The Undefeated: Next to Fall? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The Undefeated: Next to Fall?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Arkansas St, formerly UA LR isn't Arkansas that's Fayetteville, Ark--The Razorbacks are typically the better team. Unlike UA Pinebluff
The Arkansas State Red Wolves, based in Jonesboro AR, compete in the Sun Belt Conference.

The Little Rock (formerly UALR) Trojans are now compete in the Ohio Valley Conference.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I’m sorry, @visitingcock I’m watching the South Dakota State game and it’s sort of competitive… but it really shouldn’t be. SC up 14-10 mid-2nd quarter. It shouldn’t be this close. SC should be winning 35-10.

I think this is what everyone’s talking about with these cream puff schedules. Motivation slackens and SC plays a listless first half. Maybe they’ll run away with it in the second half.
Why should SCar be up by 25? The Jacks are not a cream puff team, and they have a good game plan that they're executing. They won the NIT last year, and their main competition in the Summit went to the Sweet Sixteen.

Reaction Score
Why should SCar be up by 25? The Jacks are not a cream puff team, and they have a good game plan that they're executing. They won the NIT last year, and their main competition in the Summit went to the Sweet Sixteen.
If you'd watched the game, you'd see why. SC blocked like a hundred shots in a row, but somehow couldn't manage to box out a smaller, slower team. Yeah, the Jackrabbits are a decent team. but there's no way they're competitive with SC.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
If you'd watched the game, you'd see why. SC blocked like a hundred shots in a row, but somehow couldn't manage to box out a smaller, slower team. Yeah, the Jackrabbits are a decent team. but there's no way they're competitive with SC.
I watched the whole game, and I’ve seen both the Jacks and the Gamecocks several times in the last few years. This game didn’t surprise me at all. SDSU is inconsistent. The good version almost showed up tonight. Good defense, and if they’d made a few wide open layups and a couple more wide open threes, the result may have been different.

Reaction Score
South Carolina has on this year's schedule, 2 top 10 teams and 3 other teams in the top 25. Seems a little weak for a number one team.
There are several areas where I disagree with Dawn Staley but weak scheduling is certainly not one of them. She is not afraid to play tough teams and has shown that over and over. This may not be her toughest schedule ever but it’s a veritable gauntlet compared to Kim’s.

Reaction Score
The Jack Rabbits are the type of mid-major teams a lot of P5 schools don't want to play because a loss will look bad for them being the 5th, 6th, or 7th team from their league getting a bid, and playing them might improve South Dakota State's SOS enough for them to have a shot at getting an at large bid if they don't win their conference championship.

This is why I think there should be a rule that no more than 5 at large bids per conference are awarded.

It looks like before tonight's game; South Dakota State's SOS was 10. Would be interesting to see what is tomorrow. Props to Dawn for being willing to play a dangerous mid-major team in an away game and possibly help them get an at-large bid if they don't win their conference championship. Right now, their projected SOS at the end of the season is 80 because of their league.

They came in 2nd in the Summit last year and won the WNIT. What did Arizona do the year after they won the WNIT?

Right now Massey has them ranked 45th, basically in the middle of the SEC rankings, with Kentucky/Arkansas at 42/43.

In 2016 they had two shots in the last couple seconds against Stanford down 1 in the round of 32. First shot was blocked. Stanford lost to Washington in the Elite 8, who lost to Syracuse in the semi-finals.

In 2019 they made it to the Sweet 16 after beating Syracuse, losing to #2 seeded Oregon 53-63-- in the Portland Regional.

Reaction Score
The Jack Rabbits are the type of mid-major teams a lot of P5 schools don't want to play because a loss will look bad for them being the 5th, 6th, or 7th team from their league getting a bid, and playing them might improve South Dakota State's SOS enough for them to have a shot at getting an at large bid if they don't win their conference championship.

This is why I think there should be a rule that no more than 5 at large bids per conference are awarded.

It looks like before tonight's game; South Dakota State's SOS was 10. Would be interesting to see what is tomorrow. Props to Dawn for being willing to play a dangerous mid-major team in an away game and possibly help them get an at-large bid if they don't win their conference championship. Right now, their projected SOS at the end of the season is 80 because of their league.

They came in 2nd in the Summit last year and won the WNIT. What did Arizona do the year after they won the WNIT?

Right now Massey has them ranked 45th, basically in the middle of the SEC rankings, with Kentucky/Arkansas at 42/43.

In 2016 they had two shots in the last couple seconds against Stanford down 1 in the round of 32. First shot was blocked. Stanford lost to Washington in the Elite 8, who lost to Syracuse in the semi-finals.

In 2019 they made it to the Sweet 16 after beating Syracuse, losing to #2 seeded Oregon 53-63-- in the Portland Regional.
Nice analysis, especially about scheduling priorities. You make several really good points.

Reaction Score
Monday Morning Update:

Arkansas 13-0

LSU 12-0
Virginia 12-0

Indiana 11-0
tOSU 11-0
SCar 11-0
St. John’s 11-0

Kansas 10-0
Utah 10-0

Rice 9-0

Reaction Score
Monday Morning Update:

Arkansas 13-0

LSU 12-0
Virginia 12-0

Indiana 11-0
tOSU 11-0
SCar 11-0
St. John’s 11-0

Kansas 10-0
Utah 10-0

Rice 9-0
Arkansas is looking good!

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
There are some teams out there playing cupcakes that will start like a lion and finish like a lamb trying to make the NCAAs Then there is a depleted UConn team that will come on strong by March when theyre healthy. Team records serve the coach well. You almost cant get fired or replaced because of a winning record and if you make the NCAAs some coaches contracts have bonus's attached for making the tourney.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
There are posts in this thread that remind me of the Summitt board from 25 years ago. :( The Tennessee fans used to say the same derogatory things about UConn and its schedule. Back then, no big names wanted to risk losing to a brash upstart from Connecticut so Geno had trouble scheduling too

Let’s not forget our roots and become insufferable old guard

Reaction Score
I kind of agree with you on this, the highest Massey rated team that LSU has played so far is Tulane and they are rated #82. Coach Mulkey just lucked out, today's game against #338 was cancelled so she stays undefeated so far this season.

Here are the teams with their current Massey ratings that LSU has faced so far this season.

Tulane #82
UAB #145
SE Louisiana #199
George Mason #207
Houston Christian #280
Bellamine #310
W. Carolina #334
Northwestern St #342
Mississippi Valley St #356

She did the same thing while at Baylor, there is a reason why she has so many wins as a coach, she schedules teams like these before the conference schedule begins. Out of the top 60 Massey rated teams, she has the weakest SOS with a rating of 237. The closest to her is W. Virginia and they are rated #56 and has a SOS of 228.
If a was a big time recruit I would take a good long look at her scheduling. Why would you want to be on an elite team and play such a weak schedule? You will hardly ever be featured on ESPN in the OOC, and as a competitor all of those cupcakes have to feel unsatisfying. Mulkey's players aren't tested very much. I don't think she has a very good track record with developing WNBA players either. Not like Geno or Muffett. How can you develop when you are playing practice squads for a majority of the year?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
UCLA holds on to win 59 56. USC had the ball with 11 seconds left and turned the ball over.
Nothing will make a coach cuss, :mad: and become irate than a turn over at this point in a game when you have a chance to win or tie the game, especially and unforced turnover. You work hard for 39 minutes and 49 seconds to stay in the game only to give it away in the final seconds. Maybe things will get better for USC next year when Juju Watkins joins the team.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Saylor did the right thing leaving UConn. Like Mir McLean (Virginia), she's getting minutes and opportunities she would not have gotten at UConn. Not this year anyway.
I disagree that Saylor wouldn't be playing much for UConn this year. She has a good handle and played some point guard in high school. She's an excellent passer and is averaging three assists for Arkansas. She's a Swiss Army Knife and could have filled in for Dorka, Caroline, and Azzi when they've been injured.

I do agree that Arkansas is a better fit for her, but she could certainly contribute to UConn this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom