The View From Section 241 -- the NBE | Page 4 | The Boneyard

The View From Section 241 -- the NBE

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
I expect the P5 schools to eventually separate from the rest of college sports and conduct their own March Madness tournament where they'll proclaim to have the national champion.

Maybe in 5 years. Maybe in 25 years. But it will happen.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I expect the P5 schools to eventually separate from the rest of college sports and conduct their own March Madness tournament where they'll proclaim to have the national champion.

If they do that, they will leave the AAC and nobody will care.

If they do that and leave the Big East, the media will revolt.

Reaction Score
yeah they won an NC or made a final recently.

I know you are being funny but they have a huge arena they pack to the gills.

When they were the one seed in the BET a few years ago they had 5-7k fans at MSG.

Flyover state man. Omaha is a biggish place and “Creighton” is the biggest show in town. They have a big minor league baseball team and they are getting a USL D3 team soon too.

It’s about two hours away for me so I will partake.

Reaction Score

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I get BizLaw’s POV - but I work off these assumptions:

1. They can’t invest in the football program to a degree that allows them to compete in the AAC

2. Being a northern outlier with every local peer in the P5... you can’t win if you can’t beat BC/Cuse/Pitt/RU for some players - and they weren’t and even with a decent few recruiting weeks it’s nowhere near that level. There are going to be fewer and fewer players here - the youth participation issue is very real in the NE.

3. Zero coaching stability - anyone on the way up could have it kill their career. The OC is the last man standing - the DC was in a 5 figgy job as an analyst. They might pan out - but man without being able to entice good young coaches - tough

4. The fanbase rejected the AAC. I know people
keep saying if they win fans will come back. Define ‘win’. 9-4? Maybe. 6-6? aint nobody coming back.

I think some are mourning something that was long dead. The P5 invite wasn’t coming. It was just going to be a never ending slog of seasons where they went 3-9 at best and you’d get 10k at Rent when weather was nice and otherwise it’s friends and family.

They get the chance here to reset and right size. If they can make some scheduling deals - the money may be higher the schedule may be marginally worse but maybe it looks like 2002 and 2003 and it’s a lot more fun than 13-18.

Football was hurting basketball. Now perhaps basketball can help football. At least try and leverage your strengths rather than have your weaknesses exposed constantly while hanging in a peer group you hate.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Creighton's soccer stadium is very, very nice. You'll enjoy that

A bunch of the Dads on my sons soccer team played for Creighton. Playing soccer for that school is a pretty big deal in this area.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Flyover state man. Omaha is a biggish place and “Creighton” is the biggest show in town. They have a big minor league baseball team and they are getting a USL D3 team soon too.

It’s about two hours away for me so I will partake.

I actually like Omaha and Lincoln. I used to work the trade show circuit when I was younger and we had a week there in the summer.

Reaction Score
USF and UCF cheated to grow. I was correct! Typical in SEC territory. Not surprised.

Forgot Tulsa has an issue. Otherwise, other schools seem to be doing well. ECU has hog farmers for fans.

If you’re not cheating, you aren’t trying.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score

That may be correct.

Although ESPN hasn't protested UConn getting screwed throughout realignment. In fact, they're responsible in part for UConn getting screwed.

Reaction Score
I actually like Omaha and Lincoln. I used to work the trade show circuit when I was younger and we had a week there in the summer.

Omaha is very nice and getting nicer by the minute. Quaility of life up there is first rate. I also am a fan of Iowa City.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

They also aren’t going to do that. They will just tighten the financial noose on the 20+ mid major conferences.

zls44

Reaction Score
I'm actually not as backflips and celebrations as you'd assume over this. I'm happy but also want to realize there's FB die-hards who are justifiably ticked off. And I'd like to see *a* plan for football, as opposed to "we'll figure it out".

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
They also aren’t going to do that. They will just tighten the financial noose on the 20+ mid major conferences.
The problem isn't too many FBS schools, it's 378 "Division One" hoop schools.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I'm actually not as backflips and celebrations as you'd assume over this. I'm happy but also want to realize there's FB die-hards who are justifiably ticked off. And I'd like to see *a* plan for football, as opposed to "we'll figure it out".
I wonder if season ticket sales has caused a bit of panic where we have to leave tomorrow.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
My ex-wife is from Nebraska. She began college at Nebraska-Lincoln and graduated from SMU. I've been to Lincoln many times and liked it. We almost moved there from Dallas. Instead, we chose to divorce. Ha!

Reaction Score

This is only feasible with football. But I think it is a possibility.

zls44

Reaction Score
I wonder if season ticket sales has caused a bit of panic where we have to leave tomorrow.

I don't think they'd be shocked by how bad they are.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
My initial reaction was anger. Then it became sadness for football, baseball and the death of a P5 dream. Now I am at the stage that there has to be a strategic plan for this. Has to be. Leadership can't be this myopic. This was leaked a few weeks earlier than when UConn wanted to let this out. There are things that were still being negotiated and those timelines can't always be moved up.

Reaction Score
Looks like they are going to having the nicest training facility and locker rooms in all of FCS football. Sad, really sad. To bad the AAC totally undervalued their product when negotiating with ESPN. That and losing SNY killed it for UConn.

Reaction Score
This is not an easy column to write. I have loved UConn basketball since I moved to Connecticut in fall of '77. I have loved UConn football with maybe even a greater passion (as it was part of a more exclusive club) since they opened the Rent. The last few years have just been incredibly painful, watching something you love suffer the way our programs have. And it's not like I don't understand the move to the NBE. (And no, we are not moving back to the Big East -- we are leaving the real Big East, and woo to any of you who pretends this is really the Big East in my presence.) I get it. Political decisions unfortunately are made for the short term, and I get this in the short term. And I get that the majority of our fanbase will see this as a good thing. This is death for our football program (more on that in a moment) and disadvantageous to our baseball program, but is generally a very good thing for all our other non-revenue sports just based on cutting travel time and expenses alone and at least in the short term is a very good thing for basketball. But do I believe this is a good thing overall? No, I don't. I'd like to -- I really would -- but I can't get there. Let's take it in pieces.

For sports generally, this is a good thing. Less travel that has to be done on airplanes. Playing against more geographic rivals, which means more kids you played against growing up. More road games/matches/meets that your family can attend. Lower costs for the school. Generally it's a good thing, whether competition is up a little or down a little. Maybe it will help soccer revive, although I think that has more to do with needing a new coach. Hockey isn't effected -- plays in its own hockey league. For baseball, it's not a good thing but they'll survive. We have an outstanding coach, we have new facilities coming on line and we have established ourselves as THE program in the Northeastern United States. Not just New England, but the entire coast from PA up. Travel will be a little easier, in conference play will pull down SOS, you're not going to convince me this is a good thing for our baseball program but it will be fine. But let's talk women's basketball, men's basketball and football.

I don't follow women's hoops nearly as closely as many here, but I have to think that their inability to string together a few tough wins deep in the NCAAs and thus win championships is made more difficult by the fact that we don't seem to get any competition at all in the AAC. Yes, the NBE isn't the Big East. No Louisville, no Notre Dame, not even a Syracuse -- but even if it's just somewhat better maybe that will help. Other than that, Geno coaches the Globetrotters. Their popularity during the season doesn't come from their conference schedule anyway. Now, add the factors that we'll cover on the men's side in a moment (less travel, more rivalries that the fans and players care about) and I don't doubt this is a plus on the women's side.

For men's basketball, this is a short term boost, but not as big of one long term as many think. It will reduce travel, which should make road wins a little easier. While the conference is also spread out, it is obviously more northeast - centric than the American, which also helps fan interest and should increase attendance and fan intensity. The tourney in MSG is obviously a good thing both for our fanbase and recruiting. And, to be fair, over the last few years the NBE has been a better basketball conference than the American. By a ton? No. Are there factors (like the explosive growth of non-flagship state institutions in sunbelt states) that might cause the American to catch up or even surpass the NBE in hoops in the intermediate term? Yes, that's possible, although it's also possible their relative rank won't change. Do we run the risk that the football schools one day want to run their own basketball tourney and leave the basketball onlies entirely? Yes. That risk is still there, and I view it as more acute than when Lou Perkins convinced the administration that we needed football to protect basketball decades ago. But that's all long term. Short term, football fans can whine all they want but this is a good thing for the men's basketball program and that makes it popular overall with students, alumni and the state. Football having become as unwatchable as the last three years have been has guaranteed that the decisionmakers aren't listening to football fans because there aren't enough of them.

So what does this mean for football? Probably that FBS level football is on deathwatch. The fact that we applied to the NBE before we knew what we were doing with the football program says it all. The plan -- if you can call it that -- is that we don't have one because we don't care. We're putting our other sports in the NBE, we'll see if someone will take our football and if not we'll go independent. But that's a short term solution only. We won't survive as an independent. People don't care about our football program enough. I'm not even sure I do. If winning doesn't get you rewards and bowls, and you can't compare yourself to the teams you play every year, our program will die. Yes, I understand many think it's already dead but it's not. In the AAC, it only needs to start winning again and some attendance will come back. And winning just takes a great coach, a financial commitment and time in college football. Can Edsall get us back to our mildly winning ways? I don't know. If you've given up on him based on the last two years, that's fine and I get that. But someone could. But now I don't see it. We're UMass with a closer off campus stadium. We won't be playing FBS football in 10 years. I don't see how that's possible. For those that are saying they will pay that price because you can't see the light at the end of the tunnel anyway -- well, you need better eyesight. There was no light at the end of the tunnel about how we were going to compete on a P-6 level before we did it the first time either. Luckily, we didn't listen to the naysayers.

So that's it. I do get this. It will make people happier short term. And there are long term benefits. (And note I'm not dwelling on TV deals, because long term water will find its level.) But I hope basketball becomes Jim Calhoun era UConn again, because while this will be a great short term boost I'm not convinced the Big East will be so much better than the American long term that it will be a great long term boost. But I do know this will kill football. And without football, I fear one day basketball will die anyway.
nailed it... exactly how I feel.

Sadly, I think the leadership had this plan for the past 5 years. you can't starve a program and then be surprised at it's lack of success. Has any program been run worse than Uconn the past 5-10 years.

Reaction Score
The AAC was better than the NBE this past season in men's BB and is going to continue to get better. Without football, the NBE is about to begin a slow descent toward total irrelevancy. The fact that we've signed up to go along for that ride is mind numbingly stupid and short sighted.

We just committed football suicide, apparently to appease some dumber than dirt donors, who myopically care only about men's BB.

The NBE may be better than the AAC for travel, but most of the Olympic sports teams were only traveling to half the schools in the conference because the schedule was home and away every other year. If we have to travel to Omaha, Milwaukee, Chicago, Indianapolis and Cincinnati every year in all sports, it's almost a wash travel wise, except that some of those cities are closer than many in the AAC. If we were in the ACC the travel would be just as bad as the AAC and way worse that the NBE, but if they invited us tomorrow we'd be there in less time than it takes for the ink to dry on the contract. Why? Because of the money.

Speaking of money, the NBE doesn't pay any more, and very well could pay considerably less than what we were going to be making in the AAC, especially now that football bowl revenue sharing is gone, and the likelihood of getting big payday games on the road will be considerably more problematic as an Independent. This takes away most if not all the revenue generating potential that FBS football offers.

Football programs go through down cycles. It happens to the best of programs long term. We could have gotten out of this cycle, become competitive again, and started making bowl games, which improves recruiting, and then the winning begins to build on itself. We've done it before and could have done it again.

Why be an Independent now? We'll lose even more money than we have been, we'll be playing schedules that virtually guarantee less attendance, and for what? I think we're only going through the motions because neither this, or any other school administration, wants to go down in history as having cancelled a sport we've been playing since 1896, even longer than basketball. The politicians and taxpayers in CT would have a fit if they were to keep driving by Rentschler viewing it as a 90 million dollar white elephant.

Again we are victimized by small minded, short sighted, parochial, New England style thinking. Even if we never would have made it into a P5 league, we are voluntarily giving up any chance to join one for nostalgic only reasons. The NBE schools are mostly small Catholic institutions with small alumni bases and no national following. They've been routinely beaten in their TV ratings on Fox by women's BB games in the same time slots. Very few people nationally care about NBE basketball. Their level of opposition in men's and women's BB is a wash or worse compared to the AAC, and we are giving up the potential to make more money in a football conference to join a league which is about to go on a steady decline because it can't possibly keep up with P5 leagues that make several times more money. Also, the P5s may eventually split and form their own association for sports. If that happens, there's some chance that the AAC might go along with them as the best of the G5 leagues. The NBE will be relegated to a second tier, or lower level of competition if that happens. We're hitching our wagon to the wrong horse.
we just became UVM, Maine, UMass, URI, and UNH in one move. Yeah.
hell, just bring back the Yankee Conference.

Reaction Score
I have small ties to UConn, as I moved to CT 5 years ago and attend 3-4 football and 5-6 men's basketball games a year.

With those caveats, IMO this is complete incompetence and surrender. That's not a comment about the merits of joining the NBE for bball.

No competent university admin would get this far down the road without answers for all their athletics. I can only assume the admin have decided to go to FBS for football and will just play out the next couple of years, finally saying "see, we had no choice" in response to their self-fulfilling actions. If the UConn admin had any honesty and honor, they would come out and say "football is going FBS, details to follow".

Perhaps my perspective is naive, as I am only a few years vested in UConn athletics. And perhaps I haven't earned the right to post my opinion. But this is horrible leadership, and this short-time UConn fan wishes the university would just admit the truth of the situation.

Reaction Score
nailed it... exactly how I feel.

Sadly, I think the leadership had this plan for the past 5 years. you can't starve a program and then be surprised at it's lack of success. Has any program been run worse than Uconn the past 5-10 years.

How can anyone honesty say the UConn athletic program has been starved of resources? The $$$ thrown at bad coaches contracts and facilities upgrades is massive. UConn has the biggest G5 budget in the country and not much to show for it. Bad leadership ... probably .. but does anyone see that changing for the better in the near future?

Hate to say it but too many Uconn fans and in the local media are arrogant and fickle. They hate to see ECU on the schedule, but can't beat them in football. Everyone here was looking down at Buffalo as a non-conference game just a few years ago; now you are begging to join them in the MAC. K.O. wins a National Championship, but the school can't afford to buy him out when he loses the team. Cincinnati and Memphis aren't peers academically ... UConn really belongs in the Big Ten or ACC.

The lack of P5 revenue stream is the real problem and the State can't keep throwing good money after bad. Nothing was going to change by digging a deeper financial hole. State politics likely played a huge role behind the scenes. The pressure on the university to cut costs was what likely drove them to this. Corporations and wealthy residents are fleeing the State in unprecedented numbers and the State budget is on an unsustainable path.

Sorry, but the future of the entire State is in worse shape that UConn athletics and the fact that most people here are complaining and asking for more investment but have no way to pay for it is insulting to a lot of us taxpayers. It is easy to have a plan for when other people have to fund it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom