The View From Section 241 -- Preseason | The Boneyard

The View From Section 241 -- Preseason

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm in a more cautious mind frame than many here. Not about the tailgate -- it's Maine, after all, and a night game to boot. Lobster rolls and N.E. Chowder just seems almost mandatory for this one. But or the season. Maybe the ongoing conference realignment minute by minute fictional discussions weigh me down, but I don't know that I'm quite sure about the season itself. I don't see any chance that we're going backward to being horrific again, but unlike many of you I"m not sure if this season is a big step forward either, and I'm afraid that if we are only treading water with our play, it may be difficult even to get back to 6-6.

I like our skill players on offense. I know QBs take the heat for all that goes wrong with offenses, but I am still of the view that Shireffs had a very strong year last year pre-injury, and that playing behind the OL he did made his numbers remarkable. I think our TB tandem is fine, I expect big things out of our TEs and we have at least one stud at WR (and I expect more from the kids who had to play last year as true frosh). On D, we have two playmakers at the corners and a Safety with NFL athleticism and size who has shown improvement each year. And we have a competent front 7, where we seem to have at least adequate replacements for the starters we lost.

So what is my hesitation? I have four question marks on this year. In order of importance:

1. The OL. In '13 and '14, our OL play was just horrific beyond imagination. Last year, it was light years better. But the lights years better only brought us up to well below average competence. We need more play from it. Is the potential there for a much better OL? Yes, it is. With Pert at LT, Levy moved to RG, Crozier at C an Hopkins and Knappe back in position with more experience, this could be the year that our OL takes a huge step forward (and getting to the middle of the AAC would be a large step forward). But that's on paper. The proof of the pudding is always in the eating. And until I see us blowing Maine off the ball at the line of scrimmage, instead of just holding their own, I will remain skeptical.

2. The pass rush. We have not had any semblance of a pass rush since Sio and, more importantly, Trevardo moved on. P seemed to think speed was not important. Great. Anyway, I think Foley does well enough rushing on the interior, but in our hybrid 3-4, 4-3, is Ormsby the answer? I'm hoping he has a good year and replaces Adeyami adequately, but he's 30 pounds heavier than any DE we've ever had consistently rush a QB. As for Luke (with Stapleton sharing the position to some extent), we've seen flashers, and in Luke's case asking him to play that position as a true frosh was probably unfair. But are they going to provide a Trevardo/Osunde/name escaping me but the DE who played with the Donald and got drafted by the Cards type pass rush? I'll believe it when I see it. Until I see it, I see this area continuing to hold us back.

3. We have one QB who I have any faith in whatsoever, and he's a big guy who likes to run and take hits coming of a concussion. Can we survive him going down? Nothing we saw in the 2 and 3/4 games after he took his hit last year gives me that confidence.

4. Can whacky Bob coach normally? Look, last year was a thankful step forward, and given that I think he inherited a hot mess I can simply forgive totally every strange decision that we made last year. But can we try to return punts this year? Can we not burn players redshirts that aren't ready to help us yet? Can we not lose faith in veteran players like Bobby Puyol because they make a bad play? Can the "whacky" in his title start applying to his words and not what we see on the field? He's a hard guy not to like, and I'd love to see him settle in to his roll and have this job for a while, but am I convinced that he's the coach?

So I will be there in full voice on Thursday night, and look forward to what I hope will be a good season. But I remain concerned as to how far out of the depths we've climbed.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
100% with you on O-Line and whacky Bob. Limiting himself to one gadget play per game would be a huge step forward.

We need more reliable offense outside the QB position. If we put Sherriffs production on past UConn teams nearly all would be better. Except those teams never relied on the QB for more than keeping the D honest.

I think both RB's will be better.

My biggest Q on D is can the LB's make positive plays. Stop the run at the line, cover the outside, and pressure the QB. The 3-4 relies in playmaking LB's. It's a lot to ask a 3 man front to do more than clog/push the middle, take on extra blockers and allow the LB a free run at the ball.

Something out of the return game would be nice.

Reaction Score
It's really about the OL. If they take a huge step forward (and that's a big if), and if Shireffs can stay healthy, I can live with an average pass rush and a slew of fair catches.

I just don't want to see any coaching debacles like I saw in Mizzou last year.

Reaction Score
I agree with the 4 points listed, however if I put them in my order of concern, I would go

1: OL - If we take that step forward we will be in much better shape than last year. I solid OL will allow us to run the ball (anyone remember that?? running the ball??) If we can run then that will set up the passing game.
2: QB - See number #1 above. If we can't run, other teams will key on the pass game and if Shirreffs gets hurt I have little confidence in the back up plan.
3: Whacky Bob (I love it!!) - what else can you say? Whacky Bob. This is year three and it is time to settle down and start to make good decisions and win some games. It is not the year to try a fake FG with the game on the line. Good decisions lead to good results and good results lead to bowl games
4: D - This is the least of my concerns. WB (Whacky Bob) has a good defensive mind and he is a little anal attentive when it comes to his D. I don't think he has totally given up control of his defense and I have faith. We might be a little bend but not break and as long as we give up 3 and we score 7, I am good with that.

Reaction Score
I'm in a more cautious mind frame than many here. Not about the tailgate -- it's Maine, after all, and a night game to boot. Lobster rolls and N.E. Chowder just seems almost mandatory for this one. But or the season. Maybe the ongoing conference realignment minute by minute fictional discussions weigh me down, but I don't know that I'm quite sure about the season itself. I don't see any chance that we're going backward to being horrific again, but unlike many of you I"m not sure if this season is a big step forward either, and I'm afraid that if we are only treading water with our play, it may be difficult even to get back to 6-6.

I like our skill players on offense. I know QBs take the heat for all that goes wrong with offenses, but I am still of the view that Shireffs had a very strong year last year pre-injury, and that playing behind the OL he did made his numbers remarkable. I think our TB tandem is fine, I expect big things out of our TEs and we have at least one stud at WR (and I expect more from the kids who had to play last year as true frosh). On D, we have two playmakers at the corners and a Safety with NFL athleticism and size who has shown improvement each year. And we have a competent front 7, where we seem to have at least adequate replacements for the starters we lost.

So what is my hesitation? I have four question marks on this year. In order of importance:

1. The OL. In '13 and '14, our OL play was just horrific beyond imagination. Last year, it was light years better. But the lights years better only brought us up to well below average competence. We need more play from it. Is the potential there for a much better OL? Yes, it is. With Pert at LT, Levy moved to RG, Crozier at C an Hopkins and Knappe back in position with more experience, this could be the year that our OL takes a huge step forward (and getting to the middle of the AAC would be a large step forward). But that's on paper. The proof of the pudding is always in the eating. And until I see us blowing Maine off the ball at the line of scrimmage, instead of just holding their own, I will remain skeptical.

2. The pass rush. We have not had any semblance of a pass rush since Sio and, more importantly, Trevardo moved on. P seemed to think speed was not important. Great. Anyway, I think Foley does well enough rushing on the interior, but in our hybrid 3-4, 4-3, is Ormsby the answer? I'm hoping he has a good year and replaces Adeyami adequately, but he's 30 pounds heavier than any DE we've ever had consistently rush a QB. As for Luke (with Stapleton sharing the position to some extent), we've seen flashers, and in Luke's case asking him to play that position as a true frosh was probably unfair. But are they going to provide a Trevardo/Osunde/name escaping me but the DE who played with the Donald and got drafted by the Cards type pass rush? I'll believe it when I see it. Until I see it, I see this area continuing to hold us back.

3. We have one QB who I have any faith in whatsoever, and he's a big guy who likes to run and take hits coming of a concussion. Can we survive him going down? Nothing we saw in the 2 and 3/4 games after he took his hit last year gives me that confidence.

4. Can whacky Bob coach normally? Look, last year was a thankful step forward, and given that I think he inherited a hot mess I can simply forgive totally every strange decision that we made last year. But can we try to return punts this year? Can we not burn players redshirts that aren't ready to help us yet? Can we not lose faith in veteran players like Bobby Puyol because they make a bad play? Can the "whacky" in his title start applying to his words and not what we see on the field? He's a hard guy not to like, and I'd love to see him settle in to his roll and have this job for a while, but am I convinced that he's the coach?

So I will be there in full voice on Thursday night, and look forward to what I hope will be a good season. But I remain concerned as to how far out of the depths we've climbed.

Nice write up, and I am looking forward to your summary after each game. Always thoughtful and accurate.

Go Huskys - See you Thursday Section 126!

Reaction Score
Excellent as usual and I agree entirely. I guess I think the defense, especially the pass rush will be improved.

Your characterization of whacky Bob is right on the money.

And the offense continues to worry me on three fronts. The obvious one is the line. They need to show me. #2 is the safety of the qb. I agree that Sherriffs is a good player. Put up solid numbers but I don't know who is behind him. Well we know who but nothing about his skills. Finally I know it's sacreligious but I'm not sold on our running backs. Will Johnson be what we thought he'd be last year or what he was? Is Newsome ready to take the step into The next level of back and dominate a game? Is one of the frosh ready to take a spot. Can somebody besides the quarterback get the tough 1-2 yards on 3rd down to keep a drive alive? Part of that is on the line but part of it is on the backs.

cttxus

The CT-TX-US Connection: Historic, Alive and Well
Reaction Score
BL-Great analysis as usual. Thanks. How about coming back to your 4 points after the Maine game and giving us your thoughts? With the exception of #4, which will take a few games to determine, I predict we'll get a good, initial read on numbers 1-3. And on #3, I think we'll get a glimpse of how at least one of the back-up QBs handles themselves in game situations. It would be reassuring to see some competency there.

Reaction Score
I don't see any chance that we're going backward to being horrific again, but unlike many of you I"m not sure if this season is a big step forward either . . .

This is where I am as well. You identified the major question marks, but another is injuries. We are very thin at a number of positions where the drop-off will be precipitous if the starter goes down (QB, OL and the defensive backfield come to mind . . .)

If the OL is league-average and we can generate a little more pressure on the QB and avoid injuries in key spots, then the posters who are so confident about 8-9 wins may be right. If even one of those turns out not to be true, I think they are setting themselves up for disappointment. Physical domination against a bad FCS team will make me feel a bit more confident.

Baltic

Baltic
Reaction Score

Baltic

Baltic
Reaction Score
Must be Football Season, I did miss The View From Section 241.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score

Great points as always BL...but I do think you are being a bit too much of a pessimist here. What you didn't mention was the intangible of team culture. I know I am drinking the kool-aid, but it really feels like the team has a physical and mental toughness that wasn't there in year 1 of BD...and was somewhat there in year 2. That toughness will get them through injuries, turnovers and set backs. They also have more coaching continuity.

Because of these intangibles...I think they can take the next step to 8 wins or so. The Kool-aid tastes good.... ;)

Reaction Score
We go as the QB goes. And if the line improves then he'll have a better chance. College football isn't complicated.

Reaction Score
I think this analysis is fair. It's not an easy schedule. Getting back to 6-6 would be something, especially given the question marks on OL, DL, and backup QB. We'll know a lot more this time next week!

Reaction Score
Play calling deception is where "Wacky Bob" needs to step up. Hopefully we are well past the 1st year "it doesn't matter who actually calls the plays game day as its all figured out ahead of time what plays to use" to now giving QB the time by getting plays in quickly so he can make adjustments at the line as he sees fit. Too many times give the other team's defense little to worry about (allowing them to show their hand on what they are going to do and not pay for that by adjusting the play call) and they run down hill to ball and cover short routes like glue. Deception included some hurry up, plays contrary to expected given formation and lineups - not all the time but not never either.

Reaction Score
I think this analysis is fair. It's not an easy schedule. Getting back to 6-6 would be something, especially given the question marks on OL, DL, and backup QB. We'll know a lot more this time next week!
One of the reasons I hate playing 1aa teams though I get why we do it, is that I don't really think they tell you much if you go out and take care of business. If we lose, ok that tells us that we will probably stink and the Diaco regime is on its last legs but a 20 plus point win tells you nothing since the guys playing in the 4th quarter won't Limey see action again all year. On occasion you can pick up something, is the qb missing open guys? Do the running backs get caught from behind or fumble? But generally you come away with a win but little more in terms of where the team stands.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Play calling deception is where "Wacky Bob" needs to step up. Hopefully we are well past the 1st year "it doesn't matter who actually calls the plays game day as its all figured out ahead of time what plays to use" to now giving QB the time by getting plays in quickly so he can make adjustments at the line as he sees fit. Too many times give the other team's defense little to worry about (allowing them to show their hand on what they are going to do and not pay for that by adjusting the play call) and they run down hill to ball and cover short routes like glue. Deception included some hurry up, plays contrary to expected given formation and lineups - not all the time but not never either.

Dare I say Edsall is the only D1 coach at UConn who was neutral or plus during the game?

BD still hasn't proven to be an average or better game manager. If someone wants to make the case he didn't have players ready for that level, I'll listen.

Reaction Score
Dare I say Edsall is the only D1 coach at UConn who was neutral or plus during the game?

BD still hasn't proven to be an average or better game manager. If someone wants to make the case he didn't have players ready for that level, I'll listen.

Edsall got there eventually, but really struggled with the basics of game management during his first 4-5 years. I don't expect Diaco to be a master at it at this point. I do think that the craziness was dialed down quite a bit after the Missouri game last year. Still, there were glaring mistakes (the end of the first half vs. USF, and a number of issues getting plays in on third down in the red zone).

31GuardTrap

Bringing back the basics
Reaction Score
IMHO...As bad as an offense as this team has had.....even an average one would have this team at 7-8 wins in all but the '14 season. That is how GREAT the D has been.
Just imagine if we can get to 25-30 pts per game on offense. It's really not that far away here.

Reaction Score
Good write up BL, but I'm more optimistic. Why? More depth and experience on offense plus an additional year in the strength program. Look at the recent article about the strength program. Balis said it take 2 years to mold a body. Well, this is year 3, so the veterans should be up to strength and conditioning standards.

Look at the 2 deep before the Villanova game last year.

Offense: 4 True Fr, 1 RFr, 5 So, 4 RSo, 3 Jr., 3 RJr, 1 Sr., 0 RSr
Defense: 0 True Fr, 0 RFr, 3 So, 4 RSo, 2 Jr, 8 RJr., 0 Sr, 6 RSr

Now look at the 2 deep for the Maine game.

Offense: 0 True Fr, 2 RFr, 3 So, 2 RSo, 5 Jr., 5 RJr, 3 Sr., 2 RSr
Defense: 0 True Fr, 3 RFr, 0 So, 3 RSo, 4 Jr, 5 RJr, 1 Sr, 6 RSr

On offense against Villanova, 14/22 on the offense 2 deep were RSo or younger and only 1 was in their senior year. This year, it's 7/22 on offense are RSo or younger and 5 in their senior year. Plus, we have an experienced QB, which we didn't have last year.

On defense, we lost some valuable players, but the experience level is similar.

I understand BL's concerns. We are all anxious to see the OL push Maine around. If that happens, I'm confident UConn will go bowling this year. If the OL can't push Maine around, I think 6-6 will be a stretch.

Reaction Score

We've seen flashes of this. I can think of several times last year where we ran a play out of a formation successfully, showed the same look only to run something completely different.

I've been a bit slow at work so I've been looking at some 2015 game footage. I'll give one example -- First quarter vs. USF last year. 9:27 left, we have RonJon to the left of Sherriffs with Newsome offset in the slot on the right. We flare Newsome out to the right in the flat and gain 9 yards. 3:57 same quarter, we have the same look except Newsome is lined up next to the QB. We fake the flare/bubble screen, the entire defense takes two steps that way, and then we dump a middle screen to Johnson who gains 22 yards.

Doing this type of thing consistently is hard when you can't run more basic stuff out of the same formations. When a third of your run plays are blown up at the line it makes it hard to use that as a basis for misdirection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom