The View From Section 241 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The View From Section 241

Reaction Score
No need to start my own thread so I'll add on to this well constructed Businesslawyer post.

1) I have always looked for the IT factor in a QB. A guy who can take the game over and lead us to victory when it is winning time. Danny O had it, Tyler Lorenzen had it and I thought Cochran and Bryant Shireffs had it. Zergiotis might have it but right now he is at a Cody Endres level.. He has a lot to learn as he was slow reading the D and that caused some sacks. We don't know if he can run because he kept it simple. That said, he has a rifle for an arm and is very accurate. More work with the 1s will help with routes and timing. More looks at Defenses will help him with his reads. I also think some semi rollouts will make it easier for him as he will only need to read half the field. RE made the right call starting him next game- let's see if he can develop and stay healthy. If not, Beaudry will be back and maybe even Leon or Krajewski.

2) I think Mensah is workmanlike, but he hasn't show the ability to make people miss at the second level and turn 4-6 yards into 11+. Thompkins had a bad game overall on Saturday, missing blocks, fumbling a kickoff and mindlessly not going after another kickoff. Illinois was keying on him and the next step is to get him in space or use him as a decoy. That said, we need to use Black or Donevin O'Reilly because Mensah and Thompkins will be burned out by week 6.

It's been a while since we had a good group of fast young receivers. We have had a Geremy Davis, a Kashif Moore, a Noel Thomas or a Hergy Mayala, but not a 3 some like this. Drayton and Ross are exciting and are Freshman, Ardell Brown is really good and Hairston Maurisseau, et al will have time to develop. Happy for Donovan Williams and Jay Rose- they have had lots of adversity and its great to see them productive.

Defensively, it is night and day from the last 2 years. But there is so much more room to grow. Travis Jones is a beast- when he learns to get off the ball quickly, those 1 and 2 yard gains he stops will become no gain and tackles for a loss. Pace, Uguak, Thomas, et al will get bigger and better. Dillon is going to get better and better and Kevon Jones off the edge has the ability to be a play maker.

The LB's - Morgan had a heckuva a game. The sack strip and recovery was awesome to watch. Gilmartin improved a lot from game 1 to game 2 and he showed us a lot. Omar Fortt better step it up or we could see a Swenson, Ganyi or Mitchell get some of his reps.

The DB's are better. Keyshawn Paul, penalties not withstanding, competed really well and is now our top corner. Herring-Wilson had a horrible game and my hope is if he doesn't improve, we have someone ready to take his spot. By the way, Harrell and Coyle are good safeties. Harrell needs to work on his angles and I still think Coyle could impact the game more, but they are a strength right now.

The biggest area of improvement is on the special teams- Kick off coverage has been putrid for 2 games. Watch for the runners going to the middle and bit to the right- our left side isn't staying in their lanes and are creating creases over and over again. We haven't really done anything on the return game and I would take Thompkins out of that unit to save him moving forward. Migliozzi looks like he is trying to not outkick his coverage and that has affected his kicks. They have been too low and short. Young made his debut this week and only put one in the end zone. I want him putting them all in the end zone and that would cover up the deficiency in kick coverage. Harris had done nothing wrong since he took over the job. No complaints here. Remember, RE used to have great special teams, we won't be fully back until all three phases are humming.

The last phase is the O line. You saw next years line after losing Peart and I thought Niederowski battled well but was overpowered too many times. Illinois loaded the box and dared us to throw. That is one reason the running game was anemic. The other is that there seems to be a blown block at a key time in each run. Thompkins blew a block that would have sprung Mensah for 6. Guys aren't getting to the second and third levels to make a key block. These are all fixable.

This is long so I will leave it at this- my parallel for this team is 2002. It looked bad at 2 and 6 and then the light went on and they finished 6 and 6 and took off the next year. The parallels are similar and now that we have a freshman qb who appears to have an upside, it is remarkably similar. This team first had to get into close games and then they need to learn how to win them. 1 TD versus a field goal, not throwing a bad pick at the end of the half resulting in 3 points and now you have a totally different ending. They are little things that a team getting blown out by 30 at the half knows nothing about. I still think we win at least 4 and the fans will start to come back slowly but surely.

Finally, something has to be done about the student section. They can't leave a half time. Just can't. They need to be the back bone to fan support and something has to be done. Maybe make attendance a 3 credit course with class time talking about being a cohesive fanbase. Requirements - full game attendance at football and other UConn sports. Hardcore out.
I agree with all of this. Particularly the 2002 comparison. And I recall reading that after one of the last losses Edsall went ballistic on the team (I think it was Vanderbilt). Up to that point he had been relativrly supportive.

I also think the 2nd quarter meltdown didn’t help keep the crowd in the game. And as someone rightly pointed out it was a two way meltdown. A couple of first down would have changed the complexion as would a pass rush. People near me were talking about “here we go again”. A couple left and didn’t return. A couple more got up to go after the 2nd half kickoff return but came back after the strip sack, lol.

Reaction Score
Two things to add:
Rose and Williams make a very good duo at TE. I think they could be great.
It was refreshing to see the secondary line up pre-snap within the TV picture not 10 yards off as in the previous 6 years.
Williams is great, but Rose also really impressed with his one handed grab and holding on to the ball after getting slammed. He also blocks well.

Reaction Score
I just don’t feel like nitpicking much. I just want to see things keep trending in the right direction.

We need to measure progress in 3 and outs, sacks, turnovers. And in the same vein with the offense.

Reaction Score
No need to start my own thread so I'll add on to this well constructed Businesslawyer post.

1) I have always looked for the IT factor in a QB. A guy who can take the game over and lead us to victory when it is winning time. Danny O had it, Tyler Lorenzen had it and I thought Cochran and Bryant Shireffs had it. Zergiotis might have it but right now he is at a Cody Endres level.. He has a lot to learn as he was slow reading the D and that caused some sacks. We don't know if he can run because he kept it simple. That said, he has a rifle for an arm and is very accurate. More work with the 1s will help with routes and timing. More looks at Defenses will help him with his reads. I also think some semi rollouts will make it easier for him as he will only need to read half the field. RE made the right call starting him next game- let's see if he can develop and stay healthy. If not, Beaudry will be back and maybe even Leon or Krajewski.

2) I think Mensah is workmanlike, but he hasn't show the ability to make people miss at the second level and turn 4-6 yards into 11+. Thompkins had a bad game overall on Saturday, missing blocks, fumbling a kickoff and mindlessly not going after another kickoff. Illinois was keying on him and the next step is to get him in space or use him as a decoy. That said, we need to use Black or Donevin O'Reilly because Mensah and Thompkins will be burned out by week 6.

It's been a while since we had a good group of fast young receivers. We have had a Geremy Davis, a Kashif Moore, a Noel Thomas or a Hergy Mayala, but not a 3 some like this. Drayton and Ross are exciting and are Freshman, Ardell Brown is really good and Hairston Maurisseau, et al will have time to develop. Happy for Donovan Williams and Jay Rose- they have had lots of adversity and its great to see them productive.

Defensively, it is night and day from the last 2 years. But there is so much more room to grow. Travis Jones is a beast- when he learns to get off the ball quickly, those 1 and 2 yard gains he stops will become no gain and tackles for a loss. Pace, Uguak, Thomas, et al will get bigger and better. Dillon is going to get better and better and Kevon Jones off the edge has the ability to be a play maker.

The LB's - Morgan had a heckuva a game. The sack strip and recovery was awesome to watch. Gilmartin improved a lot from game 1 to game 2 and he showed us a lot. Omar Fortt better step it up or we could see a Swenson, Ganyi or Mitchell get some of his reps.

The DB's are better. Keyshawn Paul, penalties not withstanding, competed really well and is now our top corner. Herring-Wilson had a horrible game and my hope is if he doesn't improve, we have someone ready to take his spot. By the way, Harrell and Coyle are good safeties. Harrell needs to work on his angles and I still think Coyle could impact the game more, but they are a strength right now.

The biggest area of improvement is on the special teams- Kick off coverage has been putrid for 2 games. Watch for the runners going to the middle and bit to the right- our left side isn't staying in their lanes and are creating creases over and over again. We haven't really done anything on the return game and I would take Thompkins out of that unit to save him moving forward. Migliozzi looks like he is trying to not outkick his coverage and that has affected his kicks. They have been too low and short. Young made his debut this week and only put one in the end zone. I want him putting them all in the end zone and that would cover up the deficiency in kick coverage. Harris had done nothing wrong since he took over the job. No complaints here. Remember, RE used to have great special teams, we won't be fully back until all three phases are humming.

The last phase is the O line. You saw next years line after losing Peart and I thought Niederowski battled well but was overpowered too many times. Illinois loaded the box and dared us to throw. That is one reason the running game was anemic. The other is that there seems to be a blown block at a key time in each run. Thompkins blew a block that would have sprung Mensah for 6. Guys aren't getting to the second and third levels to make a key block. These are all fixable.

This is long so I will leave it at this- my parallel for this team is 2002. It looked bad at 2 and 6 and then the light went on and they finished 6 and 6 and took off the next year. The parallels are similar and now that we have a freshman qb who appears to have an upside, it is remarkably similar. This team first had to get into close games and then they need to learn how to win them. 1 TD versus a field goal, not throwing a bad pick at the end of the half resulting in 3 points and now you have a totally different ending. They are little things that a team getting blown out by 30 at the half knows nothing about. I still think we win at least 4 and the fans will start to come back slowly but surely.

Finally, something has to be done about the student section. They can't leave a half time. Just can't. They need to be the back bone to fan support and something has to be done. Maybe make attendance a 3 credit course with class time talking about being a cohesive fanbase. Requirements - full game attendance at football and other UConn sports. Hardcore out.
"Finally, something has to be done about the student section. They can't leave a half time. Just can't. They need to be the back bone to fan support and something has to be done." Nothing to be done except on campus stadium.

Reaction Score
"Finally, something has to be done about the student section. They can't leave a half time. Just can't. They need to be the back bone to fan support and something has to be done." Nothing to be done except on campus stadium.

Yes. Moving further away from your paying customers and donors with a program bleeding money is just an absolutely brilliant strategy to improve things.

Reaction Score
Like all the observations here; particularly about Wilson, Morgan and Gilmartin on D.

I think its very much time for Dante Black and/or O'Reilly (autoparts!) to get a few series in the next game. Edsall is showing a shorter fuse these days. Its the proper next step for the evolution of this team.

We also need to add a passing element to RBs. Swing them out and drop it off a couple times. And try to run a few rushing plays outside the tackles.

Edit update: Add some spread to this offense, get them spread out so Jack Zergiotis can attack.

Remember that O'Reilly beat Mensah out last year before blowing his knee out right before the start of the season. Does anyone have any idea if he's back to where he was? It would hardly be surprising if he wasn't.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Yes. Moving further away from your paying customers and donors with a program bleeding money is just an absolutely brilliant strategy to improve things.

The on-campus argument is so tiring. The students get free tickets and have to take a 30 min bus ride with their friends to go cook food, drink beer, and watch college football. I'm not crying for them.

Reaction Score
It isn’t like students didn’t show up before. For that matter the student section was decently full in the first half. They absolutely bolted though at halftime. Moving onto campus might, and I stress might, make a small difference but honestly I doubt it.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Remember that O'Reilly beat Mensah out last year before blowing his knee out right before the start of the season. Does anyone have any idea if he's back to where he was? It would hardly be surprising if he wasn't.
Yep, true....but I have no good insight on O'Reilly's recovery.

Mensah already looks a little beat down after two games. I think it would be roster mismanagement not to get Black and O'Reilly into the next game for several snaps. Maybe even let Mensah take a game off...get some recovery going.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
The UConn conundrum. Choose income over loyalty and when the program is down, lose both. The idea of an on campus stadium is long gone. But for every paying sport the UConn students get the worst seats and no encouragement to stay. The only way to sustain support over the long term is through an interested alum base that begins with student life. I’ve had great seats from day one which now has as many visiting fans as UConn people. I have a great view of the student section empty almost totally between the half and the end of the 3rd. I don’t know if giving students better seats would do anything for their attendance. But they sure won’t be displacing that many paying customers.

Reaction Score
Outside is special teams, the team performed way better than last week. They showed a lot of improvement. My only nitpick thing is there was still a lot missed tackles/arm tackles. Seemed like Illinois had a bunch of yards off initial contact especially when it was behind the line of scrimmage. I think Spanos will have that shored up and we could really see a defense that we have seen in the past. If this keeps up, we might steal some wins this year and get a bowl game.

Reaction Score
The UConn conundrum. Choose income over loyalty and when the program is down, lose both. The idea of an on campus stadium is long gone. But for every paying sport the UConn students get the worst seats and no encouragement to stay. The only way to sustain support over the long term is through an interested alum base that begins with student life. I’ve had great seats from day one which now has as many visiting fans as UConn people. I have a great view of the student section empty almost totally between the half and the end of the 3rd. I don’t know if giving students better seats would do anything for their attendance. But they sure won’t be displacing that many paying customers.

Every program has to deal with this issue. Every business has to deal with the issue of short term success versus building for the future. On most of what you raise, there are no easy answers. Although I will say this -- if you can't get the students to go to the Rent for basically free as students, why in the world do you think they are going to be season ticket holding alumni when they have to pay for it, spend more time getting there and are busier in their lives?

But there is an easy answer for the question should we move the football back to Storrs.

Last edited:

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

What are you talking about? First off, there is no bad seat in Gampel. Period. And they have behind the basket court level for the visitor side. Secondly, given the amount of people that have shown up to Hartford the past few years, any student could be about 20 feet from the baseline most nights. Third, at The Rent the endzone seat in a 40,000 seat area isn't half bad at all. The "worst" seats were Top of The Rent and even those weren't bad. Let's not act like we're sticking the students in the 7th tier at Jerry World.

Also, encouragement to stay? What is that even supposed to mean? You want to pay people to stay at a sporting event?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Absolutely, and slightly more brilliant than moving away from the students who will be your fan base for the next 4 decades.

(That said, it's not happening.)

CL82

Reaction Score
Every program has to deal with this issue. Every business has to deal with the issue of short term success versus building for the future. On most of what you raise, there are no easy answers.
Every program does have to deal with this issue and virtually all of them resolve it by having an on campus stadium. The alumni somehow manage to make it back to campus.
Although I will say this -- if you can't get the students to go to the Rent for basically free as students, why in the world do you think they are going to be season ticket holding alumni when they have to pay for it, spend more time getting there and are busier in their lives?
Because fandom is acquired habit. Making it easier for kids to be a part of it when they are in school makes more likely that they will want to continue afterwards.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
What are you talking about? First off, there is no bad seat in Gampel. Period. And they have behind the basket court level for the visitor side. Secondly, given the amount of people that have shown up to Hartford the past few years, any student could be about 20 feet from the baseline most nights. Third, at The Rent the endzone seat in a 40,000 seat area isn't half bad at all. The "worst" seats were Top of The Rent and even those weren't bad. Let's not act like we're sticking the students in the 7th tier at Jerry World.

Also, encouragement to stay? What is that even supposed to mean? You want to pay people to stay at a sporting event?
I guess you don’t have kids who go to some of the Big G schools or are too young to know where students sat in the old Fieid House. They get good side seats where you are close to the action at both ends. And I was at school during the Kimball/Bialosuknia years when the Field House was packed ( with about the same number of people actually going to the Rent these days).

UConn made the choice to devalue loyalty in the name of revenue. The result is that lots of long time seasons ticket holders, many of them alums, were forced to either make the big donations or lose the seating they had developed with points over two or more decades. Many said screw it. A ton of seats were bought by corporate groups. I have great FB seats, had to give up men’s hoops but had great seats there. If the team was not very good or was not playing decent opponents, there were and are a bunch of empty choice seats. Alums behave differently and,um, Alums by definition were students

As I said to @businesslaw, it’s a conundrum. UConn came down heavily on the side of revenue. I have a very close friend who works in the athletic ticket office and have a pretty fair idea about the schemes being used to bolster attendance. For football, it’s totally flopping and who knows if even a great team will ring back alum in numbers.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The on-campus argument is so tiring. The students get free tickets and have to take a 30 min bus ride with their friends to go cook food, drink beer, and watch college football. I'm not crying for them.

You can see it as they stumble in before games. It is an absolute Pack mentality. Someone - a whaler11 type - tells them that it's not cool to root for a struggling (formerly 1-11) Team and they all go back to their way back to the dorm, following the leader. My view - and this is absolutely anecdotal - is a large number are Women. It is great to be seen. But the competitive fire of a real game - which Illinois was - is lost on them. A few turnovers and big plays. Frankly, Wagner was closer; but that one was cooked to well done early in the second half. (the score was scary though)

There is not going to be any discussion of New Capital Outlay from this State. They have made numerous commitments in recent years and they are going to watch those play out.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Every program does have to deal with this issue and virtually all of them resolve it by having an on campus stadium. The alumni somehow manage to make it back to campus.

What's a better comparison for UConn's situation though? Let's compare apples and apples. Just because Utah State may have an on campus stadium in the middle of nowhere in Utah doesn't have much bearing on our situation.

Look around us in the Northeast:

-Rutgers Stadium is technically "on campus" but you have to get into a car and cross a river to get to it from College Avenue and its a different town.
-Temple plays off campus in Lincoln Financial Field
-BC plays on-campus and drew an "announced" attendance of only 35k for Virginia Tech for crying out loud.
-Cuse plays in the Dome, but in the middle of nowhere in upstate NY.
-Pitt plays off campus at Heinz Field.
-Maryland plays on campus and only drew an announced 33k for a ranked Syracuse team.

So, to your point, I don't think the alumni are flooding back to campus for college football in the northeast, and given the comparable above were not all that dissimilar in terms of our stadium situation.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I guess you don’t have kids who go to some of the Big G schools or are too young to know where students sat in the old Fieid House. They get good side seats where you are close to the action at both ends. And I was at school during the Kimball/Bialosuknia years when the Field House was packed ( with about the same number of people actually going to the Rent these days).

UConn made the choice to devalue loyalty in the name of revenue. The result is that lots of long time seasons ticket holders, many of them alums, were forced to either make the big donations or lose the seating they had developed with points over two or more decades. Many said screw it. A ton of seats were bought by corporate groups. I have great FB seats, had to give up men’s hoops but had great seats there. If the team was not very good or was not playing decent opponents, there were and are a bunch of empty choice seats. Alums behave differently and,um, Alums by definition were students

As I said to @businesslaw, it’s a conundrum. UConn came down heavily on the side of revenue. I have a very close friend who works in the athletic ticket office and have a pretty fair idea about the schemes being used to bolster attendance. For football, it’s teally flopping and who knows if even a great team will ring back alum in numbers.

I'm 33, so I was at UConn 05-09 and took the bus to The Rent/XL and got Gampel tickets for either waiting for them early in the AM (2005-2006) and then it went to the wristband lottery.

I don't think the AD has treated the season ticket holders fairly, but I don't think that has anything to do with the students? You're absolutely right that they shouldn't have screwed over long time supporters of the program in lieu of short term cash infusions. This weekend where they gave away tickets for free was a slap in the face to the few remaining people who pay seat donations for the privilege to sit at The Rent.

Hypothetically, if the stadium was on campus, we'd lose the majority of our season ticket holders, to see what an extra 200 kids show up for 30 minutes before leaving?

People are acting that if the stadium was somehow on campus, we'd have 12,000 students there every game. The students couldn't even pack Gampel for decent games this year and it was FREE.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I'm 33, so I was at UConn 05-09 and took the bus to The Rent/XL and got Gampel tickets for either waiting for them early in the AM (2005-2006) and then it went to the wristband lottery.

I don't think the AD has treated the season ticket holders fairly, but I don't think that has anything to do with the students? You're absolutely right that they shouldn't have screwed over long time supporters of the program in lieu of short term cash infusions. This weekend where they gave away tickets for free was a slap in the face to the few remaining people who pay seat donations for the privilege to sit at The Rent.

Hypothetically, if the stadium was on campus, we'd lose the majority of our season ticket holders, to see what an extra 200 kids show up for 30 minutes before leaving?

People are acting that if the stadium was somehow on campus, we'd have 12,000 students there every game. The students couldn't even pack Gampel for decent games this year and it was FREE.
The plan to build on campus before the Rent plan was killed by Mansfield residents worried about traffic.- For about two hours before and after games on 6-7 days-a year. And it’s not like there wasn’t an on campus stadium although obviously not as big or potentially as busy as the Rent.

As far as non alums or people from other parts of the area not willing to go to Storrs- few days of the year, that’s probably right and a sad comment. One of my kids did grad work at Vztech. There ain’t too many big schools in such a pain in the butt places to get to than Blacksburg and Virginia is way bigger than CT. And the gams are packed and hotels hard to come by on game weekends. Location of Storrs says more about General fab interest than where the school is. Of course route 195 is not really adequate for crowds of 40 thou or more.

CL82

Reaction Score
What's a better comparison for UConn's situation though? Let's compare apples and apples. Just because Utah State may have an on campus stadium in the middle of nowhere in Utah doesn't have much bearing on our situation.

Look around us in the Northeast:

-Rutgers Stadium is technically "on campus" but you have to get into a car and cross a river to get to it from College Avenue and its a different town.
-Temple plays off campus in Lincoln Financial Field
-BC plays on-campus and drew an "announced" attendance of only 35k for Virginia Tech for crying out loud.
-Cuse plays in the Dome, but in the middle of nowhere in upstate NY.
-Pitt plays off campus at Heinz Field.
-Maryland plays on campus and only drew an announced 33k for a ranked Syracuse team.

So, to your point, I don't think the alumni are flooding back to campus for college football in the northeast, and given the comparable above were not all that dissimilar in terms of our stadium situation.
You listed 6 schools. 4 of them play on campus and two play in pro stadiums. None of them built a stadium a half hour off campus.

(FWIW, I've been to SHI(T) Stadium many times. The kids all walk there.)

CL82

Reaction Score
The plan to build on campus before the Rent plan was killed by Mansfield residents worried about traffic.- For about two hours before and after games on 6-7 days-a year. And it’s not like there wasn’t an on campus stadium although obviously not as big or potentially as busy as the Rent.

As far as non alums or people from other parts of the area not willing to go to Storrs- few days of the year, that’s probably right and a sad comment. One of my kids did grad work at Vztech. There ain’t too many big schools in such a pain in the butt places to get to than Blacksburg and Virginia is way bigger than CT. And the gams are packed and hotels hard to come by on game weekends. Location of Storrs says more about General fab interest than where the school is. Of course route 195 is not really adequate for crowds of 40 thou or more.
Nope. The plan got killed because UConn asked the state to pay for the equivalent of the Rent, Burton and Shenkman and the state said no. The locals have screwed up many things for UConn but this isn't one of them.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Nope. The plan got killed because UConn asked the state to pay for the equivalent of the Rent, Burton and Shenkman and the state said no. The locals have screwed up many things for UConn but this isn't one of them.
Might not have been the only reason, but locals were against it for traffic reasons.but you’re right, money would’ve trumped the locals.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom