The View From Section 241 -- Preseason | Page 4 | The Boneyard

The View From Section 241 -- Preseason

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Whit is not one of your strengths.

Guess spelling isn't one of yours...

... Getting the sense you are going to be a short timer here so get it all out while you can. Your IP address is ticking.

Reaction Score
Off the top of my head there was a lot of talk about the size of our oline when we played michigan in 2010. I am guessing that group was larger from a weight perspective. Still, this is a decent-sized group and should be able to push d-lines around.
Just from memory, this OL is avg 6'6+, 310+. That's bigger than any we've had before this. Can't recall having all 5 guys at 300+.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
We did (for a number of games in 2009) star 325 lb Zach Hurd & 335 lb Erik Kurecza as our guards with 335 lb Mike Hicks at RT. I don't know (off the top of my head) if Mike Ryan (335 lbs) replaced Dan Ryan (320 lbs) at LT before Kurecza got hurt but I think we had more total weight among the starting five (although not by much) even with 290 lb Moe Petrie at center. I'm guessing that once Peart fills out we will have a new heaviest line.

C

Chief00

Overall, I agree with most of the original post although I am not sold on BS at QB. I don't like his progressions or passing ability. I think he is a below average QB.
I think the OL will be improved - better at pass protecting - but I too question if they have the mentality or ability to attack and knock guys off the line on the run.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
Overall, I agree with most of the original post although I am not sold on BS at QB. I don't like his progressions or passing ability. I think he is a below average QB.
I think the OL will be improved - better at pass protecting - but I too question if they have the mentality or ability to attack and knock guys off the line on the run.

Re: BS, below average compared to who within the Huskies program? Compared to Top 25 programs, yeah, I'd give you that. FBS programs? Maybe, given UConn would be considered in the bottom half of that group as a whole (ranked in the 70's pre-season by USA Today). But in comparison to what we've had since Dan O, BS is up there after only one season. Completion %, TD / INT ratio, Total Yards (passing + running) from his first season with what almost everybody acknowledges was a pretty bad O Line, were pretty darn good historically speaking against other QBs we've had.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Yeah, I totally don't get the people that want to knock BrS on last years performance. Playing with little to no chance to plant his feet and work past a first read, he was probably worth 4 wins last year over a replacement. I look forward to seeing him play with improved protection, an improved running game, and more credible play action. I expect considerable improvement numbers-wise but it won't, IMHO, because he got that much better. It'll be about us being better around him.

Reaction Score
Ron and Arkeel look incredibly fit. I think the answer to where we can go offensively relies partially on the OL and QB and more substantially on RJ and Arkeel wreaking the absolute havoc we had hoped hey would. I hear both are a half step faster and off season training was about nothing else but finding that half step. If it worked, look out.

Reaction Score
You may see it as an overreaction; but it's my opinion so sorry if you're offended. It's a public forum (" would someone explain how we're getting all these new posters...to OUR BOARD. So this is a private club? You might want to re-think that chief.) If you can't stand the heat don't share your opinion.

We are all a bunch of arrogant jerks. If you can't take a counterpunch from your original douchey post maybe it's you that should see yourself out.

Reaction Score
Ron and Arkeel look incredibly fit. I think the answer to where we can go offensively relies partially on the OL and QB and more substantially on RJ and Arkeel wreaking the absolute havoc we had hoped hey would. I hear both are a half step faster and off season training was about nothing else but finding that half step. If it worked, look out.
Much quicker first step than the year before based on what we saw in the spring. Arkeel gets outside much more quickly than he used to. Ron seems to be through the hole and into the secondary much faster before the hole closes. This may be related to confidence more than anything else, or it may be S&C. But it is noticeable.

C

Chief00

Just remember NC State was converting him to TE. Sound like something we recently experienced?

Reaction Score
Just remember NC State was converting him to TE. Sound like something we recently experienced?

You really are a d*ck.

We have seen the kid play, courageously, through 10 games last year. He was damn good. As you can read above, we acknowledge that he is average when you look at 130 Programs. In the continuum of UConn FB, he really is above most all the guys since Orlovsky left. And, with a improved OLine, he will have the time to read progressions and his RB will be more effective. As much as he MIGHT have been losing his opportunity at NC State (no powerhouse there), he was a good fit here.

Reaction Score

Yes, a coaching staff that is 6-18 in ACC conference play made that move, so I'm not sure that it really says much -- though I am not surprised that you chose a model of incompetence as your point of reference . . .

Reaction Score

You could just as easily say that he actually was good enough to get snaps at QB at NC State as a true frosh, before they decided that his athleticism needed to be on the field even though they thought they had QBs who were better pure throwers.

That is, if you didn't feel better trashing players.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Chief is angry at the prospect of a good football program because in his mind it takes away attention from the basketball program.

Hence why he wanted Boyle taking all of the snaps last year (which would've resulted in an 0-12 season), and clamored for the bowl invitation to be turned down. He cares not one iota about the success of this team.

C

Chief00

You could just as easily say that he actually was good enough to get snaps at QB at NC State as a true frosh, before they decided that his athleticism needed to be on the field even though they thought they had QBs who were better pure throwers.

That is, if you didn't feel better trashing players.

That's fine - did not think I was trashing him- end result is the same.

C

Chief00

Chief is angry at the prospect of a good football program because in his mind it takes away attention from the basketball program.

Hence why he wanted Boyle taking all of the snaps last year (which would've resulted in an 0-12 season), and clamored for the bowl invitation to be turned down. He cares not one iota about the success of this team.
I have 8 season tickets this year / how many did you buy? I have been a season ticket holder since Rentschler was built and attended games at Memorial before that - so don't lecture me on loyalty.

Also, losing to Marshall doesn't exactly elevate your program.

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Chief00

You might have come off as less of a if you knew he was actually being converted to a Fullback ....

Liked that matters - point is he did not fit their QB profile.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
I have 8 season tickets this year / how many did you buy? I have been a season ticket holder since Rentschler was built and attended games at Memorial before that - so don't lecture me on loyalty.

I'm pretty sure the total season ticket count from people who think you have no idea what you're talking about far exceeds yours.

You know what else doesn't elevate a program? Turning down crucial extra practice time. Or being the only 6-6 team to reject a bowl in a year when nearly half a dozen 5-7 teams got invites. Or playing an inferior quarterback.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
I don't want to rehash the same debate that was had here many times over, but part of me is curious: how many season ticket holders agree with Chief and think #14 should've been the full-time starter this year?

Reaction Score
I don't want to rehash the same debate that was had here many times over, but part of me is curious: how many season ticket holders agree with Chief and think #14 should've been the full-time starter this year?
I do not have an opinion and will defer to those who see practices every day for now. But I have had opinions in the past on QB's that had far more up side than the starter yet were not given a sufficient number of series to settle in or were brought in only for a down here or there in certain situations. Other teams picked up on the latter quite quickly.

Reaction Score
Boyle was the third best QB on the roster last year.

Reaction Score

Really? You've been a season ticket holder for that long and STILL thought the games were at 11:11 AM last year? Holy smokes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom