The View From Section 241 -- Realignment Update | Page 5 | The Boneyard

The View From Section 241 -- Realignment Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
Houston and SMU need stadium expansions

The University of Houston placed a hefty bet on its future in college athletics on Thursday, unveiling a $160 million plan to upgrade its football and basketball facilities.

The football stadium, which would be built at the existing Robertson site, would seat 40,000 and be expandable to 50,000-plus. The basketball facility renovation would include the addition of practice facilities for the men's and women's teams and feature a seating capacity of 8,593

mediaManager

Houston announced in March 2011 they were 1/2 way to their $80 mil fundraising goal and expect to make formal construction announcements in Spring 2012.

Reaction Score
The University of Houston placed a hefty bet on its future in college athletics on Thursday, unveiling a $160 million plan to upgrade its football and basketball facilities.

The football stadium, which would be built at the existing Robertson site, would seat 40,000 and be expandable to 50,000-plus. The basketball facility renovation would include the addition of practice facilities for the men's and women's teams and feature a seating capacity of 8,593

mediaManager

Houston announced in March 2011 they were 1/2 way to their $80 mil fundraising goal and expect to make formal construction announcements in Spring 2012.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if Houston is the premiere football program in our league in 5 years.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
Then there's Nova's vision statement: 3,000 Rent-a-Seat Bleachers!

And the Memphis vision statement: We will build it if you will come.
AND -- we will start winning. Until then, we won't take this football thing too seriously.

Reaction Score
And the Memphis vision statement: We will build it if you will come.
AND -- we will start winning. Until then, we won't take this football thing too seriously.

Memphis has the Liberty Bowl which was good enough to host NFL games in the 90's. People knock it, but personally I love old stadiums. I'll take the Yale Bowl over The Rent any day and that is not a knock at the Rent, I just like stadiums with alot of history.

Reaction Score
Well then Mets you would have loved Legion Field in Birmingham where we played South Carolina. It was an absolute s**ithole.

Reaction Score
Well then Mets you would have loved Legion Field in Birmingham where we played South Carolina. It was an absolute s**ithole.

Why do people love Fenway? Is it their Skyboxes, modern bathrooms, the comfortable seats, the parking? Every Yankee fan I know misses the old Yankee Stadium.

Reaction Score
I love Fenway and the owners were smart to refurbish and expand it. A new stadium would never draw the many folks who come just to tour it each day. But that requires maintenance and attention. If they had let the rats roam free and the toilets leak, it wouldn't be worth the mystique.

Reaction Score
Correction... it IS an absolute s**thole.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Houston's doing it the right way. Beating up on the non-BCS teams and building new facilities and waving their hands and saying "BCS ready".

Memphis OTOH wants to put the winning and the facilities on hold while begging for a BCS bid. It's almost comical. Nova's proposed soccer stadium upgrade (3,000 portable bleachers makes us a BCS school!) and FCS Championship look like a quality add in comparison.

Yeah they say BCS READY and no one but the 'Big East' looks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom