been a huge disappointment. Easy to blame blockers, but Williams has not looked good at all fielding kicks. Hesitant to catch the ball, and does not explode through the line.

Reaction Score
After re-watching the game I like JJL carrying the ball and moving the pile. Better pass blocker. A better counter to the blitz would be JJL straight ahead. Keeps everybody honest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom