The Thing About Bouknight | The Boneyard

The Thing About Bouknight

Reaction Score
As well as he's played the last ten games or so, does anyone else think that he's still going to have a game way beyond what we've seen yet? Since his scoring has become consistent his floor game seems to be getting better game by game as well, but offensively he still has long periods of time where he's too willing to let the game come to him and not having that killer's mentality that he gets for a few minutes at a time every so often.

I just think there is a gear he still hasn't found yet when he plays with Vital's intensity for an entire game and pushes towards 30 points knowing no one can stop him. We'll see.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I agree. We are still just seeing flashes of what he can do. He's a special kid.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
As well as he's played the last ten games or so, does anyone else think that he's still going to have a game way beyond what we've seen yet? Since his scoring has become consistent his floor game seems to be getting better game by game as well, but offensively he still has long periods of time where he's too willing to let the game come to him and not having that killer's mentality that he gets for a few minutes at a time every so often.

I just think there is a gear he still hasn't found yet when he plays with Vital's intensity for an entire game and pushes towards 30 points knowing no one can stop him. We'll see.

I could see that.

Reaction Score
His ceiling is very high and he really hasn't approached it yet. He will have games where he is unstoppable. The key is to score 40 points in a win.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Definitely true. He's already improved a lot this season. Looks a ton stronger (props to Sal on this).... and seems like he's only scratched the surface

Curiouser
Reaction Score
A key moment in his development was during the middle of his four-point play last night.

When he threw up the shot he went down on his ass and his back, and when he rolled back up he saw the shot finally bounce in. He stared at the floor for a second and then CV ran over to stand over him with his hand extended. Bouknight slapped his hand hard and look pissed and determined in a way I hadn't seen from him yet. Hurley caught the whole thing from the sideline and started slapping the floor, pointing at Bouknight and yelling something to the effect of "I farking love that!!! I LOVE THAT!!!" Of course he got up and sank the shot.

He was getting pounded by the Houston players all night--all our guys were--and he seemed to be getting more and more resilient and determined as the game went on.

I definitely think playing alongside CV these past several weeks has been a huge factor in his development and will continue to pay dividends.

Reaction Score
Sometimes if he makes a bad play or misses a shot badly, he hesitates too much the next time he gets the ball. He is such an unselfish player but I have no doubt he can and will take over games. He has already shown he can and soon we will see it on an even higher level.

Reaction Score
He, AG and CV are turning into a killer group that haven't seen since Bazz, Boat and Giffey. If only he returns there will be no question who is the lead dog.

Reaction Score
So good. A bit of polish and a legit All American candidate. Elite talent who scores in every way possible, incredibly versatile. No player in America I would rather have.

Reaction Score
The thing about Bouknight . . . He was the first player to Commit to UConn under Hurley, after all those losses! He’s the one that got the ball rolling downhill on the recruiting trail. And now that he’s exploding, I feel pure bliss for the kid. So very very deserving.

Reaction Score
Bouk has such a nice skillset already and there’s still so many things he can improve on. He’s capable of scoring in a variety of ways so even when he hasn’t been efficient, he’s able to finish with 15-20 points. He’s been improving a lot on the glass, and is definitely a more physical rebounder than he was at the beginning of the year. I’m looking forward to watching him start to be a little more assertive since he knows he’ll be the guy once CV is gone.

Reaction Score
Not sure he has it in him this year. Next year, if he's locked in mentally and in better shape, he could take off for a 40 point game easily.

Reaction Score
A key moment in his development was during the middle of his four-point play last night.

When he threw up the shot he went down on his ass and his back, and when he rolled back up he saw the shot finally bounce in. He stared at the floor for a second and then CV ran over to stand over him with his hand extended. Bouknight slapped his hand hard and look pissed and determined in a way I hadn't seen from him yet. Hurley caught the whole thing from the sideline and started slapping the floor, pointing at Bouknight and yelling something to the effect of "I farking love that!!! I LOVE THAT!!!" Of course he got up and sank the shot.

He was getting pounded by the Houston players all night--all our guys were--and he seemed to be getting more and more resilient and determined as the game went on.

I definitely think playing alongside CV these past several weeks has been a huge factor in his development and will continue to pay dividends.

Watch him trailing on the last minute dunk by Whaley on the breakaway, funny as hell. He's so happy and celebrating alone it's great to see. Watch the "Highlights" thread at the 5:50 spot and watch Bouk trailing it's hilarious, like he's willing Isaiah to dunk then celebrates :D

Reaction Score
Absolutely ... what I love about the kid is that he applies constant pressure on the opposing defense, forcing them to overplay and opening up lanes and opportunities for others. Fun to watch.

Reaction Score

This reminds me so much of Ben Gordon when he was starting to come into his own. You could see how talented he was, always capable of taking over the game whenever he wanted almost. Those were the times we used to call him "Gentle Ben" because he just wouldn't take charge. But when the light finally went on, Benny became a killer. Bouk already has that in spades, but when he finally realizes he's always the best player on the court, and no one can stop him? Then we gonna start to rock n roll!
Can't wait!!

Reaction Score
I see a 40 point game in his future. Needs to improve his handle and start breaking his man down off the dribble. Once he develops that he’ll be unstoppable.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
He seems much more willing to take a hit or three or four on the way to the rim than just a few months ago.

Reaction Score
Agree with OP. I think what is special about him is his efficiency. Because he knows how to get to the rim, finish through contact, and draw fouls, even if he's not shooting great he can fill it up. When his jumper is on, watch out cuz he is a 3-level guy. He reminds me of paul pierce a bit in that way, he's just kind of a natural born scorer, wily and crafty to get his shots.

The real difference for him is going to be when he has a summer to tighten up his handle, get stronger, and begin to bully smaller guards. Because there is no way a 6'7 kid can stay in front of him. Once he kinda learns to push around the pesky 6'1 kids they stick on him, woof good luck, 20+ ppg

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Think it'll be next year if he comes back. He seems really comfortable in that 15-23 range right now.

Reaction Score
We all saw the potential in Charleston. Almost out of nowhere he just explodes and does something magical in a basketball sense. There is clearly another level or two (what I call a Kemba level) with this kid...but it is under glass most of the time. It only seems to come out when we really, really need it.

I agree with others. Next season is when he figures out just how extraordinary he can be all the time. Kemba and Shabazz both had to grow into it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom