The View From Section 241 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

The View From Section 241

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Might not have been the only reason, but locals were against it for traffic reasons.but you’re right, money would’ve trumped the locals.
UConn was fresh the UConn2000 money and figured all they had to do was ask. If they had just done the Rent and said they'd pay for Burton and Shenkman through donations, it would have gone through. Though I'm sure the locals would have whined about it.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
You listed 6 schools. 4 of them play on campus and two play in pro stadiums. None of them built a stadium a half hour off campus.

(FWIW, I've been to SHI(T) Stadium many times. The kids all walk there.)

I've been to Rutgers twice for football and while I parked is Piscataway, google can tell you it's a 30 min walk from College Ave to the stadium. All the kids walk there? Sure.

So call it for what it is: BC, Maryland, and Cuse play on campus. Rutgers is a hybrid. Pitt and Temple play in NFL stadiums. I think that's a more apt comparison for our Northeast peers than some podunk town in Kansas or Texas.

If the stadium was on campus today, how many students you saying are at the game?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You can see it as they stumble in before games. It is an absolute Pack mentality. Someone - a whaler11 type - tells them that it's not cool to root for a struggling (formerly 1-11) Team and they all go back to their way back to the dorm, following the leader. My view - and this is absolutely anecdotal - is a large number are Women. It is great to be seen. But the competitive fire of a real game - which Illinois was - is lost on them. A few turnovers and big plays. Frankly, Wagner was closer; but that one was cooked to well done early in the second half. (the score was scary though)

There is not going to be any discussion of New Capital Outlay from this State. They have made numerous commitments in recent years and they are going to watch those play out.

lol yeah tag me chump.

ive sat through every game at the rent but one.

the students are actually smarter than i am for
rejecting garbage football

CL82

Reaction Score
ve been to Rutgers twice for football and while I parked is Piscataway, google can tell you it's a 30 min walk from College Ave to the stadium. All the kids walk there? Sure.
As I’m sure you’re aware, Rutgers is made up of five campuses. Some of which are necessarily closer to the stadium than others. If you’ve actually been to games then you’ve seen kids walking in through the back of the parking lot, as I have. In any event the regular campus bus line loops to the stadium.

But since you’re a jersey guy, you know all this. I’m not sure why you’re straining so hard to make a point.

So to recap, you listed six stadiums, four of which are on campus, two of which are pro stadiums in none of which are college stadiums built a 1/2 drive away from campus.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
As I’m sure you’re aware, Rutgers is made up of five campuses. Some of which are necessarily closer to the stadium than others. If you’ve actually been to games then you’ve seen kids walking in through the back of the parking lot, as I have. In any event the regular campus bus line loops to the stadium.

But since you’re a jersey guy, you know all this. I’m not sure why you’re straining so hard to make a point.

I think my overarching point is that UConn's situation is kind of unique in the sense that we were:

a) late to upgrade to FBS football and didn't have decades worth of tradition of alumni/fans traveling to games and needed to fill a 40,000 seat stadium
b) the campus that is pretty far away from the state's population centers; which matters more in the Northeast than anywhere else due to traffic/congestion
c) our fans by and large are pretty fair weather, particularly the students

As @cohenzone said, I'd love for UConn to have a home stadium situated like Virginia Tech's where 50,000 people pour in every weekend. That would be ideal.

I just don't think in our present state it would matter a whole lot, and in fact I think it would hurt attendance.

C

Chief00

The on-campus argument is so tiring. The students get free tickets and have to take a 30 min bus ride with their friends to go cook food, drink beer, and watch college football. I'm not crying for them.
The plan to build on campus before the Rent plan was killed by Mansfield residents worried about traffic.- For about two hours before and after games on 6-7 days-a year. And it’s not like there wasn’t an on campus stadium although obviously not as big or potentially as busy as the Rent.

As far as non alums or people from other parts of the area not willing to go to Storrs- few days of the year, that’s probably right and a sad comment. One of my kids did grad work at Vztech. There ain’t too many big schools in such a pain in the butt places to get to than Blacksburg and Virginia is way bigger than CT. And the gams are packed and hotels hard to come by on game weekends. Location of Storrs says more about General fab interest than where the school is. Of course route 195 is not really adequate for crowds of 40 thou or more.
The facts are the students Do go to East Hartford, and about 5,000 return to campus before the game starts.
Most of this is the University not the students fault. Chief has stated the reasons why in other posts so I won’t replay them now.

CL82

Reaction Score
I think my overarching point is that UConn's situation is kind of unique in the sense that we were:

a) late to upgrade to FBS football and didn't have decades worth of tradition of alumni/fans traveling to games and needed to fill a 40,000 seat stadium
b) the campus that is pretty far away from the state's population centers; which matters more in the Northeast than anywhere else due to traffic/congestion
c) our fans by and large are pretty fair weather, particularly the students

As @cohenzone said, I'd love for UConn to have a home stadium situated like Virginia Tech's where 50,000 people pour in every weekend. That would be ideal.

I just don't think in our present state it would matter a whole lot, and in fact I think it would hurt attendance.
Fans are getting more fair weather everywhere. Still, you have to realize being able to roll out of bed at 11:30 and still being able to make the start of noon game significantly advances the likelihood that college kids will go there.

But for Kraft yanking Connecticut/Hartford around in a pretend bid to move there, no one, no one at all would have thought that sticking UConn football stadium 30 minutes drive off campus was a good idea. I hate that rat bastard.

CL82

Reaction Score
How many more times are we gonna plow this ground???
As many times as it takes! We get there when we get there!

(Yeah, I actually have no idea. It's not like this will change anything. It is a sore point when people pretend that sticking a college football stadium 30 minutes off campus was somehow a good idea. It was a thoroughly Connecticut move.)

Reaction Score
I've been to Rutgers twice for football and while I parked is Piscataway, google can tell you it's a 30 min walk from College Ave to the stadium. All the kids walk there? Sure.

So call it for what it is: BC, Maryland, and Cuse play on campus. Rutgers is a hybrid. Pitt and Temple play in NFL stadiums. I think that's a more apt comparison for our Northeast peers than some podunk town in Kansas or Texas.

If the stadium was on campus today, how many students you saying are at the game?
IIRC Governor Roland or Ella G wanted the on campus stadium and Robert Kraft wanted one built in East Hartford. Kraft was a crook.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
The bottom line is that the student section was full, loud and affected games years ago. Now it is an embarrassment and the players are calling it out. No more excuses- it has to be fixed, regardless of where the stadium was or is.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
The bottom line is that the student section was full, loud and affected games years ago. Now it is an embarrassment and the players are calling it out. No more excuses- it has to be fixed, regardless of where the stadium was or is.

Yup, and back in my day we paid $7 a game for the right to step foot in The Rent!

Reaction Score
There were plenty of students at the Rent for the game, but many of them left after the tailgate. I couldn’t believe the traffic jam leaving the Red lots around 3 PM.

At the start of the game, the student section looked fine, but almost all of the students were gone at the start of the 2nd half. I guess the recent poor performance of the football team has trained the students to not stay for the second half.

With winning, more people will come to games and stay.

Reaction Score
Nope. The plan got killed because UConn asked the state to pay for the equivalent of the Rent, Burton and Shenkman and the state said no. The locals have screwed up many things for UConn but this isn't one of them.
The state said no because they thought Kraft was moving the Patriots to Hartford. If it had not been for Kraft taking the state for a ride, Burton and Shenkman would have kicked in some money, and IIRC Roland wanted the stadium in Storrs before Kraft started jacking everyone off.

Reaction Score
Nope. The plan got killed because UConn asked the state to pay for the equivalent of the Rent, Burton and Shenkman and the state said no. The locals have screwed up many things for UConn but this isn't one of them.
The state said no because they thought Kraft was moving the Patriots to Hartford. If it had not been for Kraft taking the state for a ride, Burton and Shenkman would have kicked in some money, and IIRC Roland wanted the stadium in Storrs before Kraft started jacking everyone off.
United Technologies donated the land. Probably needed to be cleaned up and got a tax break

CL82

Reaction Score
Mmm not sure of this timing Rob.

Reaction Score
Man some of you guys get so off topic its like 1st grade 123 eyes on me. This is BL's summary of the GAME. Take your meds.

I just saw the game on youtube (thanks) was at Smith Mountain Lake, VA with no reception. Team played great. Again team played great. Only suggestions I can make is better punting, and get a back in there that can wack it for 5 yards a carry, when we appear to be in a passing down.

Definite progress!!

PS I thought/think Skanes was a player, line him up in the slot and give him some end arounds, or (Larry Taylor) inside moves.

A good showing at Indiani and it will be criminal if we don't get 25k in the Rent for next home game.

Oh by the way tell wives that its Lilly Pullizer online sales day, and that I quit smoking and am just vaping. Sh%t I need my Adderall, sorry.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Mmm not sure of this timing Rob.
How so? Kraft bought the Patriots in 94, the same year Roland got elected. Rumors started in 97 in that Kraft wanted to build a stadium in East Hartford to share with the UConn Huskies, with the stadium being financed by the State of Connecticut. This killed any movement to build it in Storrs, then after that when Kraft said "see ya", the State and the school went ahead with it anyway. The land was free. If Kraft had never been in the equation I'm convinced that the stadium would have been built on campus.

Reaction Score
How so? Kraft bought the Patriots in 94, the same year Roland got elected. Rumors started in 97 in that Kraft wanted to build a stadium in East Hartford to share with the UConn Huskies, with the stadium being financed by the State of Connecticut. This killed any movement to build it in Storrs, then after that when Kraft said "see ya", the State and the school went ahead with it anyway. The land was free. If Kraft had never been in the equation I'm convinced that the stadium would have been built on campus.

Let me help w/ some chronology:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom