The State of Mississippi | Page 3 | The Boneyard

The State of Mississippi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Memphis plays off-campus, but the Liberty Bowl is only 2 miles from campus...moreover, most of our students live off campus.

imagejpg1_zps528eb5ae.jpg

Does the university offer transit to and from the stadium or do the kids just walk it or figure out their own transportation.

Reaction Score
That is quite possible. I imagine that there may be a sport or two that the school sponsors that at best I could care less about, at worst I don't like at all. That said, there would be absolutely no reason for me to go around knocking that sport, publicly claiming we should not be fielding a team or reveling in lack o success.

As coincidence would have it, Jonathan Chait has an article in this week's New York entitled "In Defense of Male Aggression: What Liberals Get Wrong About Football. " It's a little too long. The title got me though, so I kept reading. Again, a warning. It's a little long and, occasionally, academic in tone.

A ways down, in the left margin, there's a link to another Chait article on the Michigan football program. He's a Michigan alum and fan. His comments on the Michigan AD and coach look like something a Boneyarder might write. Not a self-styled "liberal hawk" and former New Republic Editor.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2014/10/what-liberals-get-wrong-about-football.html

Reaction Score
I'm guessing that ESPN is currently living in deathly fear that their long awaited college playoff will have such teams as Mississippi, Mississippi State and TCU in 3 of the 4 slots. Maybe the 2 Mississippi schools and TCU and Georgia Tech...might as well just run 3 Stooges reruns for all the folks who would watch. Of course since they control the selection process, it won't happen...but a guy can dream...

Reaction Score
Not sure what's lame or defensive about it . . . we all know the political/economic situation here.

Lame may be the wrong word. The last time I saw a large group of non relatives in CT was at my NBHS reunion. When you get to my age the conversations tend to eventually get to who has how many grand kids and where to live in retirement. I just noticed that a most of the classmates who had stayed in CT seemed to get a little tight and made affordability comments frequently when talking about the retirement part.

Reaction Score
I'm guessing that ESPN is currently living in deathly fear that their long awaited college playoff will have such teams as Mississippi, Mississippi State and TCU in 3 of the 4 slots. Maybe the 2 Mississippi schools and TCU and Georgia Tech...might as well just run 3 Stooges reruns for all the folks who would watch. Of course since they control the selection process, it won't happen...but a guy can dream...
If Alabama is in again I am NOT watching; however, if MS State or some other school is in then I AM watching.

Reaction Score
rich1122 said:
If Alabama is in again I am NOT watching; however, if MS State or some other school is in then I AM watching.

That puts you in an overwhelming minority.

Reaction Score
That puts you in an overwhelming minority.

Alabama is instant TV Off. Do they win a lot, yes. But it's a very boring team to watch. Plus their fans are idiots

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
TouchdownHusky said:
Don't particularly care for the northeast snobbishness. And more and more people moving to the south, so there must be something positive going on down there.

Improved comparative self esteem.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Don't particularly care for the northeast snobbishness. And more and more people moving to the south, so there must be something positive going on down there.

I haven't heard one good word said about the northeast from a southerner, ever. Nothing but an unending stream of insults, especially from their politicians. But one little crack about the south and they all get the vapors.

Reaction Score
I haven't heard one good word said about the northeast from a southerner, ever. Nothing but an unending stream of insults, especially from their politicians. But one little crack about the south and they all get the vapors.

People in the Northeast are self-absorbed s. So are Southerners -- they just hide it behind a shallow, fake magnanimity.

You want genuinely nice people? Try Bozeman, Missoula, or Jackson.

Reaction Score
http://espn.go.com/college-football...-pay-damages-fines-upset-alabama-crimson-tide

>>Ole Miss fans were so thrilled to beat Alabama on Saturday that they're paying for the damage they did and the fine imposed by the SEC. Through a crowd-funding platform, Ole Miss athletic director Ross Bjork asked fans Tuesday afternoon to help pay for the two goalposts torn down (each cost $11,000), the fine from the conference (a maximum $50,000 for rushing the field; it was the third time fans have done so in as many years) and $3,000 in stadium repairs. In less than three hours, the $75,000 was raised.<<

Reaction Score
http://espn.go.com/college-football...-pay-damages-fines-upset-alabama-crimson-tide

>>Ole Miss fans were so thrilled to beat Alabama on Saturday that they're paying for the damage they did and the fine imposed by the SEC. Through a crowd-funding platform, Ole Miss athletic director Ross Bjork asked fans Tuesday afternoon to help pay for the two goalposts torn down (each cost $11,000), the fine from the conference (a maximum $50,000 for rushing the field; it was the third time fans have done so in as many years) and $3,000 in stadium repairs. In less than three hours, the $75,000 was raised.<<

You left out that most of the donors were former SEC FB players who used part of their "stipend" to pay for the goal posts. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score

This is for the most part true. The one big difference I've personally experienced is that Southerners are much more honest about how they feel about you to your face. Whereas the northeastern snobs will phony it up then talk trash and look down their snobby noses at you behind your back. Much more weasely about it.

Reaction Score
This is for the most part true. The one big difference I've personally experienced is that Southerners are much more honest about how they feel about you to your face. Whereas the northeastern snobs will phony it up then talk trash and look down their snobby noses at you behind your back. Much more weasely about it.

I believe the exact opposite. Southerners are nice to your face (though smiling through their teeth) and then badmouth behind your back. Northeasterners are total pricks 100% of the time.

Reaction Score
People are people, they just have different ways at looking at life. If you think that southerners don't trash talk behind one's back, well bless your heart.

Well that's why it's stupid of all of us to talk in absolute terms.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
A story that I recently told a coworker (after a conference call in which he claimed the person on the other end was too nice to have been originally from here) pretty much sums this up:

Nearly 20 years ago, my (now ex) wife went on a shopping spree with her mother and at an outlet bought me quite a few tee shirts with different college logos on them (please, no comments on how she should have realized that only one logo, UConn, was necessary, I made that clear afterwards). A few months later I was with her and my son (who was about eight months old at the time and in a stroller) at a stripmall and out of nowhere I heay someone shouting "Hey!". At first I didn't think that it had anything to do with us but after another "Hey!" I see this guy, mid 20's about 6' 250, not exactly in shapre running towards us from about 30 yards away. When he gets closer he says "Y'all from Alabama?". My first thought was to respond "What?! Do I look like a f&*%$ng inbred idiot?!" but as I wasn't alone I was a bit more restrained and responded "No, what would you think that?". He said "I saw your shirt" (I was wearing an Alabama tee without even realizing it). His response was "I thought I found another sourhtherner. People up here are mean".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom