The View From Section 241 -- Temple | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The View From Section 241 -- Temple

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Other than sending a concussed quarterback out to play WR - starting Williams was the worst thing I've seen in this program since I started following closely in 1995.

Putting Boyle out there wasn't great either.

Reaction Score
Agreed to a point - we can all agree that BS is not a D-1 level FBS quarterback. However, I think Biz is on to something when he suggested that the move affected the mood of the team. Two completely contradictory moves after the ECU game: changed the OC; put in an experienced QB who is clearly not ready yet (with a very limited play sheet, to boot). I'd rather have seen Anderson or even the 3rd string in than burn Williams' RS in that game. If they wanted to burn the RS and see what Williams has - which is in fact consistent with what the staff did in 2014 when it played the majority of the roster's FR - the time to do it was after the bye week. 2 weeks practicing with the "1s" is much better than 4/5 days to get ready for a good Temple team on a short week.

But I agree - BS isn't winning the game Friday. Unfortunately for us, no QB on our roster was going to win on Friday. Half of the roster looks like it has quit on the season and/or this coaching staff.

Imagine if they decide to start Shirreffs against BC. This board will explode.

Reaction Score
Not caring how people look in practice is an utterly amazing theory. Even for you. Have you ever worked in an organization? Should I just let young associates service clients directly even when they can't convince me they are ready for the responsibility within my office because -- I don't even know how to finish that.

I'd like to think you were just trolling with that suggestion. But I doubt it.

Maybe what Pal was saying is why do we even have upperclassmen Rishell, Bisack, and #7 GA on the roster if they are going to get passed over for burning a raw freshman's redshirt at the end of a crappy season? At least give Rishell/Bisack a chance to know what we have for next year. Perhaps ...?

Reaction Score
Maybe what Pal was saying is why do we even have upperclassmen Rishell, Bisack, and #7 GA on the roster if they are going to get passed over for burning a raw freshman's redshirt at the end of a crappy season? At least give Rishell/Bisack a chance to know what we have for next year. Perhaps ...?

Well, if that is what Palatine is trying to say IT"S STILL STUPID. What rational reason do you or he have to suggest that the coaches don't already know that Bismarck and Rishell (who is not viewed as a potential QB by the way -- he's a HS QB who walked on to be a backup kicker) are not anywhere near as good as either BS or Williams? Unless, of course, because you personally haven't seen them you don't have the ability to make that assumption.

Gravity still holding you down boss?

Reaction Score
I just hope BD can motivate the team to give a 100% effort mentally and physically against BC. An uninspired blowout loss to the Eagles will cause a major surge in the already critical fan base erosion we are experiencing and it will carry over into next year. Beat the Eagles and Tulane the following week and just maybe there's a ray of hope. Personally I don't see how this team beats BC, but maybe we can at least avoid the blowout.
Diaco plays for the no-blowout only to get blown out. The team will be hyped up to play. Too big and symbolic of an opponent. It will be like the Michigan game where they played inspired. If they stay in it for a while, I think they hang tough. If they go down a few scores, the wheels fall off in a hurry. There is little fight left in these guys when they are down.

Reaction Score

Actually that could be likely. Williams was clearly overmatched against Temple's D and with our pathetic excuse for a coaching staff. BC also has a tough D. Nothing would be surprising at this point - except for success.

Reaction Score
Just read Altavilla's AAC notebook on Courant.com. Like Biz, I'm not reactionary to the point of demanding Diaco's resignation immediately, but my goodness, how many times can we hear the same old drivel:

"We will let the players know how much we care," Diaco said. "We will try to do the best job we can with our presentations each day to reach and communicate and correct and work to reinforce. We will continue to stay positive and communicate with respect and discipline and consistency in staying the course as it relates to doing our business the right way.

I would imagine Benedict is getting tired of all of this nonsense from Diaco on the public front. College football is a results driven business. Diaco keeps spewing all of this love and caring and togetherness talk, yet the result on the field is abominable!

Then there's this nugget:

"I know why we are in the circumstance we are in. I see the problems and the reasons and understand the answers. But it's not realistic [to cure it all] in the next two weeks. But we are working towards it and we took a big step in that direction at the beginning of last week and its going to pay major dividends."

I am literally speechless after this comment!

In fairness, the last sentence makes logical sense (or at least may). I think he's telling us that we have a much higher ceiling with Williams than Shirreffs and even if we don't see it this season it's going to be there eventually. Hopefully, he's correct on both the count that Williams will ultimately be better and that playing these last three games will help speed up the process. But none of that changes the fact that he wasn't ready to hit the field on Friday night.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
It's not about winning. It's about improving and building a culture. Loving and caring about each other. Making sure the players have good grooming habits and table manners. Building a foundation the right way, so it lasts. Not just repainting the walls, but picking the right trim and accents colors. Something that matches the rug. So we can represent this great university the right way. It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the cat and the dog keeping the litter box clean with the right kind of cats and dogs and sometimes fish. And we would like to thank Temple as our partner for their role in making us better.
DAMN ..... HCBD couldn't have said it better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Can someone help me understand the value of finding out if he is the future faster?

They are going to keep recruiting quarterbacks aren't they no matter what?

The actual value is to satisfy the bloodlust of cranking through to the next guy?

Is the premise that players can't be evaluated in practice?

Reaction Score
Can someone help me understand the value of finding out if he is the future faster?

They are going to keep recruiting quarterbacks aren't they no matter what?

The actual value is to satisfy the bloodlust of cranking through to the next guy?

Is the premise that players can't be evaluated in practice?

If Palatine can't see it, it don't exist.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score

Actually that could be likely. Williams was clearly overmatched against Temple's D and with our pathetic excuse for a coaching staff. BC also has a tough D. Nothing would be surprising at this point - except for success.

I don't know if it's funny, sad or a little of both but I had this exact same thought earlier. Our coaching staff is going to burn Williams' RS on a short week right before a bye, saw that he was nowhere near ready to play, and now cement him to the bench for the rest of the season now that we have been officially eliminated from bowl contention.

Reaction Score
As stated in many other threads, my apathy (as most of you as well) is really sad and disappointing. I have had tickets for 15 years, and really am considering not renewing for the first time. I would put the games on the calendar and nothing would prevent me from going. The PP debacle, and now a coach who really seems to have no clue have made me jaded. I just want hope and a reason to get excited.

Reaction Score
With all due respect to those who don't know anything about football and those that think they know everything, think about this re: Williams. When was the last time a QB started 3-4 years here? Irrational to get so upset about burning a redshirt on an obviously talented kid.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
With all due respect to those who don't know anything about football and those that think they know everything, think about this re: Williams. When was the last time a QB started 3-4 years here? Irrational to get so upset about burning a redshirt on an obviously talented kid.

The board does seem to have an unusual concentration of geniuses... or blowhards....actually, probably much more likely the latter.

Reaction Score
Some folk on this blog write so recklessly about taking ones livelihood. Fire BD! Just nonsense. Get off of your worn down couches buy a ticket and support the home team with nothing but positive energy. No wonder Connecticut has so many insurance companies the state is full of depressed cry babies.

Reaction Score

With all due respect it's more about playing a kid that clearly wasn't ready more than anything else. Losing the additional year of eligibility was just the icing on the cake.

Reaction Score
The board does seem to have an unusual concentration of geniuses... or blowhards....actually, probably much more likely the latter.

Don't forget know nothings who build spectacular straw men. YUGE concentration of those around here.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Don't forget know nothings who build spectacular straw men. YUGE concentration of those around here.
Yep, but its the blowhards that are "special" because they just can't get over a difference of opinion. Drives them crazy...then they get the uncontrollable need to toss insults all around the boneyard.

Last edited:

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score

Williams has talent. His best talent as of right now (until he learns the offense better) is his speed. But there we are dropping him back behind a porous OL and making him sit in the pocket and throw the ball. I have no idea who to blame for it either since it's on the heels of an OC change too. But if we're going to burn his RS, we might as well try to use his best asset: his legs. That 40 yard scamper in 1H was a sight to see. The only problem is that we only saw it once when we might have seen it a few more times if we had just moved the pocket and played more read-option to give Williams a little extra time and field to find some holes.

Reaction Score
Looks like we made two bad coaching hires in a row. That will take some time to overcome.

My sense of Diaco is that he is young and reactionary. I think he was feeling some real pressure and decided he would really shake things up so he switched out his OC and QB at the same time. Maybe not such a good idea. A little grey hair and you probably know not to over-react to such pressure and dig a hole that's deeper than you might already be in.

This is not a bad guy and at the end of the day he may simply not have been ready. The Verducci hire never made any sense to me and having watched this offense it may be the one key element that doomed Diaco.

What BC's defense will do to us may not be legally permissible in the State of Massachusetts.

Reaction Score
It's getting harder and harder to write these. Heck -- it's getting harder and harder just to watch the damn games. Luckily, the game Friday night was for all practical purposes over by 7:30. Last week, I was in Florida and figured I would watch the tape when I got home on Sunday. Never bothered. After one year of free pass and one year of hopeful baby steps, now we're back to this not even being fun again. Where did this come from. Yes, I know I'm more patient and less reactionary than many here, but coming off the Cincy win I was frustrated that we were only 3-3 but more than a little hopeful at the improvement in our offense, and certainly thought that, even if the record didn't show it this year, we were making forward movements. And then this utter, total and depressing collapse the last two weeks.

I have been patient with our coach and his staff because I want to be fair and they walked into a s***storm that became a s*** hurricane with the injuries to Cochrane and others their first year. But whomever felt that putting Donovan Williams in the lineup with a new formation and a very, very limited playbook, one week before we both got a bye week and while we were still playing to get to .500 in a minor bowl, just knows nothing about football. Nothing. This is not a knock on Williams. Is there a chance he'll be a good QB for us down the road? Sure. Is there chance he was going to be the guy next opening day? Time will tell but that's possible. But was he our chance to win Friday night? LMFAO. Again, if you wanted him to play this year, the time was to let BS try to rally the team and get to .500, and then, with a bye week and that possibility eliminated, start Williams in Chestnut Hill.

That having been said, quite obviously Donovan Williams was not the only football player who wasn't ready to win a football game Friday night. No one on any unit did a damn thing until the game had already been decided. My question is, was that because Temple was so much better than us, or did HCBD totally misread the mood of the team and did the team think HCBD had quit on them and given away the season by making the QB change now? I have no dea if the players thought that or not, but I would have thought that if I were on the team, and it sure looked like they came out totally unprepared to play football.

So where are we now? It's too early to tell if HCBD is recruiting and developing personnel at an acceptable level, but I have not seen the proof that he is. I already knew that he and his staff were rotten at in game coaching. And now this. Will he get a 4th year? I imagine he will, but I'm no longer sure of it. Does he deserve a 4th year? Gun to my head I say probably yes, but again, I'm no longer sure of it. But I am sure of this -- I HAVE BECOME CONVINCED PERSONALLY THAT HE IS NOT GOING TO SUCCEED ON THIS LEVEL AND THE ONLY QUESTION IS NOW HOW LONG IS HE HERE, AND NOT WHETHER HE WILL SUCCEED. And that is going to make continuing emotional expenditures for this program very, very difficult.

Sorry to be such a Debby Downer, but I just find optimism at the moment to be wholly irrational.

I hear you and agree that it is becoming increasingly difficult to watch these miserable games. Sitting in the stands at Dowdy- Flicklin stadium was one of my most embarrassing fan experiences ever. I never thought I would see the team quit the way they did in Greenville. Hard to believe we were only down 7-3 with 1.5 minutes left in the first half and ended up losing 41-3 and it could have been a much worse blowout! The team simply knew they couldn't come from behind! Their spirit died! I don't believe that spirit was coming back after ECU without acknowledging that something was terribly wrong and needed to be changed in order to advance. Replacing Verducci with Corley was making a statement that things were definitely going to change. It spoke to everyone, players, coaches and fans. Replacing Bryant Sherriffs with Donovan Williams was along the same lines. I like Sherriff's toughness and grit but don't believe we will ever come close to an AAC championship with him at QB. From what I have heard the chances are a lot better with DW. I have heard from objective insiders that next years overall team is supposed to be better. I am weighing the risk of burning DW's redshirt with the head start and confidence that he will hopefully gain by starting the last three games and preparing during the off season to be the starter. It's easy for us to look back at Tim Boyle and draw a comparison but let's not forget that PJ Walker started as a true freshman and look where Temple is today. Diaco put his coaching future on the line with this decision. If DW has a good game against BC things will calm down. If he bombs the criticism will mount. Only time will tell.

Last edited:

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Lyndon Johnson (the former President, not former UConn assistant) once famously said (in regards to public opinion on the Vietnam War) “If I’ve lost Walter Cronkite, I’ve lost middle America!” after Cronkite, on a national newscast questioned US participation in southeast Asia.

I believe there are few on this forum more calm, rational and realistic than me. BL is absolutely one of them and the truth is, if Diaco has lost Business Lawyer, he has lost too much of the fan base (for the record I admitted he lost me a few days ago). Where he lost me was more than merely burning a redshirt (which in a few years may become detrimental to the program or may be merely an afterthought) as a kneejerk reaction when everything he did up to this point was decidedly against worrying about the immediate in favor of what was supposedly being built. It was more than the constant attempt to blow sunshine up the fanbases’ collective backside after a frustrating, disheartening or mind-boggling loss. It was more than his attempt to claim success and improvement in a defense that at some point in all losses this year has seen three consecutive drives by the opposition where we were clueless to stop them (and defense is supposedly what he knows best). It was in that all evidence to date, despite my best efforts to try to interpret something different, has pointed to one conclusion; he is not capable of seeing enough of the picture to grasp what is in fact necessary to build something here.

I’ve seen coaches who were stubborn to a fault in their opinions. I can accept someone following a philosophy I may disagree with while attempting a job that I know I cannot perform. I also realize that when building something (JC built the basketball program this way), following a philosophy and structure even when the talent to execute it is not there yet is often the better path. The reason Diaco has lost me is that I really don’t know what it is that he is trying to build and worse, I’m not sure he does any longer either. He is either lying to the fan base about the defense or he is lying to himself (and professing that lie to the general public). He made it clear the week leading up to the Temple game that he no longer has the conviction necessary to build the offense he wanted and is now grasping at straws to find something that may work.

His strange, often silly comments could have been passed off as quirky and eccentric once some sustainable success was achieved but it has reached the point where one has to question what he sees and how he thinks. I am curious as to what color the sky is in the world he lives in.

Can he win me back? I don’t know. Shy of someone on the Boneyard hitting powerball while the jackpot is huge I don’t see how he can be bought out for another fourteen months. If he somehow makes a run for the conference championship next season (which this past August appeared to be a reasonable goal) and shows some awareness of the team’s shortcomings I could be back on his bandwagon. Bills Parcells lost me about five games into his first year with the Giants but won me back a little more than a year later. Randy Edsall lost me early in his second season here but won me back a couple years later. Tom Coughlin lost me when the team barely showed up for a playoff game against the Eagles but won me back not quite a year later when the Giants took an unbeaten Patriots team to the edge on the last regular season game (the same day as the Meineke Bowl).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom