The Time Has Come | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The Time Has Come

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I agree with a lot of what you've written here and agree that the talent pool is so large now that there is parity in the game as far as how that talent is spread out. There's also many players who want to be "that player" that got a program on the map and leads them to the FF - Caitlin Clark is a great example. 10-12 years ago she would have gone to Notre Dame, Stanford, or UConn, but she wanted to stay home and create something, which she has done.

The only adaptation I wish Geno would make is his banishment to the bench of players who don't practice to his expectations, and DiBarry is a perfect example of that (also Kiah Stokes). I think she could help them when they face a team w a big post player (like UCLA). I love AE, but she's not a 5, and she won't be when she moves on to the pro's.

The one criticism I have of this team is they are not good rebounders. When we get beat, we usually get beaten badly on the boards, and the defensive boards especially. The other team gets Offensive rebounds which lead to 2nd chance points.

All that said, I hope this team sticks together & gels. Get the freshmen going, and stay as healthy as possible going into March. I wouldn't care if we lost 7 or 8 games this year if it meant we were ready for March and made it to the FF again.

GO HUSKIES!
Your paragraphs two and three is mainly caused by coaching. UConn has a 6'5" player sitting on the bench for two and a half seasons. She came here to be coached and have her skills enhanced. Is it all her fault she has not improved much? Also, The starters struggled in the first quarter yesterday and the substitutes helped make the game close. So, what does Geno do? He plays the starters at the beginning of the third quarter and the deficit grew. Why reward the starters when they are not playing well and keep the players who helped cut the deficit on the bench? This thing of fans should not point out some of Geno's faults because we have not won 11 NC has gotten old. Good teams have figured out how to stop UConn's offense. I used to love watching UConn's games with its flowing offense. Now even when they win it is hard to watch them play. Also, UConn has better talent than Iowa, but Iowa does not struggle on offense as much as UConn does and they have one main scorer in Clark. UConn fans are complaining that Paige has too much to carry by herself. For those who say Paige is better than Clark now is her time to show it but, she will need help from her coaches and teammates. Btw, I think Paige is a more complete player than Clark.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Were we a #-team playing and losing to the #2? Seems reasonable to me. It happens quite often; indeed, it's the expected outcome. Of course we must accept the fact that the numbering/ranking means something. If we think otherwise-- well, you might say we weren't suppose to lose. I don't buy the thinking that this was our game to lose. UCLA showed that they were the higher seeded team and, they played as such. Injuries notwithstanding, my issue is that we have quietly slipped into a one dimensional team with one (and sometimes 2) player who is selected to lead the pack. We have become quite boring to watch. And we are quite predictable in the things we do. For me, these issues are a combination of dare I say, players and coaching. The oppositions know our plays-- primary and secondary, and we are not created to do other. Much of this is on coaching. The latter is a shame because it makes the assistants look back and is easy to insinuate that they brought nothing new to the table. Size is of course important, but it isn't that that is killing us. We have, as far back to the BE, been undone by smart bald handling guards with the ability to go end-to-end. And why is it taking so long for us to wake-up. Somethings it seem as if we are still running drills while the game has long started. Lastly, having given up the usual burdens (like guarantees), there are only delights to be had ahead for me. Come aboard if you dare.

Reaction Score
I don’t believe UConn is failing at recruiting (we are still attracting top players) and I don’t believe that injuries are the root of the problem either. There is simply a) more parity, and b) UConn does not seem to be able to excel in areas where we used to excel. The lack of rebounding, the long offensive cold stretches with a lot of standing around (and missing open/easy buckets), and lackluster defense. When we execute these things we see UConn is pretty hard to beat. But when we don’t, it gets ugly. Difference is that in the past we used to consistently execute. Now we do not. Is it the coaching? The players? A mix of both? I don’t know.

I said it in the game thread but it’s one thing if we are playing to the best of our ability and still get beat. That’s understandable. Sometimes you’re just not good enough no matter what. But these past few seasons — starting back in the 2019-20 season — we simply just beat ourselves first.

Reaction Score
I think the time has come for all Boneyarders to face the fact that UConn is no longer the force that it once was, and never will be again. I'm not saying that a National Championship will not be won by UConn in the future, just that we are not the formidable team that WCBB has feared in the last 25 years. The basketball players coming out now are incredible, and there are so many of them. In the past, freshmen weren't expected to play major roles in their first year, but now many have had huge impacts on their teams right away. The coaching is so much better, and Universities are paying more attention to the womens game as opposed to the past.
It is time, and I realized that last night, that we don't have to get so upset when we lose. There are some great teams out there and they all want a piece of us. We are still the program that everybody loves to hate, and still the program that everybody wants to beat. I am proud to be a UConn fan, and although we may not dominate like we used to, we can still hang with anybody. It's just time to acknowledge that we will win and lose on occasion, but we are still UConn and we will never back down to anyone. Now we are the underdogs, and people that count us out will have a rude awakening because our pride, our skill, our determination will not go away. We are UConn, and we will always be the toughest opponent that everyone else will have to deal with.
UConn is no longer the force that it once was, and never will be again.

Too premature for that conclusion. This would have been a very different year with a completely healthy roster. Chris Dailey said Jana was the best player in the Euro tourney and had a chip on her shoulder which UConn could really use. She would have instantly impacted Edwards' game for the better. We also won't get to see how a healthy duo of Paige and Azzi might have clicked with considerable playing time together.

Even though the competition has greatly improved, one player can still make a very big difference - see C. Clark. If Geno had Boston, he'd have another title or two and UConn was def in the running. One great get will put him right back in the conversation.

Two factors in favor of your argument --- injuries which have disproportionately affected the team and Geno's age. I have no doubt, much like with Jim Calhoun, that recruits are being told that he won't be around by the time you graduate. That may be mitigated somewhat by the new transfer rules. Kids may still play a year for Geno and then move on.

Reaction Score
Your paragraphs two and three is mainly caused by coaching. UConn has a 6'5" player sitting on the bench for two and a half seasons. She came here to be coached and have her skills enhanced. Is it all her fault she has not improved much? Also, The starters struggled in the first quarter yesterday and the substitutes helped make the game close. So, what does Geno do? He plays the starters at the beginning of the third quarter and the deficit grew. Why reward the starters when they are not playing well and keep the players who helped cut the deficit on the bench? This thing of fans should not point out some of Geno's faults because we have not won 11 NC has gotten old. Good teams have figured out how to stop UConn's offense. I used to love watching UConn's games with its flowing offense. Now even when they win it is hard to watch them play. Also, UConn has better talent than Iowa, but Iowa does not struggle on offense as much as UConn does and they have one main scorer in Clark. UConn fans are complaining that Paige has too much to carry by herself. For those who say Paige is better than Clark now is her time to show it but, she will need help from her coaches and teammates. Btw, I think Paige is a more complete player than Clark.
It was Aubrey griffin almost singlehandly and paige who got the team back in the gamr
Aubrey made a 3 a steal for a layup a blocked shot
And paige I think had 9 or 11 pts in q-2
The “players who helped cut the deficit” were

Reaction Score
Is it possible that "Our practices are harder than the games" is the right thing with players competing all year-round ? Look at Paige and Azzi traveling to NYC to work out and get better. They push themselves extremely hard. We in the past three years have had a lot of our top line players get injured. It seems more than most teams. I can't think of a team that has as many injuries as us. We also tend to play our starters in tournaments such as the the Cayman Islands 35 minutes in the first game and then come back the next day and do it again. Should Paige play 35 minutes again today?

This is not a knock on Geno but a discussion.

As you said with all our players healthy I think we can compete with anybody.
Harder practice compounded with tight schedule prone to get more injury !

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
So, what does Geno do? He plays the starters at the beginning of the third quarter and the deficit grew. Why reward the starters when they are not playing well and keep the players who helped cut the deficit on the bench? This thing of fans should not point out some of Geno's faults
Go back a few years to a ND game, ND built a big lead subs, Azura, led the 2nd quarter comeback, start of 3rd quarter starters back in comeback momentum lost, game lost.

Reaction Score
So many people blaming injuries, or saying injuries are the only reason we've regressed its crazy. Two things can be true, injuries have hindered the team over the last three years.....but so has the general growth of WBB. Every team is more talented now, every team is more physical now, and every team is far closer to us than they ever have been. This is seen across the sport, look at all the upsets that happen nowadays.

The biggest question to me is what they will do to address the injury situation, because I think it is pretty clear that it started three years ago with a change of staff. Thats a discussion many here are not willing to entertain though.

Reaction Score
I think what a lot of people are failing to take into account, is the likelihood that this team is dispirited and discouraged after realizing that, for the third year in a row, we are having to play with one hand tied behind our back! I think, like last year, we will see them regroup and start to play better. Caroline should be shut down, Geno should swallow his reluctance to play DeBerry, and we should all accept that #12 is likely going to have to wait for another year! Let’s just hope they can grow into a solid team over the next few weeks. I think the focus should be on improving our defense and rebounding! We’re not going to be able to replace Azzi and Caroline’s three point shooting but we can become a better defensive team even with 4 rookies!

Reaction Score
UConn is no longer the force that it once was, and never will be again.

Too premature for that conclusion. This would have been a very different year with a completely healthy roster. Chris Dailey said Jana was the best player in the Euro tourney and had a chip on her shoulder which UConn could really use. She would have instantly impacted Edwards' game for the better. We also won't get to see how a healthy duo of Paige and Azzi might have clicked with considerable playing time together.

Even though the competition has greatly improved, one player can still make a very big difference - see C. Clark. If Geno had Boston, he'd have another title or two and UConn was def in the running. One great get will put him right back in the conversation.

Two factors in favor of your argument --- injuries which have disproportionately affected the team and Geno's age. I have no doubt, much like with Jim Calhoun, that recruits are being told that he won't be around by the time you graduate. That may be mitigated somewhat by the new transfer rules. Kids may still play a year for Geno and then move on.
UCONN has had an unparalleled run of combo of (1) bad luck and (2) injury issues since Stewie left - which frankly could end up dooming them for being dominant for several, sveral years. And nothing to do with "parity" but the above 2 factors.

16-17 Bad luck. Lost on buzzer beater.
17-18 Bad luck. Lost on buzzer beater.
18-19 Bad luck. Lost because the team turned unexpectedly too small with Stevens leaving and Charli Collier verballed early then a devastating hurricane hit Texas and she chose to stay home instead to help her family nothing to do with not wanting to come to UCONN. All weather related.

19-20 UCONN was extremely small. A power rebounder like Collier could have helped but UCONN probably wouldn't have won anyway.

20-21 Bad luck. The year of Paige. UCONN loses Megan Walker (bad luck). I know some posters didn't care for her the fact remains she was a very good scorer relied upon as a junior to be the top option and did it well. True she didn't play big vs elite opponents, but she wouldn't have been the number 1 star in 20-21 UCONN team. And to think that UCONN wouldn't have been able to get past Arizona in which UCONN had another option to score- imo is highly, highly doubtful. We lost a 1st team a/a - if she stayed- we probably win it all.

21-22 Injuries. UCONN goes in to Finals vs South Carolina - 1,) The whole season Aubrey gone. 2.) Dorka hurt during tourney. 3.) Azzi can't play in Finals. 4.) Caroline playing but not the same. 5.) Liv hurts herself in FF vs Stanford playing hurt vs SC. 6.) Paige hurt for nearly all season in which team never had much chance to work with her. How much more of an advantage did South Carolina need? UCONN did cut the lead to 7 in the 4th qtr.

22-23 Injuries. Don't have to say anything about last year, right?

The big issue with all of this is in the past kids that were 10, 12, 14, 16 etc. were growing up always watching UCONN winning and usually by a lot. What's given UCONN greatness in their last 9 titles were #1 recruits DT, Maya, and Stewie. OFC without Tina or without Jefferson etc. UCONN doesn't win. But the point is, they always got that super super super recruit. All this losing makes the super super super recruit just naturally look at other programs more than they might have otherwise preferred to do if UCONN remained "dominant." SO in part you're not only looking to Geno vs other coaches, but Storrs vs other places in terms of campus and location, and P5 conference vs Big East etc vs in the past the winning and style they played always was a reality that was hard to shake off.

Without all the winning in which many were convincing in such beauty basketball, UCONN now doesn’t look as awesome in terms of style which I’m sure the super super super recruit would notice. Imo Sarah Strong is such an important “get.” If not her-- then someone they have now or in the future needs to be very super among the best in wcbb very soon. Paige is graduating. We need a super player – unless she stays.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The references to recruiting are not backed up by the facts
Amari Deberry was a very highly recruited 6/6
Big player

A Patterson what is considered the best power forward in her class

Jana el efy if she was an American player would’ve been one of the top recruits in Country

Ice Brady was considered the 2nd best post player in her class

So this narrative the Gino can’t recruit big players is simply not true
It’s certainly fair to say that they haven’t had an impact due to injuries, and not developing as quickly as perhaps the coaching staff would like

It seems that folks should realize three things

Injuries have been a huge factor

Some players may not have developed as much as the coaching staff anticipated

And even if all these players were playing at great levels, UConn still does not have a talent advantage over many of the top programs

Unlike many who are commenting, I actually watch the game yesterday and I saw a team that played very very hard and Whlle there may have been a pathway to win the game if they could’ve made some shots to start the third quarter
It was a parent to me that UCLA had more talent. It was the better team.

I listen to the interview with UCLA coach after the game and after she had lots of praise on the UConn program and I am paraphrasing what she said, they expected to win the game that they weren’t playing the UConn teams of yesteryear, and that she didn’t believe her team played particularly well

All that being said, I do believe the team will improve, but they will have some serious shortcomings offensively that will be a real factor in the out of conference games

I for one enjoy watching the games and realize that this is sports and nothing is guaranteed and seems to play well do well

Might be time to celebrate the effort, and the hard work of all the players and realize it’s easy to be a fan when you’re winning championships and going to final fours

For what it’s worth that’s my take
Lou and Dorka carried the freight last year. We were saved by the portal. Aubrey has to develop an outside shot she trusts and Amari needs to get a post presence. Our many coaches have to work with them, one on one( daily) until it happens. And the hungry frosh will eventually fill the other gaps until the portal gives us a big. Go Huskies.

Reaction Score
I think the time has come for all Boneyarders to face the fact that UConn is no longer the force that it once was, and never will be again. I'm not saying that a National Championship will not be won by UConn in the future, just that we are not the formidable team that WCBB has feared in the last 25 years. The basketball players coming out now are incredible, and there are so many of them. In the past, freshmen weren't expected to play major roles in their first year, but now many have had huge impacts on their teams right away. The coaching is so much better, and Universities are paying more attention to the womens game as opposed to the past.
It is time, and I realized that last night, that we don't have to get so upset when we lose. There are some great teams out there and they all want a piece of us. We are still the program that everybody loves to hate, and still the program that everybody wants to beat. I am proud to be a UConn fan, and although we may not dominate like we used to, we can still hang with anybody. It's just time to acknowledge that we will win and lose on occasion, but we are still UConn and we will never back down to anyone. Now we are the underdogs, and people that count us out will have a rude awakening because our pride, our skill, our determination will not go away. We are UConn, and we will always be the toughest opponent that everyone else will have to deal with.
BH, I've been saying this for years. As strange as it may sound we sort of created our own Frankenstein. Teams like Notre Dame, South Carolina and LSU had a student body who didn't even know their team existed. Once Uconn came on the scene and beat Tennessee things began to change and I truly believe that we were the primary instrument in that change. I also think it was something that Geno and every other proponent of woman's basketball was striving for.

Reaction Score
All this doom and gloom is nothing if not premature. I'm going to wait until the end of the season to make an informed decision. That's not "rose colored glasses" that's giving this team a chance to adjust to the hand they've been dealt.

Reaction Score
All this doom and gloom is nothing if not premature. I'm going to wait until the end of the season to make an informed decision. That's not "rose colored glasses" that's giving this team a chance to adjust to the hand they've been dealt.
On the flipside maybe threads like this will have a greater chance of eliminating any condescending nicknames of players.
Or not blasting the team as much after a win.
And eliminating the word "failure" from anyone's vocabulary if UCONN doesn't win a title.

Reaction Score
I see and predict the future... and Uconn will soon reign again. Trust me guys. In 3 year from now, Uconn will have the greatest team in sports history. Never forget these words I just said today, November 26th, 2023 at 1:11 am

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Many good teams
Many great players
Much more competition

And we've suffered far too many major injuries. Reminds me of the late 90's when we list Sales, Shea, Svet and Sue to injuries over the years.

This too will pass. We're fine

Reaction Score
Coming into this season I thought this was going to be a really solid championship-level team.............the injuries to Jana and Ayanna up front and now with the loss of Azzi and the continued unreliability of Carolyn have severely weakened the team's ability to compete against really good competition...........still, UConn's recent lack of championships can also be traced to a lack of recruiting one or two additional super athletic players, especially in the front court..............as good as Ailiyah is, she's simply not able to play intimidating defense against big, athletic frontcourts on her own.............Aubrey, while athletic is still an undersized forward and Ice may ultimately be the answer but she has a lot to learn..........look at the teams with the size and athleticism to dominate the boards like South Carolina........... even when they are having a poor shooting game, they simply crash the offensive boards for easy put backs ............if UConn doesn't shoot well, there's a good chance they won't win...........It's not all doom and gloom.............going forward UConn has two really skilled scoring recruits coming next season............if the injured players return to form and the portal can deliver a dominant rebounder and a second speedy guard UConn should stay in the NC discussion for years to come.....:)
Well said. Better than I could ever do.

Well, folks, as I said in the past and have repeated many times, we need a couple of big 6' 8" players with beef. In addition we need a strong strategy to recruit an attract these players with an aggressive training program when they arrive on how to be successful playing this position.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Well said. Better than I could ever do.

Well, folks, as I said in the past and have repeated many times, we need a couple of big 6' 8" players with beef. In addition we need a strong strategy to recruit an attract these players with an aggressive training program when they arrive on how to be successful playing this position.
Find one elite player over 6-5 on this list of top 100 players. There aren’t any and, in fact, there are only two as tall as 6-5. People need to give up this dream of 6-6 to 6-8(!) kids miraculously flocking to UConn. It ain’t happening

Reaction Score
Find one elite player over 6-5 on this list of top 100 players. There aren’t any and, in fact, there are only two as tall as 6-5. People need to give up this dream of 6-6 to 6-8(!) kids miraculously flocking to UConn. It ain’t happening

That's the point. They do not have to be elite players. They can be athletes who can be trained to be elite players.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think people are blinded by a four year Stewie/Moriah/Tuck stretch of excellence that was always going to be an outlier in the history of WCBB. It was pretty amazing what the team accomplished the following three years after that triumvirate graduated, then covid probably extended the FF streak by causing the tournament to be canceled, followed by both Paige Magic and a string of injuries.

If you look back at the history, 1995 was brilliant followed by a string of disappointment that was driven by bad luck, injuries, and rebuilding. 2000 was again brilliant, followed by an injury laden disaster, followed by the brilliant 2002, and a couple of very lucky DT inspired titles for Uconn's first three-peat. The string of three titles ended with three years in the wilderness S16, E8, E8 and a growing sense of despair among the fans. Tina, followed by Maya lead to a return to the FF (the start of the just ended record streak of FF appearances), and 2 NCs. Then Maya's senior year ended in the FF and an unheralded center recruit (outside the top 30 I believe) Dolson surprisingly led a team with 3 BE losses to the FF to keep the string alive. The triumvirate arrived the next year and thanks to Louisville's take down of Griner started the only 4 peat in the history of the women's game and the 'Uconn is bad for WCBB ' discussions.

It really hasn't been a juggernaut for 25 years, it has relied on a lot of good luck sprinkled with some very bad luck to get to today. And our current run of bad luck.

People talk about offensive issues but the thing that strikes me is defense. Before this year, when was the last time an opponent scored 92 points against Uconn in regulation? How often has a team shot 52.5% against Uconn? Or 48% on threes? It is early in the year, injuries have already appeared, and the offense is a work in progress, but I don't remember when the defense even early on was so poor.

I do agree that a review of training regimes is called for, and maybe a review of practice schedules. This is probably just really rotten luck, but it is starting approach biblical proportions.

I agree that there is more talent (and as importantly, better coaching) spread around a few more teams as the women's game has matured and more institutions take it seriously. But truly dominant teams have been rare for Uconn or for other programs. Uconn in 2002, 2009-10, and Uconn 2014-16, Baylor 2012, TN 1998 is my list. Beyond that there are always a handful of really good teams each year, and an extra handful of teams that are capable of getting hot in march and can surprise on of th really good teams..

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
That's the point. They do not have to be elite players. They can be athletes who can be trained to be elite players.
Like Piath Gabriel, Batouly Camara, Natalie Butler, and Heather Buck? He’s brought in relative unknowns before but they’re unathletic or incapable of guarding elite opponents. And there are very few 6-7, 6-8 girls, period.

You guys remember Geno has a commitment from 6-5 Gandy Malou-Mamel, right?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom