The View From Section 241 — NC State | Page 4 | The Boneyard

The View From Section 241 — NC State

Reaction Score
Maybe we need to relax a bit, even though the QB and WR's didn't live up the preseason billing.

Opening Quote from the Wolfpacker makes it sound as if they felt UConn was a good opponent:
"The NC State football team won its season opener for the sixth straight year, including the second time in a row on the road, by topping a tough UConn squad 24-14 in East Hartford, Conn."

Here's the whole (although brief) article:

Reaction Score
I’m thinking he was brought in for competence and insurance in case TR not ready or Zion not progressing, not cause he was a big talent. Hope is that his adjustment period leads to greater production than last year or Thursday night. Fingers crossed
Seems like the OC searched for what’s comfortable for him rather than get the best talent and put them on the field. Coaches should have system, but adjust system to talent - rather than make knowing your system the premium thing to consider. And there is no evidence his system is successful at this level. I hope, I am wrong - but thus far the evidence is pointing in that direction.

Reaction Score
Seems like the OC searched for what’s comfortable for him rather than get the best talent and put them on the field. Coaches should have system, but adjust system to talent - rather than make knowing your system the premium thing to consider. And there is no evidence his system is successful at this level. I hope, I am wrong - but thus far the evidence is pointing in that direction.
You have to give it more than one game, 1 year after going from 1 win to 6. The biggest thing we are lacking are playmakers at the skill position other than RB. A game breaker would have caught that pass at the 50 and streaked into the endzone as the off balance defenders fell to the turf. It's not all about a magic game plan, when plays are there, they need to me made. But everyone needs more time, Mora, Charlton, Fagnano and the WRs. There seems to be this desperation that we somehow missed an opportunity to impress against an ACC opponent in a big spot. Fact is that type of performance was unthinkable 2 years ago. Things ARE trending in the right direction. If game 2 provides the same stagnation in the passing game then yeah let's revisit this

Reaction Score
You have to give it more than one game, 1 year after going from 1 win to 6. The biggest thing we are lacking are playmakers at the skill position other than RB. A game breaker would have caught that pass at the 50 and streaked into the endzone as the off balance defenders fell to the turf. It's not all about a magic game plan, when plays are there, they need to me made. But everyone needs more time, Mora, Charlton, Fagnano and the WRs. There seems to be this desperation that we somehow missed an opportunity to impress against an ACC opponent in a big spot. Fact is that type of performance was unthinkable 2 years ago. Things ARE trending in the right direction. If game 2 provides the same stagnation in the passing game then yeah let's revisit this

From the other day/front page of Hearst paper’s Sport section today (hyperlink in excerpt is a shortcut to full article):

-> "We need to throw the ball better," UConn coach Jim Mora said. "It's hard to throw against the type of defense they were playing when they got the lead. They were rushing three and dropping eight and rolling up on both wideouts. They were making us check it down. That's not easy.

"That last throw by Joe, people will probably ask me what happened, and I don't know yet. I think that somebody broke off a route that they shouldn't have, but I want to confirm that. Otherwise, I think Joe kind of showed us what we like about him which is his composure and his ability to extend a play and make good decisions." <-

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
Most of our problems seem correctable. I'm optimistic. This UConn team is not your father's Oldsmobile.

Reaction Score
At what level? We’ve played one game this year, and we are not on the same level as NC State. Let’s see how things play out, but if your point is that our OC isn’t on a Top 40-ish level — well, neither is our program or our roster.

Reaction Score
If that’s the rule it is all about a subjective view of “intent”. Was he being demeaning to the other team? I think not, there’s zero evidence to indicate that or through the reaction by the other team. Not even close.
Ok. As a casual fan, what do you think his subjective intent was?

Don't see requirement for intent in this part of the rule only that he be "unopposed":

(e) An unopposed ball carrier obviously altering stride as he approaches the opponent’s goal line or diving into the end zone.

Reaction Score
How much time did Colorado need on the road vs. last year's championship runner up? One GAME after going 1-11 and with 80 something new players.
Biggest thing is poor coaching decisions and lack of player discipline. Kick off guy who can't reach end zones, very vanilla play calling (easy to defend) and wacky trick plays, no adjustment to game action where QB gets too many 1st downs running, poor clock management (the next to last possession were hiking ball with 5 seconds on play clock vs. should have been 25). Stupid penalties (putting aside ref's bad eyesight and one way discretion).
This game was not trending in the right direction from last year, it was the same bad offense from the last 2 games, just tying their shoes correctly would be trending the right direction from HCRE2.0.

Reaction Score
How much time did Colorado need on the road vs. last year's championship runner up? One GAME after going 1-11 and with 80 something new players.
Biggest thing is poor coaching decisions and lack of player discipline. Kick off guy who can't reach end zones, very vanilla play calling (easy to defend) and wacky trick plays, no adjustment to game action where QB gets too many 1st downs running, poor clock management (the next to last possession were hiking ball with 5 seconds on play clock vs. should have been 25). Stupid penalties (putting aside ref's bad eyesight and one way discretion).
This game was not trending in the right direction from last year, it was the same bad offense from the last 2 games, just tying their shoes correctly would be trending the right direction from HCRE2.0.
That's the standard? They paid him 30 million, who knows how much for his staff and allowed him to jettison the entire roster. Compare apples to apples. Especially when they were perfectly fine letting the previous guy run it into ground more and more every year.

Reaction Score
If you think what Sanders did is something that a team outside the P-5, or someone who wasn't an NFL star, could duplicate you're nuts.

Reaction Score
If that’s the rule it is all about a subjective view of “intent”. Was he being demeaning to the other team? I think not, there’s zero evidence to indicate that or through the reaction by the other team. Not even close.
The rule is very clearly defined and has zero leeway for defining intent. It defines a break of the rule as someone who is unopposed and dives into the endzone. That is literally what they have defined as demeaning or provoking ill will etc. It says zero about intent and rather clearly defines that the particular action that Rosa did is what they consider a break of the rule.

Reaction Score
Us not spying the quarterback is part of the reason we lost. Thats a coaches error.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
Nice synopsis. As much as it hurt us, I get the refs calling the penalty on the Rosa touchdown (yes it’s the rule) although, frankly, had it not been called, I doubt it would have resulted in NCSt’s coaches rushing the refs to howl about it.
And yes there was disparity in the penalty calls; which unfortunately happens all too often when the visiting team’s conference refs have no incentive to give the Independent any “special handling”.
But as for the other debacle of the night, the one most responsible for us losing the game, sorry, but there’s just no excuse (other than a coach’s stubborn philosophy) for not spying the QB after watching him scamper for multiple first downs—repeatedly—after we cut off his passing options. Fool us once, yup, twice, sure, three times,ok. But allowing him to scamper for first downs 14 times out of his 19 rushes? Wonder how long ND will wait before clamping down on him next week.
Hearing Mora say “we don’t spy” was the saddest comment of the night.
Too true- I trust in HCJM- but my faith was shaken by what you describe, as well as a seeming absence of prep for the NCST qb's strengths and refusal/inability to adjust. That plus goofy discipline problems with stupid penalties and horrendous over-running/ tackling make me question the coaching far more than any talent differential.

Reaction Score
Nice synopsis. As much as it hurt us, I get the refs calling the penalty on the Rosa touchdown (yes it’s the rule) although, frankly, had it not been called, I doubt it would have resulted in NCSt’s coaches rushing the refs to howl about it.
And yes there was disparity in the penalty calls; which unfortunately happens all too often when the visiting team’s conference refs have no incentive to give the Independent any “special handling”.
But as for the other debacle of the night, the one most responsible for us losing the game, sorry, but there’s just no excuse (other than a coach’s stubborn philosophy) for not spying the QB after watching him scamper for multiple first downs—repeatedly—after we cut off his passing options. Fool us once, yup, twice, sure, three times,ok. But allowing him to scamper for first downs 14 times out of his 19 rushes? Wonder how long ND will wait before clamping down on him next week.
Hearing Mora say “we don’t spy” was the saddest comment of the night.
Spy? Didn’t need to spy the QB. How about the LBs make a play and DE’s don’t lose contain?

I think Mora can run a defense. Saw no scheme issues. Issue was tackling.

Reaction Score
At what level? We’ve played one game this year, and we are not on the same level as NC State. Let’s see how things play out, but if your point is that our OC isn’t on a Top 40-ish level — well, neither is our program or our roster.
Agree with BL here. NC State a better football team. We needed them to make a mistake to win. They didn’t. Now, we’ll bare what real expectations are. If UConn can’t score in Gia state, which gave up 35 and 400+ yards to Rhode island, then we got a problem.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Us not spying the quarterback is part of the reason we lost. Thats a coaches error.
We can't be as sure of this as you are claiming.

If we spied on Armstrong, we would have either removed someone from coverage or from the pass rush. Either would have made it easier for them to beat us in the passing game. It could be argued that they would have gained more yards with passes than with QB runs. It may have been a tactical decision on the lesser of a couple of evils.

Reaction Score
The rule is very clearly defined and has zero leeway for defining intent. It defines a break of the rule as someone who is unopposed and dives into the endzone. That is literally what they have defined as demeaning or provoking ill will etc. It says zero about intent and rather clearly defines that the particular action that Rosa did is what they consider a break of the rule.
A voice of reason in the wilderness.

Reaction Score
Agree with BL here. NC State a better football team. We needed them to make a mistake to win. They didn’t. Now, we’ll bare what real expectations are. If UConn can’t score in Gia state, which gave up 35 and 400+ yards to Rhode island, then we got a problem.
I think we are just kidding ourselves, if we thought we saw a smooth operating offense yesterday and adequate pressure on the QB.
To me and to refs doing the Bama game “to demean” the defense is subjective and where intent comes into play.

The only call that went our way all night was was the one that was totally objective by its nature.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Agree with BL here. NC State a better football team. We needed them to make a mistake to win.
They did. They just got enough help from the stripes that it didn't matter. Don't get me wrong, I'm not filled with "we were robbed" outrage, but they got a little help when they needed it.

Reaction Score
McFadden wasn't getting the ball into the endzone on kickoffs. Does anyone remember if he did two years ago, pre-ACL injury? Go with Ruelas on kickoffs?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom