The View From Section 241 -- Jim Mora | Page 5 | The Boneyard

The View From Section 241 -- Jim Mora

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
No attack but...LOL! You are an idiot with your mansplaining. I've been following the WBB team for 30 years. Using the injury excuse makes my point for me. The injured players are underclassmen recruited under the Big East banner. The upperclassmen recruited under the AAC banner are a big cut below as we are seeing now. The AAC was taking it's toll, Geno had tons of misses and had to go the international and transfer route. Some left early because they couldn't cut it once the normal recruiting started up again in the Big East. UConn shouldn't be losing to unranked teams ever, nevermind with a team full of 4 year players. But they do if those upperclassmen aren't all that good. Because even for Geno, it was becoming impossible to bring better players into that cruddy league.
In 2013, when UConn was fully a member of the AAC, Geno had a roster of #1 soph Breanna Stewart, #1 junior Kaleena Mosquera-Lewis, #2 soph Moriah Jefferson, soph Morgan Tuck, and junior Kiah Stokes. If you’re top ranked kid coming out of high school, just which of those stars do you think you’re going to bump out of the line up? Geno had trouble recruiting highly ranked kids to sit on the bench and who can blame them?

Geno had similar recruiting issues with the Cash-Bird-Jones-Williams class plus Taurasi. If it weren’t for Diana Taurasi, 2002-2006 would have been an unmentionable horrorshow. As it was, UConn lost 17 games between the fall of 2003 and spring of 2006 (3 seasons). Tina Charles was a freshman in the fall of 2006 then Maya Moore joined the following year. Championships followed them.

It’s cyclical. Geno gets these fabulous, star-studded lineups then 2-3 years of relative mediocrity (by UConn fans’ standards). It’s been happening since 1995 so I have no idea why you think it has anything to do with the Big East or AAC.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Saying it's was just cyclical is just more of you AAC diehards hanging on for dear life. The trough in the cycle reached new depths in the AAC. I actually attend WBB games. The last AAC team was brutal, that you guys ignore how desperate things has gotten tells me you agree. That's why you want to argue about old trivia. Everything got better the instant we left the AAC. Our only chance for a P5 shot is to have elite hoop and competent FB. We had neither in the AAC. We are so much closer to that now then we would be if we never left. And let's talk about the fanbase. The fans that actually go to games, not the keyboard commandos. The XL is a tough ticket again, you couldn't give 'em away in the AAC.

Reaction Score
Saying it's was just cyclical is just more of you AAC diehards hanging on for dear life. The trough in the cycle reached new depths in the AAC. I actually attend WBB games. The last AAC team was brutal, that you guys ignore how desperate things has gotten tells me you agree. That's why you want to argue about old trivia. Everything got better the instant we left the AAC. Our only chance for a P5 shot is to have elite hoop and competent FB. We had neither in the AAC. We are so much closer to that now then we would be if we never left. And let's talk about the fanbase. The fans that actually go to games, not the keyboard commandos. The XL is a tough ticket again, you couldn't give 'em away in the AAC.

HOW MUCH LONGER ...

Are you gonna hold your breath and argue this for weeks. I think NAN gave the definitive answer - our talent level in WBB is more tied to a cyclical flow of a handful at a time (til they graduate - because this is WBB) and not to conference affiliation.

Other variables are tangent. YES. AAC: Our fanbase and energy level was waning in this sport and others. Our National stature took a hit at times. Our preparation to be our best and ready for championship play was ... not ideal.

As for this P5 dream that some of you have? I think there will be more shakeups. But THE idea we get included in the top 20 - 30 in CFB is just delusional; I believe the 65 in P5 today are gonna get their slaggards clipped. With the money rising, the few and the greedy will gore this ox. UCONN, at our best, get a affiliation/tie that gives us regular - regional specific - attractive games. Maybe a bowl again someday. But WE are light years from the mythical playoff rounds.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
If you follow the women’s board, and I know you do, out knows I’ve been deeply involved with recruiting for years. I’ve scouted recruits, I’ve interviewed them and not a single one mentioned conference affiliation. They talk about the program (UConn),the coach, potential teammates but never the conference. Oh, they might say “I want to play on ESPN” but not as it relates to conference media contracts. After all, the recruits are 16 or 17 years old, just kids with a kid’s view of the world, which usually revolves around them.

Your descending into insults means you don’t have a reasonable rationale to rebut statements that challenge your views. Give it up.

Reaction Score
All this entropy produced about WBB? Both conferences are equally weak. UConn gets players because of their history and coaching staff. UConn football is the opposite although half of the equation has hopefully been rectified (the coaching half). Now what is needed is some wins. It is just that simple

Reaction Score
HOW MUCH LONGER ...

Are you gonna hold your breath and argue this for weeks. I think NAN gave the definitive answer - our talent level in WBB is more tied to a cyclical flow of a handful at a time (til they graduate - because this is WBB) and not to conference affiliation.
13 consecutive final fours should speak for itself for most. But obviously not all.

If you follow the women’s board, and I know you do, out knows I’ve been deeply involved with recruiting for years. I’ve scouted recruits, I’ve interviewed them and not a single one mentioned conference affiliation. They talk about the program (UConn),the coach, potential teammates but never the conference.
Nan, I suggest you take a NASCAR term and buckle up and pull the straps tight! Some folks simply do not realize sometimes the other team wins. You will most likely be getting more of this until we get a true point guard back. Yes several of our players can play multiple positions but not point to the ability of Paige or Nika.
Fans have to suck it up for now and support the team. They will be back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom