The View From Section 241 | The Boneyard

The View From Section 241

Reaction Score
First, for the first time probably since the win over undefeated Houston, that was a fun way to spend an afternoon. It was good, entertaining football on a beautiful day with a crowd that was way too small (and didn't come close to 22k people in the building) but was into the game and not just either not paying attention or whining the whole game. It was a flashback to actually wanting to be at the football games. Yes, I want to win, but first you have to be competitive and yesterday was a start. Having said, that, however, it was a start and was one game. I didn't even bother posting after Wagner because I just didn't have the energy to point out what went right and that you couldn't read too much into one game. I now will make the same caution the other way. That effort doesn't mean we've turned much of a corner the other way either. A lot of good for sure, but one game against an o.k. Team who we lost to at home. Hope is good. I like hope (a lot). But more patience is required.

Obviously the big story is Jack Z. The kid showed an arm, with some accuracy and zip, and a heck of a lot of moxey. There is every reason to be hopeful that he can have a good career here and be the first good QB we've homegrown in forever. Having said that, he's not just a true frosh but one that never played a game in the U.S. Until yesterday. He turned it over 3 times yesterday, and clearly has a lot to learn about when to tuck and run, when to throw it away, etc. It's his show now, but expect the year to be a long one with more learning on the job than would be ideal. Plus, when he starts making mistakes against lesser teams than Illinois, we have Palatine calling for Krajewski to look forward to.

The defense played great for 3 quarters, and for the second straight game had about a 15 minute span where things went really poorly. Obviously, that's light years better than last year, but if we want to win a bunch of games we need a solid sixty. Herring Wilson is giving his all but we need someone better. Morgan is clearly our best LB, but for the first time ever I thought Gilmartin looked like a good player. Obvously the DL, which is too young, is going to struggle at times against bigger and stronger players, but they played hard and made plays most of yesterday. And kudos to Coyle for being the veteran making plays kickstarting a team.

Matt Peart was missed badly, whatever HCRE said about his replacement. But the OL as a whole has to be better. I'm not a Kevin Mensah fan -- he finds the right hole and gets there quickly enough, but he doesn't have big play speed and goes down way too easily -- although full credit for his TD run that he had no business scoring on. This may be the first time ever under Edsall where TB is a weakness. With Brown and Ross playing, and everyone else having less responsibility, while not perfect the receivers played really well overall. And the TEs. We came in with a conservative game plan which made perfect sense with a QB and two WRs playing their first game, and then opened it up more as passing was much easier than running. Unfortunately, that was after two red zone trips where we settled for FGs. By the way -- on one of them we should have scored running wide left but Thompkins totally whiffed on a block.

So I'm looking forward to the game in Bloomington in 2 weeks. That in and of itself is an unusual feeling. And then let's see how this team improves. But hope is always a good thing, and now we have the right to have some.

Reaction Score
Indiana could be 38-13, type loss. Watched them game 1 against Ball State and they really move the ball well.

Spanos is the truth. He brings well timed blitzes like the one Morgan got the strip sack on. Fortt needs to be better in coverage as well. Just the fact our tackling is so much better gives me hope.

The jump from last year to this year is pretty dramatic but you could see it in the 1st game. 3 or 4 wins seems like a possibility.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Very accurate retelling.

The Illinois QB is bad. Both teams committed what felt like a million penalties. Lovie Smith is a joke. I guess it’s college football in 2019 where there were a half dozen remarkable plays and a half dozen impossible mistakes.

I knew the game was on CBSSN because the breaks were endless. You want more people to come and stay 4 quarters? Make it less of a time investment that has mind-numbing stops. I walked out of the bathroom when they were reviewing the targeting call and it was a great reminder of one way the home experience is better. I had no idea what was going on and the replays were limited and didn’t shed any light.

The offensive line is an issue. Thompkins does some really good things but has taken a beating
in only two weeks. They have to use the other backs because Mensah is kind of limited. Brown was impressive - Drayton is the type of player we haven’t seen in a while.

Illinois is not good so don’t go crazy but the fact they tackle 815% better than last year at least means they can compete.

Hopefully the improved defense allows Edsall to keep the offense more open - need to develop this kid. It’s frustrating watching them run the play clock down and not get an advantage on offense of wearing the defense down.

Reaction Score
Thanks BL. I had another observation at the game yesterday.

The offense played poorly in the second Q which negatively impacted UConn’s defense. UConn had these three drives in a row in Q2:

3 plays, -9 yards, 2 min 11 seconds.
3 plays, -1 yards, 2 min 14 seconds
3 plays, 28 yards, interception, 34 seconds

The offense sputtered which caused the defense to be gassed and Illinois took advantage.

The defense is so much better this year than last year. I thought Travis Jones played great clogging the middle.

One last point. Illinois’ kicking, punting, and returns were much better than UConn’s yesterday. Illinois’ kickoffs went further and they had better kick returns. And, their kicker hit a 53 yarder into the wind to end the 1st half which was impressive.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
More of a big picture comment, but if UConn can at least be competitive with FBS programs, let alone start winning again, you can still have a program worth supporting.

I think there are a lot of fans that just want some glimmer of hope to get back on board. Maybe Zergiotis could be that spark?

Reaction Score
More of a big picture comment, but if UConn can at least be competitive with FBS programs, let alone start winning again, you can still have a program worth supporting.

I think there are a lot of fans that just want some glimmer of hope to get back on board. Maybe Zergiotis could be that spark?
The last 3 years were impossible to sit through. Competency shouldn't be that high a bar but Diaco really left deficient roster behind. It didn't help that defensive coaches Edsall brought in initially did the worst job in the history of FBS. These are many of the same players albeit a year older under the tutelage of Matt King but i was a broken record last year on the LB tackling.

Reaction Score
I think hope is the absolute key at this point. That allows for some more patience until the wins come.......hopefully!

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Like all the observations here; particularly about Wilson, Morgan and Gilmartin on D.

I think its very much time for Dante Black and/or O'Reilly (autoparts!) to get a few series in the next game. Edsall is showing a shorter fuse these days. Its the proper next step for the evolution of this team.

We also need to add a passing element to RBs. Swing them out and drop it off a couple times. And try to run a few rushing plays outside the tackles.

Edit update: Add some spread to this offense, get them spread out so Jack Zergiotis can attack.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Like all the observations here; particularly about Wilson, Morgan and Gilmartin on D.

I think its very much time for Dante Black and/or O'Reilly (autoparts!) to get a few series in the next game. Edsall is showing a shorter fuse these days. Its the proper next step for the evolution of this deal.

We also need to add a passing element to RBs. Swing them out and drop it off a couple times. And try to run a few rushing plays outside the tackles.
Zavier Scott was a real weapon catching out of the backfield last year. He is also a legit speedster. I would try a way to scheme him in somehow.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Are you going to favor them by 20.5 against Eastern Michigan? Then post for three days saying it's easy money?

im not sure what you think you read but cool
story bro

Reaction Score
Poor kickoffs and punts in the first half cost us field position, cost us 3-7 points. Migliozzi was dreadful in the first half. At least we made our field goals.

Reaction Score
Thanks BL. I had another observation at the game yesterday.

One last point. Illinois’ kicking, punting, and returns were much better than UConn’s yesterday. Illinois’ kickoffs went further and they had better kick returns. And, their kicker hit a 53 yarder into the wind to end the 1st half which was impressive.

My mistake. Meant to mention special teams but forgot. You are spot on. But for our FG kicker, we are losing in all aspects of special teams play. Need to be better

Reaction Score
Need to limit Mensah’s role. He’s a poor RB. I don’t think he gets to his holes well at all. He missed some pretty sizable creases that closed up while he hesitate or took the wrong cut. Kudos on the TD run by sheer effort, though

Reaction Score
The last 3 years were impossible to sit through. Competency shouldn't be that high a bar but Diaco really left deficient roster behind. It didn't help that defensive coaches Edsall brought in initially did the worst job in the history of FBS. These are many of the same players albeit a year older under the tutelage of Matt King but i was a broken record last year on the LB tackling.
Yes- Matt King is amazing and the kids are a year older. Nice supplement via grad transfer and Juco players.
I keep saying this: the entire defense is coming back next year. And a lot of the skills on offense for multiple years.
There’s promise. Trending upwards
Nice to see optimism getting rewarded

Reaction Score
Who is the back up to Herring Wilson. He needs to play.
Our TE's are capable and Williams is a big target so use them!
I would like to see Travis start to get more tackles. That means continuing to drop weight and get faster.
We still need to turn around and look for the ball when it comes to our secondary.
Skanes needs to catch the punts.
Whoever was in charge of the Tee shirt Gatling gun fiasco should be given a clinic in how it works. Just embarrassing the ineptitude. Many of the endless timeout activities are not worth the effort.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
No need to start my own thread so I'll add on to this well constructed Businesslawyer post.

1) I have always looked for the IT factor in a QB. A guy who can take the game over and lead us to victory when it is winning time. Danny O had it, Tyler Lorenzen had it and I thought Cochran and Bryant Shireffs had it. Zergiotis might have it but right now he is at a Cody Endres level.. He has a lot to learn as he was slow reading the D and that caused some sacks. We don't know if he can run because he kept it simple. That said, he has a rifle for an arm and is very accurate. More work with the 1s will help with routes and timing. More looks at Defenses will help him with his reads. I also think some semi rollouts will make it easier for him as he will only need to read half the field. RE made the right call starting him next game- let's see if he can develop and stay healthy. If not, Beaudry will be back and maybe even Leon or Krajewski.

2) I think Mensah is workmanlike, but he hasn't show the ability to make people miss at the second level and turn 4-6 yards into 11+. Thompkins had a bad game overall on Saturday, missing blocks, fumbling a kickoff and mindlessly not going after another kickoff. Illinois was keying on him and the next step is to get him in space or use him as a decoy. That said, we need to use Black or Donevin O'Reilly because Mensah and Thompkins will be burned out by week 6.

It's been a while since we had a good group of fast young receivers. We have had a Geremy Davis, a Kashif Moore, a Noel Thomas or a Hergy Mayala, but not a 3 some like this. Drayton and Ross are exciting and are Freshman, Ardell Brown is really good and Hairston Maurisseau, et al will have time to develop. Happy for Donovan Williams and Jay Rose- they have had lots of adversity and its great to see them productive.

Defensively, it is night and day from the last 2 years. But there is so much more room to grow. Travis Jones is a beast- when he learns to get off the ball quickly, those 1 and 2 yard gains he stops will become no gain and tackles for a loss. Pace, Uguak, Thomas, et al will get bigger and better. Dillon is going to get better and better and Kevon Jones off the edge has the ability to be a play maker.

The LB's - Morgan had a heckuva a game. The sack strip and recovery was awesome to watch. Gilmartin improved a lot from game 1 to game 2 and he showed us a lot. Omar Fortt better step it up or we could see a Swenson, Ganyi or Mitchell get some of his reps.

The DB's are better. Keyshawn Paul, penalties not withstanding, competed really well and is now our top corner. Herring-Wilson had a horrible game and my hope is if he doesn't improve, we have someone ready to take his spot. By the way, Harrell and Coyle are good safeties. Harrell needs to work on his angles and I still think Coyle could impact the game more, but they are a strength right now.

The biggest area of improvement is on the special teams- Kick off coverage has been putrid for 2 games. Watch for the runners going to the middle and bit to the right- our left side isn't staying in their lanes and are creating creases over and over again. We haven't really done anything on the return game and I would take Thompkins out of that unit to save him moving forward. Migliozzi looks like he is trying to not outkick his coverage and that has affected his kicks. They have been too low and short. Young made his debut this week and only put one in the end zone. I want him putting them all in the end zone and that would cover up the deficiency in kick coverage. Harris had done nothing wrong since he took over the job. No complaints here. Remember, RE used to have great special teams, we won't be fully back until all three phases are humming.

The last phase is the O line. You saw next years line after losing Peart and I thought Niederowski battled well but was overpowered too many times. Illinois loaded the box and dared us to throw. That is one reason the running game was anemic. The other is that there seems to be a blown block at a key time in each run. Thompkins blew a block that would have sprung Mensah for 6. Guys aren't getting to the second and third levels to make a key block. These are all fixable.

This is long so I will leave it at this- my parallel for this team is 2002. It looked bad at 2 and 6 and then the light went on and they finished 6 and 6 and took off the next year. The parallels are similar and now that we have a freshman qb who appears to have an upside, it is remarkably similar. This team first had to get into close games and then they need to learn how to win them. 1 TD versus a field goal, not throwing a bad pick at the end of the half resulting in 3 points and now you have a totally different ending. They are little things that a team getting blown out by 30 at the half knows nothing about. I still think we win at least 4 and the fans will start to come back slowly but surely.

Finally, something has to be done about the student section. They can't leave a half time. Just can't. They need to be the back bone to fan support and something has to be done. Maybe make attendance a 3 credit course with class time talking about being a cohesive fanbase. Requirements - full game attendance at football and other UConn sports. Hardcore out.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I think our play-calling and scheme are as big a problem for the running game as any of the personnel. The running plays take forever to develop, and they almost always require a running back to change direction of 90 degrees or more in the backfield, which often requires the RB to stop completely in the backfield. Edsall and the OC are just serving up the RB's for beatings. We don't have the line blocking or speed in the backfield for this kind of offense, but I do think Mensah and Thompkins could be moderately effective in a pistol offense or with the QB under center. Everything starts too far back with the QB in the shotgun.

The technique of the secondary is pretty bad. They are constantly getting turned around. I know it is a young group so I expect that to improve with time.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom