The View From Section 241 -- Realignment Update | Page 4 | The Boneyard

The View From Section 241 -- Realignment Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Just my opinion but anyone who is criticizing the current expansion candidates should provide a solution that is clearly superior or they should shut the $uck up. Why are people excited about the current expansion candidates? That's easy to answer, because it is alot better than what we have now. Case closed.

And arguing that a proposed team is garbage because they are struggling to draw fans now is BS. Based on that criteria UCONN should have never been admitted to the Big East for football because we couldn't draw flies before we upgraded.

I'm excited about BSU and UCF. I'm happy about the possibility of Navy, and very happy with BYU, if we can get them.

I'm not excited about SMU or Houston (or ECU). The TX schools are a reminder we missed out on TCU. They aren't near the top of the wish list even in the state of TX, Baylor & TCU are.

I am mildly satisfied and optomistic. I am not excited (or delusional) enough to claim the new conference will be more popular and better compensated than the ACC. Nor am I crazy enough to pretend the conference still wouldn't fall apart with a few Big 12 or ACC invites extended. We don't all have to share the same enthusiasm or shut the $uck up.

Reaction Score
No one is arguing that this configuration is better than an ACC invite if the invite was offered before the next BE media contract.

We are mostly in agreement, but there is a person claiming that not only will the new conference get better ratings and a higher TV contract than the ACC, but that UConn would turn down an invite to the ACC.

That's crazy.

Reaction Score
because they don't have to
TCU? Louisville/WVU?

The ACC didn't "have to" add Cuse/Pitt.

If they were as valuable as some think, they would be added for profitability, not necessity.

Reaction Score
We don't all have to share the same enthusiasm or shut the $uck up.

Nobody is asking you to share the same enthusiasm, I just want to know why you feel the need to rain on someone else's parade. I don't see how being overly optimistic ever hurt anyone.

We are all waiting to hear your plan to successfully lure Baylor, TCU and BYU to the Big East.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I'm not excited about SMU or Houston (or ECU). The TX schools are a reminder we missed out on TCU. They aren't near the top of the wish list even in the state of TX, Baylor & TCU are.
This could be starry eyed optimism on my part but I need someone to explain how TCU has any higher an upside than either SMU or Houston.

In terms of performance, each can sustain something at worse reasonably close to what TCU and Baylor can and each can have similar fan support to those two. Neither will ever draw crowds the way UT or A&M draw but before you place TCU or Baylor on a pedestal take a look at their attendance numbers over the past few years (keep in mind some of the schools that visited Waco during that time).

Reaction Score
This could be starry eyed optimism on my part but I need someone to explain how TCU has any higher an upside than either SMU or Houston.

In terms of performance, each can sustain something at worse reasonably close to what TCU and Baylor can and each can have similar fan support to those two. Neither will ever draw crowds the way UT or A&M draw but before you place TCU or Baylor on a pedestal take a look at their attendance numbers over the past few years (keep in mind some of the schools that visited Waco during that time).

I don't expect people to remember, but I've been consistent that my opinion on expansion candidates should be guided by one thing; retaining our BCS bid.

TCU won the Rose Bowl last year, and has the top 25 finishes that help us in the computers. For that reason they are way above the other two on our wish list.

All three of the schools may have the same/similar upside, but only one has a recent proven track record of being able to compete at a BCS level. We can believe that recruiting will get better for Houston/SMU. But TCU didn't need the BCS recruiting bump to be able to compete with and beat BCS programs.

I don't believe the Big East will be around in 5-7 years, so I am just not that concerned with long term potential.

Reaction Score
Nobody is asking you to share the same enthusiasm, I just want to know why you feel the need to rain on someone else's parade. I don't see how being overly optimistic ever hurt anyone.

We are all waiting to hear your plan to successfully lure Baylor, TCU and BYU to the Big East.

The rest of my post said who I was excited about. Glad that you ignored it and created a strawman to argue with.

The person who's parade I rained on said the new conference will be so valuable UConn would turn down an invite to the ACC. You can't honestly expect people not to criticize that can you?

Immediately after Pitt/Cuse left, I said the Big East should be going after the Big 12 teams that were vulnerable. It's too late now, and you know that, but the Big East never even tried. Don't blame that on me. Some of the Big 12 schools reportedly wanted in the Big East, we ignored them. If we brought on Baylor/Iowa St and the Kansas' then TCU doesn't leave, and we aren't stuck begging Navy, praying for BSU, or "excited" about Houston and SMU.

And we don't have to keep hearing about the awesome potential of Memphis and UMass.

But none of that happened, and if some of us want to approach this with mixed enthusiasm, anger, disappointment, etc. We should be able to do that without being told to "shut the $uck up".

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
This has gotten so old. None of these schools is particularly attractive. SMU has the best alumni base and history, and with some good seasons could easily make a huge jump. Biggest upside. Boise has nowhere to go but down. Houston is saddled with awful academics. CFU is fairly appealing, but it will takes years for them to gain mind share in FLA.

For example, a friend in CT is a huge Nebraska fan. Why? He liked them and there was no local alternative. He roots for UConn in hoops. He has not switched football allegiance to UConn.

Reaction Score
The rest of my post said who I was excited about. Glad that you ignored it and created a strawman to argue with.

The person who's parade I rained on said the new conference will be so valuable UConn would turn down an invite to the ACC. You can't honestly expect people not to criticize that can you?

Immediately after Pitt/Cuse left, I said the Big East should be going after the Big 12 teams that were vulnerable. It's too late now, and you know that, but the Big East never even tried. Don't blame that on me. Some of the Big 12 schools reportedly wanted in the Big East, we ignored them. If we brought on Baylor/Iowa St and the Kansas' then TCU doesn't leave, and we aren't stuck begging Navy, praying for BSU, or "excited" about Houston and SMU.

And we don't have to keep hearing about the awesome potential of Memphis and UMass.

But none of that happened, and if some of us want to approach this with mixed enthusiasm, anger, disappointment, etc. We should be able to do that without being told to "shut the $uck up".

Yeah, I didn't think you had a plan to land BYU, TCU and Baylor. So you know what you can do....

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
It is not out of the realm of possibility that both Houston and SMU end this season ranked. I doubt the same can be said about Navy (nor do I believe that any service academy will ever be able to help us maintain a BCS bid). Using Navy kind of destroys your mandate on immediatel help with BCS status. I don't know off the top of my head where BYU sits in the rankings but I'm not sure that they would be much more of a help than the two above mentioned Texas schools even if we could lure BYU to the BE.

Yes, TCU did finish undefeated & #2 last year and not much lower than that with one loss the year before. Unfortunately that ship has sailed but while that ship is sailing, the two former SWC schools from major demographic markets in the state of Texas each appear to be close to being where TCU was a few years ago. I don't believe that it is a seven to ten year quest for SMU and Houston to equal (consistent on field performance) Baylor and TCU, it appears that if they aren't there already, they will be within a season or two.

Reaction Score
SMU has three claimed national titles. More than Penn State. I am sure you all know better than Paul Tagliabue. Have you seen SMU's locker room?

Reaction Score
Boise has nowhere to go but down.

That is your argument against Boise? I guess we wouldn't want to add LSU to the conference either, they are currently ranked # 1. Nowhere to go but down.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Barring an embarrassing bowl loss Houston is going to end the season highly ranked. They probably have a 60% chance of going 12-0. Their schedule is absolutely pathetic.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I think it's a pretty big leap in on field performance from where Houston and SMU are right now to where TCU has been for the past few years.

They are probably the two best candidates we have, but I would be highly doubtful that either could ever go to a Rose Bowl and beat a team like Wisconsin.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
I'm beginning to wonder if they stopped teaching reading comprehension in schools over the past couple of decades.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I didn't think you had a plan to land BYU, TCU and Baylor. So you know what you can do....
If you aren't interested in a real conversation where you respond to what I actually post, and choose instead to find new ways to pick a fight, then why bother responding?

I didn't think you had the ability to show where I was wrong and why, it would have been fun to see you at least try.

Reaction Score
It is not out of the realm of possibility that both Houston and SMU end this season ranked. I doubt the same can be said about Navy (nor do I believe that any service academy will ever be able to help us maintain a BCS bid). Using Navy kind of destroys your mandate on immediatel help with BCS status. I don't know off the top of my head where BYU sits in the rankings but I'm not sure that they would be much more of a help than the two above mentioned Texas schools even if we could lure BYU to the BE.

Yes, TCU did finish undefeated & #2 last year and not much lower than that with one loss the year before. Unfortunately that ship has sailed but while that ship is sailing, the two former SWC schools from major demographic markets in the state of Texas each appear to be close to being where TCU was a few years ago. I don't believe that it is a seven to ten year quest for SMU and Houston to equal (consistent on field performance) Baylor and TCU, it appears that if they aren't there already, they will be within a season or two.
WVU will very likely finish ranked for the next couple years, BSU is our number one priority, and will too. UCF is a strong possibility and they finished ranked last year. With those three schools, and hopefully one or two others already in the conference finishing ranked over the next 2+ seasons then we don't have to worry about whether or not Navy did. Also, I've stated (and you may agree) that we don't get Boise without Air Force, and don't get Air Force without Navy. If we get all three, I think we have a shot at BYU. I believe they are more valuable than Houston/SMU. They have a better tradition and stronger more established program.

If Houston and SMU both finish ranked I'll be excited about adding them. Right now, I'm begrudgingly willing to accept them. I understand the reason for adding them, and I don't recall every saying that I opposed them. I said I'm not excited about them. Nothing anyone has posted about their potential or locker room, or market size changes that for me.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
That is your argument against Boise? I guess we wouldn't want to add LSU to the conference either, they are currently ranked # 1. Nowhere to go but down.

Don't be absurd. I merely believe that Boise's success won't be sustainable. Right now they appeal as a top 10 team. If they even slip to a team that is sometimes ranked and sometimes not, I think we regret adding them.

Reaction Score
Don't be absurd. I merely believe that Boise's success won't be sustainable. Right now they appeal as a top 10 team. If they even slip to a team that is sometimes ranked and sometimes not, I think we regret adding them.

I think, facing real competition, they are going to decline. But, they will add some credibility. Let's focus on stabilizing until we can get out. I doubt UConn will be in the BE long enough for some of our deeper concerns to play out.

HuskyBarker

A Tiger is always Hungry!
Reaction Score
If not, we not only have the worst commish, but the worst legal team ever.
I'm going with Worst commish Ever! The sooner Marinate gets fired or let go the better! In the Game of Chess, Marinate was playing Tic-Tac-Toe, and losing.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
Barring an embarrassing bowl loss Houston is going to end the season highly ranked. They probably have a 60% chance of going 12-0. Their schedule is absolutely pathetic.

Houston's doing it the right way. Beating up on the non-BCS teams and building new facilities and waving their hands and saying "BCS ready".

Memphis OTOH wants to put the winning and the facilities on hold while begging for a BCS bid. It's almost comical. Nova's proposed soccer stadium upgrade (3,000 portable bleachers makes us a BCS school!) and FCS Championship look like a quality add in comparison.

Reaction Score
Houston's doing it the right way. Beating up on the non-BCS teams and building new facilities and waving their hands and saying "BCS ready".

Memphis OTOH wants to put the winning and the facilities on hold while begging for a BCS bid. It's almost comical. Nova's proposed soccer stadium upgrade (3,000 portable bleachers makes us a BCS school!) and FCS Championship look like a quality add in comparison.
Agreed. Houston, and even more so UCF are making major improvements to facilities, and UCF is investing like crazy to build their athletic programs.

I've read several people post about all the Fed Ex money that will be behind Memphis if they land in a BCS league. Maybe is Fed Ex started investing now, Memphis would actually be an attractive option for a BCS league. Just sayin'.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Certainly, the current situation requires teams that immediately add to our AQ profile. Beyond that short term need, this league would be much better off with programs that are committed to BCS competition. That means facilities, fan base, and an attitude that screams we care about college football.

Who can fill a stadium, draw TV eyeballs in their market, or better yet, nationally? Who has a natural recruiting base? Whose fans will travel? Memphis does have a 62k stadium and sold 24k tickets last year and has about the same number of students. But they haven't made the commitment in terms of facilities. I think if they announced a credible plan to build a Shenkman Center of their own, they would help themselves.

To me, UCF and ECU are the most ready. Houston and SMU need stadium expansions but both get the FB culture, so they are more attractive than Memphis. Navy and Air Force bring a nation wide following. Boise brings the recent credibility but little else. Once they joined they would lose much of their national appeal as a cinderella story, especially as they drop off. They strike me as desperation invite and a poor fit.

I'd live with UCF, Hou, SMU, and add Navy/ in FB only, or ECU/Temple in all sports. That makes 11 for FB. Give Nova, Memphis, Umass, or whomever else a chance to position themselves as #12. Boise would be my fall back to replace Navy if they are not interested.

ACC>B1G>>>>>this.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
All we need is some kind of football setup that provides stability and maintains the AQ for the new BCS (or equivalent) in 2014. Once we have achieved that, all bets are off, conference affiliation wise for UConn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom