The View From Section 241 -- the NBE | Page 3 | The Boneyard

The View From Section 241 -- the NBE

Reaction Score
Knowing you've been a pessimistic person, I beg to differ. Let's just leave it at that. ;)

I know Hurley can recruit better in the Big East. But we have to operate as a whole AD in one conference to succeed. Like the big boys. And we've been on the rebound, only to jump ship?

There's no good answers here. There hasn't been since 2013 when our wonderful leaders allowed Basketball Hooker U to jump them.

Unlike 70% of the board I can't claim to know if this is the best thing ever or the worst thing ever. Just take a look at the responses to uconngb breaking this news 2 weeks ago on the CR board to know most here are just winging it as they go along. He was totally dismissed yet he turned out to be right.

I know this is very concerning news yet have to look at the positives of it to keep going. If UConn slips aways than so does a huge chunk of my memories so I need to at least try to look at the positives of this awful situation.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I'll bet recruits will be all aglow with the prospect of bus rides to Providence and New Jersey, instead of flying on those jets to the warm havens of Florida, Texas, Tennessee and Carolina in the icy winter months.

Yeah you are totally right, I think like say Kemba Walker or Shabazz Napier's family would definitely prefer that.

Reaction Score
Basketball’s problem, like football was a coaching one. The AAC didn’t prevent Ollie from pulling in a top-25 recruiting class and it certainly didn’t cause him to alienate the class such that the majority left. Hurley is a good coach and I have no doubt that he will right the ship, regardless of conference.

The long-term concern is a revenue one and the curious choice to again realign the school with ten institutions that have entirely different missions academically and much smaller budgets athletically.

I really hope it works and every team comes out better, but I’m very fearful that this isn’t only footballs death sentence, but the start of a slow decline across the board, first as UConn falls out of the FBS club and then as more and more of the attention is focused on the top tier (old 1A, without football we’d fall back to the old 1AAA group).

Winner winner chicken dinner. Basketball was just fine in the aac. And all signs point that Hurley is going to get UCONN to elite status again. Why? Oh I don’t know, maybe UCONN shelled out money for coaching? Maybe? Ollie ended up being a mistake and they replaced him and paid Hurley and assistants very well. When Hurley leaves in a few years the next coach will also be compensated well.

Now. . . Let’s look at the more important program - football. Is it more popular? Of course not, basketball is an established brand at UCONN (hence the reason they would be just fine in the AAC). But football is more important. Let’s look at similar situation. UCONN screws the pooch by signing Diaco. They realize the mistake and replace him with . . . The cheapest coach they could get. And they pay his assistants 25 cents a year.

See the difference? The lack of strategic vision over the last ten years by this administration has been frightening. And they just put the final nails in the coffin.

But it was a no brainer.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I got legitimately excited about UConn's baseball program this year. Although I don't watch regularly, I'm happy with any championship the women's BB team can bring. And I'd love to see soccer get back to the heights it did under Morrone. Anytime we can be a competing for a championship in any sport, I'm on board.

That simply wasn't going to happen in football after we got kicked in the nuts during the first couple of rounds of CR. Blame it on whomever you want to blame it on, but trying to create a championship calibre football team in the northeast is a folly. And an extremely expensive one at that.

In the end, even if I don't care about a sport, if UConn is a champion in it, or at least a national power, I believe it counts on the scorecard. This is about more than football. It's about plotting a course for a future where our university doesn't have to resort to ripping off students and taxpayers to support a program that has no realistic chance of delivering the kinds of financial success that the "sky is falling if you end football" crowd seems to think possible.

When you're on welfare, you don't get to eat Waygu beef every week. You can dream about it, but you're not entitled to it. Live within your means. Regroup. Come up with a plan that gets you off the dole and feeling good about yourself.

I don't see this as a disaster. I see this more as an opportunity for UConn to show other institutions the light. The college FB landscape has changed significantly in the past decade. It's now a relatively small club that can legitimately have a program that competes in a meaningful manner and isn't a money sinkhole. We're not in the club and never will be. Take your wins elsewhere and stop worrying about what losing an opportunity at a P5 will do to your superjohn. Think with the head on top of your shoulders.

End of the day, you can still tailgate. And what's more important than hoisting a few with friends? Certainly not the game itself.

Reaction Score
I got legitimately excited about UConn's baseball program this year. Although I don't watch regularly, I'm happy with any championship the women's BB team can bring. And I'd love to see soccer get back to the heights it did under Morrone. Anytime we can be a competing for a championship in any sport, I'm on board.

That simply wasn't going to happen in football after we got kicked in the nuts during the first couple of rounds of CR. Blame it on whomever you want to blame it on, but trying to create a championship calibre football team in the northeast is a folly. And an extremely expensive one at that.

In the end, even if I don't care about a sport, if UConn is a champion in it, or at least a national power, I believe it counts on the scorecard. This is about more than football. It's about plotting a course for a future where our university doesn't have to resort to ripping off students and taxpayers to support a program that has no realistic chance of delivering the kinds of financial success that the "sky is falling if you end football" crowd seems to think possible.

When you're on welfare, you don't get to eat Waygu beef every week. You can dream about it, but you're not entitled to it. Live within your means. Regroup. Come up with a plan that gets you off the dole and feeling good about yourself.

I don't see this as a disaster. I see this more as an opportunity for UConn to show other institutions the light. The college FB landscape has changed significantly in the past decade. It's now a relatively small club that can legitimately have a program that competes in a meaningful manner and isn't a money sinkhole. We're not in the club and never will be. Take your wins elsewhere and stop worrying about what losing an opportunity at a P5 will do to your superjohn. Think with the head on top of your shoulders.

End of the day, you can still tailgate. And what's more important than hoisting a few with friends? Certainly not the game itself.

You think this will end up being a financially sound decision by the university?

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
You think this will end up being a financially sound decision by the university?

I'm not guaranteeing it, but yes, I think it could be. Better than the current path of losing $40+ mill per year.

Reaction Score
For the 5 millionth time, all it takes is coaches to turn a program around. It was not the conference, it was the hires. KO was good for a season or 2, then took his divorce out on the school and fanbase.
I do not disagree many of the wounds UConn sustained were self inflicted particularly in coaching hires and investments in the football program.

Unlike some I do not purely blame the AAC for UConn’s struggle. That said, the new media contract, the geographic separation and marginalization of UConn’s interests made recovering in the AAC much more difficult.

Moreover the time and money needed to repair football just wasn’t there. By 2024 the B12/AAC will see movement and if UConn is not competitive by then it’s really over.

The best predictor of football success is money and UConn wasn’t spending it on football and didn’t have easy funding to spend more on football.

Arguing whether bad coaches or a bad conference created a bad UConn is a chicken or the egg argument. How we got here doesn’t matter. What does matter is digging our way out in the AAC was becoming insurmountable.

Like I said I’m really disappointed in this decision but it is the most likely course to some success...it’s just a sad day.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
UConn MUST join the C7 and take the football program independent.

The posts in the UMass thread indicate just how much in denial people are about our situation. If UConn heads down the A12 path, it needs nearby regional schools like UMass in the league. Being in a southern mid-major league would be financially catastrophic for all sports. Ironically, football would feel the least pain in a league like that because there are only 4 conference road games. Field hockey, lacrosse, volleyball, basketball, soccer, and the rest will not just feel tremendous financial pain, but academically it will put enormous strain on the athletes because their will be so much travel. And for just about all of them, they are students first and athletes second. Not a lot of professional field hockey players out there.

Basketball will be really hurt in a terrible league like the A12. 3 decent opponents in the conference is not nearly enough. UConn will have to schedule 7-8 major conference opponents a year if it is in the A12. The problem is that we will lose a bunch of home games if we do that. Playing 8 or 9 conference road games, most of which will be against teams UConn would never go on the road against, means those games have to come out of paycheck Tier 3 games at home. That will be a lot of local TV revenue and ticket sales that will be lost, for BOTH basketball programs.

Football independence is viable for a while. BYU and Notre Dame would schedule a long-term series. ND would require us to play our "home" games in NY or Foxwoods, but if we could get a majority or even half the gate, who cares? Throw Idaho and NMSU on the schedule because we can probably get 2 for 1's with them. Those would be our November games every year. Hawaii will schedule anyone who will come out to the islands. Could Warde get off his butt and find 7-8 more games, at least for a few years? Probably. Syndicate the home TV rights regionally, which would probably generate more than this crappy A12 TV deal anyway. If we decide to pull the plug on the football program at any point, the basketball program is still on its feet.

The C7 benefits a lot from UConn. Providence, Seton Hall and St. Johns love playing UConn because it is a guaranteed sellout. Even Villanova and Georgetown draw a lot better for the Huskies than they do for almost any other school. Are they interested in dealing with a likely future departure? Probably not their first choice, but if they handicap it like I handicap it, they will realize it is no better than 50/50 that UConn leaves for another conference someday. They benefit from another high profile basketball program that actually has banners instead of just near misses, and everyone wins.

The A12 strategy is about as stupid a plan as UConn could have come up with. The school needs to reverse this disastrous decision as soon as possible.

I made the post above in March 2013. Either I am a genius, or it was freaking obvious what was going to happen when we joined the "A12" (AAC).

It is amazing that so many posters that have been so wrong about so much are giving lectures about the short-sightedness of leaving the American. We tried it their way, and it was a disaster.

Reaction Score
No one claimed any programs needed to be sacrificed lol. Basketball is in trouble due to complete ineptitude and inability to compete in the AAC.
Has been in trouble. Hurley is more interested in as many banners as possible, rather than long term stability.

Only way to succeed in that scenario is parlay basketball strength (they'll probably ask for games in men's AND women's basketball, eating into the OOC schedule) into football games. Who knows if schools will do that.

Reaction Score
I do not disagree many of the wounds UConn sustained were self inflicted particularly in coaching hires and investments in the football program.

Unlike some I do not purely blame the AAC for UConn’s struggle. That said, the new media contract, the geographic separation and marginalization of UConn’s interests made recovering in the AAC much more difficult.

Moreover the time and money needed to repair football just wasn’t there. By 2024 the B12/AAC will see movement and if UConn is not competitive by then it’s really over.

The best predictor of football success is money and UConn wasn’t spending it on football and didn’t have easy funding to spend more on football.

Arguing whether bad coaches or a bad conference created a bad UConn is a chicken or the egg argument. How we got here doesn’t matter. What does matter is digging our way out in the AAC was becoming insurmountable.

Like I said I’m really disappointed in this decision but it is the most likely course to some success...it’s just a sad day.
I don't think it's over by then, but what we are doing is taking an unprecedented risk.

Future generations can figure it out whether it was successful or not.

Reaction Score
I made the post above in March 2013. Either I am a genius, or it was freaking obvious what was going to happen when we joined the "A12" (AAC).

It is amazing that so many posters that have been so wrong about so much are giving lectures about the short-sightedness of leaving the American. We tried it their way, and it was a disaster.
We're back to the small time, hope you're happy.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
No, there is no major basketball sacrifice. I didn't even think we were "sacrificing" basketball. Putting words in my mouth. That's how low you gotta go to justify this?

It's weaklings like you who think we were sacrificing basketball.

I was giving you credit for recognizing that the AAC was a disaster for the basketball programs. Are you telling me you don't understand that?

Reaction Score
I was giving you credit for recognizing that the AAC was a disaster for the basketball programs. Are you telling me you don't understand that?
It wasn't a disaster, dummy. See Houston's new arena?

You take willing blindness for petty gratification to another level.

Reaction Score
It was a disaster because UConn couldn't compete in the AAC

Reaction Score
It wasn't a disaster, dummy. See Houston's new arena?

You take willing blindness for petty gratification to another level.
Nelson said something wrong years ago, and because it was said years ago he's now trying to convince us its somehow right in 2019. Nice try but do not buy it.

Reaction Score
This is a classic dilemma.

On one side, we have a massive football investment and it seems wasteful to just let it die on the vine.

On the other we have two historically great basketball teams that have fanbases infected with apathy.

We’re more likely to course correct basketball by switching conferences than we are going to course correct UConn Football in the AAC.

I don’t have an issue with the strategy. I do have an issue with the lack of a good plan for football.

We need to see more meat in that area before I jump for joy.

Otherwise this is simply a desperate act akin to sealing off the bulkhead of a sinking ship and you have to drown a massive portion of the crew to save the whole for the greater good.

Reaction Score
There are a lot of small schools already closing their doors. The wealth inequality between P5 and all the rest is starting to mirror our country’s state. Guess what is happening to the middle class?
The schools in the AAC are growing or already rich, not going broke.

The only reason the Big East is not going broke is because the Catholic church, especially Jesuits, is not going broke.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I said this on the basketball board. We could’ve made this deal with the Big East three years ago, and we could make it five years from now. The timing is odd.

no bizlaw has it. its the aac tv contract.

they let navy keep their football rights but steal our women’s basketball value.

they had to stand up for themselves finally.

Reaction Score
no bizlaw has it. its the aac tv contract.

they let navy keep their football rights but steal our women’s basketball value.

they had to stand up for themselves finally.

Again. Not leaping for joy. But this fact isn’t lost on me.

So apparently there is a school called “Creighton” that is in nearby Omaha and I can go watch UConn play hoop and soccer there. Apparently “Creighton” takes soccer pretty seriously.

Reaction Score

So apparently there is a school called “Creighton” that is in nearby Omaha and I can go watch UConn play hoop and soccer there. Apparently “Creighton” takes soccer pretty seriously.
Creighton's soccer stadium is very, very nice. You'll enjoy that

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

yeah they won an NC or made a final recently.

I know you are being funny but they have a huge arena they pack to the gills.

When they were the one seed in the BET a few years ago they had 5-7k fans at MSG.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom