The Time Has Come | Page 3 | The Boneyard

The Time Has Come

Reaction Score
I think people are blinded by a four year Stewie/Moriah/Tuck stretch of excellence that was always going to be an outlier in the history of WCBB. It was pretty amazing what the team accomplished the following three years after that triumvirate graduated, then covid probably extended the FF streak by causing the tournament to be canceled, followed by both Paige Magic and a string of injuries.

If you look back at the history, 1995 was brilliant followed by a string of disappointment that was driven by bad luck, injuries, and rebuilding. 2000 was again brilliant, followed by an injury laden disaster, followed by the brilliant 2002, and a couple of very lucky DT inspired titles for Uconn's first three-peat. The string of three titles ended with three years in the wilderness S16, E8, E8 and a growing sense of despair among the fans. Tina, followed by Maya lead to a return to the FF (the start of the just ended record streak of FF appearances), and 2 NCs. Then Maya's senior year ended in the FF and an unheralded center recruit (outside the top 30 I believe) Dolson surprisingly led a team with 3 BE losses to the FF to keep the string alive. The triumvirate arrived the next year and thanks to Louisville's take down of Griner started the only 4 peat in the history of the women's game and the 'Uconn is bad for WCBB ' discussions.

It really hasn't been a juggernaut for 25 years, it has relied on a lot of good luck sprinkled with some very bad luck to get to today. And our current run of bad luck.

People talk about offensive issues but the thing that strikes me is defense. Before this year, when was the last time an opponent scored 92 points against Uconn in regulation? How often has a team shot 52.5% against Uconn? Or 48% on threes? It is early in the year, injuries have already appeared, and the offense is a work in progress, but I don't remember when the defense even early on was so poor.

I do agree that a review of training regimes is called for, and maybe a review of practice schedules. This is probably just really rotten luck, but it is starting approach biblical proportions.

I agree that there is more talent (and as importantly, better coaching) spread around a few more teams as the women's game has matured and more institutions take it seriously. But truly dominant teams have been rare for Uconn or for other programs. Uconn in 2002, 2009-10, and Uconn 2014-16, Baylor 2012, TN 1998 is my list. Beyond that there are always a handful of really good teams each year, and an extra handful of teams that are capable of getting hot in march and can surprise on of th really good teams..
good historical review. Drives home how what is happening now has happened before. Agree with your comment about reviewing training methods, in light of how many miles these young people have racked up on their bodies before they ever reach your program (focusing on one sport and playing constantly year round with little/no downtime)

Reaction Score
The four peat is something that will likely never be replicated in WCBB, especially with the age of the portal and NIL. The next few years the team was achingly close to a title so it sort of skewed the view of just how special that run was (at least in my opinion).

This run of injuries is unlike anything I've ever seen and as much as I hate it for the fans, I hate it for the kids and coaches even more who are trying to build something that is almost impossible with the circumstances.

I don't think UConn is "doomed" at all but the days of penciling in the FF or NC early on aren't likely to come back. There is just too much talent spread across the game now, which is largely a good thing.

sun

Reaction Score
There's also a bubble caused by the extra covid year & injury which is not historically typical.
6' 7" grad student Sedona Prince of TCU comes to mind.
She's averaging 21.4 PPG after pulling out of the WNBA draft.

Reaction Score
They don't need to be 6'6" to be strong rebounders........look at South Carolina forwards Feagin and Watkins who are both just 6'3" while Chloe Kitts is only 6'2" yet all are effective rebounders ........I'm hopeful that Patterson and Brady will help Edwards on the boards this season but they've got to prove it during important games.......

Horatio

Cohesion is the Key
Reaction Score
Way too many injuries. Never put the complete team on the court the past 2-3 years.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
They don't need to be 6'6" to be strong rebounders........look at South Carolina forwards Feagin and Watkins who are both just 6'3" while Chloe Kitts is only 6'2" yet all are effective rebounders ........I'm hopeful that Patterson and Brady will help Edwards on the boards this season but they've got to prove it during important games.......
When a team is doing all they can to keep 6’7” Kamilla Cardoso off the boards, that creates lanes for other players to rebound the basketball. Last season with Dorka playing center, Aaliyah averaged 9.0 rebounds per game. This season, without Dorka on the floor, Aaliyah’s rebounding average has fallen to 6.7 per game.

Reaction Score
I became a serious UConn fan in the 20-21 season. That year Geno had a core of Olivia Nelson-Ododa (who got a lot of grief on this board), Cristyn Williams, Evina Westbrook and Anna Makurat, plus 6 freshmen. Of those freshmen, Nika Muhl and Paige Beuckers both broke into the starting line-up and played together. This team, with 6 freshmen made it to the final four where they were beaten by Arizona. In midseason, they beat South Carolina, who played Aliyah Boston, Destanni Henderson, Brea Beal, Zia Cooke and Victaria Saxton, 63-59.

Nothing is out of the question. This season has yet to be played. An awful lot of hand wringing and weeping to no end, it seems to me.

Geno has demonstrated his ability to develop a team with one star player (Beuckers) with a solid core and go to the final four-- where anything can happen.

Maybe the freshmen land on their feet and settle into the system, start reproducing some of their stellar high school stats.

Maybe Geno lets Amari loose in games and she actually learns to produce. Maybe Ayanna Patterson gets healthy and lives up to her expectations.

It's a mistake to project the limitations of the past and present into the future when there are so many variables at play.

Texas will be an interesting game.

Reaction Score
I became a serious UConn fan in the 20-21 season. That year Geno had a core of Olivia Nelson-Ododa (who got a lot of grief on this board), Cristyn Williams, Evina Westbrook and Anna Makurat, plus 6 freshmen. Of those freshmen, Nika Muhl and Paige Beuckers both broke into the starting line-up and played together. This team, with 6 freshmen made it to the final four where they were beaten by Arizona. In midseason, they beat South Carolina, who played Aliyah Boston, Destanni Henderson, Brea Beal, Zia Cooke and Victaria Saxton, 63-59.

Nothing is out of the question. This season has yet to be played. An awful lot of hand wringing and weeping to no end, it seems to me.

Geno has demonstrated his ability to develop a team with one star player (Beuckers) with a solid core and go to the final four-- where anything can happen.

Maybe the freshmen land on their feet and settle into the system, start reproducing some of their stellar high school stats.

Maybe Geno lets Amari loose in games and she actually learns to produce. Maybe Ayanna Patterson gets healthy and lives up to her expectations.

It's a mistake to project the limitations of the past and present into the future when there are so many variables at play.

Texas will be an interesting game.
The impact of Ono's intimidating presence in the lane can't be underestimated.......how many shots did she block or force the shooter into an uncomfortable trajectory? Even though she was only 6'4" that's the one area where height (and long arms) really can make a difference

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I'm more concerned that UConn's game isn't as flowing (fun to watch) lately. I watch for the way they play rather than to see them win every game.
My sentiment as well. To paraphrase some popular advice, I don't always remember the score but I remember how watching the team made me feel. The athletic symphony that was long a UConn trademark has been a lot harder to come by lately.

Reaction Score
I'm more concerned that UConn's game isn't as flowing (fun to watch) lately. I watch for the way they play rather than to see them win every game.
To be perfectly honest, for me a fun game is a win (although some wins are not fun). On the other hand, a loss is never fun. I don't care how "flowing" it was played. I think precious few real UConn fans would feel good about a flowing, well played loss.

Not picking on you Bigboote, you are a real fan.

Reaction Score
Depends on the height of the one boxing you out.

Reaction Score
Is it possible that "Our practices are harder than the games" is the right thing with players competing all year-round ? Look at Paige and Azzi traveling to NYC to work out and get better. They push themselves extremely hard. We in the past three years have had a lot of our top line players get injured. It seems more than most teams. I can't think of a team that has as many injuries as us. We also tend to play our starters in tournaments such as the the Cayman Islands 35 minutes in the first game and then come back the next day and do it again. Should Paige play 35 minutes again today?

This is not a knock on Geno but a discussion.

As you said with all our players healthy I think we can compete with anybody.
Every team out there has the same challenges as UConn so I wouldn't say it is the practices. I would question the Strength and Conditioning Program though and try to identify what they are doing differently that teams that don't have the injuries. Having a key injury in a year is one thing but having several every year is something you are doing and that needs to be fixed even if UConn never wins another game.

Reaction Score
Parity will save the game, but it won't save UConn....losing Azzi this year is not as bad as losing Paige last year, but losing Jana(over losing Azzi) might have been much worse. We are weak in the post, and most top teams are not.

Reaction Score
This team as currently constituted is, in my opinion, unbalanced. As such, they are not currently a top ten team in my opinion. The front court is weak compared to the top five teams and the guards are not scoring enough to compensate (they have not shown that they are an above average shooting group). These deficiencies may be worked out over time, but you can't expect that rebounding or shooting percentages are magically going to improve against the top echelon teams. I will be delighted to be proven wrong, but I have to accept what my eyes and the box scores are telling me.

Certainly injuries have contributed to the roster makeup that Geno can put on the floor. I think it is also important to understand that there are other teams out there with talented players too. There are teams that UConn will not match up well with and I think the beginning of the season has revealed the short comings that aren't going to go away before March. So, what to do? Take your lumps, regroup and with the Big East. Support the team. Celebrate the good and. Acknowledge and accept the not so good. Be encouraged by improvement. Get to the tournament, roll the dice, and see what happens.

I've also noticed that with the exception of South Carolina, no teams are currently curb stomping everyone in their way. I believe a season of chaos is upon us and what the landscape of women's college basketball in March may look totally different than it does today (with the exception of South Carolina. If they stay healthy, no one is going to get in their way).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom