The View From Section 241 -- Temple | The Boneyard

The View From Section 241 -- Temple

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It's getting harder and harder to write these. Heck -- it's getting harder and harder just to watch the damn games. Luckily, the game Friday night was for all practical purposes over by 7:30. Last week, I was in Florida and figured I would watch the tape when I got home on Sunday. Never bothered. After one year of free pass and one year of hopeful baby steps, now we're back to this not even being fun again. Where did this come from. Yes, I know I'm more patient and less reactionary than many here, but coming off the Cincy win I was frustrated that we were only 3-3 but more than a little hopeful at the improvement in our offense, and certainly thought that, even if the record didn't show it this year, we were making forward movements. And then this utter, total and depressing collapse the last two weeks.

I have been patient with our coach and his staff because I want to be fair and they walked into a s***storm that became a s*** hurricane with the injuries to Cochrane and others their first year. But whomever felt that putting Donovan Williams in the lineup with a new formation and a very, very limited playbook, one week before we both got a bye week and while we were still playing to get to .500 in a minor bowl, just knows nothing about football. Nothing. This is not a knock on Williams. Is there a chance he'll be a good QB for us down the road? Sure. Is there chance he was going to be the guy next opening day? Time will tell but that's possible. But was he our chance to win Friday night? LMFAO. Again, if you wanted him to play this year, the time was to let BS try to rally the team and get to .500, and then, with a bye week and that possibility eliminated, start Williams in Chestnut Hill.

That having been said, quite obviously Donovan Williams was not the only football player who wasn't ready to win a football game Friday night. No one on any unit did a damn thing until the game had already been decided. My question is, was that because Temple was so much better than us, or did HCBD totally misread the mood of the team and did the team think HCBD had quit on them and given away the season by making the QB change now? I have no dea if the players thought that or not, but I would have thought that if I were on the team, and it sure looked like they came out totally unprepared to play football.

So where are we now? It's too early to tell if HCBD is recruiting and developing personnel at an acceptable level, but I have not seen the proof that he is. I already knew that he and his staff were rotten at in game coaching. And now this. Will he get a 4th year? I imagine he will, but I'm no longer sure of it. Does he deserve a 4th year? Gun to my head I say probably yes, but again, I'm no longer sure of it. But I am sure of this -- I HAVE BECOME CONVINCED PERSONALLY THAT HE IS NOT GOING TO SUCCEED ON THIS LEVEL AND THE ONLY QUESTION IS NOW HOW LONG IS HE HERE, AND NOT WHETHER HE WILL SUCCEED. And that is going to make continuing emotional expenditures for this program very, very difficult.

Sorry to be such a Debby Downer, but I just find optimism at the moment to be wholly irrational.

Reaction Score
Bravo! You had me here though:

But whomever felt that putting Donovan Williams in the lineup with a new formation and a very, very limited playbook, one week before we both got a bye week and while we were still playing to get to .500 in a minor bowl, just knows nothing about football. Nothing.

It made you feel like they think us as UConn Football fans don't know anything about football... ("You play to win the game...")

Reaction Score
I think he will be back. The fact that he couldn't figure out clock issues, week,,after week, after week, after week told me this guy wouldn't cut it ever. I for hopeful when we went through like a 3 game stretch where we weren't burning timeouts to get plays in but that was short lived.

His grand plan at this point appears getting the kid live action now and hope the experience leads to big year next year. I'm less than optimistic.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Have you read all of the posts defending the decision to play Williams? Clearly there are a lot of UConn fans who don't know anything about football.
And many who think they know everything about football. I have read many of those types too.

Reaction Score
It's not about winning. It's about improving and building a culture. Loving and caring about each other. Making sure the players have good grooming habits and table manners. Building a foundation the right way, so it lasts. Not just repainting the walls, but picking the right trim and accents colors. Something that matches the rug. So we can represent this great university the right way. It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the cat and the dog keeping the litter box clean with the right kind of cats and dogs and sometimes fish. And we would like to thank Temple as our partner for their role in making us better.

Reaction Score
I agree that he is not going to make it. I'm of the opinion that given that we are best off just parting ways. If not now we will be doing it by next October and we will lose a season. He has lost his team for the second time in 3 seasons. In no universe is that acceptable.

Reaction Score
I just hope BD can motivate the team to give a 100% effort mentally and physically against BC. An uninspired blowout loss to the Eagles will cause a major surge in the already critical fan base erosion we are experiencing and it will carry over into next year. Beat the Eagles and Tulane the following week and just maybe there's a ray of hope. Personally I don't see how this team beats BC, but maybe we can at least avoid the blowout.

Reaction Score
I agree that he is not going to make it. I'm of the opinion that given that we are best off just parting ways. If not now we will be doing it by next October and we will lose a season. He has lost his team for the second time in 3 seasons. In no universe is that acceptable.
I agree 100% with your assessment....... but then again, nothing in 3 years, heck, last 6 years has made any sense other than sheet canning PPGDL .
Hope that the powers that be can negotiate any early out that benefits all concerned, read that.... an acceptable number that won't break the bank given the ridiculous contract
extension buyout. We now have a mid level FCS program that could not beat any IVY league school consistently, other than Columbia.
Joe Moorehead.... please get back here fast before a p5 school scoops you up

HuskyV

Connecticut UConn Husky
Reaction Score
Cbanging OC and QB at the same time was ridiculous. How do you know if a change in play calling would make a difference for BS and the O. Still a chance we at .500, team and BS deserved 1 more week.

And sometime after the 1Q or halftime, the should have gone back to BS. Williams got some action and did not excel. Williams would have some ga.e experience certificate and would have 2 weeks to prepare for his next test. It was clear he was not ready. Not that it is easy being QB behind our line.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
It's getting harder and harder to write these. Heck -- it's getting harder and harder just to watch the damn games. Luckily, the game Friday night was for all practical purposes over by 7:30. Last week, I was in Florida and figured I would watch the tape when I got home on Sunday. Never bothered. After one year of free pass and one year of hopeful baby steps, now we're back to this not even being fun again. Where did this come from. Yes, I know I'm more patient and less reactionary than many here, but coming off the Cincy win I was frustrated that we were only 3-3 but more than a little hopeful at the improvement in our offense, and certainly thought that, even if the record didn't show it this year, we were making forward movements. And then this utter, total and depressing collapse the last two weeks.

I have been patient with our coach and his staff because I want to be fair and they walked into a s***storm that became a s*** hurricane with the injuries to Cochrane and others their first year. But whomever felt that putting Donovan Williams in the lineup with a new formation and a very, very limited playbook, one week before we both got a bye week and while we were still playing to get to .500 in a minor bowl, just knows nothing about football. Nothing. This is not a knock on Williams. Is there a chance he'll be a good QB for us down the road? Sure. Is there chance he was going to be the guy next opening day? Time will tell but that's possible. But was he our chance to win Friday night? LMFAO. Again, if you wanted him to play this year, the time was to let BS try to rally the team and get to .500, and then, with a bye week and that possibility eliminated, start Williams in Chestnut Hill.

That having been said, quite obviously Donovan Williams was not the only football player who wasn't ready to win a football game Friday night. No one on any unit did a damn thing until the game had already been decided. My question is, was that because Temple was so much better than us, or did HCBD totally misread the mood of the team and did the team think HCBD had quit on them and given away the season by making the QB change now? I have no dea if the players thought that or not, but I would have thought that if I were on the team, and it sure looked like they came out totally unprepared to play football.

So where are we now? It's too early to tell if HCBD is recruiting and developing personnel at an acceptable level, but I have not seen the proof that he is. I already knew that he and his staff were rotten at in game coaching. And now this. Will he get a 4th year? I imagine he will, but I'm no longer sure of it. Does he deserve a 4th year? Gun to my head I say probably yes, but again, I'm no longer sure of it. But I am sure of this -- I HAVE BECOME CONVINCED PERSONALLY THAT HE IS NOT GOING TO SUCCEED ON THIS LEVEL AND THE ONLY QUESTION IS NOW HOW LONG IS HE HERE, AND NOT WHETHER HE WILL SUCCEED. And that is going to make continuing emotional expenditures for this program very, very difficult.

Sorry to be such a Debby Downer, but I just find optimism at the moment to be wholly irrational.

Biz, like you I am not particularly reactionary about the program. I share your thoughts and only part ways with you regarding the end game of HCBD's tenure. My opinion is that he should be let go on Jan 2nd. If money is an issue then DB and SH should start digging now. I will gladly donate what I can afford (a drop in the bucket to be sure) to further that end. I believe another Diaco season will ultimately cost more than the buyout. My hope and belief is that the administration sees it the same way and is willing to put in the work and spend the resources to keep UConn athletics as a whole competing at a high level. Anything short of that I believe raises serious doubts about the future of the athletic department.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Other than sending a concussed quarterback out to play WR - starting Williams was the worst thing I've seen in this program since I started following closely in 1995.

1000% agree. Just when you think this staff couldn't get any dumber, they burn the RS on our "QB of the future"...on a short week...against a very good, well coached team...in front of a national ESPN2 audience...the week before a bye week...6 days after emphatically stating that they would not burn the RS on him. Unreal.

Dooley

Reaction Score
It's not about winning. It's about improving and building a culture. Loving and caring about each other. Making sure the players have good grooming habits and table manners. Building a foundation the right way, so it lasts. Not just repainting the walls, but picking the right trim and accents colors. Something that matches the rug. So we can represent this great university the right way. It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the cat and the dog keeping the litter box clean with the right kind of cats and dogs and sometimes fish. And we would like to thank Temple as our partner for their role in making us better.

I LOL at each sentence. Well done.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
1000% agree. Just when you think this staff couldn't get any dumber, they burn the RS on our "QB of the future"...on a short week...against a very good, well coached team...in front of a national ESPN2 audience...the week before a bye week...6 days after emphatically stating that they would not burn the RS on him. Unreal.

Diaco handled the entire situation poorly as usual. however it doesn't change the the future is now. We'll get 3 years out of the kid if he has a future or find out sooner if he doesn't. Sherriffs wasn't going win that game friday.

I find the rash decision to make Corley the OC and last play of the Navy game to be too bigger mistakes on the season. Add in the fact the Broyles winner has done nothing with a highly experience defense.

Reaction Score
Diaco handled the entire situation poorly as usual. however it doesn't change the the future is now. We'll get 3 years out of the kid if he has a future or find out sooner if he doesn't. Sherriffs wasn't going win that game friday.

I find the rash decision to make Corley the OC and last play of the Navy game to be too bigger mistakes on the season. Add in the fact the Broyles winner has done nothing with a highly experience defense.

#2 to running the ball with 18 seconds left against Navy was failure to use a nickel package against Syracuse. At any point in the game.

Dooley

Reaction Score

Agreed to a point - we can all agree that BS is not a D-1 level FBS quarterback. However, I think Biz is on to something when he suggested that the move affected the mood of the team. Two completely contradictory moves after the ECU game: changed the OC; put in an experienced QB who is clearly not ready yet (with a very limited play sheet, to boot). I'd rather have seen Anderson or even the 3rd string in than burn Williams' RS in that game. If they wanted to burn the RS and see what Williams has - which is in fact consistent with what the staff did in 2014 when it played the majority of the roster's FR - the time to do it was after the bye week. 2 weeks practicing with the "1s" is much better than 4/5 days to get ready for a good Temple team on a short week.

But I agree - BS isn't winning the game Friday. Unfortunately for us, no QB on our roster was going to win on Friday. Half of the roster looks like it has quit on the season and/or this coaching staff.

Reaction Score
Well, it looks like HCBD knows he has got one more year and he has turned to getting ready for his last stand next year. That means he has given up on this year and he has started training both the new OC and the new QB for next year.

But for the life of me I don't know how he survives January 2 if he loses both remaining games. Whether or not UConn gets blown out or not by BC, I don't see them actually beating BC. Thus the Tulane game may be meaningful. Is that what this is about? Getting ready for Tulane?

Reaction Score
This is the second time we have moved to back ups out of rotation.

We played Boyle and skipped over Casey when we yanked Whitmer. That turned out to be freaked up. Big mistake.

In terms of seniority had two guys in line ahead of Williams, Davis and the walk on Bisack. But we had moved Davis to TE and it looked like there was no thought of using Bisack. I thought both of these guys looked good in the spring game. Davis was 10 -17. Bisack was 8-12. Anyway, I'm for throwing guys in there until one does the job and screw what they look like in practice.

Reaction Score

We played Boyle and skipped over Casey when we yanked Whitmer. That turned out to be freaked up. Big mistake.

In terms of seniority had two guys in line ahead of Williams, Davis and the walk on Bisack. But we had moved Davis to TE and it looked like there was no thought of using Bisack. I thought both of these guys looked good in the spring game. Davis was 10 -17. Bisack was 8-12. Anyway, I'm for throwing guys in there until one does the job and screw what they look like in practice.

LOL Pal is already clamoring for the walk on 4th stringer and a kid we moved to TE.

Can't make up the Boneyard.

Reaction Score

Not caring how people look in practice is an utterly amazing theory. Even for you. Have you ever worked in an organization? Should I just let young associates service clients directly even when they can't convince me they are ready for the responsibility within my office because -- I don't even know how to finish that.

I'd like to think you were just trolling with that suggestion. But I doubt it.

Reaction Score
Just read Altavilla's AAC notebook on Courant.com. Like Biz, I'm not reactionary to the point of demanding Diaco's resignation immediately, but my goodness, how many times can we hear the same old drivel:

"We will let the players know how much we care," Diaco said. "We will try to do the best job we can with our presentations each day to reach and communicate and correct and work to reinforce. We will continue to stay positive and communicate with respect and discipline and consistency in staying the course as it relates to doing our business the right way.

I would imagine Benedict is getting tired of all of this nonsense from Diaco on the public front. College football is a results driven business. Diaco keeps spewing all of this love and caring and togetherness talk, yet the result on the field is abominable!

Then there's this nugget:

"I know why we are in the circumstance we are in. I see the problems and the reasons and understand the answers. But it's not realistic [to cure it all] in the next two weeks. But we are working towards it and we took a big step in that direction at the beginning of last week and its going to pay major dividends."

I am literally speechless after this comment!

Reaction Score
I think you can trace many of UConn's troubles to Diaco's plans for the offense. We hired OCs on the cheap and Diaco had little experience coaching an offense so, I think, he delegated running the offense to the OC and it has not worked. Our time out and end of game problems have been on offense and I really don't think Diaco was calling the plays and he had to use TOs as the OC was indecisive at times and didn't get the play in quick enough. In addition, I think our play calling and offensive schemes have made our OL look much worse than they are.

Don't get me wrong, these are Diaco's problems as he was the one who hired the offensive staff and he is ultimately in charge.

On defense, Diaco has proven to be an effective DC, so I don't think he is clueless. For multiple reasons, the defensive scheme has not worked this year. Again, this is on Diaco, but I think he can fix those problems.

End of the day, it may be too late for Diaco. The only way that I see him back next year is with big changes to the offense and he takes over the defense. Unfortunately, it's hard to hire good coaches when you are on the hot seat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom